PDA

View Full Version : 99.7%...

yermom
11/12/2009, 02:39 PM
or reason #37 not to live in Detriot ;)

Local law enforcement agencies are raising millions of dollars by seizing private property suspected in crimes, but often without charges being filed -- and sometimes even when authorities admit no offense was committed.

http://detnews.com/article/20091112/METRO/911120388/Police-property-seizures-ensnare-even-the-innocent

C&CDean
11/12/2009, 02:50 PM
Scott D better watch them rims and that ghetto box in his smoove ride.

jaux
11/12/2009, 03:13 PM
Thread title of the year

47straight
11/12/2009, 03:26 PM
Sam was smart to stay. No chance he plays in Detroit.

Scott D
11/12/2009, 04:18 PM
Scott D better watch them rims and that ghetto box in his smoove ride.

too bad I drive a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee with standard rims and a radio that currently doesn't work because of a short in the CD player.

Somehow that story doesn't bother me, because due to the ineptness of previous law enforcement leadership there were a ridiculous amount of cold cases and unsolved cases. The new law enforcement leadership has done a massive turnaround.

Now if we could not only get rid of the Governor, but get her and her family deported back to Canada, I'd be on my way to being a happy camper.

I apparently live in one of the towns that has more than doubled it's revenue from seizures. I'm safe because I don't do drugs, I don't drink, I don't drive people anywhere, I don't solicit prostitutes, and I don't go to teen/college age parties.

C&CDean
11/12/2009, 04:20 PM
Dude, a pimp don't be drivin' no Jeep. Even Doleo drives him a Toyota.

Scott D
11/12/2009, 04:23 PM
I'm pretty sure that black law says I don't drive a Caddy until I'm 50...and since I don't expect to make it to that age, I don't need a Caddy.

C&CDean
11/12/2009, 04:49 PM
Muh****ah, you don't drive them Caddies, you sprawl out over the hood and look fly for the bitches. You just ain't black enough...

47straight
11/12/2009, 04:54 PM
Somehow that story doesn't bother me, because due to the ineptness of previous law enforcement leadership there were a ridiculous amount of cold cases and unsolved cases. The new law enforcement leadership has done a massive turnaround.

In the same vein as Mayor Guiliani's approach to NYC? Police step over the line some but it's better than the ineptness before?

KABOOKIE
11/12/2009, 05:02 PM
Come on yermom. It was 99.97%.

Scott D
11/12/2009, 06:41 PM
In the same vein as Mayor Guiliani's approach to NYC? Police step over the line some but it's better than the ineptness before?

Well...here's the thing. I posted that before I read the article...you know, SOP on this board with any linked article.

The article talks more about seizures of property happening in jurisdictions that using Oklahoma as a guide would encompass all of the territory from north of OKC down through Ardmore. The matters involved in this are pretty amusing at it's core. The real defining question is whether or not the seizures are being done legally (it's implied they are, at least as the laws are written now) and if so, are they being done for purely revenue driven reasons?

Seizures done in drug busts or prostitution stings (a majority of the seizures that I ever hear of on the news up here) so far as I care are legitimate and don't have a problem with. The ones that do bother me are when someone's car is stolen or carjacked, and that car is used to of course commit another crime. The perp gets caught, or abandons the car (the prior is happening a lot more than the latter in the city now btw), and the owner of the vehicle is on the hook for the associated fees for the towing, processing, and storing of their vehicle at a police impound lot. Especially when the owner has already reported the vehicle as being stolen.

As an addendum to the article, I looked up the stats on the municipality in which I live, and while the 2007 number was well over 10x the 2001 number, the 2008 number was only 20% of the 2007 number.

In regards to the ineptness I referred to before. The new Police Chief of the City of Detroit prior to taking that job was Warren Evans the Sheriff for Wayne County. Since he has been the Chief, and Dave Bing became first the interim mayor, and as of last week's election the 'new' mayor there has been a striking change in the way things are done. They've made a much greater effort to not only be visible in the neighborhoods of Detroit, but at establishing a good rapport with people as well. Crime is still relatively high (but that can be attributed partially to the higher than normal unemployment rate up here), but more crimes have been getting solved, more perpetrators arrested..hell some are now even turning themselves in. A police presence is definitely more visible in the city on the times I've had to go down there, which is something that I couldn't say especially when Kwame Kilpatrick was running the city like it was his own private playground to do whatever he wanted. There's been a gradual transition from people looking out for themselves and their small circles to people who are actually looking to make things better for the citizens of not only the city, but the entire metro area by trying to bridge gaps that have existed since the days of Coleman Young's first term.

okiewaker
11/12/2009, 08:54 PM
Plus 99.7% of Obama's "Stash" for Detroit has been ladled out. :mad: :)

Scott D
11/12/2009, 11:22 PM
what the **** does that mean?

okiewaker
11/12/2009, 11:41 PM
What, Obama's "Stash"?

okiewaker
11/12/2009, 11:47 PM
His stimulus package. He apparently had a line of 30 thousand people in Detroit standing in line waiting for money they were getting from the money he had "stashed" away for them. Their words, not mine.

Scott D
11/13/2009, 12:06 PM
You're referring to the 30000 people that applied for roughly 2000 'grants' for money to pay bills. You're talking about an area that is well above the national average for unemployment. This part of the country never recovered from the 2001 'recession'.

instigator
11/13/2009, 01:50 PM
I think this was an episode of The Shield. I didn't know they did this stuf in real life. Makes me want to go rob a money train and drop a grenade in my friend's car.