PDA

View Full Version : Under the Circumstances....

SoonerMavrick25
11/11/2009, 02:08 PM
Lets say Bob rallies the troops and The Sooners reel off 4 straight wins (including bowl game) IF (big IF) they do that is that the best coaching performance and span of wins in the Bob Stoops Era giving the Circumstance?

I would argue that it would be. Considering that this is a shell of what a normal OU team looks and is. Back up QB, No tight end, an offensive line held together by duct tape. (Ran out of athletic tape) No field goal kicker (even PATS breaths are held). And some would say virtually nothing to play for. (I disagree as an athlete, you don't care if you playing tic tac toe against you're 90-year old grandmother you want to win) It would be nice 4 straight victories and would really set us up with some positive momentum heading into the spring. I think you can really learn a lot about players when they are facing adversity such as this OU squad is.

So what ya think??? IF this happens would it be Stoops and the Sooners best run? Or IF it happens does it get trumped by the “Red October” run? Or any other run?

BOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEERRR!!!!

Sasakwa
11/11/2009, 02:13 PM
2000 says hi

soonerborn30
11/11/2009, 02:17 PM
I can't call any 9-4 campaign a good job. Ever. It's not good enough. This is not Stillwater. We don't have moral victories here.

BoulderSooner79
11/11/2009, 02:20 PM
It would be an accomplishment worthy of applause (I'm not holding my breath). I disagree about "nothing to play for". It shouldn't matter but I think it does because I've seen teams do it time and again. The players are going to play their hearts out on Saturday, but I just don't think they will have the same focus during the week of preparation. Definitely a coaching challenge from here out due to that factor. If I were a coach, I'd hammer on the home winning streak, in-state pride of beating OSU and getting our bowl performance back on track. And of course for the returning players - "do you want to start next year?". Not sure we have enough carrots and sticks for the game in Lubbock to get a top performance :(

BoulderSooner79
11/11/2009, 02:26 PM
I can't call any 9-4 campaign a good job. Ever. It's not good enough. This is not Stillwater. We don't have moral victories here.

Good idea - we should just forfeit what's left and start the punishment now.

zeke
11/11/2009, 02:36 PM
I've been saying that for a few weeks now Mavrick25.

I just shake my head when I read or hear how terrible OU's coach's are doing. I dont think there is a team out there, or a coach who would do much better with the injuries that OU has had to deal with this year.

It wasnt to long ago that they wanted to fire Venables. Not hearing to much of that now. Its all K Wilson or Stoops fault now...didnt hear to much of that last year.

85Sooner
11/11/2009, 02:48 PM
This has been stoops worst year coaching by far regardless of how the season ends. A day late and dollar short.

SoonerMavrick25
11/11/2009, 02:51 PM
I've been saying that for a few weeks now Mavrick25.

I just shake my head when I read or hear how terrible OU's coaches are doing. I don’t think there is a team out there, or a coach who would do much better with the injuries that OU has had to deal with this year.

It wasnt to long ago that they wanted to fire Venables. Not hearing to much of that now. Its all K Wilson or Stoops fault now...didnt hear to much of that last year.

Agreed.... 100%....
We are JUST FINE! We aren't in Norte Dame's shoes, Florida State's shoes. ETC. I like the fact that this young team is getting some experience and hopefully 2 years from now this year will be looked upon like the 1999 year. That put the ball in motion.

BoulderSooner79
11/11/2009, 02:53 PM
This has been stoops worst year coaching by far regardless of how the season ends. A day late and dollar short.

I hope the players and coaches don't look at it that way and just throw in the towel for the last 3 games. I mean if that 4 in the 'L' column already renders the season ending meaningless, why bother?

SoonerMavrick25
11/11/2009, 03:20 PM
2000 says hi

hints the mentioning of "Red October"

It would be an accomplishment worthy of applause (I'm not holding my breath). I disagree about "nothing to play for". It shouldn't matter but I think it does because I've seen teams do it time and again. The players are going to play their hearts out on Saturday, but I just don't think they will have the same focus during the week of preparation. Definitely a coaching challenge from here out due to that factor. If I were a coach, I'd hammer on the home winning streak, in-state pride of beating OSU and getting our bowl performance back on track. And of course for the returning players - "do you want to start next year?". Not sure we have enough carrots and sticks for the game in Lubbock to get a top performance :(

I agree with you, but I know how some people are. (Mainly ones that didn't get the opportunity to play sports at a higher level) I haven't and don't expect to see any quit this season.

Sorry, I disagree and I'm not sure how/why some "fans" think like this.

Widescreen
11/11/2009, 03:21 PM
Until he wins another MNC, nothing will compare to the job the coaches did between 1998 and 2000, IMO.

CincySooner
11/11/2009, 03:32 PM
It'll be tough to top 2000 and 2006 as far as I'm concerned.

badger
11/11/2009, 03:35 PM
At least Steve Pedersen (sp?) isn't our athletic director, ready to fire the head coach after a four-season loss just cuz he doesn't wanna surrender the conference to Texas or whatever :rolleyes:

I would totally go more nuts than all of you if we got a Bill Callahan in charge of our program. Losing or not, Stoops has never done anything to embarrass us.

soonervegas
11/11/2009, 03:39 PM
Until he wins another MNC, nothing will compare to the job the coaches did between 1998 and 2000, IMO.

Widescreen I might even say 1998 to December 1st, 2003:

OU was 55-11 or 83%

Since December 1st, 2003 OU is:

59-19 or 76%

I don't think it is Stoops as much as a downgrade in Assistants. Not a big downgrade, but enough for us to notice. But these assistants still have the ability to raise their game.....and that will ABSOLUTELY have to happen for us to get back to early Stoops.

SoonerMavrick25
11/11/2009, 03:48 PM
Widescreen I might even say 1998 to December 1st, 2003:

OU was 55-11 or 83%

Since December 1st, 2003 OU is:

59-19 or 76%

I don't think it is Stoops as much as a downgrade in Assistants. Not a big downgrade, but enough for us to notice. But these assistants still have the ability to raise their game.....and that will ABSOLUTELY have to happen for us to get back to early Stoops.

You are exactly right.... I think it speaks volumes for Stoops assistants. The only one that hasn't done well is Chuck Long and lets be honest... everyone saw that coming from a MILE away..

w0lfe
11/11/2009, 03:51 PM
I dont know if anything will ever top Red October. Watching that youtube video still gives me goosebumps

MojoRisen
11/11/2009, 03:54 PM
Look this is a big eye opener for our new recruits coming in for immediate playing time.... The young guys here should be pretty optomistic about their chances of playing as well next year. I think it would be something for the coaches to preach and get our best effort and pride to build some momentum. These coaches will be ready, we just haven't been in this situation very often and we have some really good players coming in and or RS Fresh and Sophs... Bottom line is the best player and the one who can execute consistently is going to have to be the one on the field. Open competition next year in my book.

SoonerMavrick25
11/11/2009, 03:56 PM
I dont know if anything will ever top Red October. Watching that youtube video still gives me goosebumps

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that likes to You tube OU football stuff.. I love the Intro's...

I like the one with Stoops when he goes "Im trying to change this ball
(holds up normal football) to this ball.." (holds up the Crystal BCS football)

Or something along those lines... Goosebumps..

TheUnnamedSooner
11/12/2009, 12:50 PM
It'll be tough to top 2000 and 2006 as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, even if OU wins out, 2009 does not compare to those two years.

Crucifax Autumn
11/12/2009, 02:13 PM
Just win baby!

ocsooner
11/12/2009, 02:20 PM
If this team wins out, they will have shown they "know how to win". I haven't seen that yet this year - they get down in a game and start haning their heads. Past seasons (2000 and 2006), the teams have been down, but believed they could win. Because of that belief, they found a way (Torrence Marshal at aTm to name one game).

To see a team get down in a game, and pull it out - that's what gives me goose bumps. I think that shows a better team than one who blows out every team all season (JMHO).

We have had it before, and I believe we can have it again.

mightysooner
11/12/2009, 02:23 PM
No. I will never think of a good coaching job performance, necessitated by a poor coaching performance, as "the best coaching job in Stoops era".

Crucifax Autumn
11/12/2009, 02:23 PM
I think all the answers late in the K-State game shows that the O has at least some concept of "how to win" despite what happened in Nebraska.

SoonerMavrick25
11/12/2009, 04:30 PM
Here's another question for everyone... Out of these three teams. Which team has the brightest future?? OU, Georgia, or Norte Dame... I say OU. Hands DOWN!

soonerborn30
11/12/2009, 04:59 PM
While I agree, why did you pick those teams? What is the significance there?

MamaMia
11/12/2009, 05:04 PM
When was the last season we lost 4 games?

goingoneight
11/13/2009, 10:32 AM
That would be the year before we won back-to-back-to-back BIG 12 Championships, a slew of All-Americans and a Heisman trophy.

Minus Chuck Long, we put the pieces together back then when everyone was all doom and gloom, I'll put money on it we turn it around again. The bad luck and youth just has to run it's cycle. Sad, but true.

SoonerMavrick25
11/13/2009, 11:34 AM
While I agree, why did you pick those teams? What is the significance there?

Proud, prominent, tradition-rich programs that are having "down" years (say what you want and hate Norte dame all you want, I do. But there is still some mystique there) Norte Dame wants to can there coach. After giving him a 50 year. 100 bizillon dollar contract after one decent year with Ty Willingham's players. You can make an argument that the loss of Stafford and Moreno to the NFL is somewhat equal to OU losing Bradford and Gresham. The only difference between the two is OU lost Bradford and Gresham during the season, while Georgia had a year to figure out what to do about filling in the gaps and getting players ready. However both teams sit 5-4, but you tell me which 5-4 looks better, and what team is going to turn it around 1st. That’s why I picked those teams. They are somewhat similar situations to ours. You could throw Florida State in the mix as well IMHO