PDA

View Full Version : Coach Contracts

rainiersooner
11/11/2009, 12:11 PM
This issue was being raised in other threads, though specific to Stoops and staff. This is an interesting article, albeit focusing on Gary Pinkel. I know at OU, the football program brings in more revenue than it has expenses, and that the athletic department as a whole benefits economically. I thought this was the case at most major Division One schools, which of course reveals the absurdity of the "straw-man" argument that football sucks money out of academics. Does anyone know if this is not in fact the case across the board?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2009-11-10-missouri-coaches-salaries_N.htm

soonerborn30
11/11/2009, 12:41 PM
From what I've read, there are only about a half-dozen or so programs that actually don't run in the red. OU being one of them. I think UT and tOSU are a couple more.

TXBOOMER
11/12/2009, 08:56 AM
If you factor in all the cost, the skollies would amount to a couple of million bucks a year alone. Considering all of the other associated costs I don't see how the smaller schools without TV revenue can possibly make money.

Leroy Lizard
11/12/2009, 12:40 PM
The book College Sports Incorporated already looked into this, although quite a few years ago. Back then, athletic departments typically lost money, only a small number made money. Football was clearly the most profitable, but if you factor in travel expenses, insurance, scholarship costs, and equipment the profits come down pretty far.

I thought this was the case at most major Division One schools, which of course reveals the absurdity of the "straw-man" argument that football sucks money out of academics.

Scholarships that could go to needy students who have worked hard on academics instead go to many that have no business stepping foot on a college campus. I wish college football would turn this situation around, but that isn't going to happen.

With this economy, universities are cutting staff. Fans don't care. Universities are raising tuition. Fans don't care. A multi-million dollar salary for a football coach in this economy is insane. (It's insane in any economy.)

Crucifax Autumn
11/12/2009, 12:58 PM
I agree in the abstract, but in a world where a corporate CEO can get paid millions in bonuses and salary for running a company in the red I doubt anything is gonna change.