PDA

View Full Version : Good read from Dave Sittler.

MyT Oklahoma
11/11/2009, 12:07 PM
Now is the time for all of us to support our players and our coaches through the end of the season. The time to point fingers at anyone (players should always be off limits IMO) can wait until the end of the year. Boomer Sooner!

P.S. Thanks Veterans. Enjoy YOUR day today.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20091111_202_B1_NbrORM282672

OU needs to avoid pointing fingers

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops argues a call. MIKE SIMONS/Tulsa World

By DAVE SITTLER World Sports Columnist
Published: 11/11/2009 2:23 AM
Last Modified: 11/11/2009 7:57 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go to Dave Sittler's Blog
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NORMAN - The wheels on the bus are definitely going round and round around the Oklahoma football program these days.

People are also getting tossed under it, as a frustrated Sooner Nation attempts to identify those responsible for the totally unexpected 5-4 start to a season when most Sooners figured their favorite team would be 9-0.

Everyone can agree on one point injuries to key players is boarding on the absurd. In what has almost become a daily ritual, coach Bob Stoops announced Tuesday that another starter is lost for the season offensive lineman Jarvis Jones is out after fracturing a heel in Saturday's ugly 10-3 loss at Nebraska.

The loudest critics insist that even with the loss of All-American talent like quarterback Sam Bradford and tight end Jermaine Gresham, OU's still should have won some of those games it lost by a frustrating average of 3 points.

So who's to blame for one of the darkest periods in Stoops' 11 seasons at OU? An angry Stoops fired back at those who believe that he and his staff are pushing too much of the responsibility off on the players.

"Here's the problem with that: Don't ask us questions, then," Stoops said. "You want to ask me what went wrong (and) I'm supposed to say, 'Well, everything's our (coaches) fault?'

"Then I can't answer the question if you want me to answer it truthfully."

I think it's a combination of injuries, poor player performances and the inability of some of Stoops' assistants to cure obvious problems. And some of that could be the result of Stoops' stubbornness.

The offensive line remains the biggest problem. Offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson and O-line coach James Patton are still shuffling players from position-to-position this deep into the season.

Some switches are because of injuries, but not all of them. And Stoops dismisses suggestions that the O-line might be better if he went with the same five players at the same five positions so they could settle in instead of getting yanked for poor play or practice habits.

While Stoops has often defended his offensive staff by pointing out the record numbers OU put up last season, he said he doesn't believe those accomplishments make any coach off-limits to criticism.

"We're never off-limits," he said. "We'll all be criticized."

The criticism hasn't stopped Stoops from allowing Wilson and Patton to continue the revolving-door act with the O-line. And he's often shot down suggestions that young players and the veterans who are starting for the first time would be better served to stick to one position instead of being moved to another spot or benched.

Then there's frustrating continuance of the O-line killing drives and scoring opportunities by committing senseless penalties.

"If a guy can't go when the (snap count) is on one, what am I (supposed) to do?" Stoops said. "There are some things that are our (coaches) fault, always.

"And there are some things that the players have got to handle. Some of the discipline issues when you look at penalties, to me, are issues are with our players that need to make improvement there."

That's a touchy issue. Penalty problems with the O-line isn't a one-season deal. It's become a trend. But the difference is previous offenses had so much talent they could overcome those setbacks.

I don't know how to fix that problem. But OU pays Stoops and his staff major bucks to have the knowledge to fix things that should not continue to reoccur.

"You're only as good as your last game," Stoops said. "All of us in this profession are very aware of that."

OU's last game was one of the worst of the Stoops era. But I agree with Stoops' plan to keep telling the truth, even if it's negative comments about individual players.

I don't think college players should ever be booed. But those who come to powerhouses like OU need to understand they will be held accountable.

Stoops seldom calls out a player by name. For example, he said the first of Landry Jones' five interceptions against Nebraska was the fault of the receiver instead of the quarterback. He didn't single out Adron Tennell as the receiver at fault.

But there are times when Stoops can't avoid fingering an individual's mistake. He did it with Jones, noting the Hail Mary pass that was intercepted in the final minute wasn't the play called. But Jones looked away from the sideline before he got the entire signal from the coaches.

"Don't ask a question if you don't want the right answer," Stoops said. "And don't go criticizing (coaches) if we give you the right answer and it is on (the players). It's always going to be on both of us (coaches and players)."

That's precisely the point Stoops needs to make to his team before someone (like a frustrated defense) starts pointing fingers.

All the coaches and players need to remain together inside the bus, instead of becoming candidates to get tossed under it.

By DAVE SITTLER World Sports Columnist

badger
11/11/2009, 12:49 PM
If we toss any of em under the bus, they'll just be added to our growing IR list :(

:) So yes, keep em all on the bus. NO MORE INJURIES!

Pricetag
11/11/2009, 01:15 PM
What's with the run on sentences?

OUDoc
11/11/2009, 01:38 PM
I didn't see any run on sentences what do you mean he is a professional writer you know?

stoopified
11/11/2009, 10:22 PM
I don't understand the comment about run on sentences either,after all Sittler writes for the Tulsa World which is the newspaper of Tulsa which is far superior to Oklahoma City in spite os the fact that there are many more people living in OKC than T-town which would lead most people to figure that the capital city is surely the greatest city in the stste.

VA Sooner
11/11/2009, 11:48 PM
Good read... rally the troops and get us ready to take on A&M. Need 3 more wins and a win in a bowl game.

Sooner70
11/12/2009, 07:58 AM
Good article. Stoops could learn from Mack Brown on his media presence. Bob can afford to be impatient and irascible when he's winning, but he needs the press on his side right now. It's hard to love a porcupine, and that's what Bob is with the media. Look, I'm a Stoops fan and believe in his honesty and "no excuses" approach. I can deal with his blunt assessments and clipped replies. The general media can't. He comes off bad sometimes. All I'm saying is there's ways to "handle" the media that can bring on more positive results. Mack Brown is a master at it.

However, I think Mack finally learned from Bob & others not to coddle malcontents and players with off field problems, and quit making excuses for these players. That's what I think Mack has learned and turned to great success. Stoops has always been a master at that.

TXBOOMER
11/12/2009, 08:47 AM
I have no problem with players being called out for not finishing routes, forgetting the snap counts, not competing or a general lack of focus. Players have no problem walking around campus being treated like rock stars. When you are at a big time program criticism is going to come with bad results. These are 18 - 23 year old young men (same age as most grunts dodging bullets in Afghanistan). Football is a game for men, if you can't take being called out, turn in your gear and your skolly, there is a long line that would like the chance.

prrriiide
11/12/2009, 12:04 PM
I have no problem with players being called out for not finishing routes, forgetting the snap counts, not competing or a general lack of focus. Players have no problem walking around campus being treated like rock stars. When you are at a big time program criticism is going to come with bad results. These are 18 - 23 year old young men (same age as most grunts dodging bullets in Afghanistan). Football is a game for men, if you can't take being called out, turn in your gear and your skolly, there is a long line that would like the chance.

Nomination for Post of the Season right there.

Crucifax Autumn
11/12/2009, 12:18 PM
My issue with this article is it doesn't say anything. Or, more accurately, it doesn't say anything it doesn't go on to either contradict or refute.

OKC-SLC
11/12/2009, 01:01 PM
Nomination for Post of the Season right there.

word.

Pricetag
11/13/2009, 01:37 PM
My issue with this article is it doesn't say anything. Or, more accurately, it doesn't say anything it doesn't go on to either contradict or refute.
Yeah. Sittler texted Traber the day of the presser and told him he thought Bob answered the question perfectly--I don't know why he wrote an article that implies some kind of controversy.