PDA

View Full Version : DO WE NEED A NEW RULE?

Sooner70
11/11/2009, 07:41 AM
Article in the Houston Chronicle today regarding the Tulsa-Houston game. Talks bout the time consuming "injuries" to both TU's defenders Clinkscale & Dorris in the waning moments of the game, when UH's offense was running them ragged. It's an oblique hint implied that these players faked injury, laying on the field to give their co defenders (and coaches) time to gather themselves, rest & plan.

Miraculously, both players, after extended reclines on the turf, jumped up & were involved immediately in play that followed.

Is this cheating? Well, sure is if those players aren't really injured.

Bottom Line: If this keeps up, we might see some type of rule that if a player is injured to the extent that a time out is called to attend to him, he will have to sit out X downs or Y series.....mandatory. What do you'all think?
::

sooner518
11/11/2009, 07:52 AM
wouldve been nice had they called Florida on it last year.....

Aries
11/11/2009, 07:58 AM
I believe there is already a rule that if a player is down long enough for play to be delayed, he must either sit out the next play or his team is charged a timeout, correct?

goingoneight
11/11/2009, 09:11 AM
Yes. That rule is already in place.

I call faking injuries for timeouts the Mack move... Because Texass was the first team I saw do that. If you don't believe in karma I guess it's a good way to cheat the system.

I do think only 30 seconds should be allowed if the player can move and get OOB. Save the lengthy TOs for when an actual serious injury occurs. IOW... if you cramp up or like Sam, you can get off the field... Seek your help there and let the game go on.

freshchris05
11/11/2009, 10:26 AM
thats so soccer...

Sooner70
11/12/2009, 08:02 AM
Thanks. I didn't know the rule was in place. Are officials rigorous about enforcing it, or does it kinda get lost in play sometimes? Is there a time limit on how long a player can be down before the rule kicks in?

sooner518
11/12/2009, 08:15 AM
Thanks. I didn't know the rule was in place. Are officials rigorous about enforcing it, or does it kinda get lost in play sometimes? Is there a time limit on how long a player can be down before the rule kicks in?

I think the rule is if a player goes off due to injury, he has to sit out one single play. thats it. In those articles, when they say the players were back on the field "the next play", I assume they are referring to them missing one play and coming back right after that.

Crucifax Autumn
11/12/2009, 01:33 PM
There is WAY too much of this going on and it drives me batshat every time. I'm not sure what the fair solution would be to make it stop, but it's more than obvious that they need to find a way to stop this tactic, particularly since it always happens at times that it is so clear that that is what's going on.

freshchris05
11/12/2009, 03:19 PM
I remember one time in high school an opposing team repeatedly did it and finally they got flagged for an unsportsmanlike penalty... Makes sense for them to do the same in college right? But I'm sure they're all just happy enough that they get to plug another commercial that it doesn't matter. eh..