PDA

View Full Version : Hate to say it but I actually agree with Blevins on something

Collier11
11/10/2009, 02:41 PM
He usually mumbles and bumbles around like a fool but this is a good article IMHO

http://www.deanblevins.com/column.asp

Post mortem of a Lincoln nightmare

11.08.09 - 11:16 AM

35-0. 10-3. Two of the most remarkable scores you will ever see in a rivalry.

The first was the score of the OU-Nebraska game last season in Norman. After one quarter! The second was the score after the game last night in Lincoln.

The first was in Norman with a guy named Bradford at the controls. It was one of those pedal-to-the-metal offensive blitzes and defensive pressurized starts that were the norm in 2008.

The loss last night was with RS frosh Landry Jones at the controls—although there were others to share the blame even after throwing an unheard of five interceptions. It was another big-game in which the 2009 offense could not have looked more different from that of a year ago.

Similar plays. Different players. Different execution. Different results.

13, 13 and 3. Those are the point totals in three of the four losses. The 20 scored in the Miami loss looks like an avalanche of offense compared to the others.

Here’s another ridiculous number-58. That’s the number of pass attempts Jones had last night. 58! Now I loved to throw the football and love to see it thrown around now.

But having to throw 58 passes in one game says a lot—and most of it not good.

I’m a card-carrying member of the Bob Stoops “No Excuses” school. Don’t give me the excuse that the offensive line can’t run block well enough to keep from throwing it two-thirds the time. Get better. Recruit better. Keep em in school.

I don’t want to hear that Nebraska’s defensive front was so good passing was all there was. Tell that to good teams and they’ll laugh.

I don’t want to hear that with Jermaine Gresham out the run game concepts and formations are limited. We’re talking Oklahoma football here. Not Iowa State. Oh, I forgot. The Cyclones went into Memorial Stadium and came out with a victory. Sorry Clones.

What’s needed is this. First, an apology to Brent Venables and his staff and to a group of talented and hard-playing defensive players who have now held good offenses to 13, 20, and 16 points in three losses. And held Nebraska to 7 first downs and about any absurd-looking number they posted in a “win” last night.

Second, spend the off-season finding a way to kick field goals. I don’t know the answer. But I am not paid to know the answer. I suspect the answer is on campus now. But facts are facts: A program like the University of Oklahoma not being able to kick a field goal is embarrassing. Even with 5 intercepts and complete critical down chaos just kicking field goals would have allowed OU to bus out at midnight with an important win.

Third, threaten to maim offensive linemen who continue to push people four seconds after the whistle resulting in JUCO-like personal fouls that kill any momentum and stall alleged “drives.” I realize it’s hard to threaten taking playing time away when there is no one to put on the field because of the mind-boggling lack of winning players behind the pushers and shovers.

Fourth, give the ball to DeMarco Murray and Ryan Broyles every play. Don’t have your high-ball throwing freshman throwing fast-ball slants to average receivers on critical downs and expect third down conversions.

Fifth, put Broyles in the Wildcat formation and create more deception and less predictability.

Sixth, line up on fourth and one and run a quarterback sneak. There is nothing more frustrating to Sooner fans than seeing your QB run up and down the line barking out blocking assignments, looking over to the sidelines for the very latest play call and with the play clock running down (calling time-outs when calling time-outs aren’t needed and not calling a time out—game deciding play in the BYU loss), only to see some hurried and harried play be unsuccessful. Talk about demoralizing.

Seventh. Well, on the seventh day we’re supposed to rest, so I’ll leave it there.

This Sabbath Sunday is about reflection. A season gone bad has a chance to become a Season on the Brink. The latest invaluable piece to this offense may be lost. Brody Eldridge—Stoops’ favorite player—hurt a shoulder last night.

Don’t reflect too long on that one because this rudderless team may have lost another offensive rudder. Frustrated coaches said last night that leaders are hard to find right now. Losing the tight end/fullback/center/right guard/left guard/captain would be fitting. But not an excuse.

It’s highly conceivable this team could flounder to a 6-6 finish—the same record I mentioned to the person sitting next to me three seconds after Bradford went down against BYU.

Winning at Tech if iffy at best. The away from home losses continue to mount—four in one year for those counting at home. Beating a good OSU team will be a challenge.

This aforementioned reflection should start with the highly-recruited “4 and 5-star high school stars.” Under-performing kids who are getting their school paid for and getting their backs patted by adoring fans.

Yes, they need to be held accountable more than anyone. The game is not as hard as they are making it look.

Like Stoops says, the 2009 team is not given wins because the teams of 2008, 2007, etc. were champs.

We saw that the 2009 Huskers didn’t care what the 2008 Sooners did to them in Norman.

At an unfathomable 5 and 4, the commitment to excellence of this bunch is about to be tested. I’ve not seen a Sooner team as disheartened as the one I saw late last night. More than gut-check time. It’s soul-searching time.

The nation is watching. Just as they were when Bradford’s high-flying offense was racking up 60 points a game down the stretch a season ago.

This time the nation is watching from a totally different perspective. One from which they are shaking their heads in disbelief.

And while there are legitimate excuses that might soften the blow, no one is listening. Life isn’t always fair. Nor is football. And nor are the Sooners.

Fair is too much of a compliment to them right now. Poor to bad is more like it.

kbsooner21
11/10/2009, 02:49 PM
That's good stuff and unfortunately spot on.

Scott D
11/10/2009, 02:55 PM
70/40 an intern wrote that for him and he just put his name on it. ;)

Collier11
11/10/2009, 03:02 PM
81/31 says you are correct

BoulderSooner79
11/10/2009, 03:51 PM
It’s highly conceivable this team could flounder to a 6-6 finish—the same record I mentioned to the person sitting next to me three seconds after Bradford went down against BYU.

I told my wife something very similar at that moment. I didn't imagine the 6-6 part, but I said "there goes the season". By that I meant any national hopes. Dean is a little contradictory here because he seems to have expected this to happen and is amazed it did? Whatever.

The nation is watching.

He is dead wrong on this - maybe sooner nation is watching, but most the nation moves on and is following teams with small numbers by their names in the ranking column. We are irrelevant until we claw back and make ourselves relevant.

rawlingsHOH
11/10/2009, 05:34 PM
Fifth, put Broyles in the Wildcat formation and create more deception and less predictability.

"Wildcat" doesn't seem to work too well without an INSIDE running threat taking the snap.

Look at the prototypes, Arkansas 07 and Miami Dolphins 08-09. They both have true tailbacks taking the snap, the defense has to respect the power game.

This Mike Vick dancing bullcrap doesn't work.

You need a downhill guy at the point of attack.

KantoSooner
11/10/2009, 06:17 PM
Intern definitely wrote it: this piece is well thought out, uses big words, and displays passion. Dean's fourth and fifth major concussions rendered him incapable of any of the above.

Jdog
11/10/2009, 06:20 PM
He is dead wrong on this - maybe sooner nation is watching, but most the nation moves on and is following teams with small numbers by their names in the ranking column. We are irrelevant until we claw back and make ourselves relevant.

yep I think you're right!

But I have to also agree with what Dino was saying

PLaw
11/10/2009, 07:17 PM
One more recommendation for coach Bob and to Dean's 3rd point: The next player that gets an unsportsmanlike penalty after the play is whistled dead gets his 'ship pulled, period. He will have the opportunity to earn it back in the off-season and spring.

I know it used to happen at Iowa when Bob was there and I know it can happen today. I have a former manager that played with Mike when Bob was a GA and he made a "good living" as a walk-on that would get some love when Hayden would pull that 'ship from a highly recruited prima dona.

BOOMER

stoopified
11/10/2009, 08:54 PM
Dean is of course a genius and obviously more qualified to lead this program than Bob.The truth is Bob and his staff are doing their best and DO know what needs to be done.All you can do is the best you can do with what you have.Annyone who thinks that OU or ANY NCAA team has 85 studs on scholly is an idiot.That is why injuries have hurt so much.We do have young talent that just isn't ready yet and some players who are just AVERAGE college players.That is not unique to OU,UF would be screwed without Tebow and acouple of other key players,likwise UT would be screwed if Colt and Shipley were out.

That does even count the season long injury battle we have fought while trying to rebuild the O-line.Nothing Blevins says is news to Bob and his staff.

TXBOOMER
11/10/2009, 09:22 PM
"Wildcat" doesn't seem to work too well without an INSIDE running threat taking the snap.

Look at the prototypes, Arkansas 07 and Miami Dolphins 08-09. They both have true tailbacks taking the snap, the defense has to respect the power game.

This Mike Vick dancing bullcrap doesn't work.

You need a downhill guy at the point of attack.

So what will work?

rawlingsHOH
11/11/2009, 12:30 AM
So what will work?

If I knew that I wouldn't be posting here! :)

If you wanted a "Wildcat" package, I'd prefer Murray or Brown or Calhoun (played a lot of HS QB) taking the snap, and Broyles to be the motion guy.

That first guy needs to be a threat inside the tackles. The end-around option should be your homerun guy (Broyles).

En_Fuego
11/11/2009, 01:08 AM
If someone else wrote this for Dean Blevins they were 100% correct.

Who cares who wrote it...........it's Dead Nuts On

the_ouskull
11/11/2009, 02:36 AM
Yeah. If Dean wrote that, and I have no reason to believe that he didn't, then I am officially doing two things: 1) agreeing with Dean Blevins, and 2) lighting myself on fire.

the_ouskull

Sooner70
11/11/2009, 07:18 AM
Yep....purty near right on everything. If the Sooners don't right the offensive ship, they could well end up 6-6. Should be aTm at home, but TT, OSU....uhh. Anyway, the thing in the article that really gets me is the deal about FG kicking. It absolutely sucks that OU cannot find a kicker that's reliable outside the 20 in game situations. My gosh, why doesn't Stoops just do a all campus try out....ala Mike Leach....and find somebody? I think there's got to be some walk on in the student body that can do better than this. All these personal fouls smack of frustration, but that's no excuse......reminds me of the poorly coached/lack of poise Blake days.

Collier11
11/11/2009, 09:25 AM
Yeah. If Dean wrote that, and I have no reason to believe that he didn't, then I am officially doing two things: 1) agreeing with Dean Blevins, and 2) lighting myself on fire.

the_ouskull

it burns brother

OUAlumni1990
11/11/2009, 09:50 AM
That article was so spot on I'm sleeping with it every night under my pillow.

SoonerLB
11/11/2009, 10:18 AM
only to see some hurried and harried play be unsuccessful

This and the field goal kicker situation need fixed first thing! I firmly believe that if Landry was not in panic mode trying to beat the play clock, he could settle down and play much better. Good article, and spot on, no matter who wrote it.

mightysooner
11/12/2009, 02:47 PM
Dead on article Blevo.

Statalyzer
11/12/2009, 04:24 PM
Even with 5 intercepts and complete critical down chaos just kicking field goals would have allowed OU to bus out at midnight with an important win.

If you're going to give both teams their missed field goals then Nebraska wins 13-12. And the Husker miss was much more surprising as Stevens/Way are accurate inside 40 yds but don't have good range, while Henery is usually nails out to 50 or more.

Collier11
11/12/2009, 04:29 PM
he is 0-2 from 50 out and 3-6 from 40 out, just sayin

BoulderSooner79
11/12/2009, 04:59 PM
But field goals beget field goals. The last 2 OU drives ended with 4th down plays instead of FG attempts due to previous misses. And no one is saying that all FGs are going to be made, by OU or the opponent. It's just that we don't have a prayer outside 40yds this year instead of the typical 60-70%.

Bourbon St Sooner
11/12/2009, 05:35 PM
And it's not just the drives that ended on 4th down, but if we had just made 2 of the 3 field goals, on that last drive we would have only needed a field goal. We had a lot of drives get to their 30 but we couldn't get any closer.

BoulderSooner79
11/12/2009, 05:49 PM
And it's not just the drives that ended on 4th down, but if we had just made 2 of the 3 field goals, on that last drive we would have only needed a field goal. We had a lot of drives get to their 30 but we couldn't get any closer.

That's what I was trying to say. If we make a couple (not all), the score allows us to try more FGs later instead of going for broke on 4th down. I was answering the guy that said that NU missed one too and would have won if both teams made all their FGs.

rawlingsHOH
11/12/2009, 05:57 PM
If you're going to give both teams their missed field goals then Nebraska wins 13-12. And the Husker miss was much more surprising as Stevens/Way are accurate inside 40 yds but don't have good range, while Henery is usually nails out to 50 or more.

Oklahoma crossed the 30 yard line EIGHT (8) TIMES and managed 3 points total.

That's the least efficient performance I've ever seen. They almost doubled Nebraska's yardage.

Jacie
11/13/2009, 06:58 AM
OUr average margin of defeat is just 3 points. A field goal in three of those four games would have resulted in a win or tied it up.

Maybe Dean knows what he's talking about this time.

soonerspudman
11/13/2009, 11:07 AM
Who we need now: Allen Patrick. Yea, I know, he was a slightly above average running back and our O problems are much deeper than that, but AP was a guy who played/ran with fire and passion and an attitude of "put it on my shoulders".

One key missing element (among others to be sure) is that player on O who can carry the moment. This O is sleepwalking, just going through the motions, it's like they're just thinking about "assignment correctness" and forgetting offense wins mostly by hitting people in the mouth and creating ways to make plays work.

Wondering who/what underclassmen on the O depth charts that can/will step up with the fire in their belly.

Stoop Dawg
11/13/2009, 12:47 PM
If you're going to give both teams their missed field goals then Nebraska wins 13-12.

We're not giving both teams their missed field goals, only OU. Try to keep up.

VA Sooner
11/14/2009, 08:24 AM
Blevins is pretty spot on in that analysis. Harsh at times... but it's time to be to get this team motivated... and motivated outside of Memorial Stadium/Owen Field.

These are dark times in the Sooner Nation. Painful to watch a performance like that.

Hopefully that's etched into the minds of the players in a way they can play with fire tonight.

rawlingsHOH
11/14/2009, 08:59 PM
If I knew that I wouldn't be posting here! :)

If you wanted a "Wildcat" package, I'd prefer Murray or Brown or Calhoun (played a lot of HS QB) taking the snap, and Broyles to be the motion guy.

That first guy needs to be a threat inside the tackles. The end-around option should be your homerun guy (Broyles).

NICE!