PDA

View Full Version : rumor mill from chicago

Jello Biafra
11/10/2009, 01:40 PM
has Charlie Weiss out and serious talk with Bob Stoops in the head seat. be careful what we wish for folks...

you can guarandamntee ND isnt the type of school to go after assistants especially after what they have seen over the last 10 years.

NormanPride
11/10/2009, 01:41 PM
Not gonna happen.

Jello Biafra
11/10/2009, 01:44 PM
Not gonna happen.

mmmhmmm i hope yer right.

tator
11/10/2009, 01:48 PM
Rumors that Stoops may be up for other jobs? I've never heard of such a thing...

SunnySooner
11/10/2009, 01:50 PM
I've been seeing a lot of "Charlie is gone" stuff too, though the replacements have been Saban or Meyer. Weird they're ALL Catholic, I'm sure it would be tempting for any of them, I think Bob is the least likely, though. Just a feeling.

Collier11
11/10/2009, 01:50 PM
Actually the more likely rumor is Brian Kelly to NotreDame

Jello Biafra
11/10/2009, 01:51 PM
Rumors that Stoops may be up for other jobs? I've never heard of such a thing...

yeh smart off like you will but NOTRE DUM has the "IT" quality to it. lets face it, although we hate them, they still have a certain appeal about them.

BoulderSooner79
11/10/2009, 01:53 PM
Whew!! I thought you were going to say something bad happened to Oprah.

TheUnnamedSooner
11/10/2009, 01:55 PM
Aren't they still paying out Willingham? So if this were to happen, they would bepaying out 2 coaches and then try and bring in a big time coach?

SunnySooner
11/10/2009, 01:56 PM
Notre Dame pockets are deep, I doubt money will be an issue.

Collier11
11/10/2009, 01:56 PM
yeh smart off like you will but NOTRE DUM has the "IT" quality to it. lets face it, although we hate them, they still have a certain appeal about them.

You do realize we are OU dont you? There are about 5-10 schools nationwide that have that same "it" factor and OU is one of them, its not like Stoops is coaching at osu or anything

TheUnnamedSooner
11/10/2009, 01:58 PM
Yeah, they do, but I'm still guessing they have to work within a budget.

tator
11/10/2009, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the persmission, I will smart off.

I presume you feel that OU has no "IT" quality?

SoonerMavrick25
11/10/2009, 01:59 PM

No doubt...

Jello Biafra
11/10/2009, 02:00 PM
no...im not presuming anything guys. i am saying that if there is a school out there that is a bigger threat and the gumption to make him the highest paid coach in the universe, it will be ND. now what?

tator, shut yer suck hole. take it like the joke it was meant to be.

beer4me
11/10/2009, 02:01 PM
You do realize we are OU dont you? There are about 5-10 schools nationwide that have that same "it" factor and OU is one of them, its not like Stoops is coaching at osu or anything

But OU don't have any swagger :D :D :D

badger
11/10/2009, 02:02 PM
Stoops to Denver
Stoops to Cleveland
Stoops to Florida
Stoops to Notre Dame

It never ends :rolleyes:

OU is not a stepping stone program. It's a destination.

Jello Biafra
11/10/2009, 02:04 PM
i agree however, the pros is not his thing. or doesn't seem to even interest him. so, lets ask this way,

if he WERE to consider another coaching position in college, which one would it be?

Petro-Sooner
11/10/2009, 02:04 PM
They should give KW a look.
:D :D :D

soonerinkaty
11/10/2009, 02:05 PM
Badg is right, but think about this..

Gary Patterson from TCU *IF* Bob leaves..sounds good to me

but i dont want bob gone

Jello Biafra
11/10/2009, 02:05 PM
They should give KW a look.
:D :D :D

and THAT would be where we should suggest they look first lol...

ocsooner
11/10/2009, 02:07 PM

Why didn't you say that??

Scott D
11/10/2009, 02:13 PM
Kelly has all the appeal that ND should want.

1. He's proven he can build something out of nothing.
2. He can work with lesser talent and win
3. He's got an Irish last name.

Collier11
11/10/2009, 02:15 PM
Stoops isnt leaving anytime soon...but, if he did I would want the cincinnati coach

Scott D
11/10/2009, 02:16 PM
Stoops isnt leaving anytime soon...but, if he did I would want the cincinnati coach

[typical response on this board]HE'S NOT GIMMICKY ENOUGH!!![/typical response on this board]

rawlingsHOH
11/10/2009, 02:16 PM
Stoops to Denver
Stoops to Cleveland
Stoops to Florida
Stoops to Notre Dame

ATLANTA!!!

Harry Beanbag
11/10/2009, 02:18 PM
Kelly has all the appeal that ND should want.

1. He's proven he can build something out of nothing.
2. He can work with lesser talent and win
3. He's got an Irish last name.

George O'Leary had all those qualities too, especially #1. :D

Blues1
11/10/2009, 02:19 PM
I'd say This ~~ If Mike Stoops can pull out a 10 win season at Arizona this year...?? - Look for His Name on the ND List.....

Scott D
11/10/2009, 02:20 PM
Yeah but I doubt Brian Kelly would say he was the President of Mars on his resume that he submits to Notre Dame ;)

TheUnnamedSooner
11/10/2009, 02:20 PM
if he WERE to consider another coaching position in college, which one would it be?

Florida. And he already turned that down.

Seamus
11/10/2009, 02:22 PM
I'm guessing an ego so big a full hat can't fit over it (has to wear a visor) isn't going to accept 5-4 + whatever comes this season without proving he can turn it around next year.

Collier11
11/10/2009, 02:28 PM
Florida. And he already turned that down.

twice right?

tommieharris91
11/10/2009, 02:30 PM

This is one that wouldn't surprise me. It would be a really solid hire too.

Scott D
11/10/2009, 02:31 PM
although to be fair guys, a lot of people thought Kelly would be a lock for the Michigan job prior to RichRod taking it...Kelly insisted he was staying at Cincy.

SoonerLB
11/10/2009, 02:34 PM
I wouldn't wish that job on anybody ........., well ........., maybe KW! :D

salth2o
11/10/2009, 02:59 PM

ND has about as much appeal (at least too me) as a skanky ho with teh clap.

NO THANKS!

Sasakwa
11/10/2009, 03:01 PM
Anyone know how much Charlie is getting paid?

I would hate to see ND get good.

Collier11
11/10/2009, 03:04 PM
ND has about as much appeal (at least too me) as a skanky ho with teh clap.

So you really like them?

Anyone know how much Charlie is getting paid?

I would hate to see ND get good.

Enough $$$ to pay to get his stomach stapled twice, then go to court cus he is still fat and lose

salth2o
11/10/2009, 03:19 PM
So you really like them?

Oh yeah!

MrJimBeam
11/10/2009, 04:00 PM
Badg is right, but think about this..

Gary Patterson from TCU *IF* Bob leaves..sounds good to me

but i dont want bob gone

Do you ever ask the guestion "why is Gary Patterson still at TCU"? Well I do and I don't have a good answer. Which means, whatever the answer is it ain't good.

Howzit
11/10/2009, 04:02 PM
I heard a rumor that the Pope will be at the game Saturday.

This does not look good.

OUinFLA
11/10/2009, 04:09 PM
I heard a rumor that the Pope will be at the game Saturday.

This does not look good.

performing "last rites"?

jaux
11/10/2009, 04:10 PM
I heard the same rumor but I think he's just coming in for the elk chili, a couple pops of brew, christen my love child and to inspect the laaatrines at the tailgate.

KantoSooner
11/10/2009, 04:14 PM
Urban might want to give it a go. Have to believe that Fla. is looking at some serious NCAA time with the frisky young lads he's been recruiting.....on the other hand, having to recruit kids who are literate and not criminals might make it difficult for him to field a winning team.

TXBOOMER
11/10/2009, 04:36 PM
I heard the pope performed last rights on the elk then ate elk chili at Bob's house last night.

OUmd
11/10/2009, 04:36 PM
To be honest, this year's performance and recent history in bowl games the last few years are likely enough to keep the Notre Dame's and Florida's of the world uninterested. I hate to say it, but hiring Bob would be a gamble for Notre Dame. If they are going to fire Weis, they need to hire a sure thing (i.e. Meyer).

I hate to admit it, but "Big Game" Bob is no more.

Howzit
11/10/2009, 04:39 PM
To be honest, this year's performance and recent history in bowl games the last few years are likely enough to keep the Notre Dame's and Florida's of the world uninterested. I hate to say it, but hiring Bob would be a gamble for Notre Dame. If they are going to fire Weis, they need to hire a sure thing (i.e. Meyer).

I hate to admit it, but "Big Game" Bob is no more.

Apparently, the Pope thinks nuh uh.

boomermagic
11/10/2009, 04:53 PM
I doubt ND wants Bob but if he leaves we will find a very good coach to lead our team next season.. Things aren't like they were when we hired blake.. Joe C knows what he is doing and we wouldn't miss a beat in my opinion.. I wouldn't be concerned at all..

sooner94
11/10/2009, 04:54 PM
I don't see Bob Stoops going to ND. What would be the upside? OU is one of the top tier programs in the country- none better. And I think there are even more ridiculous expectations at ND than OU, if that is possible.

I don't think they would look at Mike Stoops. Not knocking Mike at all, I just think ND would want a more buttoned-down kind of guy. Not a guy that goes berserk on the sideline. Which I really like about Mike. We miss his fire.

I think Kelly would be a great choice for ND. He has done great things at Cinci.

Would Urban Cryer consider the position if he wins NC #3 at Florida this year? Maybe move on to another challenge? Or would he realize he can't recruit the Florida type guys at ND?

Scott D
11/10/2009, 05:20 PM
Would Urban Cryer consider the position if he wins NC #3 at Florida this year? Maybe move on to another challenge? Or would he realize he can't recruit the Florida type guys at ND?

how do you think they ended up with Weis in the first place ;)

rawlingsHOH
11/10/2009, 05:31 PM
I doubt ND wants Bob but if he leaves we will find a very good coach to lead our team next season.. Things aren't like they were when we hired blake.. Joe C knows what he is doing and we wouldn't miss a beat in my opinion.. I wouldn't be concerned at all..

A) I'd imagine ND would be interested in Stoops.

B) Definitely not, but how were things at Nebraska when they went to Solich?

C) That seems somewhat like a reach. We missed a beat after Wilkinson, we missed a beat after Switzer, and it's possible we'd do so after Stoops.

SoonerLB
11/10/2009, 05:33 PM
I have the solution to Notre Dame's problem! Hire Tim Tebow! :)

It's rumored he's directly related to the Almighty, an on-field coach of a MNC winning team, and, as we all know, doesn't have much of a chance in the NFL. And as a bonus, he can take care of circumcisions in-house! ;)

Holy golden dome, grab that phone boys, your prayers have been answered! :D

mehip
11/10/2009, 05:42 PM
Why would Stoops go to ND?

swardboy
11/10/2009, 05:49 PM

I think you're right....we should have no problem finding someone who can take us to 6-6 next year.

Whet
11/10/2009, 06:00 PM
Stoops + ND? Well, there was one reference in the Comments section of an article about the ND game in the Tribune::rolleyes:

COMMENTS (20) | Add Comment (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-091108-notre-dame-notes,0,3204653.story#)
Comments:
01400 characters remaining

i can't believe charlie and his staff are still there. there must be something going on in south bend that only their administration knows. perhaps lou holtz knows too thats why he left, with one victory needed to tie knute rocknes victory record.
Boller2751 (11/09/2009, 4:21 PM )

Report Comment (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-091108-notre-dame-notes,0,3204653.story#)

After consistently dismal performance in his 5 year tenure, it is obvious the job is beyond Weis' capacity. He has now reached an all time low by publicly blaming his players for the 2nd consecutive home loss to Navy (after ND had won over 40 in a row). The man is classless as well as clueless. There are plenty of possible replacements: Stoops, Gruden, Kelley, just to name a few. His performance, both on and off the field, are an embarrassment to the university.
gabby65 (11/09/2009, 12:49 PM )
I am sure this carries a lot of weight.

goingoneight
11/10/2009, 06:09 PM
I have the solution to Notre Dame's problem! Hire Tim Tebow! :)

It's rumored he's directly related to the Almighty, an on-field coach of a MNC winning team, and, as we all know, doesn't have much of a chance in the NFL. And as a bonus, he can take care of circumcisions in-house! ;)

Holy golden dome, grab that phone boys, your prayers have been answered! :D

He could spend five minutes with our team and make them better for it. Imagine what he could do as HC!?! :eek:

Harry Beanbag
11/10/2009, 07:54 PM
I am sure this carries a lot of weight.

Not as much as Charlie Weis.

pac10SUX
11/10/2009, 07:57 PM
Well if Stoopsie decides to go elsewhere we have two assistants that would be excellent head coaches, KW or BV. :eek:

ouwapiti
11/10/2009, 07:59 PM
should stoops go..(probably aint gonna happen)...i'll take petersen (sp?) from boise...creative and his teams always seem prepared in every phase of the game...

Harry Beanbag
11/10/2009, 08:00 PM
should stoops go..(probably aint gonna happen)...i'll take petersen (sp?) from boise...creative and his teams always seem prepared in every phase of the game...

I think I'll pass on the next Dan Hawkins and Dirk Koetter.

Breadburner
11/10/2009, 08:14 PM
I think I'll pass on the next Dan Hawkins and Dirk Koetter.

No Thanks....I will take Pat Hill from Fresno......

stoopified
11/10/2009, 08:23 PM
Bob turned away unofficial inquiries from ND before so why would he be intrested now? The only possible motive would be money and Bob is NOT all about the money.

royalfan5
11/10/2009, 08:24 PM
No Thanks....I will take Pat Hill from Fresno...... Pat Hill is one of the most overrated coaches in America. How many times does his team lose games they shouldn't in conference play, and when was their last big OOC win? Say what you want about Boise and Petersen, but they are consistent in winning they games they should. Just look at their conference record.

ND just needs hand Kelly a blank contract and tell him to fill in the numbers.

Half a Hundred
11/10/2009, 08:39 PM
Bob turned away unofficial inquiries from ND before so why would he be intrested now? The only possible motive would be money and Bob is NOT all about the money.

Big Red Monster gets angry when it's not fed with wins.
He (and she) misses the Midwest and want to get back to around where he grew up.
Notre Dame is THE Catholic university in the country - he wants to help the Church
Chicago would be a better opportunity for Carol
Kids are getting older and a move would be easier to handle
Better educational opportunities in the area

Plenty of incentives. Numero uno is the game changer.

sooneron
11/10/2009, 08:49 PM
How many times does his team lose games they shouldn't in conference play, and when was their last big OOC win?

*cough* sounds familiar...*cough*

FaninAma
11/10/2009, 08:52 PM
Big Red Monster gets angry when it's not fed with wins.
He (and she) misses the Midwest and want to get back to around where he grew up.
Notre Dame is THE Catholic university in the country - he wants to help the Church
Chicago would be a better opportunity for Carol
Kids are getting older and a move would be easier to handle
Better educational opportunities in the area

Plenty of incentives. Numero uno is the game changer.

And Notre Dame fans don't have the same expectations
as Sooner fans?

Have you been paying attention to the circus that has
been going on in South Bend?

If Stoops cuts and runs after this year he is not the man
I thought he was. And if he cuts and runs to ND he
is not as smart as I thought he was.

Collier11
11/10/2009, 09:02 PM
No Thanks....I will take Pat Hill from Fresno......

yea since he has done anything at all lately

ashley
11/10/2009, 09:06 PM
Pat Hill is one of the most overrated coaches in America. How many times does his team lose games they shouldn't in conference play, and when was their last big OOC win? Say what you want about Boise and Petersen, but they are consistent in winning they games they should. Just look at their conference record.

ND just needs hand Kelly a blank contract and tell him to fill in the numbers.

My heavens, I think he does very good. Can you imaging trying to get someone to come to Fresno.

ashley
11/10/2009, 09:09 PM
It is over for Noter Dame. Too cold, isolated, ugly girls, too small, too hard and it is not in the South where the players are.

royalfan5
11/10/2009, 09:15 PM
My heavens, I think he does very good. Can you imaging trying to get someone to come to Fresno.

California is a hotbed of talent, and the Central Valley is very populous. There are much worse places to recruit too. Like Lincoln, Manhattan, Ames, Laramie, Pullman, Corvallis, etc.

Half a Hundred
11/11/2009, 12:49 AM
And Notre Dame fans don't have the same expectations
as Sooner fans?

Have you been paying attention to the circus that has
been going on in South Bend?

If Stoops cuts and runs after this year he is not the man
I thought he was. And if he cuts and runs to ND he
is not as smart as I thought he was.

Notre Dame hasn't won a national championship in 20 years. It's not an easy job, but it's one Stoops might relish the shot at.

If he wins two more here, his name is up there with Switzer and Wilkinson. However, if he wins just one up there, his name is up there with Rockne and Parseghian. As a Catholic boy from the Midwest, hate to say it, but what is more appealing?

I'm not saying he'll go - I'm just saying that there's a lot that could nudge him in that direction.

w0lfe
11/11/2009, 09:11 AM
Hmmm I remember an article that came about before this season from ESPN stating who the greatest football program in history was.... Could it have been OU?

SoonerLB
11/11/2009, 09:58 AM
Hmmm I remember an article that came about before this season from ESPN stating who the greatest football program in history was.... Could it have been OU?

EXACTLY!!!

Notre Dame would be a big step down for Stoops, period!

King Barry's Back
11/16/2009, 11:31 AM

That's all well and good. That article was based on real, on-the-field accomplishments -- not the kind of weepy love and admiration that certain folks all over America have for Notre Dame football.

We certainly DESERVE and HAVE EARNED as much prestige as the Domers, but ND has a national "it" factor that OU lacks -- unjust as it might be.

At the same time, let's deal in reality.

The administration at ND is stuck in the past, and is unprepared and unwilling to do what they need to do to be a top-5 football program again. They are stuck in the past, as they have been for decades. Anybody remember when ND refused to play in bowl games because it was beneath them?

There's a reason that ND blows lately, and there's not a lot that any coach can do to rectify that.

So, no, Bob Stoops doesn't go to Notre Dame. It might be in his blood to go there, but his brain will say "No way."

boomermagic
11/16/2009, 11:46 AM
Notre Dame hasn't won a national championship in 20 years. It's not an easy job, but it's one Stoops might relish the shot at.

If he wins two more here, his name is up there with Switzer and Wilkinson. However, if he wins just one up there, his name is up there with Rockne and Parseghian. As a Catholic boy from the Midwest, hate to say it, but what is more appealing?

I'm not saying he'll go - I'm just saying that there's a lot that could nudge him in that direction.

Bob will not get an offer IMO...

SoonerDood
11/16/2009, 11:47 AM

I thought Carol loved beaches and that's why they're going to Florida?:confused:

meoveryouxinfinity
11/16/2009, 11:48 AM
I thought Carol loved beaches and that's why they're going to Florida?:confused:

I love beaches and hos

Half a Hundred
11/16/2009, 11:54 AM

Not saying that these are the case, just that they are possible motivators.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/16/2009, 11:56 AM
Oh and if you're questioning the "rumor mill" (as stated in the title) just google bob stoops to notre dame..

this is one of the results.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/291254-bob-stoops-to-notre-dame-not-far-fetched

again, "RUMOR MILL"

rawlingsHOH
11/16/2009, 11:56 AM
Bob will not get an offer IMO...
I'd imagine it is his if he was interested, IMO.

Collier11
11/16/2009, 12:12 PM
Oh and if you're questioning the "rumor mill" (as stated in the title) just google bob stoops to notre dame..

this is one of the results.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/291254-bob-stoops-to-notre-dame-not-far-fetched

again, "RUMOR MILL"

Just to clarify, Bleacher report is a place where people like you and I write articles, there is nothing credible about those opinions unless you are reading them just for the opinion

boomermagic
11/16/2009, 12:39 PM
I'd imagine it is his if he was interested, IMO.

Your kidding right ?

meoveryouxinfinity
11/16/2009, 12:40 PM
Just to clarify, Bleacher report is a place where people like you and I write articles, there is nothing credible about those opinions unless you are reading them just for the opinion

And linked to it is the Chicago Sun Times article where, unfortunately, I cannot write articles :(

Collier11
11/16/2009, 12:41 PM
ah, my bad, I didnt see that. Still, pure speculation at this point

meoveryouxinfinity
11/16/2009, 12:46 PM
ah, my bad, I didnt see that. Still, pure speculation at this point

Here's the article in question. Very vague.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/colleges/1885241,CST-SPT-nd15.article

rawlingsHOH
11/16/2009, 12:52 PM
Your kidding right ?

No.

I think if Stoops wanted to be the ND head coach, he could be. I felt that way in 2005 also, when they settled on Weis.

goingoneight
11/16/2009, 12:58 PM
If you're in panic-mode because God forbid we've lost BCS GAMES or "HEAVENS NO, WE CAN LOSE ALL OF OUR ALL-AMERICANS AND STILL GO 14-0!!!"

Well... go ahead and wish Stoops gone. There were plenty of people claiming we should "Bury Barry" when I was a kid. We hired a top-flite assistant with program experience. That = Meh. We hired a coach with a ring who claimed he'd right the ship. That = Ugh. We then took the Boone Pickens approach and hired an alum... well... let's just say that despite a loss here or there that not many other can definitively prove they'd have done better is isn't all that much to melt down about.

If Stoops leaves, we're in deep shat.

That said... he was offered his own alma mater in 1998, and took Oklahoma.

The Ohio State job in Janurary 2001... another appealing big-time job. He said no thanks.

Florida, a place that's beautiful and ripe with high school talent, and a special place in his family's heart... TWICE... said no.

Michigan... the BIG HOUSE... 110,000 fans pack the house every Saturday... no thanks.

Dallas Cowboys have twice offered. No, thanks.

Stoops's good friend at Kansas City offered... no thanks.

Denver offered... no, thanks.

One day, Stoops probably wants to prove he can do more than just be successful at OU. I still believe that's a long ways away.

Track all the plane tickets and ESPN quotes all you want to... we've seen this story before.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/16/2009, 01:03 PM
I like to post this picture every once in a while when it seems fitting.

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/bob-stoops-in-bob-we-trust.jpg

Collier11
11/16/2009, 01:04 PM
I like to post this picture every once in a while when it seems fitting.

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/bob-stoops-in-bob-we-trust.jpg

you ommitted the boobies [hairGel]

SoonerDood
11/16/2009, 01:22 PM
If you're in panic-mode because God forbid we've lost BCS GAMES or "HEAVENS NO, WE CAN LOSE ALL OF OUR ALL-AMERICANS AND STILL GO 14-0!!!"

Well... go ahead and wish Stoops gone. There were plenty of people claiming we should "Bury Barry" when I was a kid. We hired a top-flite assistant with program experience. That = Meh. We hired a coach with a ring who claimed he'd right the ship. That = Ugh. We then took the Boone Pickens approach and hired an alum... well... let's just say that despite a loss here or there that not many other can definitively prove they'd have done better is isn't all that much to melt down about.

The Ohio State job in Janurary 2001... another appealing big-time job. He said no thanks.

Florida, a place that's beautiful and ripe with high school talent, and a special place in his family's heart... TWICE... said no.

Michigan... the BIG HOUSE... 110,000 fans pack the house every Saturday... no thanks.

One day, Stoops probably wants to prove he can do more than just be successful at OU. I still believe that's a long ways away.

Track all the plane tickets and ESPN quotes all you want to... we've seen this story before.

THIS^

WisconsinSooner
11/16/2009, 01:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

kingswitz
11/16/2009, 01:54 PM
Bob has said many times that he'll listen to alot of folks.... that doesn't mean he has an interest in leaving. Also, Bob and Carol are building a new house on 36th between Franklin and Indian Hills Rd. on 20 acres. Hopefully he's here to stay until their boys grad-ye-ate!

SoonerInLubbock
11/16/2009, 02:14 PM
Bob has said many times that he'll listen to alot of folks.... that doesn't mean he has an interest in leaving. Also, Bob and Carol are building a new house on 36th between Franklin and Indian Hills Rd. on 20 acres. Hopefully he's here to stay until their boys grad-ye-ate!

I'm sure they would rather people not know that. lol

TexasLidig8r
11/16/2009, 02:17 PM
I hope Bob Stoops stays at ou.

OKLA21FAN
11/16/2009, 02:19 PM
I hope Bob Stoops stays at ou.

this is genuis :pop:

Collier11
11/16/2009, 02:20 PM
I'm sure they would rather people not know that. lol

Pretty sure that everyone in town knows, how could you miss it? :D

boomermagic
11/16/2009, 02:22 PM

I think Bob is a good coach but we'll be fine when he leaves.. I have no doubt..

boomermagic
11/16/2009, 02:24 PM
No.

I think if Stoops wanted to be the ND head coach, he could be. I felt that way in 2005 also, when they settled on Weis.

No doubt Bob would have had a shot then but I don't think he gets an offer this time.. We'll see..

Collier11
11/16/2009, 02:25 PM
I think Bob is a great coach, Top 10 in the country if not Top 5, but we'll be fine when he leaves.. I have no doubt..

Fixed

SoonerInLubbock
11/16/2009, 02:25 PM

Yeah your prob right. I just couldn't imagine being so famous locally, that every time you move into a new house everyone knows about it. Don't get me wrong it's hard to feel sorry for somebody who makes millions doing a dream job. But it sure must suck sometimes,lol.

kingswitz
11/16/2009, 02:26 PM

Exactly.

boomermagic
11/16/2009, 02:26 PM
Fixed

You fix it YOUR way I had it mine..

Collier11
11/16/2009, 02:40 PM
your way is wrong, just helping

85Sooner
11/16/2009, 02:47 PM
I'd say This ~~ If Mike Stoops can pull out a 10 win season at Arizona this year...?? - Look for His Name on the ND List.....

I'd take him if Bob leaves.

boomermagic
11/16/2009, 02:53 PM
I'd take him if Bob leaves.

I agree..

mightysooner
11/16/2009, 02:55 PM
Stoops to Denver
Stoops to Cleveland
Stoops to Florida
Stoops to Notre Dame

^^^^^^THIS

boomermagic
11/16/2009, 02:57 PM
your way is wrong, just helping

I think ND will go after a coach who has had a really good season not one who's team has slipped under the expectations.. I know we have had an abundance of injuries but they won't look at that.. They will remember seeing us lose bowl games and slipping badly and Bob will not get a second look IMO.. We will see in time just watch closely..

JLEW1818
11/16/2009, 02:58 PM
I heard he was taking over for the Cowboys

sooneron
11/16/2009, 02:59 PM
Mike to ND is intriguing.

C&CDean
11/16/2009, 03:00 PM
This is a really stupid thread. And FWIW, ND would eat a line of **** from Indiana to Norman for Stoops.

Also, Stoops could go anywhere he wants. He happens to be at the place he wants to be. It's just a shame some of our fans are such knuckleheads.

JLEW1818
11/16/2009, 03:01 PM
i think i heard he is going to USC

OKLA21FAN
11/16/2009, 03:01 PM
There is not enough Mary Key sale opportunities in South Bend to keep Carol satisfied.

thread ovar! :pop:

JLEW1818
11/16/2009, 03:02 PM
Bob is long gone!

Carol can stay with me

boomermagic
11/16/2009, 03:18 PM
This is a really stupid thread. And FWIW, ND would eat a line of **** from Indiana to Norman for Stoops.

Also, Stoops could go anywhere he wants. He happens to be at the place he wants to be. It's just a shame some of our fans are such knuckleheads.

With all due respect Dean I'm afraid you are wrong on that one.. A few years ago maybe but not now.. I never have followed the stoops is God crowd although I do think he is a very good coach.. Stoops could not have his choice of college teams. Do you honestly think Florida would trade ? USC ? Ohio State ? Alabama ? Texas wouldn't trade Mack for him.. I seriously doubt KState would trade Or South Carolina Or Tennessee. Miami wouldn't trade, Boise St. I could name many more..

I am a homer as well Dean but Bob just doesn't have the appeal as a coach that he used to enjoy IMO.. Too many people have seen too many loses on TV lately.. I admire your homerism because I show it as well from time to time but I disagree..

OKLA21FAN
11/16/2009, 03:25 PM
With all due respect Dean....

you should have stopped at that point

Jello Biafra
11/16/2009, 03:25 PM
well, i dont think ND will have enough stroke to pull him off our campus. but, if they do manage to, we will have coaches lined up to take over. i would bet. several mentioned would be good. some not mentioned would be good. as long as we keep josh and a few others, im good.

if this DOES happen, im gonna kick jlew in the man taco....

stoops the eternal pimp
11/16/2009, 03:31 PM
the money it will take to buy out Porky + the money it will take to sign Bob= not gonna happen

TexasLidig8r
It's just a shame some of our fans are such knuckleheads.

I'M TELLIN!!

POST REPORTED!!

Report yourself Dean.

:D

boomermagic
well, i dont think ND will have enough stroke to pull him off our campus. but, if they do manage to, we will have coaches lined up to take over. i would bet. several mentioned would be good. some not mentioned would be good. as long as we keep josh and a few others, im good.

if this DOES happen, im gonna kick jlew in the man taco....

Hey do you ever eat at Sid's diner in Yukon ?

rawlingsHOH
11/16/2009, 03:36 PM
I think ND will go after a coach who has had a really good season not one who's team has slipped under the expectations.. I know we have had an abundance of injuries but they won't look at that.. They will remember seeing us lose bowl games and slipping badly and Bob will not get a second look IMO.. We will see in time just watch closely..

That's silly.

boomermagic
11/16/2009, 03:40 PM
That's silly.

Ok, We'll see..

Jello Biafra
11/16/2009, 03:51 PM

o yeh...mah favorite...best onion burgers in the metro...

boomermagic
11/16/2009, 03:56 PM
o yeh...mah favorite...best onion burgers in the metro...

I like it as well.. I used to have breakfast there with Dale Robertson when Dale was able to get around better..

swardboy
11/16/2009, 04:27 PM

Ok you two.....go get a room.

boomerinhou
11/16/2009, 07:09 PM

WHAT?? WHAT HAPPENED TO OPRAH?? :eek:

WAS SHE IN A CAR WRECK? OMG!! OPRAH WAS IN A CAR WRECK!! :eek:

WAS HER HEAD CUT OFF?? OMG!! OPRAH WAS IN A CAR WRECK AND GOT HER HEAD CUT OFF!!

:eek:

:pop:

boomersoonr7xchamps
11/16/2009, 08:14 PM

Well Said....Be careful what you wish for, folks....Remember John Blake?

Leroyt
11/16/2009, 08:31 PM
Do you honestly think Florida would trade ? USC ? Ohio State ? Alabama ?
Yeah, but that's not the standard suggested. If the question is "would any of these teams hire Stoops if their spot was vacant", I think you know that he'd be an attractive candidate. Bringing up a program from obscurity to the cusp is great, but when laid out on the table, it's not as big as a crystal football. Also, Ohio State would trade.

Sabanball
11/16/2009, 08:37 PM
...Sounds about as crazy as the Stoops to Tuscaloosa rumors three years ago.....

boomermagic
11/16/2009, 08:57 PM
Yeah, but that's not the standard suggested. If the question is "would any of these teams hire Stoops if their spot was vacant", I think you know that he'd be an attractive candidate. Bringing up a program from obscurity to the cusp is great, but when laid out on the table, it's not as big as a crystal football. Also, Ohio State would trade.

I think Bob would be a good fit at a lot of programs because he is a good coach but folks there are a bunch of good coaches out there.. I don't think Bob could just pick where he wanted to coach and I don't think he would be as popular as he was 5 years ago.. I think Ohio State is very happy with JT Probably as happy as we are with Bob.. I don't want Bob to leave nor would I worry if he did.. I have confidence In Joe C and President Boren.. We would plug another good coach in and IMO not miss a beat. It's fine to disagree but that doesn't mean you are right and I am wrong.. I truly believe what I am saying is true but afterall, All we can do is give our opinions.. Bob may or may not make a short list at ND or USC or Florida.. It's possible but I wouldn't be surprised if he did or didn't.. You can give me all the stats you want but I would take Barry over Bob in a heartbeat..
What i mean by that is, I have never been as high on Bob as I was Barry..

Curly Bill
11/16/2009, 09:07 PM
Lets go get Gary Patterson!

...I mean if Bob's leaving and all. ;)

madillsoonerfan5353
11/16/2009, 09:34 PM
Lets go get Gary Patterson!

...I mean if Bob's leaving and all. ;)

THIS!!!

Collier11
11/16/2009, 09:52 PM
Yea cus Patterson has won that mighty MWC how many times in his tenure?

Curly Bill
11/16/2009, 09:55 PM
Yea cus Patterson has won that mighty MWC how many times in his tenure?

I say bring in Patterson because I think he'd have the balls to get rid of assistants that aren't cutting it. ;) :P :D

Collier11
11/16/2009, 10:02 PM
the more you talk CB the more I think you are drunk 90% of the time, lol

Sabanball
11/16/2009, 10:03 PM
I say bring in Patterson because I think he'd have the balls to get rid of assistants that aren't cutting it. ;) :P :D

Damn...you guys are spoiled.;)

Curly Bill
11/16/2009, 10:09 PM
Damn...you guys are spoiled.;)

That may be true. :D

Curly Bill
11/16/2009, 10:09 PM
the more you talk CB the more I think you are drunk 90% of the time, lol

Awww, just because I don't have a Stoops shrine in my home. ;)

Collier11
11/16/2009, 10:59 PM
NOt at all, just cus you call for BV to be fired when you cant name me one replacement who would be better and you say hire Patterson if Stoops leaves even though he has won the mighty MWC once or twice maybe

Curly Bill
11/16/2009, 11:00 PM
NOt at all, just cus you call for BV to be fired when you cant name me one replacement who would be better and you say hire Patterson if Stoops leaves even though he has won the mighty MWC once or twice maybe

So.... I didn't send you that list of about 15 guys I'd rather have than BV?

VA Sooner
11/16/2009, 11:14 PM
OU is a much better job right now that ND for Stoops. The ideal person I think is Brian Kelly... he's done a great job at Cincy. TCU's Gary Patterson is a good choice too... depends on what he wants to do with TCU. They've risen to a national powerhouse fairly consistently over the years.

madillsoonerfan5353
11/16/2009, 11:41 PM
NOt at all, just cus you call for BV to be fired when you cant name me one replacement who would be better.

Will Muschump

Bud Forster

Two thats all I got! :D :gary:

Curly Bill
11/16/2009, 11:43 PM
Will Muschump

Bud Forster

Two thats all I got! :D :gary:

I sat down one day and in less than 10 minutes I had a list of somewhere around 15. I just don't know what I did with it, and I don't know if I ever forwarded said list to Collier.

starclassic tama
11/17/2009, 03:35 AM
With all due respect Dean I'm afraid you are wrong on that one.. A few years ago maybe but not now.. I never have followed the stoops is God crowd although I do think he is a very good coach.. Stoops could not have his choice of college teams. Do you honestly think Florida would trade ? USC ? Ohio State ? Alabama ? Texas wouldn't trade Mack for him.. I seriously doubt KState would trade Or South Carolina Or Tennessee. Miami wouldn't trade, Boise St. I could name many more..

I am a homer as well Dean but Bob just doesn't have the appeal as a coach that he used to enjoy IMO.. Too many people have seen too many loses on TV lately.. I admire your homerism because I show it as well from time to time but I disagree..

well no they wouldn't trade their current coaches for bob because they are in great shape just like we (rational fans) wouldn't trade bob for any other coach right now. the point is, if their coach left, any program would love to have stoops. just like if stoops left here, we'd love to have any of those great coaches.

sooner59
11/17/2009, 03:40 AM
well no they wouldn't trade their current coaches for bob because they are in great shape just like we (rational fans) wouldn't trade bob for any other coach right now. the point is, if their coach left, any program would love to have stoops. just like if stoops left here, we'd love to have any of those great coaches.

Hey! This isn't the time nor the place for rationality! :D

King Barry's Back
11/17/2009, 07:14 AM
.. We would plug another good coach in and IMO not miss a beat ... You can give me all the stats you want but I would take Barry over Bob in a heartbeat...
What i mean by that is, I have never been as high on Bob as I was Barry..

Magic, I don't know how old you are, but I am old enough to remember the Switzer years very clearly, and let me tell you something -- we didn't have message boards but plenty of fans said plenty of times that we could "plug" in a top notch coach that could equal Mr Switzer's accomplishments. If that statement was ever justified, it was justified by "We are Oklahoma. Our program is too strong to be run down by coach."

Then we hired Gary Gibbs. Then we hired Smells-of-bourbon. Then we hired John Blake.

Those guys were so successful in plugging in for Switzer that we Sooners fell down at worshipped at the feet of Bob Stoops after he turned in a 7-5 season in 1999.

Back in the 90s, I used to warn my Husker friends that Tom was getting old, and they needed to think about who was coming on next. Without missing a beat, they'd respond "We're Nebraska. Our program is too strong, blah, blah, blah."

Say what you want, no program is strong enough to withstand an incompetent coach, or a mediocre coach over an extended period.

A great program stays great by hiring great coaches, and it turns out those great coaches are harder to find than most fans think.

StoopTroup
11/17/2009, 07:44 AM
I heard the same rumor but I think he's just coming in for the elk chili, a couple pops of brew, christen my love child and to inspect the laaatrines at the tailgate.

They call that Blessing the Protestants.

StoopTroup
11/17/2009, 07:48 AM
What's funny is...

With a 1 in 4 record in MNCs...Bob is good enough for Notre Dame...but not good enough for Oklahoma? So....it's Go Get Gary Patterson! I give Patterson 3 years and gone. Plus I'll be able to get four seats together once the bandwagoners clear out.

StoopTroup
11/17/2009, 08:04 AM
I'm thinking back to around 2001....

I remember Bob saying that one thing he missed was the Florida Fans and how the Swamp rawked. I think that's always been something he's missed at OU. I've seen two out of control rawkous crowds since Bob has been our Head Coach. The OU / Nebraska Game in 2000 and the Texas Tech "Jump Around" Game last year.

What I think inspires him is this....

He has always stated that the reason he came to Oklahoma is it's tradition of winning Championships. Whether it's the Big XII or the National Championship....I think it is what keeps him laughing when these "RUMORS" start flying. He knows that what he's build over the last 10 years is his. He knows that leaving requires him to build it again...at another University. Is Notre Dame a University with Tradition? Well...yes. Do they play Conference Games? Ummmm....no. Does that make it difficult to get to the National Championship. Yes.

Bob has it all going his way right here in Oklahoma.

What was really cool to see was this...

Even though our Team went up to Lincoln and our new QB had an awful day....when Bob and the Team returned Home for the A&M Game...the Stands were full of screaming Sooners rooting the team on to a ROUT of A&M.

All Bob had to do was look up into those stands to see that nobody was ready for him to leave. This is his Home.

He won't be leaving any time soon.

mojohornfan
11/17/2009, 08:28 AM
He won't be leaving any time soon.

Yeeee Hawwwwwww!!!!!!!

boomermagic
11/17/2009, 09:04 AM
Magic, I don't know how old you are, but I am old enough to remember the Switzer years very clearly, and let me tell you something -- we didn't have message boards but plenty of fans said plenty of times that we could "plug" in a top notch coach that could equal Mr Switzer's accomplishments. If that statement was ever justified, it was justified by "We are Oklahoma. Our program is too strong to be run down by coach."

Then we hired Gary Gibbs. Then we hired Smells-of-bourbon. Then we hired John Blake.

Those guys were so successful in plugging in for Switzer that we Sooners fell down at worshipped at the feet of Bob Stoops after he turned in a 7-5 season in 1999.

Back in the 90s, I used to warn my Husker friends that Tom was getting old, and they needed to think about who was coming on next. Without missing a beat, they'd respond "We're Nebraska. Our program is too strong, blah, blah, blah."

Say what you want, no program is strong enough to withstand an incompetent coach, or a mediocre coach over an extended period.

A great program stays great by hiring great coaches, and it turns out those great coaches are harder to find than most fans think.

We hired a couple of bad coaches and the program did suffer.. I am 55 years old my friend and have been a Sooner fan since I can remember being anything.. I NEVER thought Barry wasn't the best coach out there when he was coaching OU and I predicted we would suffer as a program when he left but I do not feel like Joe C and President Boren would make those same mistakes.. We would plug one in and not miss a beat we may even gain.. I don't think Bob is going anywhere so we don't have anything to worry about anyway.. I do think the national opinion of Bob is far less than some of us Sooner fans at this point..

Collier11
11/17/2009, 09:32 AM
So.... I didn't send you that list of about 15 guys I'd rather have than BV?

ive asked you for your list several times, never seen a thing

rawlingsHOH
11/17/2009, 10:02 AM
We would plug another good coach in and IMO not miss a beat.
Just like we plugged them in after Wilkinson and Switzer, right?

badger
11/17/2009, 10:17 AM
Has anyone yet posted Stoops' response to this crap? Here, I will again just for good measure:

Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20091117_92_B5_NORMAN509705)

You guys believe a 'confidant?' What's that? That's a pretty good buddy, wasn't it?" he said. "Maybe he felt things were going (bad enough at OU) that I needed that, huh? Buddy of mine trying to help me out, huh?

There you have it. The only Irish thing on Stoops' mind is Patty O'Hara. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20091117_92_B1_NORMAN11793)

When asked about O'Hara on Monday night, OU's coach lit up like a Christmas tree and said: "My man, Patty!"

NormanPride
11/17/2009, 10:38 AM
Paddy. Patty is a girl's name.

Sasakwa
11/17/2009, 11:28 AM

Amen. Just look at MeatChicken, ND, USC before Carol, OU with Blake, UT with Mackovic, etc.

Soonerman08
11/17/2009, 11:34 AM
What's funny is...

With a 1 in 4 record in MNCs...Bob is good enough for Notre Dame...but not good enough for Oklahoma? So....it's Go Get Gary Patterson! I give Patterson 3 years and gone. Plus I'll be able to get four seats together once the bandwagoners clear out.

People are idiots for calling for Stoops' job. :mad:

StoopTroup
11/17/2009, 11:34 AM
Yeeee Hawwwwwww!!!!!!!

Mack is scheduling his January Interview as we speak.

11/17/2009, 11:48 AM
Has anyone yet posted Stoops' response to this crap? Here, I will again just for good measure:

Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20091117_92_B5_NORMAN509705)

There you have it. The only Irish thing on Stoops' mind is Patty O'Hara. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20091117_92_B1_NORMAN11793)

Coach Stoops' silence is deafening!

boomermagic
11/17/2009, 11:56 AM
People are idiots for calling for Stoops' job. :mad:

Anyone who wishes Bob gone is not giving the matter a lot of thought for sure.. Don't know if I would call them an idiot but I think Bob will stay and have OU back in the battle for a Big 12 Championship and maybe even a NC next season or the next for sure.. As I have said Bob is a good coach and I hope he stays a while longer.

badger
11/17/2009, 12:06 PM
Coach Stoops' silence is deafening!

If you would read the entire article, you would see that Stoops said that he would listen to offers if presented to him. However, he confirmed that he hasn't taken any offers up yet and that he thinks the whole concept of being a candidate for a job that isn't vacant while there's still several games left this season (including our bowl. yay, eligibility) is asinine.

I love the word "asinine." It sounds like you're about the call the person an @$$hole for even bringing up something so stupid. "Asinine" works perfectly here.

boomermagic
11/17/2009, 12:09 PM
If you would read the entire article, you would see that Stoops said that he would listen to offers if presented to him. However, he confirmed that he hasn't taken any offers up yet and that he thinks the whole concept of being a candidate for a job that isn't vacant while there's still several games left this season (including our bowl. yay, eligibility) is asinine.

I love the word "asinine." It sounds like you're about the call the person an @$$hole for even bringing up something so stupid. "Asinine" works perfectly here.

I don't think Bob will get an offer..

Collier11
11/17/2009, 12:18 PM
Kind of hard to get an offer when you refuse to even listen

boomermagic
11/17/2009, 12:20 PM
Kind of hard to get an offer when you refuse to even listen

He said he would listen didn't he ?

Collier11
11/17/2009, 12:25 PM
He also said any talk about this is retarded more or less

TMcGee86
11/17/2009, 12:25 PM
He never said he would listen.

He just didn't say he wouldn't listen.

starclassic tama
11/18/2009, 01:41 AM
he has always said he would talk with other programs, out of respect is my guess. just like when jeremy foley supposedly flew him down there and the were in serious talks, just like with the browns broncos etc.... bob's not going to be a jerk and just say NO YOU AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH TO BE GRACED BY MY PRESENCE. he is a respectful guy, not to mention smart enough not to burn any bridges. he ain't goin' anywhere anytime soon

SoonerinSouthlake
11/18/2009, 08:23 AM
Bob has always listened.

Lifting his skirt to Florida, Cleveland Browns, ND in the past, probably Jerry Jones, and others has made him one of the highest paid coaches in football at one of the top 5 jobs in the sport.

He's been loyal....but not stupid ....he knows how to get paid.

I could be wrong of course. Maybe he is interested in trying something new.
But logic says, look what he has accomplished at OU. Not just a National Championship and a great w-l record. But look at Norman Oklahoma. He has directly impacted: attendance, stadium growth, cash for the university which lead to major development..and lets face it he has directly resulted in revenue which has had major positive affects on the City of Norman and surrounding areas.

SO yes...he is a head coach of a top 5 job, but ever more so a major pillar of the community. He likely knows he is one of those guys that will have streets, buildings and community centers named after him. That level takes a lot of things going right to get to There is a VERY short list of people who have reached that pinnacle..and being on that list IS what results oriented coaches dream of.

If it was just a crystal trophy and a win/loss record it'd be logical that just "a new challenge" to would interest him greatly. Whether you consider ND a step up or a step down, as far as the job goes its at best a lateral move.

But for him to risk, and try to repeat everything he has accomplished here would be too much to ask IMHO

Rest well my friends, I believe we have an OU lifer.

(Im sure I will re-copy this message when--The Dallas Cowboy job opens up, Notre Dame opens up AGAIN, Florida Opens up and perhaps I may even have to do it when the Yankee job opens up )

boomermagic
11/18/2009, 10:45 AM
Bob has always listened.

Lifting his skirt to Florida, Cleveland Browns, ND in the past, probably Jerry Jones, and others has made him one of the highest paid coaches in football at one of the top 5 jobs in the sport.

But logic says, look what he has accomplished at OU. Not just a National Championship and a great w-l record. But look at Norman Oklahoma. He has directly impacted: attendance, stadium growth, cash for the university which lead to major development..and lets face it he has directly resulted in revenue which has had major positive affects on the City of Norman and surrounding areas.

SO yes...he is a head coach of a top 5 job, but ever more so a major pillar of the community. He likely knows he is one of those guys that will have streets, buildings and community centers named after him. That level takes a lot of things going right to get to There is a VERY short list of people who have reached that pinnacle..and being on that list IS what results oriented coaches dream of.

If it was just a crystal trophy and a win/loss record it'd be logical that just "a new challenge" to would interest him greatly. Whether you consider ND a step up or a step down, as far as the job goes its at best a lateral move.

But for him to risk, and try to repeat everything he has accomplished here would be too much to ask IMHO

(Im sure I will re-copy this message when--The Dallas Cowboy job opens up, Notre Dame opens up AGAIN, Florida Opens up and perhaps I may even have to do it when the Yankee job opens up )

we'll see..

boomermagic
11/18/2009, 10:46 AM
Bob has always listened.

As I have said many times Bob is a good coach no better or worse than a bunch of coaches out there today.. He looked like a great coach when he had great assistants.. I have seen nothing to convince me that ND is interested in Bob and I doubt he gets an offer.. Bob is very fortunate to be the head coach at OU IMO.. He ain't no Switzer..

Collier11
11/18/2009, 11:27 AM
ever coach looks better when he has great assistants, see Pete Carrol and Mack Brown

rawlingsHOH
11/18/2009, 11:36 AM
As I have said many times Bob is a good coach no better or worse than a bunch of coaches out there today.. He looked like a great coach when he had great assistants.. I have seen nothing to convince me that ND is interested in Bob and I doubt he gets an offer.. Bob is very fortunate to be the head coach at OU IMO.. He ain't no Switzer..
His resume at OU is nearly as impressive as Switzer's.

In fact, all three coaches are very close.

boomermagic
11/18/2009, 12:04 PM
His resume at OU is nearly as impressive as Switzer's.

In fact, all three coaches are very close.

Hey, I call em like I see em.. I gave my opinion and I stand by it.. Besides, I did say Bob is a good coach and I believe that I just don't share the Stoops IS God opinions.. There are better coaches out there for sure and as I have said in the past If Bob were to leave we would be just fine {Now i don't want Bob to leave} I wouldn't worry a bit.. Joe C. Is not going to hire a john blake or a snelly folks.. We would be in great hands with a very good coach in no time at all and might even have a better staff as a result.. I'm not the least bit concerned.. Let me say it ONE MORE TIME.. I don't want Bob to leave and I'm not calling for Bob to leave..

rawlingsHOH
11/18/2009, 12:11 PM
Hey, I call em like I see em.. I gave my opinion and I stand by it.. Besides, I did say Bob is a good coach and I believe that I just don't share the Stoops IS God opinions.. There are better coaches out there for sure and as I have said in the past If Bob were to leave we would be just fine {Now i don't want Bob to leave} I wouldn't worry a bit.. Joe C. Is not going to hire a john blake or a snelly folks.. We would be in great hands with a very good coach in no time at all and might even have a better staff as a result.. I'm not the least bit concerned.. Let me say it ONE MORE TIME.. I don't want Bob to leave and I'm not calling for Bob to leave..
I have no idea why you keep referencing that.

I simply stated the performance record for all three coaches is very similar.

For you to to make a statement like... "Bob is very fortunate to be the head coach at OU", is quite the back-handed remark. Of course, anyone should be considered 'fortunate' to have the opportunity to make that kind of money, and being able to coach a game they love. But in the context you use, it is inferring that Oklahoma could do, or should be deserved, better. Get real.

But hey, I just call em as I see em!

boomermagic
11/18/2009, 12:18 PM
I have no idea why you keep referencing that.

I simply stated the performance record for all three coaches is very similar.

For you to to make a statement like... "Bob is very fortunate to be the head coach at OU", is quite the back-handed remark. Of course, anyone should be considered 'fortunate' to have the opportunity to make that kind of money, and being able to coach a game they love. But in the context you use, it is inferring that Oklahoma could do, or should be deserved, better. Get real.

But hey, I just call em as I see em!

I just gave my opinion and If you disagree that's too bad.. Bob is VERY fortunate to be the head coach at OU.. Actually, I have heard him say that many times.. I guess i pissed you off but OH WELL... Maybe you'll get over it but Hey, I just call em like I see em.. One LAST time.. I think Bob is a good coach..

Collier11
11/18/2009, 12:21 PM
Just to correct you, there are about 10 Great coaches, Bob is one of them

rawlingsHOH
11/18/2009, 12:22 PM
I just gave my opinion and If you disagree that's too bad.. Bob is VERY fortunate to be the head coach at OU.. Actually, I have heard him say that many times.. I guess i pissed you off but OH WELL... Maybe you'll get over it but Hey, I just call em like I see em.. One LAST time.. I think Bob is a good coach..
When he says it, opposed to you using it in your context, it means something more. As I said, back-handed remark.

RedstickSooner
11/18/2009, 12:23 PM

I'm not sure why so many folks seem so convinced that there's no way we'd hire a John Blake or a Smellsofbourbon.

For every "great" hire a top tier program makes, there's a good 2 or 3 duds. Stoops was a great hire, and to suggest that we'd magically hit the same jackpot again is an assumption without evidence to back it up.

Joe C. has no crystal ball, even if he hired us a guy who won the crystal football. If he had to pull another head coach in, there is absolutely no guarantee how good the guy would be. I'm also not sure if there are as many top notch candidates as there were a few years ago. Saban and Urban were two of the surest-fire candidates on the market in the past five years, and both have brought instant success to their programs.

Who is a sure-fire candidate out there right now? It's not like we can take someone who is already at a top-level program, as it's very difficult to dislodge them. To me, the best "gettable" coach would be Leach, but that's just my opinion, it isn't like every fellow Sooner fan would agree that he'd be a top-tier choice. Same goes for anyone else you can name. Saban and Urban were, basically, consensus top-choices. I don't think the same could be said of anyone who is on the market now.

My first choice is Bob Stoops. My second choice is Mike Leach. Third choice is Jon Gruden. Fourth choice is Bill Cowher. (I think having a good former NFL guy would help a lot with recruiting, but obviously have no reason to think either of those guys would have any interest in coaching college ball).

rawlingsHOH
11/18/2009, 12:26 PM
Third choice is Jon Gruden.
This is who I'd want.

boomermagic
11/18/2009, 12:39 PM
Just to correct you, there are about 10 Great coaches, Bob is one of them

Thank you for your OPINION.. We all have them just like ah oh well anyway I am not saying Bob is NOT a great coach.. Is Mack ? A few years ago almost everyone on this board were saying he was a joke I don't think he has gotten worse or much better.. Bob needs to take full control of his team as in hiring new assistants when needed that means get rid of one or 2 when he needs to.. Do you think Saban would hesitate ? NO WAY..

Is Mangino a GREAT coach ? Just because he hasn't won a NC doesn't matter to me same for Snyder.. I think Bill Snyder is the best coach In football period.. He hasn't won a NC but what would he have done at OU ? WOW..

Is Pete Carrol a great coach ? Mike Leach ? He can't be because he hasn't won a NC at TT right ? LOL.. I don't see it that way... Has the Boise State coach won a NC ? Is he better than Stoops ? There are SO MANY potential GREAT coaches out there 10 doesn't do college football justice..

How many times have WE been out coached by some of the ones I mentioned ? Are there others ? Hell yes.. Stoops is just one good coach among the many and probably not close to being the best.. Snyder has forgotten more about coaching than most peoples top 10 coaches ever will know.. There are so many coaches at colleges that haven't had a chance to coach the type of great athletes Bob has and yet they are winners.. How would they do at OU ? 10 great coaches ? That is truly laughable... Oh, No need to thank me for CORRECTING YOU...

boomermagic
11/18/2009, 12:40 PM
When he says it, opposed to you using it in your context, it means something more. As I said, back-handed remark.

YOUR OPINION !!!!!! But ya know what ? Ask me if I care ?

Collier11
11/18/2009, 12:41 PM
I think Gruden would be good in college, if it came down to it though I would want Kelly from cincy as my #1, that guy has won big at every step

Collier11
11/18/2009, 12:44 PM
Thank you for your OPINION.. We all have them just like ah oh well anyway I am not saying Bob is NOT a great coach.. Is Mack ? A few years ago almost everyone on this board were saying he was a joke I don't think he has gotten worse or much better.. Bob needs to take full control of his team as in hiring new assistants when needed that means get rid of one or 2 when he needs to.. Do you think Saban would hesitate ? NO WAY..

Is Mangino a GREAT coach ? Just because he hasn't won a NC doesn't matter to me same for Snyder.. I think Bill Snyder is the best coach In football period.. He hasn't won a NC but what would he have done at OU ? WOW..

Is Pete Carrol a great coach ? Mike Leach ? He can't be because he hasn't won a NC at TT right ? LOL.. I don't see it that way... Has the Boise State coach won a NC ? Is he better than Stoops ? There are SO MANY potential GREAT coaches out there 10 doesn't do college football justice..

How many times have WE been out coached by some of the ones I mentioned ? Are there others ? Hell yes.. Stoops is just one good coach among the many and probably not close to being the best.. Snyder has forgotten more about coaching than most peoples top 10 coaches ever will know.. There are so many coaches at colleges that haven't had a chance to coach the type of great athletes Bob has and yet they are winners.. How would they do at OU ? 10 great coaches ? That is truly laughable...

This is who I would list as great coaches at this time in college football

Bob Stoops
Mack Brown
Pete Caroll
Urban Meyer
Nick Saban
Brian Kelly
Chris Peterson
Jim Tressel

Ok so not quite 10

rawlingsHOH
11/18/2009, 12:50 PM
YOUR OPINION !!!!!! But ya know what ? Ask me if I care ?

Oh, No need to thank me for CORRECTING YOU...
You've carried the same tired schtick over from OUInsider.

Sure seems like you don't want others using their "opinions" to critique your "opinion". Especially for one who "doesn't care".

Just sayin

boomermagic
11/18/2009, 12:53 PM
This is who I would list as great coaches at this time in college football

Bob Stoops
Mack Brown
Pete Caroll
Urban Meyer
Nick Saban
Brian Kelly
Chris Peterson
Jim Tressel

Ok so not quite 10

Those are ALL of the GREAT college football coaches ? I noticed you didn't even list Snyder as being in the top 10 ? Your list is worthless..

boomermagic
11/18/2009, 12:54 PM
You've carried the same tired schtick over from OUInsider.

Sure seems like you don't want others using their "opinions" to critique your "opinion". Especially for one who "doesn't care".

Just sayin

You don't have to read or respond ! :mad:I remember your BS there as well..

rawlingsHOH
11/18/2009, 12:56 PM
You don't have to read or respond ! :mad:
Because only your "opinion" should be heard, right?

JLEW1818
11/18/2009, 12:56 PM
Those are ALL of the GREAT college football coaches ? I noticed you didn't even list Snyder as being in the top 10 ? Your list is worthless..

6 of 8 of those coaches have a national title

boomermagic
11/18/2009, 12:58 PM
8 of those coaches have a national title

SO ? So does Snellenberger !

boomermagic
11/18/2009, 12:59 PM
Because only your "opinion" should be heard, right?

Your trying to pick a fight here..

Collier11
11/18/2009, 12:59 PM

My list is worthless, pfffttt. You gripe about others using their opinions but then you act like yours is the only one that matters. I said great coaches right now, Snyder was great for what he did with that program but at this time, I dont feel he is one of the best in the country. We will see how they do in the next few yrs

JLEW1818
11/18/2009, 01:00 PM
recently?? just b/c Bobby Bowden and Joe have the most wins ever, are they the best current coaches in the land? **** no

boomermagic
11/18/2009, 02:04 PM
recently?? just b/c Bobby Bowden and Joe have the most wins ever, are they the best current coaches in the land? **** no

Thats what I am talking about.. There are Many MANY good coaches out there and a list of 8 who's teams are doing well recently just doesn't do the coaching profession justice IMO..

boomermagic
11/18/2009, 02:07 PM
My list is worthless, pfffttt. You gripe about others using their opinions but then you act like yours is the only one that matters. I said great coaches right now, Snyder was great for what he did with that program but at this time, I dont feel he is one of the best in the country. We will see how they do in the next few yrs

You have a right to your opinion as well and so do I.. You obviously think you are correct and so do I.. We can leave it at that I have no problem with anyone on this board or their opinions.. As I said we all have opinions and this is a place to voice/type them..

Collier11
11/18/2009, 02:08 PM
The statement if you had read it was about the Great coaches as of current times. Bowden being great in the 90's or Snyder in the early 2000's doesnt count for current.

Now if you wanna talk about all time greats some of those guys would be removed and some would be added

Jello Biafra
11/18/2009, 02:11 PM
Your trying to pick a fight here..

why dont you guys just screw and get it over with here....we have a major crisis going on :P

boomermagic
11/18/2009, 02:50 PM
why dont you guys just screw and get it over with here....we have a major crisis going on :P

Smartass.. :D

spatton713
11/19/2009, 01:05 AM
sadly if bob leaves anytime soon (dont think he will) i would only want urban, petey, (hate em both) or gary patterson....but since there is no chance in HELL stoops leaves for ND i dunno who I would want to replace him in 10 years:)

soonerboy
11/19/2009, 02:27 AM
I honestly think with a couple more years below his belt harbaugh will be one of the top coaches. Give him OU, SUC, FL... one of those top tier teams and I think he can really do good things.

soonerboy
11/19/2009, 02:30 AM
sadly if bob leaves anytime soon (dont think he will) i would only want urban, petey, (hate em both) or gary patterson....but since there is no chance in HELL stoops leaves for ND i dunno who I would want to replace him in 10 years:)

Good coaches, but I just dont see Pete Carroll as an OU guy. I dont know why but there is just something about him that makes me feel like he would do very good here.

Rogue
11/21/2009, 08:21 AM
http://www.covers.com/articles/columns/articles.aspx?theArt=174738

harlie Weis is being slow-cooked like a supple pig.

He’ll rotate over a South Bend fire for the next two weeks, releasing the smell of fresh meat throughout the college football landscape.

His imminent canning (mmmm ... canned supple pig) is already being felt in Florida, Oklahoma, Cincinnati and even way out at Stanford, where brash Jim Harbaugh awaits to stick a fork in Weis and Notre Dame next week.

But this is nothing new. Every November, coaching controversies become a major handicapping factor. They not only affect the team whose coach is on the hot seat, but also the teams with coaches who are possible candidates.

Last year, it was Phil Fulmer, who in early November agreed to coach the Vols through the end of the season before stepping aside. In their first game after Fulmer’s announcement, the Vols lost straight-up as 27-point favorites to – gulp - Wyoming at home.

In 2004, it was Tyrone Willingham, whose Notre Dame squad crumbled under the pressure of playing for the coach’s job. The Irish lost three of their last four straight up and against the spread, leading to Willingham’s ousting.

Oklahoma State also suffered a tough ending to 2004. Then-Cowboys coach Les Miles knew he was headed to LSU and reportedly even met with Tiger officials before the Cowboys’ bowl game against Ohio State. The Cowboys, favored by four, were trounced 33-7 by the Buckeyes. Miles was in Baton Rouge soon after.

Now, we get to see how the Irish react with their coach sweating (mmmmm … sweaty Charlie Weis) for two more games. Weis says he doesn’t believe a decision has been made. But that seems a little naïve. Surely, the Notre Dame brass doesn’t believe wins over UConn and Stanford are signs the Irish are headed back to prominence.

In my opinion, this is a done deal. In fact, I’d bet on it.

Thankfully, oddsmakers over at Bodog.com hooked me up with projected lines on who the next Notre Dame coach will be.

Urban Meyer +150

The head Gator said in his biography that he wanted to go to Notre Dame, but his family preferred Florida.

But after Steve Spurrier stoked the Meyer-to-Notre Dame rumors again this summer, Meyer responded by saying, “I’m not going to Notre Dame. Ever.”

I believe him, for now.

Meyer is the best in the biz and may be the only coach capable of turning around the Irish quickly.But Notre Dame won’t want to wait until after the Gators’ season ends, likely after the January 7 National Championship Game.

So I’ll pass.

Brian Kelly +150

This is my guy.

His comments to the local media included, “Right now, I have no plans to leave.”

What about in December, after Cincinnati earns a second-straight BCS berth, but gets left out of the championship game? Will you be ready to leave then?

I could definitely see him heading for Notre Dame before the Bearcats’ bowl game. He did it at Central Michigan.

Plus, ESPN’s Mel Kiper says Kelly to Notre Dame is a done deal. I agree.

Bob Stoops +2000

Some reports have Stoops as the lead candidate, although he has adamantly denied any interest in the Irish.

The feeling among Sooner fans is that Stoops has lost a little bit of his edge. “Big-game Bob” used to out-coach opponents with trick plays and in-game strategy. Now, he’s the one getting out-coached.

He almost looks burnt out. Losing your Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback and All-American tight end in one season will do that to you.

The Sooners have a difficult closing stretch, with Saturday’s game at Texas Tech and a home date with Oklahoma State.

It’s possible the program has peaked under Stoops, and you can bet he knows it if it has. If the Sooners were to lose to Oklahoma State in Norman to end the season, the grumblings would intensify. It’s enough to make me want to take a stab at 20/1.

Jim Harbaugh +300

Next week’s Notre Dame-Stanford game is basically a live audition for Harbaugh. It could be the first interview ever in which the candidate wins by blasting the prospective employer.

In the long run, I see Harbaugh jumping to the NFL, with his brother. Notre Dame isn’t the best springboard for that jump.

I’ll pass in hopes that he remains at Stanford and continues to irk Pete Carroll, who reportedly asked Harbaugh, “What’s your deal?” during last week’s post-game handshake. Harbaugh’s response: “What’s your deal?”

Chip Kelly +500

This one came out of left field.

I haven’t seen any media reports of Kelly even being considered as a candidate.

Plus, I’m not sold on him as a head coach.

The Ducks have met expectations this season, not exceeded them.

I’m offering Kelly at 30/1, if anyone is interested.

Kirk Ferentz +1000

Touchdown Jesus is probably praying for this not to happen. Hiring the veteran Iowa coach would lack the splash the Irish need with this hire.

Ferentz is a solid coach, but Notre Dame needs a program-changer. I don’t believe Ferentz is it.