meoveryouxinfinity
11/10/2009, 08:36 AM
www.soonersports.com

Boomer.....
11/10/2009, 08:37 AM
Unfreakinbelievable!

EnragedOUfan
11/10/2009, 08:47 AM
No one pulled out the voodoo doll. Its not coincedence that we are the most injury prone team in college football. I can't think of any other team in college football that has consistently sustained the amount of injured players as our Sooners have. I am going off the top of my head here so I'm sure someone can throw up some stats, but it seems that we constantly have players getting injured, whether its accidental or stupid (AD diving in the endzone against Iowa State). Me personally, I think there is a certain drill or a high amount of reps for that certain drill in practice that puts our players at a higher risk for injury. The amount of injuries we have is ridiculous and I feel for the players (and there ACL's). If Stoops was smart, he would investigate into this matter. Just my opinion..........BOOMER!

beer4me
11/10/2009, 08:52 AM
No one pulled out the voodoo doll. Its not coincedence that we are the most injury prone team in college football. I can't think of any other team in college football that has consistently sustained the amount of injured players as our Sooners have. I am going off the top of my head here so I'm sure someone can throw up some stats, but it seems that we constantly have players getting injured, whether its accidental or stupid (AD diving in the endzone against Iowa State). Me personally, I think there is a certain drill or a high amount of reps for that certain drill in practice that puts our players at a higher risk for injury. The amount of injuries we have is ridiculous and I feel for the players (and there ACL's). If Stoops was smart, he would investigate into this matter. Just my opinion..........BOOMER!

Along that same line it seems to me that OU players also end up with a lot of injuries when they go to the NFL also....go figure

sooneron
11/10/2009, 09:48 AM
This didn't belong in the English/Eldridge thread a few spots down?

Oldnslo
11/10/2009, 10:01 AM

dude, AD didn't dive. Check the tape.

One of the things that you may remember from the 2000 championship year is that we had almost 0 injuries.

adoniijahsooner
11/10/2009, 10:46 AM
Schmidty

yermom
11/10/2009, 10:47 AM
AD dove, but he was avoiding being tackled

it's like they aren't waiting to get to the NFL anymore :(

King Barry's Back
11/10/2009, 10:49 AM
AD dove, but he was avoiding being tackled

it's like they aren't waiting to get to the NFL anymore :(

Maybe he was afraid that if he got tackled, he would get hurt?

47straight
11/10/2009, 11:03 AM
Along that same line it seems to me that OU players also end up with a lot of injuries when they go to the NFL also....go figure

All players end up with a lot of injuries when they go to the NFL.

westbrooke
11/10/2009, 11:37 AM
All players end up with a lot of injuries when they go to the NFL.

Yeah, this feels like the world is against us, but I'm not sure the quantity of injuries we've had is unique. What is unique is the quality of injuries. No one else has had as many of their most important players get injured this year. It's a curse we've been lucky to mostly avoid until this year (with notable exceptions like AD and White). This really sucks.

Same goes for the NFL. I can't find stats on injuries sorted by college, but I think there's a selection bias at work: we notice the OU players who get injured because we're more likely to be paying attention to those players. It would be a time-consuming analysis to track injuries and frequencies over the last 10 years and then normalize by the number of players per school actually in the NFL (eg Miami is likely to have more injuries simply because they put such a large number of players in the league). Until someone runs those numbers, though, I tend to believe our injury numbers are not grossly out of proportion to the league at large.

Cinco Ranch Cougar
11/10/2009, 11:40 AM
DO we hit in Practice??
The NFL has very limited contact in practices. I was at the Texans this summer and they were working out in shoulder pads and helmets only. I asked and was told that full contact is not allowed, only on game day.
Why not do the same at the collegiate level?
Just a thought.

11/10/2009, 11:51 AM
Schmidty

One has to believe his days are numbered. Outside of the constant injuries, which may or may not be attributed to him, he is an embarrassment to the University. His constant trash talk to opposing players and making players eat vomit are a disgrace.

goingoneight
11/10/2009, 11:56 AM
One has to believe his days are numbered. Outside of the constant injuries, which may or may not be attributed to him, he is an embarrassment to the University. His constant trash talk to opposing players and making players eat vomit are a disgrace.

One has to believe you're an idiot. Schmiddy is a BIG part of the reason OUr guys are typically bigger, faster and stronger than their opposition. An he has two MNC rings, so no... he's not on his way out.

BoulderSooner79
11/10/2009, 12:01 PM
Major bummer for these senior players. I think both would get a look for late round picks if they finished the year well and had good combines. I hope they heal and can at least be ready for the combines.

sooneron
11/10/2009, 12:06 PM
DO we hit in Practice??
The NFL has very limited contact in practices. I was at the Texans this summer and they were working out in shoulder pads and helmets only. I asked and was told that full contact is not allowed, only on game day.
Just a thought.

Probably because college kids still need to work on fundamentals like tackling and wrapping up. I would be willing to bet that most pros don't need to focus on fundamentals nearly as often.

goingoneight
11/10/2009, 12:12 PM
I would hope you don't have to teach a guy you're forking out millions to to do that stuff.

11/10/2009, 01:01 PM
One has to believe you're an idiot. Schmiddy is a BIG part of the reason OUr guys are typically bigger, faster and stronger than their opposition. An he has two MNC rings, so no... he's not on his way out.

I appreciate you being rude. I am Horn fan who actually respects OU. I like Coach Stoops and think the world of Coach Venables. However, "Schmiddy" acts like a complete jerk on the field and I feel that people on the OU sideline should act more professionally. This year, you have not been faster or stronger than half of your opponents. Blame injuries if you want, but in the end, who does that fall on also? Two years ago the Yankees starting pitchers kept getting injured and their S and C coach was gone by mid-season. I am not blaming it all on him, but if blame will fall, it will fall on his shoulders.

westbrooke
11/10/2009, 01:06 PM
I appreciate you being rude. I am Horn fan who actually respects OU. I like Coach Stoops and think the world of Coach Venables. However, "Schmiddy" acts like a complete jerk on the field and I feel that people on the OU sideline should act more professionally. This year, you have not been faster or stronger than half of your opponents. Blame injuries if you want, but in the end, who does that fall on also? Two years ago the Yankees starting pitchers kept getting injured and their S and C coach was gone by mid-season. I am not blaming it all on him, but if blame will fall, it will fall on his shoulders.

Fair enough. But don't look now: soon Muschamp won't just be your DC, he'll be the face of the program. Great coach. Totally insane.

11/10/2009, 01:10 PM
Fair enough. But don't look now: soon Muschamp won't just be your DC, he'll be the face of the program. Great coach. Totally insane.

No, no. I love it when coaches get fired up for their own players' sake. Mike did it and Brent does it. That is not what I am talking about with the S and C coach. He goes out of his way to run up to kids and talk trash to them. I believe what Muschamp, Venables, and Stoops do is great!

Sooner98
11/10/2009, 01:13 PM
Stoops just said in his press conference that Jarvis Jones is also out for the season.

beer4me
11/10/2009, 01:16 PM
Stoops just said in his press conference that Jarvis Jones is also out for the season.

Well eff me this keeps up there won't be enough players left to field a team :mad:

westbrooke
11/10/2009, 01:19 PM
Beautiful. At this rate, we're going to have to pull Drew Allen's redshirt... so he can play on the line.

badger
11/10/2009, 01:23 PM
Goodbye to Jarvis Jones. Link here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20091110_92_0_Oklaho862718)

OU4LIFE
11/10/2009, 02:37 PM
jesus......Jones now too....

wow, this is just incredible.

CU Sooner
11/10/2009, 02:45 PM
DO we hit in Practice??
Just a thought.

I thnk we see how well that is working for them, look at all the playoff appearances they have made.:O

soonerlaw
11/10/2009, 03:03 PM
jones fractured his heel during the nebbish game. brody an ac sprain on his shoulder.... damn, that must have been a physical game.

badger
11/10/2009, 03:22 PM
More from the (de)presser from Stoops here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20091110_92_0_Oklaho862718)

IronHorseSooner
11/10/2009, 03:24 PM
Let's see:

Sam, Gresham, Broyles, Murray, Eldridge, J. Jones, English, Granger, Wort, Simmons, and Habern have missed, or will miss, at least one game due to injury, not to mention that T-Will and Clapp have been playing injured. Also, throw in Jeffries missing time due to unfortunate circumstances, and this is what we have. That's 11 guys injured, 2 playing injured, and another who had to miss some more time. That's not even counting the other guys who have been underperforming (Good, Brandon, (insert PK here), Kenney, Tennell). Gees, I don't know if there's a staff in America who could handle this. One thing's for sure, we should have no excuse next year about guys who have seen limited action.

I would expect to see next week's line as"

LT: T-Will
LG: Jeffries
C: Habern
RG: Good
LG: Brandon

I would expect that Lepak, Evans, and Stephenson would get some meaningful snaps. The staff really likes all of them.

yermom
11/10/2009, 03:29 PM
jesus......Jones now too....

wow, this is just incredible.

right here right now

TMcGee86
11/10/2009, 03:41 PM
well, one things for sure, there shouldn't be anyone on this team next year without some experience, short of redshirts and true freshmen.

Okie35
11/10/2009, 03:43 PM
Out for the Season
OT Jarvis Jones*
FB/TE/OC/OG Brody Eldridge*
DE Auston English*
QB Sam Bradford*
TE Jermaine Gresham*
OG Brian Simmons (so far)*
LB Tom Wort
DT DeMarcus Granger

Missed Games
RB DeMarco Murray*
WR Ryan Broyles*
WR Brandon Caleb*
S Quinton Carter*
OG Tyler Evans
C Ben Habern*

Miscellaneous Absences
OG Tavaris Jeffries (suspension, family emergency)
LB Mike Balogun (NCAA bull****)

http://cdn1.knowyourmeme.com/i/6527/original/john_stewart_facepalm.jpg

badger
11/10/2009, 03:53 PM
Is it too late to get the "FREE MIKE B" campaign started again? I mean, it's not like he lied to the NCAA or anything :(

SunnySooner
11/10/2009, 04:34 PM
BREAKING NEWS FROM NORMAN...

(AP) Norman, OK, November 10, 2009, 3:20 CST...

Head Coach Bob Stoops announced today that the entire Sooner football team is injured and out for the season. In an attempt to avoid forfeiting the remaining games, Coaches Stoops, Wilson and Venables have drafted players from the school's rugby, soccer, baseball and track teams. "It's going pretty well so far," Stoops reported.

"Yeah, once we got the rugby guys to stop biting, scratching, kicking and eye gouging, the lines started to gel. Of course, we told them that was fine to do in games, just don't get caught," Wilson added.

Players from the baseball team seemed a natural fit in the wide receiving corps. "The outfielders particularly showed some great catching skills, especially after we convinced them to leave their mitts on the sidelines," said Venables, who also hopes to use these same players as defensive backs.

Also showing promise were members of the track team. Coach Wilson said many were natural born running backs, and that they had made great strides in breaking their habit of handing off the football to their nearest teammate at the 10 yard line, and stopping. "Once we were able to get em all the way in the end zone, without handing off or turning around and running back the other direction, things really started to click."

Stoops said the soccer players will take over kicking duties, of course, and also see some rotation in various other roles. "I feel very confident in their abilities now that we've trained them to keep their helmets on and stop trying to headbutt the ball. Some of them learned the hard way that doing that to a football is not a good idea, but I'm sure that one kid's eye will be fine in a week or two."

Starting gun/faceoff/kickoff against the Aggies of Texas A&M will be at 6:00 p.m. CST in Norman.

beer4me
11/10/2009, 04:46 PM
BREAKING NEWS FROM NORMAN...

(AP) Norman, OK, November 10, 2009, 3:20 CST...

"Yeah, once we got the rugby guys to stop eye gouging,

I know one school that, that is not considered a big deal :D

freshchris05
11/10/2009, 07:20 PM
right here right now

haha... Sucks Jones is out but that's Gold...

http://geordierussell.instone.net/Jukebox/Img/J/Jesus%20Jones%20Info%20Freako.jpg

King Barry's Back
11/11/2009, 07:52 PM
DO we hit in Practice??
Just a thought.

This is exactly what John Blake tried, at least with a handful of key players, and he was widely ridiculed on boards like this for not having his players prepared to take hits, or what have you.

Honestly, it's all a crap shoot. You let a kid take some hits, he may be lost for the year. You hold him out, he doesn't get hurt, but he might not play as well.

A tough decision, but since ALL college coaches require their players to go full out for some of their practice time, I am going to say we probably should, to.

tulsaoilerfan
11/11/2009, 09:26 PM
Injuries always happen in football and we have been incredibly lucky up until this season to have so few of them; if you go back and look at Switzer's 85 NC team, they lost a starter almost every week to injury, but the difference was they had more talented players to back them up and a far easier schedule so it really didn't affect them that much