PDA

View Full Version : The Alexander penalty

BoulderSooner79
11/9/2009, 03:50 PM
Did anyone see what happened when F. Alexander was flagged for the personal foul? Just curious. The PF that was called on our O-line guy for the late hit on Suh was totally bogus. He gave Suh a little patty-cake push after the whistle and Suh just raised his arms requesting a flag. Ticky-tack at best. Fortunately, Landry bailed us out of that one with his best pass of the night to D. Miller and got us the first down.

rawlingsHOH
11/9/2009, 04:01 PM
Did anyone see what happened when F. Alexander was flagged for the personal foul? Just curious. The PF that was called on our O-line guy for the late hit on Suh was totally bogus. He gave Suh a little patty-cake push after the whistle and Suh just raised his arms requesting a flag. Ticky-tack at best. Fortunately, Landry bailed us out of that one with his best pass of the night to D. Miller and got us the first down.

Yep

redhawk49
11/9/2009, 04:32 PM
Personal insult: OU is one of three teams in the Football Bowl Subdivision with over 700 yards in penalties, joining Texas Tech and Arizona State. Three personal fouls made up the bulk of the Sooners' 64 yards in infractions Saturday night. One was whistled against defensive end Frank Alexander, and it helped Nebraska in its third-quarter drive to a field goal.

Sunday, however, defensive coordinator Brent Venables took issue with the call.

"He was protecting himself," Venables said. "The guy (who Alexander hit to get the penalty) was coming to block him after the ball was out of bounds. He actually was looking at the ball and felt the guy coming from his blind side and actually just pushed off to protect himself. It happens."

From the Tulsa World.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20091109_92_B6_Eldrid9534

Funky G
11/9/2009, 04:48 PM
You don't get those calls on the road...however, we have been hammered by penalties all year, some deserved some not..

BoulderSooner79
11/9/2009, 04:56 PM
That sounds like the PF from the Arkie/gator game that got the ref crew suspended for a game. A coach risks a reprimand from the league commenting on the officials, so I'm going to assume BV was correct or he wouldn't have stuck his neck out. That makes 2 of the 3 PF penalties incorrect. I'm not saying the refs cost us the game - I was just curious about the call since the one I saw on Suh was bogus. I never saw the Alexander incident.

As far as the game, we lost fair and square. It's too bad we don't have a backup QB to try. By the middle of the third, I was convinced we couldn't score a TD if we played all night. And since our drives were stalling around the 30 instead of the 20, we couldn't kick a FG either. By that time, it had gotten into Landry's head and there was no more positive learning to be had. Leaving him out there could only hurt his confidence and it was the perfect situation to try a backup QB to get a spark. But I understand not wanting to burn a red-shirt.

VA Sooner
11/9/2009, 08:52 PM
The Alexander call was bogus.

Suh is a wuss for raising his hands up as if the push was that much of an in fraction.

AlbqSooner
11/9/2009, 09:22 PM
The penalties didn't cost us the game, but what pizzed me was that ABC did not show them. Rather, they scanned the stands looking at fans and simply reported that the penalty had been called. I kept wondering how bad the penalty calls were if they weren't showing them on replay.

Leroy Lizard
11/9/2009, 09:35 PM
A coach risks a reprimand from the league commenting on the officials, so I'm going to assume BV was correct or he wouldn't have stuck his neck out.

He didn't criticize the refs.

ouwapiti
11/10/2009, 09:19 AM
albq......ABC almost NEVER shows critical penalty replays

King Barry's Back
11/10/2009, 11:04 AM
albq......ABC almost NEVER shows critical penalty replays

Well, hell, they should. They are televising an event of great interest to many, and during the lull in play following a called penalty -- that called penalty is the most freaking important thing at that moment.

I'm just getting p'd at the world over this craptacular season.

****. ANd to think back in August the biggest fear I had was having to stew over another bowl loss for 7 months.

BoulderSooner79
11/10/2009, 11:50 AM
He didn't criticize the refs.

No he didn't, but coaches don't usually even make any references to penalties because it is walking the line. Just saying that Alexander was only protecting himself against a late block *implies* the ref got it wrong. BV clearly wanted to make sure Alexander didn't take any heat for the flag and it's hard to do this (publicly) w/o getting some attention from the conference.

Harry Beanbag
11/10/2009, 11:59 AM
The penalties didn't cost us the game, but what pizzed me was that ABC did not show them. Rather, they scanned the stands looking at fans and simply reported that the penalty had been called. I kept wondering how bad the penalty calls were if they weren't showing them on replay.

They did show the one on Jarvis Jones once. The Alexander one will forever be a mystery though.

goingoneight
11/10/2009, 12:56 PM
I don't know about you all... but I'd rather lose a BCS game than go through this crap.

But I'm sure there will be MASS CELEBRATION when we win the Independence Bowl.

BoulderSooner79
11/10/2009, 01:17 PM
Our chances of playing in a BCS bowl went out the window when Sam hit the turf against BYU. At that point, we officially were in rebuilding mode across the board on offense. The definition of success in a rebuilding year is that the team and especially the players returning next year, improve as the year goes on. Getting to a bowl and winning it is a great positive ending to an otherwise disappointing year. So yes, I'll celebrate any bowl win as I see no point in lamenting the lack of BCS chance forever. My fear right now is I don't see the rate of improvement I would expect this late in the season and anybody could beat us in any bowl if the offense plays the way they did in Lincoln. (And you need 6 wins to get to a bowl:eek:)