PDA

View Full Version : Game Day Experience

TexasSoonerdad
11/9/2009, 12:31 PM
Just wanted to see what everyone thinks about the effort and time it takes to attend a college football game these days. I will use our Nebraska experience as an example.

We left Omaha about 3:30 and arrived in lincoln at 4:30. Found somewhere to park and payed 15.00. We walked approx. 1/2 mile to the stadium. We waited till 5:30 to get our tickets and entered the stadium. We all know how the game went so I will skip that part. After the game, when we finally got out of the stadium, we were stuck in the cattle chute over the train tracks with the rest of the the thousands of fans. We finally make it to our car and waited in traffic for approx. one hour to get to the interstate. We drive 25 mph for about 50 miles back to Omaha. Arrive at hotel at 1:30. We got up Sunday morning and drove 12 hours back home. Arrived home at 11:30 PM.

We love our Sooners and will continue to make every game. To be sure, this is not a complaint post. We feel very fortunate to be able to make our trips to the games. I guess with all of the driving time it just really set in that it really is a long drawn out experience. All be it a great one. Boomer Sooner.

I really would enjoy your' thoughts.

Sooner24
11/9/2009, 12:40 PM
Why did you stay in Omaha if you were driving?

Drove to Lincoln, Friday, and arrived at The Embassy Suites around 4:30. Checked in and went to Mistys for dinner. Went back to the hotel and spent the evening checking out Lincoln. Got up Saturday morning and walked down to the stadium and picked up some programs. Had breakfast at The Embassy Suites. Walked over to the Huskerpedia tailgate around 2;00 and pretty much stayed there until 5:30. Walked back to the hotel got my jacket and tickets and headed to the stadium. After the game walked back to the hotel and stayed there. Got up yesterday morning and drove home.

StoopTroup
11/9/2009, 12:45 PM
I really would enjoy your' thoughts.

Been there...done that.

Glad to see you had a safe journey.

NormanPride
11/9/2009, 12:48 PM

Drove to Lincoln, Friday, and arrived at The Embassy Suites around 4:30. Checked in and went to Mistys for dinner. Went back to the hotel and spent the evening checking out Lincoln. Got up Saturday morning and walked down to the stadium and picked up some programs. Had breakfast at The Embassy Suites. Walked over to the Huskerpedia tailgate around 2;00 and pretty much stayed there until 5:30. Walked back to the hotel got my jacket and tickets and headed to the stadium. After the game walked back to the hotel and stayed there. Got up yesterday morning and drove home.

I don't know about them, but we stayed with the team and they stayed in Omaha. We had a bus drive us to and from the game, which was nice.

It was a quiet bus ride back.

Huskernsooner71
11/9/2009, 12:49 PM
My wife and I drove to Wichita from Sand Springs on Friday night. We got up around 9am, drove 5 hours from Wichita, KS. We parked around 1pm and then went to the Huskerpedia Tailgate until about 5:30. After the game, I knocked down a 5 hour energy shot and preceded to drive back to Wichita arriving at about 3:15 in the morning. We finished the 2.5 hour drive back to Sand Springs on Sunday morning.

Sooner24, good to meet you at the Huskerpedia Tailgate. It was a lot of fun!

StoopTroup
11/9/2009, 12:51 PM
My wife and I drove to Wichita from Sand Springs on Friday night. We got up around 9am, drove 5 hours from Wichita, KS. We parked around 1pm and then went to the Huskerpedia Tailgate until about 5:30. After the game, I knocked down a 5 hour energy shot and preceded to drive back to Wichita arriving at about 3:15 in the morning. We finished the 2.5 hour drive back to Sand Springs on Sunday morning.

5 hour Energy Shot > Redbull?

Sooner24
11/9/2009, 12:51 PM

It was nice meeting you and your wife also. I too had a good time at the Huskerpedia tailgate.

TexasSoonerdad
11/9/2009, 01:37 PM

Sounds pretty good. Lol. We had a free suite in Omaha.

Sooner24
11/9/2009, 02:01 PM
Sounds pretty good. Lol. We had a free suite in Omaha.

I had free a free room at The Embassy Suites! :D

yermom
11/9/2009, 02:26 PM
Friday 1200: reserved hotel in Lincoln from hotels.com ~$211 for 2 nights, hit the road. at some point a Runza was consumed. this isn't really advisable.

Friday 2100: arrive at hotel. no reservation. rooms available. $165 for 2 nights. cancelled hotels.com reservation. nice hotel front desk person gripes out the hotels.com person that calls and lies about me not having my reservation number. told them to give me my money back :D

Saturday 0900: hotel breakfast kinda lame, walk to Perkins. French Toast FTW. watched rest of Gameday. back to sleep.

Saturday 1500: Taco Johns (why was i not informed of Huskerpedia Tailgate?)

Saturday 1700: head to stadium, wander aimlessly looking for parking.

Saturday 1730: parked at 11th and E Street ~1.7 miles from stadium. about the same distance as the hotel, apparently. started trek to stadium. realized we should have been hanging out downtown a few hours ago.

Saturday 1800: entered stadium at the wrong gate, had to walk on the field to get to section. this was kinda cool.

Saturday 1900: kickoff, yadda yadda yadda.

Saturday 2300: we kinda jumped railings and walked down the bleachers to avoid crowds, we walked far enough and long enough, that traffic wasn't too bad or hard to avoid. found Burger King.

Sunday 1000: Lincoln McDonalds. one person running counter. friendly local suggests that there should be plenty of Mexicans around to work. not sure what the problem is.

Sunday 1800: finally home. slept through Cowboys beating the Eagles.

OKLA21FAN
11/9/2009, 02:37 PM
Saturday 1800: entered stadium at the wrong gate, had to walk on the field to get to section. this was kinda cool.

Saturday 1805: Had to seek assistance from first aid (5 stitches) from stabbing injury by NU 'yell Leader

fixed it for ya
:pop:

yermom
11/9/2009, 03:03 PM
:D

Phil
11/9/2009, 03:09 PM
We left Omaha about 3:30 and arrived in lincoln at 4:30. Found somewhere to park and payed 15.00. We walked approx. 1/2 mile to the stadium. We waited till 5:30 to get our tickets and entered the stadium. We all know how the game went so I will skip that part. After the game, when we finally got out of the stadium, we were stuck in the cattle chute over the train tracks with the rest of the the thousands of fans. We finally make it to our car and waited in traffic for approx. one hour to get to the interstate. We drive 25 mph for about 50 miles back to Omaha. Arrive at hotel at 1:30. We got up Sunday morning and drove 12 hours back home. Arrived home at 11:30 PM.

Dude. By the time you made it to your hotel in Omaha, I was at my house in OKC. Seriously. Home 3 hours after the game was over. Watched the team plane on final approach as I drove north on Meridian from the airport. The charter is definitely the way to go.

BoomerSoonerGoOU
11/9/2009, 03:52 PM
1:00 PM Friday: Departed Norman.
8:00 PM Friday: Arrived in the "5th Best Place to Start Over." AKA Omaha. Grubbed in Old Market.
10:30 PM Friday: Arrive Hotel
11:00 PM Friday: Went out to a bar

12:00 PM Saturday: Departed Omaha for Lincoln
12:40 PM Saturday: Arrived in Lincoln
1:00 PM Saturday: Checked out O Street and Nebraska's campus (not very impressive) and ate a Runza.
7:00 PM Saturday: Game
11:30 PM Saturday: Departed Lincoln for Omaha

1:15 AM Sunday: Arrived Hotel
10:30 AM Sunday: Departed Omaha
7:00 PM Sunday: Arrived in Norman

Huskernsooner71
11/9/2009, 03:54 PM
5 hour Energy Shot > Redbull?

Those 5 hour shots are amazing but I'm sure they cant be good for you. Last year my wife and I drove to the Nebraska Clemson game in Jacksonville. On the way back from Orlando after leaving Universal, I drove 20 hours straight on 3 of those 5 hour energy shots spaced 5 hours apart. We drove from Orlando to Tulsa in 1 day. I drink a lot of redbull and vodkas and Jagerbombs but the 5 hour energy shots are the way to go!

yermom
11/9/2009, 03:59 PM
i'm pretty partial to sleep, myself ;)

Funky G
11/9/2009, 04:46 PM
Left Dallas Friday morning at 10:30AM. Got home Sunday at 4:30PM. Had free SW Air vouchers so the wait was worth the cost ;) Only complaint I have with the stadium is that it takes forever to get up and down to the visitors sections and all restrooms are on the ground floor. A bit antiquated. Went out in Lincoln Friday night, not much happening. Waited around all day Saturday for the game - see Friday night. I have been to Lincoln twice. Of all the Big 12 venues it's right there with Baylor and Iowa St. If you've never been it's worth a trip, but not a must see. Went to KU this year and had a blast, nice folks, good tailgating, easy in and out of the stadium, and pretty town..

thesnowbishop
11/9/2009, 06:29 PM
Friday 1200: reserved hotel in Lincoln from hotels.com ~$211 for 2 nights, hit the road. at some point a Runza was consumed. this isn't really advisable.

I think I may be to blame for the loss. I consumed 2 frozen (old frozen) runzas during the game from the confines of the lazy boy. That cabbage just don't quit. Fresh, homemade runzas are much better.

MrJimBeam
11/10/2009, 06:55 AM
Arrived in Lincoln around 6.30 on Friday. Lazlo's Brewery was within crawling distance so we headed there. Drank some beer, ate a couple steaks, drank several more beer. Hooked up with other Sooners and drank more beer, with lemon drop shots. Closed down brewery so went for a walk to find another bar. We located another bar about half a mile down the road, sooooo.......more shots and beer. We closed that place down and crawled back to the room. We got around about 11am, ran a bar of soap across our cracks and headed downtown. Found a perfect parking garage for $15, headed through campus to downtown. Walked around for about an hour till we finally went in BWW. Too crowded so kept walking till we found Brothers. We drank and watched FB till about 5pm then headed to the stadium. Suffered game. Got back to hotel around midnight. Ate breakfast at Greenfields. Got back to Tulsa about 3.30.

Lincoln was okay. The Runza and pizza at the stadium were ***. Hotdog was good though. I think with all the hype of a gameday in Corn I was a little let down. The actual gametime experience was great, pregame...meh. I'll go back.