PDA

View Full Version : Is Landry as good as Sam as a freshman?

TMcGee86
11/9/2009, 11:28 AM
Better yet is this Oline as good as Sam's was two years ago?

Obviously the answer is a resounding no.

SO SOME ONE PLEASE TELL ME WHY THE **** KEVIN WILSON RUNS THE NO HUDDLE WITH THIS TEAM WHEN HE DIDN'T DO IT WHEN SAM WAS A FRESHMAN?????

There is only one answer and that is arrogance. It's the same reason he couldn't accept the fact that this line was as bad as it is.

I think KW has cost us at least 2 games this year with his refusal to accept that this team needs to be treated differently than last years team.

Collier11
11/9/2009, 11:33 AM
I would say if going off of a number scale and all things equal with the Oline Sam was a 95 and Landry is about a 90. Now, throw in the far inferior Oline for Landry and that changes it to about a 85 which still isnt bad for a freshman

Okie35
11/9/2009, 11:38 AM
I think KW has cost us at least 2 games this year with his refusal to accept that this team needs to be treated differently than last years team.

I totally agree w/ this. He needs to work w/ the offensive strengths. That KU and Kstate game he did. He had a heavy dose of Broyles. If you can't hit him deep throw a quick pass like against Kstate and let him get the yards on his own. Oh well what is done is done.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/9/2009, 11:52 AM
SO SOME ONE PLEASE TELL ME WHY THE **** KEVIN WILSON RUNS THE NO HUDDLE WITH THIS TEAM WHEN HE DIDN'T DO IT WHEN SAM WAS A FRESHMAN?????

Apples and oranges.

For starters, this no huddle isn't your father's no huddle. There is ZERO emphasis on the QB to make a pre-snap read. NONE. The extent of the QB's contribution to the execution of this brand of no huddle is in the delivery of the play change to the front five, knowing the primary read of the new play call and knowing where the second and third looks will be, just like he'd have to with the initial play call.

In fact, the no huddle we run HELPS a quarterback in removing a lot of the responsibilities in the pre-snap read and putting it on the OC. That way you don't have to have a Josh Heupel under center. Now the play change comes in from the OC and the extent of the pre-snap read is in how the coverage will affect the execution of the primary look, location of the secondary, and any pre-snap read route option changes (which I'm 99.99999% sure we don't use because of the no huddle, which AGAIN puts that read on the OC instead of the wideout).

In other words, while you guys bellyache about prairie dogging and our offense sucking goat nuts, it's actually giving us a chance to execute by making it a ton easier on the skill positions to execute the game between their ears so they can concentrate on the game between the sidelines. Without this, with all the negatives we've had stacked against us this season, could you imagine our redshirt freshman QB trying to audible out of a look or our WRs executing route coverage options, all under pressure from a stop-gap offensive front, and not look even worse than what we already do?

Please.

westbrooke
11/9/2009, 12:08 PM

There is only one answer and that is arrogance. It's the same reason he couldn't accept the fact that this line was as bad as it is.

The answer to your first question is obscured by the answer to the second. The O-line is definitely not as good (nor are the receivers), which makes comparing 07 Sam to 09 Landry an apples-to-oranges comparison. Still, I think most of us would agree that Sam was probably better. That hardly makes Landry a lobotomy case.

But that's when this argument jumps the tracks. Your third question definitely has more than one answer and I'm not convinced the one you provided is the correct one. Put simply, KW didn't use the no-huddle in 2007 because he hadn't seen it yet. While the no-huddle is certainly not a new concept, it wasn't until after facing Missouri's no-huddle that year that the staff decided that they like the competitive advantage it offered. A year of experience for Sam certainly helped them believe it could be implemented, but that's a quirk of coincidence as much as it is an actual reason for the switch.

I also think KW has treated this team differently, and Okie35's post points out a simple example even as he jumps on your bandwagon. Yes we targeted Broyles more starting with the KU game. Guess what? We were still targeting him in the Nebraska game. He caught 8 balls (11 in the KU game), and had more opportunities that just didn't pan out as a general symptom of the disarray. Nebraska's D-line is sick, and they were moving Landry around constantly, even when they weren't sacking or hitting him.

To be clear, I absolutely do not believe that KW is unassailable. But this is knee-jerk stuff.

westbrooke
11/9/2009, 12:09 PM
Hahaha, Tulsa_Fireman beat me to the "apples and oranges" thing! Well done, sir.

tanjou
11/9/2009, 12:19 PM
lol it's not a big deal. No need to change anything. Ever.

http://newsok.com/ou-football-notebook/article/3415806

"I don’t think that was the really critical part of our game. It was just one of many mistakes that we made,” Wilson said. "He’s just a kid that misread a signal. Wasn’t that big a deal.”

rawlingsHOH
11/9/2009, 12:40 PM
Bradford barely got TOUCHED his freshman year (until the WVU game). No one knows how well Jones would have performed on that team. Not even worth thinking about.

cvsooner
11/9/2009, 12:54 PM
Typical misinterpretation. What Wilson is saying is the last interception wasn't "the really critical part of our game." It was indeed "just one of many mistakes that we made." He's also not dumping responsibility upon a freshman QB who had a bad night. "He's just a kid that misread a signal. Wasn't that big of a deal." As in...he's learning. He made a mistake. Everybody did. Learn from it, move on, don't make that mistake again.

This coaching staff has had to deal with an unbelievable number of injuries, inexperience and ineptitude. I cannot believe, based on the success of this coaching staff, that somehow they've become bad coaches all of a sudden. I know we're not supposed to bag on the players, since they are just kids, after all, but c'mon...do you honestly think the coaches don't work with these kids on a daily basis and know what they can and cannot do? I'm sure they've seen things in practice that give them a better idea of capabilities than we'll ever know.

At some point...and I can say this as a coach and as someone who has worked with performing artist-types...practice is one thing, the game/performance is another. Sometime's you're very pleasantly surprised. Sometimes you're not.

I think we've got some players who have not turned out as well as expected. And this time it happened to be us. Every team in the U.S. has gone through this at some point...us included. We'll get through it and move on and things will improve. The 2005 season is a case in point...a "disappointing" 9-4 season with a Holiday Bowl win over the #5 team in the nation, followed by three straight Big 12 championships and one solid shot at national title, with two other serious possibilities. (If we had not been screwed royally at Oregon, we'd have been 12-1 going into the Bowl games...and I think we'd have had a shot at the MNC game.)

Man, as fans, we're so stinking spoiled.

DakotaSooner
11/9/2009, 02:34 PM
Apples and oranges.

Without this, with all the negatives we've had stacked against us this season, could you imagine our redshirt freshman QB trying to audible out of a look or our WRs executing route coverage options, all under pressure from a stop-gap offensive front, and not look even worse than what we already do?

Please.

So you are saying that against NU we would have had negative points if they actually huddled?

:O

TMcGee86
11/9/2009, 03:02 PM
Typical misinterpretation. What Wilson is saying is the last interception wasn't "the really critical part of our game." It was indeed "just one of many mistakes that we made." He's also not dumping responsibility upon a freshman QB who had a bad night. "He's just a kid that misread a signal. Wasn't that big of a deal." As in...he's learning. He made a mistake. Everybody did. Learn from it, move on, don't make that mistake again.

This coaching staff has had to deal with an unbelievable number of injuries, inexperience and ineptitude. I cannot believe, based on the success of this coaching staff, that somehow they've become bad coaches all of a sudden. I know we're not supposed to bag on the players, since they are just kids, after all, but c'mon...do you honestly think the coaches don't work with these kids on a daily basis and know what they can and cannot do? I'm sure they've seen things in practice that give them a better idea of capabilities than we'll ever know.

At some point...and I can say this as a coach and as someone who has worked with performing artist-types...practice is one thing, the game/performance is another. Sometime's you're very pleasantly surprised. Sometimes you're not.

I think we've got some players who have not turned out as well as expected. And this time it happened to be us. Every team in the U.S. has gone through this at some point...us included. We'll get through it and move on and things will improve. The 2005 season is a case in point...a "disappointing" 9-4 season with a Holiday Bowl win over the #5 team in the nation, followed by three straight Big 12 championships and one solid shot at national title, with two other serious possibilities. (If we had not been screwed royally at Oregon, we'd have been 12-1 going into the Bowl games...and I think we'd have had a shot at the MNC game.)

Man, as fans, we're so stinking spoiled.

overall I agree with what you are saying, and what most are saying in this thread.

The thing I don't like is that in 2005 we were coming off of two straight trips to the MNC game and we knew we were in for a long year, totally green QB, totally green OL, totally green WRs, and much of the defense was green.

This year, while it was mostly new starters, the line wasn't supposed to be five freshman coming in.

And yes, Gresham would have helped, but the fact that Bradford got hit too much and therefore knocked out of college, can't be used as an injury excuse, as it is directly related to having a horrible OL.

And seeing as how the OL isn't a bunch of freshman, I don't have the confidence I did in 05 that things would get better.

Right now I'm having trouble seeing light at the end of this tunnel. Maybe there are freshman we are going to play next year that will be better than the guys we have on the OL now, or maybe JC transfers will come in, but it's sort of just wishing for the sake of wishing, based on no real evidence that anything will get better.

I guess I'm just pissed. :mad:

mehip
11/9/2009, 03:21 PM
For me it is tough to compare the two as freshmen. I think having a receiver like Malcolm Kelly and a decent O line really helped Sam.

cvsooner
11/9/2009, 03:24 PM
Yeah, the regressions back to the BYU game level are sad. Wilson sounded dejected and depressed at least in the quotes I read after the game...making the same mistakes, making the same penalties, not finishing up blocks, etc., etc.

Seems like an epic fail at recruiting and/or development, at least at this point. Add on the dramatic injuries...has anybody on the offensive line been healthy all year? I know Williams, Brandon and Simmons all had playing time from last year...plus Eldridge and Gresham. I would have thought they would provide the experience and leadership necessary to bring along the younger cats.

But...Gresham out from before day one. Eldridge playing everywhere to pick up the slack of others. Simmons I think was playing okay but now out with injury. Williams and Brandon have been, to put it kindly, not only underperforming but at times the biggest problem on the field.

Now Eldridge is hurt. Add those line troubles to the receiving woes and suddenly bad field goal kicking, and whoomp...you've got four losses by a combined 12 points...an average of a field goal, each.

I sure hope Jones, Murray and Brown all have insurance policies. They may need it against the next four games. At least two of the games are at home...where we seem to be a little less schizophrenic. The 2007 team wasn't all that good on the road, either...with wins at Tulsa and Texas and a narrow escape at Iowa State, plus the Big 12 championship the only bright spots on the road that season.

westbrooke
11/9/2009, 03:27 PM
Right now I'm having trouble seeing light at the end of this tunnel. Maybe there are freshman we are going to play next year that will be better than the guys we have on the OL now, or maybe JC transfers will come in, but it's sort of just wishing for the sake of wishing, based on no real evidence that anything will get better.

I guess I'm just pissed. :mad:

I hear you, and I'm with you. For the expectations we had coming into this year, this is an incredibly frustrating season, even more so than 2005.

So let's have some light at the end of the tunnel: Think back to that 2005 and the receivers that were so green. Those were the same receivers that left as badasses last year. Broyles is already ahead of where any of those receivers were that year (and remember that Kelly didn't start until late in the year due to injuries).

At that time, ENA was so flustered we moved him to receiver and it took the full year before Bomar was the reason we might win a game instead of the reason we'd definitely lose it if we had to rely on his arm. Landry can definitely lose a game, as we saw, but he's already a bigger part of the solution than Bomar was. Landry will have to win this job outright in the spring, and if he isn't starting for us next year, that probably means exponential growth by Drew Allen or Blake Bell is the second coming of Bradford.

I'd take this year's D in a heartbeat over the 05 D, and we're still going to be strong next year.

The OL can't be as bad next year because... they just can't.

On top of all of that, these guys are going to go through another spring and fall, but this time with a better understanding of what will be expected of them. Landry or whoever replaces him will get first team reps instead of sitting behind a Heisman winner. We're going to throw to our TE until one of them can catch it instead of assuming we have a mythical Gresham-beast stalking the middle of the field. Plus, we're going to have Darius White to throw to.

Maybe that's not the evidence that we'd all like to see, but it's enough to keep me confident in our future.

TMcGee86
11/9/2009, 03:28 PM
listening to the SA it appears Traber agrees with me.

Now I really am going to be sick.

C&CDean
11/9/2009, 03:31 PM
If I ever said anything that Traber said I'd shoot myself in the ****ing face.

Maybe you oughta think harder before saying things?

TMcGee86
11/9/2009, 03:38 PM
yeah, not real proud of myself right now.

StoopTroup
11/9/2009, 03:44 PM
I hear you, and I'm with you. For the expectations we had coming into this year, this is an incredibly frustrating season, even more so than 2005.

So let's have some light at the end of the tunnel: Think back to that 2005 and the receivers that were so green. Those were the same receivers that left as badasses last year. Broyles is already ahead of where any of those receivers were that year (and remember that Kelly didn't start until late in the year due to injuries).

At that time, ENA was so flustered we moved him to receiver and it took the full year before Bomar was the reason we might win a game instead of the reason we'd definitely lose it if we had to rely on his arm. Landry can definitely lose a game, as we saw, but he's already a bigger part of the solution than Bomar was. Landry will have to win this job outright in the spring, and if he isn't starting for us next year, that probably means exponential growth by Drew Allen or Blake Bell is the second coming of Bradford.

I'd take this year's D in a heartbeat over the 05 D, and we're still going to be strong next year.

The OL can't be as bad next year because... they just can't.

On top of all of that, these guys are going to go through another spring and fall, but this time with a better understanding of what will be expected of them. Landry or whoever replaces him will get first team reps instead of sitting behind a Heisman winner. We're going to throw to our TE until one of them can catch it instead of assuming we have a mythical Gresham-beast stalking the middle of the field. Plus, we're going to have Darius White to throw to.

Maybe that's not the evidence that we'd all like to see, but it's enough to keep me confident in our future.

We might just get us some swagger back. Ours guys aren't used to losing...I bet they get it together fast.

stoopified
11/9/2009, 03:47 PM
No. He is better than Bonehead though.

madillsoonerfan5353
11/9/2009, 08:13 PM
I been saying since practice started, this O should of looked like the '07 O, because the O sucked with Sam at Jerry world! We should feed Murray, Brown and the others and get OUr passing looks off of play action! IMO

:pop:

PLaw
11/9/2009, 09:38 PM

Not fair to compare. Sam's frosh year there was actually a Div. 1 O-line in front of him. This year, I'm not so sure.

Boomer

I Am Right
11/9/2009, 10:00 PM
ah-No, however can landry kick?

Soonerborn03
11/9/2009, 10:06 PM
Bradford barely got TOUCHED his freshman year (until the WVU game).He got a concussion against Texas Tech that year and missed most of the game.

sooneron
11/9/2009, 10:58 PM
He got a concussion against Texas Tech that year and missed most of the game.

That was on a fumble that had been recovered by tt. Not due to pressure from the DL.

sozo
11/9/2009, 11:52 PM

Man, as fans, we're so stinking spoiled

Well put cv.