PDA

View Full Version : All you little kiddie-bops need to chill....

soonerboy_odanorth
11/8/2009, 11:47 PM
I know you have all been hung up on record-setting offenses and strings of Big XII championships year-after-year...

But the fact is even the best of programs need to catch their breath every once-in-a-while.

College football is very cyclical. That Texas is running on a decade of 10-win seasons should not alarm you. They do that. Then they run for 15 years with a whole bunch of nothing.

Our cycle is more compressed... 7-8 years of 10-win seasons, with 3-5 inexplicably underachieving.

Bottom line... you have to realize that at some point there has to be a confluence of circumstance....

And prescience to know that now ain't it.

Take a look at what we have on the O-line now, and what we are returning next year. Chances are next is going to be a re-building year, too. Then the year after that, is going to be a defensive rebuilding year.

After that... we likely are at the forefront again. But you have to believe... have to believe we have great coaches in place... and don't place your adult hopes on little Johnny-Superstar.

Having said all that, throw in your early 90's 'Bama and 60-something Texas beat-down tapes and enjoy.

You will feel better in the morning.

Boomer Sooner!

KantoSooner
11/9/2009, 09:51 AM
Fundamentally agree: you only have your stars for 3, maybe 4 years; your rank and file for 4 to 5 max. so it's hard to get all the pieces together at the same time.
Then you factor in injuries, family issues and the ineffable yet impossible to underestimate periodic mindless stupid decisions of 18-24 year-old males and you have a pretty chaotic situation. One that is very hard to predict and that makes college football interesting.
All that being understood, however, that's why the coaching staff gets paid handsome salaries. Yes, there's a lot of money involved and it's not an easy job, but still, $200K and up for teaching people how to play a school-yard game ain't a bad gig if you can get it.
So, why don't we have the personnel on our Oline this year? No one saw the graduations coming? In my little world, I work with factories, and here's a gem of wisdom that has held true without exception: it ain't EVER the worker's fault. It's management. Always. Even with the most shiiteheaded workforce can be dealt with by good managers. It's never the guy driving the forklift.
Thusly: it isn't 'execution'. If we're in game 9 and 'the execution' isn't there then one of two things is happening: either the coaching is ineffective (this year, with this group) or you have players being asked to do things they can not do. In either case, it is the job of the coachs to recognize this and adapt.
I'm not seeing that happen.
This is not a call for anyone's head. Last year was the same group and the offense was awesome (though we still couldn't run the ball as well as I would have liked).
Playing through adversity is a good thing. Character building. Sticking your finger into a wall socket repeatedly is just stupid. I fear we crossed that line a couple of games ago.