PDA

View Full Version : Stoops NEW CONTRACT

PLaw
11/8/2009, 10:44 PM
Bob's contract incentives are well documented. I think Joe needs to consider a couple of more "incentives" in Bob's next contract (assuming there will be one).

Lose 1 game: Base contract - $ 10,000
Lose 2 games: Base contract - $ 100,000
Lose 3 games: Base contract - $ 500,000
Lose 4 games: Base contract - $1,000,000
Lose 5 games: Base contract - $1,500,000

Boomer

prrriiide
11/8/2009, 10:50 PM
Bob's contract incentives are well documented. I think Joe needs to consider a couple of more "incentives" in Bob's next contract (assuming there will be one).

Lose 1 game: Base contract - $ 10,000
Lose 2 games: Base contract - $ 100,000
Lose 3 games: Base contract - $ 500,000
Lose 4 games: Base contract - $1,000,000
Lose 5 games: Base contract - $1,500,000

Boomer

Yeah, becasue Stoops should have to take one in the wallet whenever injuries decimate the offense.

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic/982I6vVB/998660.jpg

Eielson
11/8/2009, 10:53 PM
No comment.

batonrougesooner
11/8/2009, 11:19 PM
I'd rather reward performance than penalize failure.

Human nature would result in a playing not to lose mentality.

Not conducive to championship football.

Curly Bill
11/9/2009, 12:11 AM
I think we need to just keep giving him raises, that's worked out beautifully. ;)

Curly Bill
11/9/2009, 12:11 AM
Can we give him incentives for ever underperformng assistant coach he sh*t cans? :D

rawlingsHOH
11/9/2009, 12:14 AM
I think we need to just keep giving him raises, that's worked out beautifully. ;)

Yeah, being an eyelash away from the national championship last year proved his suckiness.

Curly Bill
11/9/2009, 12:16 AM
Yeah, being an eyelash away from the national championship last year proved his suckiness.

You know what they call 2nd place right? The first loser. :P

disclaimer: I do not think Bob a loser, nor the Sooner team a loser. I mostly just posted this to give rawlings hell.

rawlingsHOH
11/9/2009, 12:17 AM
You can click my posts red until you are blue in the face, Bill. I'll call out crap when I see it, all day long!

Curly Bill
11/9/2009, 12:19 AM
You can click my posts red until you are blue in the face, Bill. I'll call out crap when I see it, all day long!

LOL, feeling a little self important there nOOb? :texan:

rawlingsHOH
11/9/2009, 12:21 AM
LOL, feeling a little self important there nOOb? :texan:

Noob or new username?

Curly Bill
11/9/2009, 12:24 AM
Noob or new username?

All I know is you're so cute when you're angry. ;)

sooner59
11/9/2009, 12:56 AM
Yeah, becasue Stoops should have to take one in the wallet whenever injuries decimate the offense.

All I know is that I CAN NOT stand Stoops getting paid so much when he is beating our players with baseball bats in the locker room and blaming it on "in-game injuries". This is just terrible. These kids are only 19 years old! They don't deserve that from Stoops! :rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
11/9/2009, 01:02 AM
Salary has no relationship to winning. It is ridiculous to think that tying wins or losses to any coach's salary will affect the team in any positive way. Unless you are trying to be vindictive, what's the point?

Do I think Stoops is vastly overpaid? Yes. But I think that way for almost every coach out there.

Curly Bill
11/9/2009, 01:04 AM
I remember once upon a time being afraid we were going to lose the guy to the NFL.

Now, meh...

Collier11
11/9/2009, 01:14 AM
Expected response from you, the guy turned down the nfl numerous times, you should be grateful for his loyalty

LosAngelesSooner
11/9/2009, 01:48 AM
Jesus we've got some stupid ****ing fans sometimes... :rolleyes:

yermom
11/9/2009, 01:52 AM
too bad we didn't unload him on Florida when we had the chance

SicEmBaylor
11/9/2009, 01:59 AM
Salary has no relationship to winning.

Actually, I thought that it did. Doesn't he have a bunch of bonuses that kick in when he meets certain benchmarks? For example, I think he gets paid more if he makes it to a bowl, if he wins the CC, if he makes it to a BCS bowl, wins a NC, etc.

yermom
11/9/2009, 02:26 AM
i'm thinking ego pushes him more than money... of course, last year didn't he get $3MM just for sticking around?

it's not the head coach that makes a RS Freshman QB throw picks to lose games

not every backup QB is Paul Thompson, Nate Hybl or Jason White

En_Fuego
11/9/2009, 02:38 AM
Actually, I thought that it did. Doesn't he have a bunch of bonuses that kick in when he meets certain benchmarks? For example, I think he gets paid more if he makes it to a bowl, if he wins the CC, if he makes it to a BCS bowl, wins a NC, etc.

You are correct. Looks like the Stoop's family will be eating beans and cornbread next year.

Leroy Lizard
11/9/2009, 02:40 AM
Actually, I thought that it did. Doesn't he have a bunch of bonuses that kick in when he meets certain benchmarks? For example, I think he gets paid more if he makes it to a bowl, if he wins the CC, if he makes it to a BCS bowl, wins a NC, etc

You misunderstood my point: Higher salaries won't make him coach better, or have any affect on the team. Bonuses are simply rewards for a job well done.

SicEmBaylor
11/9/2009, 02:41 AM
You misunderstood my point: Higher salaries won't make him coach better, or have any affect on the team. Bonuses are simply rewards for a job well done.

Ah, well then I totally agree.

colinreturn
11/9/2009, 03:46 AM

i came here to say this

missann
11/9/2009, 04:29 AM
it's not the head coach that makes a RS Freshman QB throw picks to lose games

not every backup QB is Paul Thompson, Nate Hybl or Jason White

At OU, they should be. And Jason was leagues better than Paul and Nate.

SGT Park3R
11/9/2009, 05:52 AM
All I know is that I CAN NOT stand Stoops getting paid so much when he is beating our players with baseball bats in the locker room and blaming it on "in-game injuries". This is just terrible. These kids are only 19 years old! They don't deserve that from Stoops! :rolleyes:

Heh? Where did this come from? I assume you have reliable sources.

yermom
11/9/2009, 08:46 AM

he still lost the QB battle to Nate before the 2001 season

it only took Nate and Paul one try to win the Big 12 championship game ;)

Squigglyline
11/9/2009, 08:55 AM

this.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/9/2009, 09:45 AM
Where is the innovation on this team???

Hell we did more with less in 1999 and 2000.

sooneron
11/9/2009, 09:52 AM

I hate to point this out to you, miss, but the olines of 01, 05, and 09 are the worst of Stoops' tenure. And 09's, may win the top billing of those 3 by a long shot.

Interesting coincidence...

PhilTLL
11/9/2009, 10:58 AM

HAH! I couldn't tell if you were kidding or not. It is almost impossible to recruit a starter-quality backup to ANY bigtime school and have them stick it out more than a couple of seasons (including redshirt) on the bench, at least one you know is starter-quality in advance. See: Keith Nichol and Tommy Grady. With the sheer amount of exposure and playing time available in FBS football in the year 2009, it's not realistic anymore to expect a guy to suck it up just to wear the paperclip. Even Landry Jones wouldn't be here unless he thought he was going to be the starter after 2 years.

We have actually gotten tremendously lucky through native-Okie recruits (Sam, Jason), weird injuries/suspensions opening doors for unsung but motivated guys (Nate, Paul, Sam), a superior run game than this year's, and excellent QB coaching. Most schools could not have pulled out 3 Big 12 titles in the 4 years after losing a Heisman winner--himself totally out-of-nowhere--much less generated another Heisman at the same position. No team anywhere wants to lose its starter; none of them ever think "Eh, no big deal, just get the next guy warming up." Well, not teams with any sort of emphasis on passing the ball.

yermom
11/9/2009, 11:07 AM
unless you are in Lubbock :eek:

Tulsa_Fireman
11/9/2009, 11:09 AM
That's the problem.

We need the NINJA.

Curly Bill
11/9/2009, 08:45 PM
Expected response from you, the guy turned down the nfl numerous times, you should be grateful for his loyalty

I was at the time, now...not as much. :D

I doubt we have to worry too much about that now though. ;)

TXBOOMER
11/9/2009, 09:01 PM
he still lost the QB battle to Nate before the 2001 season

it only took Nate and Paul one try to win the Big 12 championship game ;)

Jason was out of either of their league as a college QB.

oudivesherpa
11/9/2009, 09:45 PM
Salary has no relationship to winning. It is ridiculous to think that tying wins or losses to any coach's salary will affect the team in any positive way. Unless you are trying to be vindictive, what's the point?

Do I think Stoops is vastly overpaid? Yes. But I think that way for almost every coach out there.

Does Incentive pay work? When I got my MBA from OU 40 years ago, the Profs thought incentive pay was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Maybe, I'm unusal, but I always worked harder on an incentive pay contract.

Do most of the posters think incentive pay is a waste of money? Are there any Price College Graduates out there who think we are wasting our money on incentive pay contracts for coaches? If that's the case, we can probably get Smell of Bourbon back for about $400K and save a ton on the rest of the coaching staff.:D

Tulsa_Fireman
11/9/2009, 10:51 PM
FIRE CALVIN SIMPSON

soonerborn30
11/9/2009, 11:07 PM
He doesn't deserve another raise until he wins a bowl game.

Curly Bill
11/9/2009, 11:10 PM

Oh! You've gone and done it now! ;)

soonerborn30
11/9/2009, 11:13 PM
That's right! I said it!!

Curly Bill
11/9/2009, 11:16 PM
That's right! I said it!!

You're right of course, but there are peeps here abouts that will hear nothing of the kind.

stoopified
11/10/2009, 09:44 AM
too bad we didn't unload him on Florida when we had the chance:D

Collier11
11/10/2009, 09:58 AM
Listen, if we go out and have another crapfest season next yr, I will be ready to see some changes, forced even. The fact of the matter is, after 10+ yrs Stoops has earned the right to have a bad season, especially when you consider the injuries we have had, now Eldridge and English are out for the year, does it ever stop? Do I enjoy this crapfest season, not really. The anticipation for OU football is unreal so to be so utterly disappointed really sucks, im not gonna crucify the guy yet though

oudivesherpa
11/10/2009, 05:04 PM
I think it premature, to talk of firing Stoops. That being said, I think Universities tend to hold on to coaches too long. In the business world your allowed a down year or two,especially if you have had a sting of good performing years, but you had better have a damn good plan to turn things around or you won't around your third year. When performance on the field affects negatively the quality or recruits that you sign, then it's time to let the coach go.

rainiersooner
11/10/2009, 05:17 PM

So, if you're the AD, your recommendation to the board of trustee is to breach the contract currently in place with Stoops and not pay him the compensation stated in the contract?

I could care less what Stoops is paid. The only question anyone should ask is whether or not they want him to be the coach (I happen to say yes to that): once that is decided, pay him what the market bears to keep him. Bob Stoops' salary has ZERO effect on the lives of people on this board - I don't know why ya'll get so worked up about it.

rainiersooner
11/10/2009, 05:23 PM
Does Incentive pay work? When I got my MBA from OU 40 years ago, the Profs thought incentive pay was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Maybe, I'm unusal, but I always worked harder on an incentive pay contract.

Do most of the posters think incentive pay is a waste of money? Are there any Price College Graduates out there who think we are wasting our money on incentive pay contracts for coaches? If that's the case, we can probably get Smell of Bourbon back for about $400K and save a ton on the rest of the coaching staff.:D

I think incentive clauses in coach's contracts are generally just a way to minimize base salary obligations. I think its a unique situation. My guess is that if OU didn't have incentive compensation built into Stoops' contract, he would still be similarly motivated to win a MNC, with the thought that his success would be rewarded eventually - at another school that WILL pay him more.

Howzit
11/10/2009, 05:38 PM
How about a pay for performance schedule? $100k a win plus bonuses for conference and national championships.

rainiersooner
11/10/2009, 05:47 PM
How about a pay for performance schedule? $100k a win plus bonuses for conference and national championships.

I think that and any other number of options make sense but ultimately fail, because I think the only right answer for high level positions like this are that you pay what the market demands you pay if you want to keep the coach.

Not to throw a non-football subject into it, but I think that is what is so wrong with governmental restrictions on executive pay in the financial services sector - if Bank of America can't pay its executives what they can get paid somewhere else, they're going to go somewhere else. So the first question should always be "Do we want this person to work here?"

Leroy Lizard
11/10/2009, 07:25 PM

We're not talking about working harder here. We are talking about working better, and no incentive clause is going to make Stoops a better coach.

And incentive pay is only effective in the short term. It can prompt someone to get off his butt if the rewards occur relatively soon. They won't turn a bad employee into a good employee.

Stoops is about as good as he will ever get, and no amount of money is going to change that. He works his butt off because that is his nature, not because there is incentive pay in it.

Do most of the posters think incentive pay is a waste of money? Are there any Price College Graduates out there who think we are wasting our money on incentive pay contracts for coaches? If that's the case, we can probably get Smell of Bourbon back for about $400K and save a ton on the rest of the coaching staff.

The incentive pay is negotiated as a financial reward for success. Under no condition would Stoops ever say that he worked harder than usual because there was extra money in it, because he knows better.

BTW, those who say they work harder because of a financial incentive are also admitting that their performance will drop when the company hits hard times. I don't want that employee working for me. I want people who are hard chargers because that is just the way they are. Then I would give them a reward for a job well done to show my appreciation.

ashley
11/10/2009, 09:28 PM
Can we give him incentives for ever underperformng assistant coach he sh*t cans? :D

How are they bouncing Bill. Are you scrimmaging with'em? Do you feel like you need some sun? How many free throws did you make in a row today? Isn't it a lot more fun to do hoops than have to go outside and watch the other coaches coach football? What did you have do do to get straight B-ball. I can only guess. Oh, I know the tourney's are hell though. Don't you find it hard to be a football expert from the gym?
Be sure and let me know your record this year.

rainiersooner
11/10/2009, 09:35 PM
How are they bouncing Bill. Are you scrimmaging with'em? Do you feel like you need some sun? How many free throws did you make in a row today? Isn't it a lot more fun to do hoops than have to go outside and watch the other coaches coach football? What did you have do do to get straight B-ball. I can only guess. Oh, I know the tourney's are hell though. Don't you find it hard to be a football expert from the gym?

:pop:

Curly Bill
11/10/2009, 10:09 PM

Geez gramps, could you be any gayer? :O

rainiersooner
11/11/2009, 01:22 AM
Geez gramps, could you be any gayer? :O

This has got to be some sort of inside joke between you two, right?

Leroy Lizard
11/11/2009, 02:25 AM
God I hope so. I would hate to think I should be able to understand their little tango.

prrriiide
11/11/2009, 03:17 AM
*SIGH*

Here we go again...

1983 Barry Switzer 8 - 4
1982 Barry Switzer 8 - 4
1981 Barry Switzer 7 - 4
1961 Charles B. "Bud" Wilkinson 5 - 5
1960 Charles B. "Bud" Wilkinson 3 – 6 (for those of you keeping count, that’s only 4 years after his last MNC)
In 1965, Bear won a MNC at Bama. He won another in 1973. But then he also had back-to-back 6-5 seasons in 1969 and 1970.

Leroy Lizard
11/11/2009, 03:34 AM
Bud also went 16-5 for the following two seasons and won the conference title once.

His record in 1960 was actually 3-6-1. Switzer finished 7-4-1 in 1981.

OK2U
11/11/2009, 03:45 AM
Newsok:
Offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson joked Tuesday he may have to try the Ninja formation, a gimmick set that uses only three linemen, because of the team’s latest losses on the line.

soonerborn30
11/11/2009, 10:30 AM
So, if you're the AD, your recommendation to the board of trustee is to breach the contract currently in place with Stoops and not pay him the compensation stated in the contract?

I could care less what Stoops is paid. The only question anyone should ask is whether or not they want him to be the coach (I happen to say yes to that): once that is decided, pay him what the market bears to keep him. Bob Stoops' salary has ZERO effect on the lives of people on this board - I don't know why ya'll get so worked up about it.

1) I was kidding
2) He isn't paid for winning those games. Only appearing in them.

soonerborn30
11/11/2009, 10:49 AM

1) I was kidding
2) He isn't paid for winning bowl games. He's paid for appearing in them, with the exception of the National Championship. He does get a bonus for winning that.

It's all right here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/4944716/bob-stoops-contract-oklahoma-football

A-M
11/11/2009, 10:49 AM
I question if we should expect Stoops or any coach to be able to win games when most of his first string O team is out with injuries. We are lucky the back ups have won any games. Hope things are better next year. I'm too old to make it through 2 season like this year.

rainiersooner
11/11/2009, 11:29 AM
1) I was kidding
2) He isn't paid for winning bowl games. He's paid for appearing in them, with the exception of the National Championship. He does get a bonus for winning that.

It's all right here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/4944716/bob-stoops-contract-oklahoma-football

Fair enough.