PDA

View Full Version : I'm making bacon cookies.

proud gonzo
11/8/2009, 09:45 PM
This will either be awesome or disaster....

I'll keep you posted.

JLEW1818
11/8/2009, 09:49 PM
:confused: :eek:

SicEmBaylor
11/8/2009, 09:51 PM
This is awesome.

olevetonahill
11/8/2009, 10:01 PM
I bet some Bacon Oatmeal would be great ;)

LosAngelesSooner
11/8/2009, 10:02 PM
Spek given.

Petro-Sooner
11/8/2009, 10:24 PM
bacon oatmeal raisin. Ahhhhhhhh

TUSooner
11/8/2009, 10:40 PM
This will either be awesome or disaster....

I'll keep you posted.

I just don't see any potential for disaster. Just the thought makes me salivate.

Chuck Bao
11/8/2009, 10:58 PM
I assume finely chopped bacon bits and that would be most excellent.

I baked some peanut butter cookies as I was listening to the game and Nope took them to hand out to the street kids yesterday. Okay, I realize that wasn't a great thing but it is far better than just eating them myself. .

JohnnyMack
11/8/2009, 11:04 PM
Bacon is good for me!!!

proud gonzo
11/8/2009, 11:10 PM
ok... they're kinda like chocolate chip cookies but with bacon instead of chocolate chips. And there's maple syrup in them too. And they are AWESOME.

Oh, and the reason I'm making them is kinda interesting...my fiance has a vegan anti-bacon communist hippie roommate. Will made bacon one night and the dude flipped out and was an ******* because apparently it's bad for his clothes to smell like bacon, but smelling like raw garlic and unwashed hippie is okay. apparently. And whenever my mom or I send Will homemade cookies, the roommate eats them.

He won't eat more than one cookie this time :D

SCOUT
11/8/2009, 11:13 PM
It is great that you are making the cookies, but your reasoning makes it magnificent.

OKC-SLC
11/8/2009, 11:42 PM
Cookies are awesome.

Bacon is awesome.

I can only imagine a positive outcome.

Good jorb, pg.

proud gonzo
11/8/2009, 11:55 PM
Hell. Yes.
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/3725/baconcookies.jpg

Curly Bill
11/9/2009, 12:07 AM
Reminds me of the ol George Costanza putting lobster in the scrambled eggs episode. Beautiful!

SicEmBaylor
11/9/2009, 12:26 AM
Not only can you bake the most awesome cookies ever, but you also have crazy good macro photography skills. Spek to you.

LosAngelesSooner
11/9/2009, 12:46 AM
This thread

is officially

EPIC.

proud gonzo
11/9/2009, 12:50 AM
So you can have your own epic bacony goodness--I don't really measure things, but to my nearest estimation:

I Can Has Bacon Cookiez

1.5 c. butter
1/4 c. crisco
1 Tbsp. bacon drippings
1/2 c. powdered sugar
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1/3 c. maple syrup
1 Tbsp. molasses
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 lb. bacon, fried crispy and crumbled
3 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder

Cream together everything but the bacon, flour, and baking powder, then gradually stir in the dry ingredients.

Globs the size of ping pong balls, squished to about 1/4". Bake 14-16 minutes, 350 degrees. Makes 4-5 dozen.

batonrougesooner
11/9/2009, 05:11 AM
So you're "bacon" cookies?

Sorry, had to.

SicEmBaylor
11/9/2009, 05:27 AM

Sorry, had to.

He's here all week folks. Don't forget to tip your waitress.

Fraggle145
11/9/2009, 09:46 AM

Sorry, had to.

http://instantrimshot.com/

Fraggle145
11/9/2009, 09:46 AM
WANT.

Tailwind
11/9/2009, 10:34 AM
After seeing this thread, I wondered if there were any such thing. So I googled "Bacon Cookies" and there are quite a few recipes for them. Verrrry interesting.

StoopTroup
11/9/2009, 11:20 AM
Mmmmmm....makin bacon......cookies.

btk108
11/9/2009, 11:42 AM
be sure and butter yer bacon

TheHumanAlphabet
11/9/2009, 11:47 AM
ok... they're kinda like chocolate chip cookies but with bacon instead of chocolate chips. And there's maple syrup in them too. And they are AWESOME.

Oh, and the reason I'm making them is kinda interesting...my fiance has a vegan anti-bacon communist hippie roommate. Will made bacon one night and the dude flipped out and was an ******* because apparently it's bad for his clothes to smell like bacon, but smelling like raw garlic and unwashed hippie is okay. apparently. And whenever my mom or I send Will homemade cookies, the roommate eats them.

Tell your fiance to get a new roommate. I bet the roommate even uses patchouli oil as a cologne.

Oh and the cookie sabotage - great idea...

beer4me
11/9/2009, 01:18 PM
Bacon = Manna

Penguin
11/9/2009, 01:22 PM
http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/bb11011120d3e15a_landing

soonerinkaty
11/9/2009, 01:27 PM
Bacon = Manna

Thats funny because Jews dont eat pork. But i agree with this statement.

proud gonzo
11/9/2009, 01:45 PM
Tell your fiance to get a new roommate. I bet the roommate even uses patchouli oil as a cologne.

Oh and the cookie sabotage - great idea...Will's moving here with me in 2 months, so that's taken care of. And no, the hippie won't even WEAR patchouli because it's "not natural." When he got a sinus infection he refused to take medicine for it and instead decided to rinse his sinuses out with his own ****. Not kidding.

I try to intentionally antagonize him. The first time I met him I was wearing a mink coat. Last time I wore some awesome boots--when he complimented them I happily told him they're cowskin.

IB4OU2
11/9/2009, 04:22 PM
"Honey! Hop outa bed and fry me up some bacon cookies!" :D

JohnnyMack
11/9/2009, 04:39 PM
2T_obaO46Bo

Oldnslo
11/9/2009, 06:12 PM
Thats funny because Jews dont eat pork. But i agree with this statement.

Reform Jews can eat bacon, shellfish, and anything else.

And as soon as possible, THIS Reform Jew will enjoy bacon cookies!

StoopTroup
11/10/2009, 06:41 AM
Reformed Jews? That sounds painful. Is that like molding clay reforming or did Jesus reform you? :D ;)

batonrougesooner
11/10/2009, 08:29 AM
Reform Jews can eat bacon, shellfish, and anything else.

And as soon as possible, THIS Reform Jew will enjoy bacon cookies!

What about cream sauce on your meat?

Penguin
11/24/2009, 12:11 PM

Well? What happened? Inquiring minds want to know.

NormanPride
11/24/2009, 12:27 PM
Yeah, did the hippie die like the witch in The Wizard of Oz after eating one?

GottaHavePride
11/24/2009, 01:40 PM
PG won't have much internet access over Thanksgiving. Anyway, I can tell you the dirty hippie roommate overheard a bit of a phone conversation and figured out there was another box on the way and asked what kind of cookies PG was sending this time. You know, as if the cookies are for HIM. So they told him "BACON". And apparently he was very offended by this.

NormanPride
11/24/2009, 02:21 PM
Ha! Awesome. Why would he be offended at someone else's gift of cookies to someone else? Because he's an *******.

Oldnslo
11/24/2009, 05:56 PM
What about cream sauce on your meat?

Uh, what?

soonerboomer93
11/24/2009, 09:58 PM
So you can have your own epic bacony goodness--I don't really measure things, but to my nearest estimation:

I Can Has Bacon Cookiez

1.5 c. butter
1/4 c. crisco
1 Tbsp. bacon drippings
1/2 c. powdered sugar
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1/3 c. maple syrup
1 Tbsp. molasses
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 lb. bacon, fried crispy and crumbled
3 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder

Cream together everything but the bacon, flour, and baking powder, then gradually stir in the dry ingredients.

Globs the size of ping pong balls, squished to about 1/4". Bake 14-16 minutes, 350 degrees. Makes 4-5 dozen.

mmm, bacon

yermom
11/25/2009, 01:38 AM
Uh, what?

isn't there something about mixing dairy and meat?

yermom
11/25/2009, 01:39 AM
PG won't have much internet access over Thanksgiving. Anyway, I can tell you the dirty hippie roommate overheard a bit of a phone conversation and figured out there was another box on the way and asked what kind of cookies PG was sending this time. You know, as if the cookies are for HIM. So they told him "BACON". And apparently he was very offended by this.

i'm thinking the correct answer is "it's a surprise"

MamaMia
11/25/2009, 09:29 AM
I bet some Bacon Oatmeal would be great ;)
Bacon-Oatmeal Cookies
- makes 25-30 sandwiches, 4-5 dozen cookies -

If you plan on sandwiching the cookies together, I encourage you to experiment with different, subtly flavored fillings. At the restaurant, I use an Italian-meringue version (slightly lighter and less sweet but significantly more complicated and time-consuming to make) of this brown-butter frosting.

Ingredients
1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons bacon fat, room temperature* (224 grams)
1 1/2 cups sugar (300 grams)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 1/2 teaspoons molasses (30 grams)
4 1/2 teaspoons honey (30 grams)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (180 grams)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups quick oats** (240 grams)
1 1/2 cups bacon bits* (~85 grams)
1 cup raisins, chocolate chips or walnut pieces – optional

Procedure
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. With a hand held or stand mixer, cream fat with sugar until creamy and light. (N.B.:You will not be able to achieve the same level of fluffiness in this step with bacon fat as you would with a recipe using butter or shortening. Trying to do so will result in frustration and, possibly, a greasy, over-worked—e.g. melted—mess.)

2. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla, molasses and honey, and beat to incorporate.

3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt, and whisk to incorporate. Add this mixture to the butter mixture and beat to incorporate. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl, and beat briefly to insure that mixture is homogeneous.

4. Add the oats, bacon bits and raisins, chocolate chips or walnuts, if using. Mix until well distributed.

5. Drop dough by the heaping tablespoonful onto parchment- or Silpat-lined baking trays, leaving 1 1/2 or 2 inches between cookies. Bake for 10-12 minutes, rotating tray once during baking. Cool cookies completely before filling.

* It takes about a pound of bacon, give or take, to acquire the prescribed quantities of fat and bits. Cut the bacon into small pieces and cook over low heat, allowing plenty of time for the fat to render out before the pieces color too much. Pour bacon into a fine mesh sieve set over a heat-proof bowl. Once the fat has drained into the bowl, set aside and allow to cool to room temperature. Turn bacon bits out onto paper towels. Bits and fat can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week before use, just be sure to bring the fat to room temperature before making the cookie dough.

** You can use the same quantity of old-fashioned oats in this recipe, but I’ve found that the cookies have a little more structure, a slightly nicer texture and bake into more attractive—less lumpy and irregular—circles with the quick oats.

Oldnslo
11/25/2009, 12:06 PM
isn't there something about mixing dairy and meat?

ah, gotcha. Yes. If memory serves, the actual verse talks about not cooking a kid in the milk of its mother, but, as so often happens the rule has taken on a life of its own. Many places, inlcuding private homes, have 2 kitchens, one for meat and the other for dairy. The dairy kitchen is the main one.

Personally, I'm happy to comply with the original edict: I have NEVER cooked a kid in its mothers milk and have no plans to!