PDA

View Full Version : Why all the Landry hating? seriously

Killerbees
11/8/2009, 08:33 PM
When Bradford played his first few games I came out of lurkdom and stated my reservations about all the hype surrounding him, I didnt say he sucked or anything just that he wasnt all-star material YET, he was still raw and needed developing while the majority of people here were smack in the middle of a full blown love fest. I got smashed big time for it.

I saw the same thing happening with Landry this time and saved myself a hammering and didnt post. Now after seeing all the haters come out in droves I must say that I am surprised. What part of "he is a freshmen" do you haters not get. He is raw, he needs work, we have to deal with that and give him time. Unfortunately he does not have the same group of players surrounding him that Bradford had. He has to contend with lineman and receivers that also need work as he does.

Lay off the kid and let him sort things out. He has a strong arm and has shown he can be accurate when he has the time to setup, he just needs some time under his belt. Will he ever be as good as Bradford, I dunno, but he has the capability. The only thing I see that he probably wont be able to improve with time is that he cannot throw on the run very well he needs to set his feet and that can be hard when your line isnt blocking very well.

Football really is a team sport and the players surrounding a quarterback can and do make him look bad or good. In Bradfords case they made him look better than he really was but he quickly grew into that ability and became one heck of a QB. In Landrys case they are making him look worse than he really is. I think given time he will be a good QB maybe not great but certainly capable of earning the starting job.

The next is a little OT for this thread but I am just gonna go ahead and pile it in anyways.

Blaming Wilson for calls when he is hamstrung by the performance of the players on the field is just as boneheaded.

Statements like "our worst season ever" and etc are just plain retarded. Getting beat by Tulsa at HOME is easily worse than this. If you want to see the worst season ever then checkout the 96 train wreck. Actually pretty much any of the 90s except 99 were a train wreck but I personally think 96 was the worst. We are far from that.

rawlingsHOH
11/8/2009, 08:34 PM
It is ridiculous.

Super-fan is angry and needs to vent on the innerwebs.

The kid picked a bad day to have his first bad game.

MarylandSooner
11/8/2009, 08:39 PM
Five Int's and a handful of tips by a guy 6'5 will get some folks very upset.

SunnySooner
11/8/2009, 08:49 PM
To the OP--great post, totally agree. Time will tell about Landry, but he's been very good in the situation he's been thrown into, this is a what 19 year old? 20? Lot of growing to do, but he's shown great potential, I'm not giving up on him after one bad game against a heck of a defense.

Sooner-N-KS
11/8/2009, 09:04 PM
Blaming Wilson for calls when he is hamstrung by the performance of the players on the field is just as boneheaded.

No, it isn't. As offensive coordinator his job is to call plays that his players can successfully execute. If they can't successfully execute enough plays then there may be a problem with what he's teaching them at practice.

delhalew
11/8/2009, 09:16 PM
I'm in no hurry to defend Wilson(although, I liked some of his calls saturday night). Other than that I totally agree with the OP.

OUmillenium
11/8/2009, 09:21 PM
Landry sucked and played scared. But he's the best we have and I will be pulling for him and the Sooners to finish well and would even like to go see them in the Cotton Bowl if possible.

wishbonesooner
11/8/2009, 09:51 PM
I guess you don't get to have bad days in the world the Sooners live in. I think Landry will be OK, no way he can be Sam.

PLaw
11/8/2009, 10:15 PM
I would challenge anybody criticizing Landry to step behind that O-line and try to do better. If you rag on a 19 year old kid, then go tell Stoops that you want to walk-on at QB and start running scout team.

Landry had some balls that sailed on him last night, but he had incredible pressure and "O" coaches that had no answer for their overmatched O-line.

Boomer

Soonerman08
11/8/2009, 10:31 PM
I am still supporting Landry. I don't fault him for playing the way he did. He was hurried all night long. Our crappy line didn't help him out, and I feel bad for him. Don't get your head down Landry, buck up son.

It is unfair to compair him to Sam. Sam had a great line to get through his reads, and Landry doesn't have that luxury.

Pricetag
11/8/2009, 10:54 PM
If Landry had been playing crappily all year, we wouldn't have thought twice about the performance Saturday night. Personally, I'm glad we have something to freak out about there.

goingoneight
11/9/2009, 01:44 AM
A-ahem...
Loadholt, Robinson, Cooper, Walker, Williams >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Williams lost at LT, shuffling and scrambling for five quality OL each Saturday.

Gresham, JJF, Eldridge >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mensik, Ratterree, Hanna

Kelly, Iglesias, Johnson, Chaney and Broyles >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Broyles and an inconsistent spark from DeJuan Miller.

So tell me... how was it Sam was so good? Was it talent? Yes. More talent to work with as a RS Fr. than LJ has had. Picking on LJ because he's not Sam is basically saying take Tom Brady and put him in Detroit. The problem is not LJ.

En_Fuego
11/9/2009, 02:46 AM
If I were the QB at the Nebraska game I would not have thrown a Hail Mary pass with 2nd and 10 with 41 sec on the clock.....The pass went so high it could have been a pass/punt.

Leroy Lizard
11/9/2009, 03:38 AM
Yeah, that was a terrible decision on Landry's part. I think he would admit it as well.

GKeeper316
11/9/2009, 04:16 AM
Yeah, that was a terrible decision on Landry's part. I think he would admit it as well.

only slightly more boneheaded than shaving the 'stache

SGT Park3R
11/9/2009, 06:29 AM
I can't help but think Landry has in the back of his head that he's playing behind the same line (or even more inexperienced now) that Sam got injured behind. Just a thought.

TJKDone
11/9/2009, 07:32 AM
It is more convenient that really addressing the issue. You didn't have enough depth at OL to withstand the injuries. That is the cause of the problems you now face. Poor program planning through recruitment/retention of OL players.

Buddy Ryan once said, "It doesn't matter if YA Tittle is playing QB if he is running for his life." No QB was going to be successful with what you guys have at the line. Landry is a classic scapegoat.

Hook'em

JohnnyMack
11/9/2009, 08:50 AM
While the fault for the loss doesn't go entirely on Landry's shoulders I do happen to think he's got issues with his delivery. He was late on most of his passes, I think they need to address his motion. It takes too long for the ball to get out of his hands.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/9/2009, 08:59 AM
The coaches suspected Landry was going to be the backup this year, they should have given him playing time last year in case Sam got injured. I hope they give Drew Allen some playing time this year.

SoonerMavrick25
11/9/2009, 09:11 AM
I think the main reason the "hate" is on Landry Jones is because we aren't seeing any improvement, we saw him take a giant leap backwards this week. (I know the oline has its problems and the WR. But you can't lock on your target and not expect to get picked) and for all the people out there that were pissed that we didn't throw the ball against Miami. Well you have you answer. Landry isn’t ready to shoulder the load yet.

fossil
11/9/2009, 09:25 AM
Landry sucked and played scared. But he's the best we have and I will be pulling for him and the Sooners to finish well and would even like to go see them in the Cotton Bowl if possible.

Landry had a bad day, can happen to anyone. Haven't you ever had a day when everything you tried went to hell in a hand basket? Sure ya have, and Landry is entitled to one occasionally. Lincoln is not an easy place to play, especially when the opposing defense is fired up and seemingly every tipped or overthrown pass went directly to someone.

Landry was not having a good passing night because there was no protection. Get the offensive line problems clear up, and Landry becomes much better when he has time?

Tulsa_Fireman
11/9/2009, 09:28 AM
I don't give a damn how broad your shoulders are, NO quarterback can shoulder the load of ten other guys. It's not an issue of Landry Jones being ready to shoulder that load. It's an issue of a large majority of the other ten guys not shouldering theirs.

SoonerMavrick25
11/9/2009, 09:51 AM
I don't give a damn how broad your shoulders are, NO quarterback can shoulder the load of ten other guys. It's not an issue of Landry Jones being ready to shoulder that load. It's an issue of a large majority of the other ten guys not shouldering theirs.

I agree to an extent. I wonder if he has been instructed to not scramble. Because he will not tuck and go. He throws the ball well off the run. My main beef is he wouldn't step up and take a hit. He threw off his back foot on 85% of his throws and at times he didn't need to. I was talking after the game with a buddy, and I see a lot of Nate Hybl in Landry Jones. If we get some players around Landry he will be alright. I will say that Hybl would stand in deliver a pass even if he knew he was going to get blown up.. I.E K-State 2001 Landry needs to get a little of that in him...

sooneron
11/9/2009, 10:00 AM
I agree to an extent. I wonder if he has been instructed to not scramble. Because he will not tuck and go. He throws the ball well off the run. My main beef is he wouldn't step up and take a hit. He threw off his back foot on 85% of his throws and at times he didn't need to. I was talking after the game with a buddy, and I see a lot of Nate Hybl in Landry Jones. If we get some players around Landry he will be alright. I will say that Hybl would stand in deliver a pass even if he knew he was going to get blown up.. I.E K-State 2001 Landry needs to get a little of that in him...

Yeah, well, Nate also knew that if he went down, a competent back up was ready to come into the game. Not so true with LJ.

sooneron
11/9/2009, 10:10 AM
I think the main reason the "hate" is on Landry Jones is because we aren't seeing any improvement, we saw him take a giant leap backwards this week. (I know the oline has its problems and the WR. But you can't lock on your target and not expect to get picked) and for all the people out there that were pissed that we didn't throw the ball against Miami. Well you have you answer. Landry isn’t ready to shoulder the load yet.

You should really do a little research before you spew.

no improvement? Yeah he had a lousy game, but you say that there was no improvement...

His pass rating since he came in during the * game
ku - 136
ksu - 172

Yeah, I see what you mean about no improvement there.:rolleyes:

Not sunshine pumping, but he is ranked ahead of former media darlings Jake Locker and Jevan Snead.

tanjou
11/9/2009, 10:15 AM
If our boys in the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines are ready to tangle with the worst enemies of America at 18 and 19, Landry should be able to handle throwing, say, 1 pick instead of 5.

sooneron
11/9/2009, 10:20 AM
STUPID ANALOGY. And you're also saying that soldiers in combat don't make mistakes? Uh, ok.

OKLA21FAN
11/9/2009, 10:22 AM
If our boys in the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines are ready to tangle with the worst enemies of America at 18 and 19, Landry should be able to handle throwing, say, 1 pick instead of 5.

Pat Tillman would prob disagree with this :gary:

KRYPTON
11/9/2009, 10:31 AM
Heupel had a 4 INT game once. He turned out pretty crappy, didn't he?

I'm not excusing it, but a freshman is going to drop a stinkpickle every now and then. This is a big, long, extra-fragrant stinkpickle for sure, but the season was already shot, the OL is a far more serious problem, the WR's still drop passes, etc etc...

SoonerLB
11/9/2009, 10:32 AM
I find it hard to condemn Landry with the pressure he is under from late play calls, poor quality offensive line, and a less than stellar reciever corp. The poor kid can't depend on anyone outside Broyles, Murray, and Brown.
Anyone that thinks they can do better under the circumstances needs to step on up, and I hope you can kick field goals too!

tanjou
11/9/2009, 10:44 AM
STUPID ANALOGY. And you're also saying that soldiers in combat don't make mistakes? Uh, ok.
They may, but America always wins.

OKLA21FAN
11/9/2009, 10:50 AM

poor choice of words

BoulderSooner79
11/9/2009, 10:58 AM

Dumb. There is no 11 player limit in combat, thank goodness. And sports is not war - it's just entertainment. If you're not entertained, then change the channel.

SoonerMavrick25
11/9/2009, 11:07 AM
You should really do a little research before you spew.

no improvement? Yeah he had a lousy game, but you say that there was no improvement...

His pass rating since he came in during the * game
ku - 136
ksu - 172

Yeah, I see what you mean about no improvement there.:rolleyes:

Not sunshine pumping, but he is ranked ahead of former media darlings Jake Locker and Jevan Snead.

So you saw improvements vs. Neb??? It's safe to say that KU's and KSU's D is not the caliber D of Neb. So I expected him to struggle some. But not like this. I know that stats. IMHO he has played three really good D’s (the U, Texas, and Neb) and he has 2 touchdowns (on a great play by Ryan Broyles and I realize that he was thrown into the game) vs 7 INT's
He threw two ints against Tulsa, and One against KU (I think one of those was tipped cant remember) But does it not worry you that out of those 7 INTS. 5 went to the safeties? I feel like he hasn't made any improvements in going through his progressions or reading the D. (I’m sure you can blame that on not having anytime because our line sucks but he has only been sacked 7 times out of 287 drop backs, That’s not all that bad)
I am not a coach at all. Just an avid football fan and that LOVES watching Oklahoma football. I am not a Landry hater by any means. I like the Kid. I think he is a great KID. So sorry If I came across as one of those bitter OU fans that thinks he knows everything.

NormanPride
11/9/2009, 11:17 AM
Sure the OL had its share of problems, but they only gave up two sacks and a handful of hits behind the line. For most of the night, Landry had all the time he needed. Hell, they even blocked pretty damn well on running plays. Wilson called a fairly good game and made some key adjustments in the second half causing our running game to open up along with a few plays down the field.

Landry's young and bound to make some mistakes against a good defense, but he also played very poorly in general. He'll rebound and we'll be fine in the long run, but games like this make you think...

Tulsa_Fireman
11/9/2009, 11:34 AM
(I’m sure you can blame that on not having anytime because our line sucks but he has only been sacked 7 times out of 287 drop backs, That’s not all that bad)

Which in and of itself is a testament to Landry Jones, not a joyous look at the effectiveness of our front five.

And no, it doesn't worry me that 5 out of 7 picks went to the safeties. That doesn't guarantee the kid is locking on receivers. Doesn't mean the kid isn't going through his rotations. Doesn't mean the kid throws a bad ball.

Defensive reads take some experience. And that's actually part of the logic of the no huddle. It makes those reads easier by allowing the offense to check a set, adjust for coverage, and put something in that should be able to take advantage of what the defense is showing. That's half of your pre-snap read done for you. From there, it's simply a matter of checking down, something Landry Jones has done pretty dang well in his time under center. Is he as quick recognizing coverage and picking up coverage transitions as Sam Bradford? Hell no, that's why Sam has a Heisman sitting in his trophy case. Has he improved? Sure he has. K-State last week is a classic example. But pressure can kill a young, inexperienced QB's ability to make his checkdowns strictly based on the fact that they don't read nearly as quick as someone who knows it forward and backward.

One thing I noticed is his eyes stayed downfield MUCH more in the Nebraska game than in games past. He had a nasty habit of eyeing the pressure then trying to reacquire his receivers downfield, a nigh impossible task. Now with the pressure he's moving and looking, a welcome change that comes from quality coaching. Once the coaches square up his footwork (which is almost entirely a byproduct of the horrible line play as he used to have a beautiful, but somewhat slow follow through), that's one more thing that'll serve to make him that much better.

In other words, he makes his checks. Slower than Sam and sometimes inexperience bites him on the butt, expecting routes to open that don't, checking off routes that open from transition out of a zone, all little things that will come with time. But improvement is being made, that's for sure.

REGARDLESS of what some of the clowns on here are saying.

NormanPride
11/9/2009, 11:38 AM
Which in and of itself is a testament to Landry Jones, not a joyous look at the effectiveness of our front five.

And no, it doesn't worry me that 5 out of 7 picks went to the safeties. That doesn't guarantee the kid is locking on receivers. Doesn't mean the kid isn't going through his rotations. Doesn't mean the kid throws a bad ball.

Defensive reads take some experience. And that's actually part of the logic of the no huddle. It makes those reads easier by allowing the offense to check a set, adjust for coverage, and put something in that should be able to take advantage of what the defense is showing. That's half of your pre-snap read done for you. From there, it's simply a matter of checking down, something Landry Jones has done pretty dang well in his time under center. Is he as quick recognizing coverage and picking up coverage transitions as Sam Bradford? Hell no, that's why Sam has a Heisman sitting in his trophy case. Has he improved? Sure he has. K-State last week is a classic example. But pressure can kill a young, inexperienced QB's ability to make his checkdowns strictly based on the fact that they don't read nearly as quick as someone who knows it forward and backward.

One thing I noticed is his eyes stayed downfield MUCH more in the Nebraska game than in games past. He had a nasty habit of eyeing the pressure then trying to reacquire his receivers downfield, a nigh impossible task. Now with the pressure he's moving and looking, a welcome change that comes from quality coaching. Once the coaches square up his footwork (which is almost entirely a byproduct of the horrible line play as he used to have a beautiful, but somewhat slow follow through), that's one more thing that'll serve to make him that much better.

In other words, he makes his checks. Slower than Sam and sometimes inexperience bites him on the butt, expecting routes to open that don't, checking off routes that open from transition out of a zone, all little things that will come with time. But improvement is being made, that's for sure.

I think he handled the pressure a bit better, but he still was making one read and checking down. That's all the coaches have asked of him so far, and that's fine. I think Sam was in the same situation his first year. The problem with this game was that Landry was forcing things and making bad first reads. Well, lots of teaching tape on this one...

Pricetag
11/9/2009, 11:54 AM
Heupel had a 4 INT game once. He turned out pretty crappy, didn't he?
Not only that, but Heupel threw some of the most ridiculous INTs ever in '99. I remember him tossing one over his shoulder as he was going down.

SoonerMavrick25
11/9/2009, 12:07 PM

You sound as if you know what your talking about. I hope you are right.

TUSooner
11/9/2009, 12:08 PM
I expect LJ to be an excellent QB in due time, and not a long time, either. But there's bound to be some righteous howling when a guy has such a spendidly sucktacular game as LJ had Saturday night. Time will show that, although he made some ghastly-bad throws, the underlying cause of OUr offensive trouble was stinking O-line play and a shamefully pizs-poor job by KW and staff in preparation, game-planning, and adjusting. And that's on top of the persistent and crippling lack of discipline and focus that KW himself has admitted.

PS - I was away from Oklahma and not internet savvy during most of the Blake years, so I missed a lot of bad football. But Saturday's game was as "Blake-ish" as I'd care to imagine. Yeah, we'll be OK, but for a night we were just ****ing awful with the ball. :)

SoonerMavrick25
11/9/2009, 12:10 PM
Not only that, but Heupel threw some of the most ridiculous INTs ever in '99. I remember him tossing one over his shoulder as he was going down.

Yeah he did throw some, but when we needed a drive... I haven't seen to many better IMHO. Also I don't remember him going TD-less.

TUSooner
11/9/2009, 12:14 PM

Absurd, meet ridiculous. I submit that this is the worst and most irrelevant and inappropriate attempt at an analogy in the histroy of analogies.

Soonersince57
11/9/2009, 12:20 PM
Sam wasn't the normal freshman. Landry seems to be, but I bet he'll be fine.

JohnnyMack
11/9/2009, 12:43 PM
I'm telling you people that his delivery is too slow. It's not his decision making, it's in the execution. He gets away with it most times but they need to work on shortening his release time.

SoonerMavrick25
11/10/2009, 08:44 AM
Yeah, well, Nate also knew that if he went down, a competent back up was ready to come into the game. Not so true with LJ.

I sure hope that Landry isn't playing with this "thought" in the back of his mind....

As a matter of fact I can guarantee you; this thought hasn't crossed his mind at all. You can't play with the fear of getting injured.

SoonerNate
11/10/2009, 09:32 AM
Landry got how many reps during the Summer? Give him some time to work with this new line, new receivers, and Heuple. And until he's experienced, lose the hurry up. But quit hating on Landry. He's not even supposed to be playing yet.

Sooner04
11/10/2009, 09:44 AM
Why all the blind support for Jones? It's an open competition in the spring at quarterback!

A Sooner in Texas
11/10/2009, 09:58 AM
Why all the blind support for Jones? It's an open competition in the spring at quarterback!

Because it's not spring yet, and Landry's our qb NOW. Unless you think we should throw another untested qb in there to see how he fares under game pressure so he can also be thrown under the bus by a lot of fans.