PDA

View Full Version : Here's some things I ask myself

aero
11/8/2009, 05:59 PM
I understand injuries are a huge factor and replacing an offensive line can be challenging. But a lot of teams have injuries, granted maybe not a Heisman winner or a player of Greshams ability. And every team replaces personnel every year or two. Didn't Bama replace their offensive line this year?

So here's the questions I ask myself to try to understand why we are where we are.
Is it talent? Have we hit a dry spell where the recruits aren't panning out? Have TCU, Cincy, Boise St., GA Tech, Iowa, Pitt, Oregon, Houston, Utah, Arizona, OK St, Wisconsin, VaTech, BYU, Oregon St, So. Fla, West Va., Clemson, Stanford all out recruited us? I'm not saying all of these teams could beat us but at this point I would say any of them stood a good chance against us.
Is there another team that is considered elite that has apparently fallen as far as us? I look at Fla, Bama, Texas, USC, Ohio St., LSU, and wonder when the last time one of those teams lost 4 or more games in a season within a 5 year period. It seems like its been a while.
Besides those top teams, how can TCU, Boise, Cincy, continue to year after year to produce quality teams without much dropoff and we can't. I realize their schedules may not be as tough but right now I'm not so sure.
How can we play Texas as tough as we did and lose the games we've lost? Is it motivation?
I don't know what the answers are but I do know that Neb game was a cold shot in the face about where our team is. Injured, inexperienced, unmotivated (does not apply to defense), discombobulated, and not well coached. I'm sorry, but what was up with that last desperation-no-chance-in hell-never practiced-never-thought-about "pass play"? There is no way ANYBODY can defend that.
Are we in a 1 year funk or are we heading to another spell of languish?

East Coast Bias
11/8/2009, 06:52 PM
I am not normally a coach basher but most people agree we have enought talent to win, year in and out. It seems to go with developing talent and giving the players the best chance to win, which goes to coaching in my book. Some good constructive criticism here today rather than the usual sunshine pumping, lets hope the staff does the same soul searching.

Stitch Face
11/8/2009, 06:56 PM
Didn't we play in the NC game last year? To "fall far" I'd say you have to suck for awhile. We've only sucked for, like, two months.

aero
11/8/2009, 07:41 PM
Well, perhaps we have different views of "falling far". From playing in the NC to out of the top 25 IMO is falling pretty far. I didn't say "fall far for so long".

MyT Oklahoma
11/8/2009, 07:56 PM
Considering most of our pregame expectations.. along with most others including the press.. we have fallen flat on our faces this year. Happens.

P.S. Yeah it ht happens and it is our Coach's responsibility to do something about it or take the criticism that follows like a man.

rawlingsHOH
11/8/2009, 08:31 PM
I understand injuries are a huge factor and replacing an offensive line can be challenging. But a lot of teams have injuries, granted maybe not a Heisman winner or a player of Greshams ability. And every team replaces personnel every year or two. Didn't Bama replace their offensive line this year?
So here's the questions I ask myself to try to understand why we are where we are.
Is it talent? Have we hit a dry spell where the recruits aren't panning out? Have TCU, Cincy, Boise St., GA Tech, Iowa, Pitt, Oregon, Houston, Utah, Arizona, OK St, Wisconsin, VaTech, BYU, Oregon St, So. Fla, West Va., Clemson, Stanford all out recruited us? I'm not saying all of these teams could beat us but at this point I would say any of them stood a good chance against us.
Is there another team that is considered elite that has apparently fallen as far as us? I look at Fla, Bama, Texas, USC, Ohio St., LSU, and wonder when the last time one of those teams lost 4 or more games in a season within a 5 year period. It seems like its been a while.
Besides those top teams, how can TCU, Boise, Cincy, continue to year after year to produce quality teams without much dropoff and we can't. I realize their schedules may not be as tough but right now I'm not so sure.
How can we play Texas as tough as we did and lose the games we've lost? Is it motivation?
I don't know what the answers are but I do know that Neb game was a cold shot in the face about where our team is. Injured, inexperienced, unmotivated (does not apply to defense), discombobulated, and not well coached. I'm sorry, but what was up with that last desperation-no-chance-in hell-never practiced-never-thought-about "pass play"? There is no way ANYBODY can defend that.
Are we in a 1 year funk or are we heading to another spell of languish?
Comparisons like that are terrible. We graduated a ton of guys in 2002, yet had an all-world offense in 2003.

We graduated a ton of guys in 2004, and were terrible in 2005. You don't know which way it will go.

aero
11/8/2009, 08:45 PM
I don't think its a terrible comparison at all. Teams replace personnel all the time. You just cited an example of what should be expected of a top tier program. We lost personnel in 02 and still put together a quality team, just as Bama, as well as others, do and have done. It just seems like if you have recruited half decent players, the coaches should be able to put a quality team together. I think the defense is a good example. Yes, we would lose quite a bit without McCoy but I feel we have other players that could compete on defense. I thought Granger was great but we've filled in nicely without him. It's hard to believe we are putting the best offense we can on the field right now. No excuses.

rawlingsHOH
11/8/2009, 08:52 PM
I don't think its a terrible comparison at all. Teams replace personnel all the time. You just cited an example of what should be expected of a top tier program. We lost personnel in 02 and still put together a quality team, just as Bama, as well as others, do and have done. It just seems like if you have recruited half decent players, the coaches should be able to put a quality team together. I think the defense is a good example. Yes, we would lose quite a bit without McCoy but I feel we have other players that could compete on defense. I thought Granger was great but we've filled in nicely without him. It's hard to believe we are putting the best offense we can on the field right now. No excuses.
Just becaue you can list examples of teams overcoming odds, doesn't mean you should expect it. Sometimes things work out, other times they don't.

Nothing to do with excuses. If winning was easy, everyone would be doing it.

aero
11/8/2009, 09:41 PM
Just becaue you can list examples of teams overcoming odds, doesn't mean you should expect it. Sometimes things work out, other times they don't.

Nothing to do with excuses. If winning was easy, everyone would be doing it.

oh. now I understand.