PDA

View Full Version : Sooner Disappointments Since 2000

jdsooner
11/8/2009, 05:08 PM
2001--Sooners lose at home to a terrible OSU squad: 16-13.
2002--Sooners lose early lead and fall to A&M--30-26; Cowboys beat Sooners in Stillwater--38-28. Stoops, we did it again.
2003--Dream season ends in a nightmare--KSU 35-OU 7. Lose to LSU in Sugar Bowl, 21-14.
2004--Sooners breeze to the Title Game and then get waxed. USC 55-OU 19.
2005--TCU 17-10 OU. OU gets hosed in Lubbock. 8-4 record. Lucky to beat Baylor at home in 2 OT.
2006--Refs strike again and we lose to Oregon. Texas beats OU 28-10. Lose to Boise State in Fiesta Bowl in OT.
2007--OU loses to Colorado on last second field goal. Pathetic bowl game against West Virginia as Sooners get embarrassed.
2008--Sooners lose to Texas after leading 14-0. Lucky to reach BCS title game. Play well, but do not keep the vow to finish. Gator defense and critical mistakes limit OU to 14 points.
2009--Nightmare season of injuries. Lose to BYU and Miami by 2 points. Lose to Texas after leading. OU fails to score a touchdown in losing to a mediocre Husker team. Falls out of top 25 with a record of 5-4.

The Good--5 Big 12 Championships, Rose, Cotton, and Holiday Bowl wins. 94 wins and 23 losses. Have not lost at home since 2005.
The Bad--Bowl record is 3-5; lost 4 out of 5 games to Texas; BCS bowl record is 1-5.
The Ugly--Losses to OSU, USC, KSU, TCU, West Virginia, Colorado, BYU and Nebraska.

Conclusion--Bad and ugly performances are beginning to be expected by Sooner fans in big games.

rawlingsHOH
11/8/2009, 05:10 PM
Why?

Indy Sooner
11/8/2009, 05:21 PM
Perhaps to demonstrate the pattern? The conclusion is spot on.

Leroy Lizard
11/8/2009, 05:22 PM
Here's my Top-10 ranking

1. USC (2004) For sheer embarrassment, nothing matches that I can recall (going back to 1971).

2. KSU (2003) We were supposed to blow them out, but got crushed.

3. OSU (2001) The fact that we lost at home is what gets this game the #3 ranking.

4. West Virginia (2007) Terrible performance all around. Didn't look like we even prepared.

5. Baylor (2005) We won, I'll give you that.

6. Texas (2008) Can't lose after leading 14-0 with the talent on that team.

7. Colorado (2007) Another terrible performance from a team expected to roll big.

8. TCU (2005) Not a great team, but losing at home to TCU was hard to swallow.

9. OSU (2002). No excuse, even if played in Stillwater

10. Nebraska (2009) OU was rather mediocre, but still heavily favored. Tons of silly mistakes.

rawlingsHOH
11/8/2009, 05:25 PM
Here's my Top-10 ranking

1. USC (2004) For sheer embarrassment, nothing matches that I can recall (going back to 1971).

2. KSU (2003) We were supposed to blow them out, but got crushed.

3. OSU (2001) The fact that we lost at home is what gets this game the #3 ranking.

4. West Virginia (2007) Terrible performance all around. Didn't look like we even prepared.

5. Baylor (2005) We won, I'll give you that.

6. Texas (2008) Can't lose after leading 14-0 with the talent on that team.

7. Colorado (2007) Another terrible performance from a team expected to roll big.

8. TCU (2005) Not a great team, but losing at home to TCU was hard to swallow.

9. OSU (2002). No excuse, even if played in Stillwater

10. Nebraska (2009) OU was rather mediocre, but still heavily favored. Tons of silly mistakes.

#4 and #8 we lost to a better team. Yes, that TCU team was better than that OU team. Harsh, huh?

#10, 6-point favorite. Hardly "heavily".

jdsooner
11/8/2009, 05:26 PM
Why? Frustration. The talent at times has been much better than the results. We seem to find a way to lose--penalties, poor kicking game, erratic pass defense, turnovers, and silly mistakes. Why? Because OU has lost its swagger.

MyT Oklahoma
11/8/2009, 08:08 PM
Why? Frustration. The talent at times has been much better than the results. We seem to find a way to lose--penalties, poor kicking game, erratic pass defense, turnovers, and silly mistakes. Why? Because OU has lost its swagger.

No it's not the loss of any swagger.. it's the coaching.

sooner ngintunr
11/8/2009, 08:29 PM
What is with all of these stoopid *** threads lately? I can't believe the shiiit I'm reading over here nowadays.

Like the Sooners are the only team to have disappointments throughout the last ten years, give me a freakin break. Swagger? Thats a joke right?

jdsooner
11/9/2009, 12:55 AM
What is with all of these stoopid *** threads lately? I can't believe the shiiit I'm reading over here nowadays.

Like the Sooners are the only team to have disappointments throughout the last ten years, give me a freakin break. Swagger? Thats a joke right?

Hey, if you are happy losing at the end of the season 5 out of 6 years, then my post is stupid. If you are content winning Big 12 Championships and losing bowl games, then this is not the post for you. The Sooners have put themselves in a position to win 3 national championships since 2000 and those trophies are not in Norman. No other team can say that, can they?

To be honest, I find that you have defined your own post, not mine.

Curly Bill
11/9/2009, 01:02 AM

We're not fans of those other teams though are we? We're OU fans, so is it surprising that's the team we talk about?

SGT Park3R
11/9/2009, 01:58 AM
Injuries and inexperience. That's all. True fans stick with their teams regardless. I agree it is disheartening but it is what it is. Now I would rather see the coaches try new things. Seeing how we can probably chalk it up as a 'rebuilding' year. JMHO

SicEmBaylor
11/9/2009, 02:20 AM
Not to quibble, but it was 3 overtimes in 2005.

yermom
11/9/2009, 02:32 AM
maybe you are thinking of one of the Aggie games ;)

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/games/boxscore.cfm?GameID=1094

SicEmBaylor
11/9/2009, 02:35 AM
maybe you are thinking of one of the Aggie games ;)

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/games/boxscore.cfm?GameID=1094

Okay I was wrong. I was there and could have sworn we went to 3OT. Guess not.

Either way the result sucks. ;)

yermom
11/9/2009, 02:39 AM
i forgot you guys came in with the better record :O

Leroy Lizard
11/9/2009, 02:42 AM
Okay I was wrong. I was there and could have sworn we went to 3OT.

It seemed that way to you too?

SicEmBaylor
11/9/2009, 02:59 AM
It seemed that way to you too?

Yeah, but I was way the hell up in the nosebleed section. I mean way the hell up. Like, I could reach up and touch the national championship years. The players all looked like tiny ants scurrying about, so I'm not entirely sure what I was watching. :D

The thing I remember most about that game was the horrible climb up endless ramps to get up into the bleachers. It made me really appreciate our much more humble stadium.

Leroy Lizard
11/9/2009, 03:37 AM
http://www.shapefit.com/

yermom
11/9/2009, 08:37 AM
heh. now that's funny.

SteelClip49
11/9/2009, 09:39 AM
2001--Sooners lose at home to a terrible OSU squad: 16-13.
2002--Sooners lose early lead and fall to A&M--30-26; Cowboys beat Sooners in Stillwater--38-28. Stoops, we did it again.
2003--Dream season ends in a nightmare--KSU 35-OU 7. Lose to LSU in Sugar Bowl, 21-14.
2004--Sooners breeze to the Title Game and then get waxed. USC 55-OU 19.
2005--TCU 17-10 OU. OU gets hosed in Lubbock. 8-4 record. Lucky to beat Baylor at home in 2 OT.
2006--Refs strike again and we lose to Oregon. Texas beats OU 28-10. Lose to Boise State in Fiesta Bowl in OT.
2007--OU loses to Colorado on last second field goal. Pathetic bowl game against West Virginia as Sooners get embarrassed.
2008--Sooners lose to Texas after leading 14-0. Lucky to reach BCS title game. Play well, but do not keep the vow to finish. Gator defense and critical mistakes limit OU to 14 points.
2009--Nightmare season of injuries. Lose to BYU and Miami by 2 points. Lose to Texas after leading. OU fails to score a touchdown in losing to a mediocre Husker team. Falls out of top 25 with a record of 5-4.

The Good--5 Big 12 Championships, Rose, Cotton, and Holiday Bowl wins. 94 wins and 23 losses. Have not lost at home since 2005.
The Bad--Bowl record is 3-5; lost 4 out of 5 games to Texas; BCS bowl record is 1-5.
The Ugly--Losses to OSU, USC, KSU, TCU, West Virginia, Colorado, BYU and Nebraska.

Conclusion--Bad and ugly performances are beginning to be expected by Sooner fans in big games.

Listen you punk, fake Sooner fan....let's point our a few of your errors!

6 Big XII Titles...not 5

2003 the dream season did not quite end in nightmare after losing to Kansas State for the XII Title. If I remember correctly, the Sugar Bowl was the national title game therefore OU's dream season was still intact.

2004 OU didn't exactly breeze through the season to get to the national title game. A tough 12-0 win over a solid Texas squad; a field goal win over the Pokes; a thrilling 7 point win over the Aggroids.

2008 OU was not lucky to make the national title game. They got there because they earned it and because Texas couldn't take care of their crap when at the most opportuned time.

Honestly... the worst regular season loss under Stoops still is the 2001 loss at home to OSU. We were on track to repeat as conference champions and meet Miami in the Rose Bowl.

You said SINCE 2000 and not SINCE the END of 2000 so you have made more errors. 2 BCS wins, Holiday and Cotton wins; BCS record is 2-5.

Considering OU was rebuilding/reloading in 2005, the loss to TCU was not bad. They finished with an 11-1 record and won the MWC.

The only bad loss was the OSU game in 2001.

jdsooner
11/9/2009, 01:54 PM
I have been a Sooner fan since the 60's. As you can clearly see, I am not counting the 2000 season, so your nitpicking about facts is silly. My thread does not show that I am a punk; it is a thread that offers perspective. I would dare say that many Sooner fans are sick of traveling to bowl games and leaving the stadium with another loss. I would dare say that many Sooner fans are tired of hearing that we cannot win the big game.

I was in the stands and I remember that we were all stunned after losing to TCU in 2005. The offense played much like it did against Nebraska. I would call the Colorado game a bad loss and I certainly think that last Saturday's loss qualifies as ugly. After all, Nebraska had lost two home games in a row, one of them to Iowa State. The BYU game was not one I would want to watch again, would you?

I would call losing 2 straight games in 2003, the first time Stoops lost 2 in a row, a nightmare end to a dream season. As I drove back from Kansas City after watching us get pounded 35-7, I felt terrible. We did not deserve to go to the title game after that loss and we did not play well against LSU.

The truth is that OU has not played well on the road in recent years, has not played well in bowl games, and has lost its edge against Texas. Right now Mack Brown owns Bob Stoops, sad to say. I enjoyed it much more when it was the other way around.

We play great at home and this year we had a very difficult schedule at precisely the wrong time because of injuries and inexperience. I think it would really help us to play Texas home and home, but that will never happen.

It is my personal opinion that the 55-19 loss to USC was our worst loss and that our football program has yet to overcome it. I was at that game and stayed until late in the 4th quarter. I also think that we should have defeated Florida last year. We had them on the ropes early and could not get the ball in the end zone. This scenario has been repeated this year against BYU and Nebraska. And we all know that kicking a field goal over 25 yards is a roll of the dice for us. If we had a decent kicker, we could have won the game the other night without ever crossing the goal line!

5-4 sucks and there is no way around it. The bright spot is the number of excellent recruits that have committed to our program. However, the truth is that it is not enough to win Big 12 titles because someone else beats Texas for us.

SteelClip49
11/9/2009, 02:46 PM
As of right now, Brown doesn't own Stoops.

I am sure OU has overcome the loss to USC. The proof is 3 Big XII Titles and a national title appearance.

jdsooner
11/9/2009, 03:00 PM
As of right now, Brown doesn't own Stoops.

I am sure OU has overcome the loss to USC. The proof is 3 Big XII Titles and a national title appearance.

Well, that's the official response.