PDA

View Full Version : This may end up as our worst season ever

landrun
11/8/2009, 01:00 PM
Could you imagine losing to Miami, Texas, Nebraska and OSU ... all in the SAME season?

That would be unbearable. But I would say it now has at least a 50/50 probability of happening.

Then, playing Notre Dame in the Bowl and losing to them would be apocalyptic.

Soonerus
11/8/2009, 01:01 PM
You obviously were not around in the 90's...

landrun
11/8/2009, 01:03 PM
Yes I was. And no doubt if we had this year's schedule when Blake was around, it would have happened. But we've never had a single season where we lost games to ever major rival we have. Ever....

Soonerus
11/8/2009, 01:08 PM
I think we did lose to everybody in the 90's...

JLEW1818
11/8/2009, 01:09 PM
we still go to Lubbock

lost the last two times there

and like i said, what makes you think we will win this time?

we better make FGs to win there

Soonerus
11/8/2009, 01:12 PM
We will win in Lubbock....

JLEW1818
11/8/2009, 01:14 PM
i believe they destroyed Nebraska in Neb

Widescreen
11/8/2009, 01:36 PM

Rus' inside sources strike again.

MyT Oklahoma
11/8/2009, 02:06 PM
Correction.. OSU is not a rival. Just a nuisance.

Curly Bill
11/8/2009, 02:07 PM

No sir.

delhalew
11/8/2009, 02:10 PM
This season is now as bad as anything we endured in the nineties. The only plus is that it is likely just ONE season.

RoaminSooner
11/8/2009, 02:10 PM
3-8 ..... Being blown out by Nebbish by 60. Most painfully unexpected, perhaps but I think the team will find a way to won out. Hopefully, the dissapointment of this season will carry over into the offseason. Let's not also forget we are a splendidly spoiled bunch, with a new qb at saxet we can hope for another big xii run and vindication for the shortcomings of this most painful of seasons. So let's end this season strong and vanquish the vile Pokes when the time comes. Boomer Sooner.

bluedogok
11/8/2009, 06:09 PM
i believe they destroyed Nebraska in Neb
So? Hasn't the past few seasons of college football taught anyone that you can't compare one game to the next? There is no reason why * should have lost to K-State and A&M a couple of years ago, they were both "horrible". There is "no way" that Houston should have lost to UTEP after beating OSU in Stillwater. Stanford beating Oregon..EVERY WEEK is almost a different season unto itself. We can do like 20 years ago an d "so and so beat them so they are this". There is too much parity (some would say mediocrity this season) to say everything should be so cut and dried like in years past. If USC plays Washington 10 times they season they win 8 or 9 of them, they played once, Washington win, that is just the way that it is now.

This season is now as bad as anything we endured in the nineties. The only plus is that it is likely just ONE season.
No it isn't, back then there was very little hope of winning a game, let alone multiple games in a season. I think too many have lost any sort of perspective.

OK2LA
11/8/2009, 06:13 PM
we better make FGs to win there

That is assuming that we make it into FG range.

tommieharris91
11/8/2009, 06:27 PM

OU is night and day different on the road than in Norman this season.

BlownGP
11/8/2009, 07:23 PM
I think we will win in Lubbock. There a more pass happy team and we have guys who can get INT's or atleast bat them down.

Nebraska has no run or pass.. haha, but the only reason we lost was because of our offesne. If jones makes his passes I dont see how we can lose the rest of our games..

Leroy Lizard
11/8/2009, 07:44 PM
If we lose the rest of our games it would probably be our most worst season since WWII. But that isn't going to happen.

PLaw
11/8/2009, 10:06 PM
You obviously were not around in the 90's...

Yeah, but with the mistakes this O-line makes, it's starting to look almost blake-ish.

Bummer

fadada1
11/8/2009, 10:11 PM
remember rushing the field after beating syracuse?? SYRACUSE!!!! looking back, we should've gone after mcnabb for puking on our field. it's a bad season no doubt, but 96-98 was the WORST season.

SPuL
11/8/2009, 10:21 PM
well, I wasn't around during the 90's but I'm pretty sure expectations weren't so high for those years. So it was probably expected that OU would have a dismal year.

This year we came in ranked number 3. Hopes of a trip back to the national title. Then we lose Gresham before we even play a game. Then Bradford before we even play a full half. Then we have two losses, hang our hats on the fact that with Bradford returning we can AT LEAST win the Big 12. But Bradford goes down AGAIN and is gone for the year.

I mean, disappointment wise, it has the be one of the worst seasons for the Sooners.

I haven't witnessed any of the 90's so I can't compare. But this year has definitely been the worst for me in my time as a Sooner fan mostly due to the disappointment factor

bluedogok
11/8/2009, 11:08 PM
...and most thought a #3 ranking was beyond absurd, at least I did with everything this team lost from last season through either graduation or injury. I didn't buy what the talking heads were pushing...but then I tend to be a pessimistic fan, I don't expect them to go undefeated, it isn't the 70's anymore, the game is different.

SPuL
11/9/2009, 12:24 AM
Honestly though man, even with the depleted OU line. If we had Bradford and Gresham healthy we would have been fine. Bradford is smart and would have been able to handle it. PLUS, having Gresham would have helped our current goal line woes.

I have faith in Landry

soonerboy_odanorth
11/9/2009, 12:47 AM
Yes I was. And no doubt if we had this year's schedule when Blake was around, it would have happened. But we've never had a single season where we lost games to ever major rival we have. Ever....

BWAAAA HA HA HA HA HAAAA!!!

Dumb****,

We lost to our rivals... and our "not-rivals" in the Blake years.

You mean you don't remember when the Patrick Fletcher victory over Iowa State was a good win!?!?!?

HEH!

Wow.

I've been accused of being a pessimistic ***... But some of you guys need to down a bottle of Drano and clean the **** out of your brains.

Again.. Wow.

misplaced_sooner
11/9/2009, 04:24 AM
During the Blake years, mediocrity was expected. It is no longer expected and thats why it hurts so much for us fans right now.

At least the Cowboys are winning, maybe a Super Bowl or at least a playoff win would perk me up.

SGT Park3R
11/9/2009, 06:03 AM
I'm not giving up on OU. But I'm not going to be horribly surprised if we happen to not win out.

King Barry's Back
11/9/2009, 06:28 AM
How historically bad is this team? We've already lost four games -- putting us in competition with 1999 as Stoops's worst team.

If 2009 drops another game, I am saying they're worse than 99. Even assuming we win-out from here, given that the 1999 team was full of heart, desire, and passion, I'm saying they were better than this spoiled and underperforming bunch that still could turn in a losing record.

We'll just have to wait and see.

I'm seeing a 2-1 finish (with fingers crossed) and a trip to San Antonio.

Things could be worse, though.

Is this the worse team since WWII? That's crazy talk.

All three of John Blake's teams were worse than this team, along with Schnellenberger's .500 effort. Both of Gomer Jones's two teams, especially his last team (1965 went 3-7) were probably worse, and both Chuck Fairbanks and Jim McKenzie coached 6-4 teams. Bud Wilkinson's 1960 team (3-6-1) was probably the most shockingly bad Sooner team of the modern era.

And while I've got soonerstats.com opened up, let's not overlook Bud Wilkinson's 1961 team, which went 5-5. (At least they got better. THey opened the season 0-5, when Wilkinson famously predicted that "They won't lose again." ANd they didn't.)

The point is, even Oklahoma has bad teams sometimes. I guess we are going to be much better next year, but we better find some offensive linemen.

KRYPTON
11/9/2009, 10:36 AM
Nothing like 1996 is ever "expected" by an Oklahoma football fan. Nothing. We could end up 6-6 this year and it would far surpass 1996, UT overtime win included.