PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or did Landry look like he didn't give a damn...

Soonerus
11/8/2009, 12:00 PM
...No spirit, no pizazz, no moxie, no swagger...

achiro
11/8/2009, 12:32 PM
I had a conversation earlier this week(before this game) and we were talking about Landry being a decent qb but I just wasn't seeing that fire in his eyes. He has a good arm but not real accurate. I do hope that the accuracy will come along but worry that the fire will not. In other words he is a decent "system quarterback" but not a star.

If he doesn't improve in those leadership areas, those make the play or else mentalities, would Stoops start someone else? I have a hard time believing that Stoops would go to number 2 unless there is an injury.

Curly Bill
11/8/2009, 12:34 PM
I think we would very much like to save Drew Allen's redshirt.

This spring though, the QB competition should be thrown wide open, and I imagine it will be.

CatfishSooner
11/8/2009, 12:36 PM
Landry had the 'deer in the headlights' look all night...Bewildered!

rainiersooner
11/8/2009, 12:36 PM
Yeah, it was almost as if he was trying too hard to be calm and not rattled. Argh. Just argh.

SGT Park3R
11/8/2009, 12:39 PM
Landry looking over at the sideline-"uhh no not that play, not that one, oh $hit I don't even know what that play is...ok ok shotgun...swing it to Murray again. Got it."

OUmd
11/8/2009, 12:43 PM
Has Sam ever looked that way?

The only QB I have seen in the Stoops era to ever really have "spirit, pizazz, moxie, or swagger" was Bomar. We know how that panned out. As much as I hate Tebow, his excitement is contagious and helpful in the right circumstances. However, most enduring QBs usually are very calm and sometimes look like the "don't give a damn".

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/8/2009, 12:44 PM
Yeah, Landry had a rough game. But not as bad as the O-line. Or the receivers, except Murray and Broyles. How bout that tight end play? woo-hoo!

What do you expect of a freshman having to salvage a game with 0 help on the road, at night, in front of a fired up Nebraska crowd on TV.

However, LJ is not the problem!

Soonerus
11/8/2009, 12:47 PM
Yeah, Landry had a rough game. But not as bad as the O-line. Or the receivers, except Murray and Broyles. How bout that tight end play? woo-hoo!

What do you expect of a freshman having to salvage a game with 0 help on the road, at night, in front of a fired up Nebraska crowd on TV.

I expected more but I still think Landry has some promise...I have not given up on him...

soonerfan69
11/8/2009, 12:50 PM
He's a freshman good grief give the guy some slack he wasn't even supposed to play this year he's learning on the fly

Soonerus
11/8/2009, 12:52 PM
He's a freshman good grief give the guy some slack he wasn't even supposed to play this year he's learning on the fly

slack given but one more pathetic performance slack be taken away...

IronHorseSooner
11/8/2009, 01:03 PM
I really can't blame the kid. Heck, if the last thoughts going through your head are:

1) Why in the world are we running THAT play?

or

2) I might get killed because my OL stinks.

then you might end up throwing 5 INTs as well. The reason his passes were high were due to being anxious. A lot of that had to do with anticipating the rush, and having to run for his life. To me, every OL on that team needs to do some serious soul searching about what they are doing. IMHO, NO OL, not counting Eldridge, has earned their scholly this year. NONE! Habern, I think will be a good center, but even he has not lived up to his potential. The biggest competition this spring and fall needs to be at OL. Nobody should come into camp thinking that they have a position. If guys like Irwin, Woods, and Williams can come in and surpass the guys we have now, so be it. Good OL play is infectious through the entire team. It gives the backs holes, and the QB time. It gives the receivers time to run GOOD routes. It can keep your defense off of the field with solid drives, and gives your kickers enough time to get good kicks off. It can also make a coach look like a genius (see Wilson last year, and Mangino in 2000).

mightysooner
11/8/2009, 01:12 PM
Landry had the 'deer in the headlights' look all night...Bewildered!

Well he's a freshmen who's been thrown into a stupid and confusing scheme. He shouldn't be running the same offense we had last year with the damn hurry up offense and the "check with me" at the line nor should that craptastic young o-line. He needs to be able to huddle his players, settle everybody down, and get a snap count. This is why we have so many false starts, confused blocking schemes with missed assignments, incorrect routes etc., These young guys have no business running this scheme.

GottaHavePride
11/8/2009, 01:37 PM
...No spirit, no pizazz, no moxie, no swagger...

I was about to say I hate 50% of the words in this post.

Then I realize I hate the word "no" too.

So, a new record. I hate 100% of the words in this post.

:D

rawlingsHOH
11/8/2009, 01:38 PM

Exactly. Same was always said about Sam, but only after losses. LOL

MyT Oklahoma
11/8/2009, 01:41 PM
I really can't blame the kid. Heck, if the last thoughts going through your head are:

1) Why in the world are we running THAT play?

or

2) I might get killed because my OL stinks.

then you might end up throwing 5 INTs as well. The reason his passes were high were due to being anxious. A lot of that had to do with anticipating the rush, and having to run for his life. To me, every OL on that team needs to do some serious soul searching about what they are doing. IMHO, NO OL, not counting Eldridge, has earned their scholly this year. NONE! Habern, I think will be a good center, but even he has not lived up to his potential. The biggest competition this spring and fall needs to be at OL. Nobody should come into camp thinking that they have a position. If guys like Irwin, Woods, and Williams can come in and surpass the guys we have now, so be it. Good OL play is infectious through the entire team. It gives the backs holes, and the QB time. It gives the receivers time to run GOOD routes. It can keep your defense off of the field with solid drives, and gives your kickers enough time to get good kicks off. It can also make a coach look like a genius (see Wilson last year, and Mangino in 2000).

^^ This. Plus the other posts along the same line. Landry had an off night and we've got so many other problems this year besides his having an off night.

OKC-SLC
11/8/2009, 02:33 PM

The only QB I have seen in the Stoops era to ever really have "spirit, pizazz, moxie, or swagger" was Bomar. We know how that panned out. As much as I hate Tebow, his excitement is contagious and helpful in the right circumstances. However, most enduring QBs usually are very calm and sometimes look like the "don't give a damn".

True. It's important for the QB to appear level headed and calm to the teammates.

jdsooner
11/8/2009, 03:45 PM

Are you related to him or something??:confused:

bluedogok
11/8/2009, 04:03 PM
That is the nature of a QB-centric offense, if the the QB is off, then the whole offense is off. Now that can be due to many factors, the lack of blocking by the o-line can be a cause, lack of confidence in receivers can be another. It was an off night...Didn't Sam had an "off day" at Colorado a couple of years ago which resulted in a loss.

rawlingsHOH
11/8/2009, 04:08 PM
That is the nature of a QB-centric offense, if the the QB is off, then the whole offense is off. Now that can be due to many factors, the lack of blocking by the o-line can be a cause, lack of confidence in receivers can be another. It was an off night...Didn't Sam had an "off day" at Colorado a couple of years ago which resulted in a loss.

He had a VERY off day at Iowa State that year. Worst game of his career. But the surrounding cast picked him up!

bluedogok
11/8/2009, 04:14 PM
Well, the "surrounding cast" doesn't seem to be in place this season.

oudivesherpa
11/8/2009, 04:21 PM
I think we would very much like to save Drew Allen's redshirt.

This spring though, the QB competition should be thrown wide open, and I imagine it will be.

I agree. I'm not a Landry hater, I think he has potential, but I think there should be an open competition for QB this spring. I just don't know how amenable to change is Stoops? I know Gundy at OSU went through a lot of grief in moving to Zac Robinson, but it was the right choice.

jkjsooner
11/8/2009, 05:34 PM
If he doesn't improve in those leadership areas, those make the play or else mentalities, would Stoops start someone else?

I guess we will disagree on what leadership means. Stoops wants a QB who is cool under pressure. Sometimes that may seem like he doesn't have fire but I can guarantee you he wants to win more than any of us do.

The whole Tim Tebow leadership thing is a recipe for disaster. If things go bad Tebow would lose his team throwing those temper tantrums of his. I hate it that that is being portrayed as a sign of leadership.

Let's see how much of a leader Tebow is in the NFL....