PDA

View Full Version : Drew Allen

CatfishSooner
11/8/2009, 11:54 AM
Will he play vs. A&M?

*sorry if this has already been posted--too lazy to look...

sooner ngintunr
11/8/2009, 11:56 AM
Really??!! Of course not.

IronSooner
11/8/2009, 11:59 AM
Because burning his redshirt would somehow save our season?

CatfishSooner
11/8/2009, 12:00 PM
We need to start thinking about next year...and I don't think Landry is the guy...

Soonerus
11/8/2009, 12:02 PM
I think we should start Calvin Steves against A&M...

sooner ngintunr
11/8/2009, 12:03 PM
We need to start thinking about next year...and I don't think Landry is the guy...

why and why.

One bad game.

CatfishSooner
11/8/2009, 12:03 PM

Does he have eligibility remaining?

Soonerus
11/8/2009, 12:04 PM
Does he have eligibility remaining?

4 years and he already has a helmet...

CatfishSooner
11/8/2009, 12:12 PM
4 years and he already has a helmet...

I say suit him up...

In all seriousness--does no one else think we need to start thinking about next year and thus need to get Drew Allen some snaps to see what he can do????

Zbird
11/8/2009, 12:37 PM

Wait a minute...... Eldridge hasn't been tried at QB.
:D :D

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/8/2009, 12:39 PM

Landry is not the problem. Atrocious line, 1 good receiver, 0 tight ends...that is the problem.

The only problem Landry had last night was he finally looked a bit like......a freshman. Lincolm crowd was loud and persistent. Brought back some memories.

My Opinion Matters
11/8/2009, 12:40 PM
Sucky thread sucks.

kevpks
11/8/2009, 12:51 PM
Just look at the body of work people. The guy is 4-2 as a starter and got thrown into the fire this year. We'll get it together against A&M. My biggest concern is that we recruit at least two O-linemen from the Juco ranks that can come in and compete for starting time and at the very least add some depth.

CatfishSooner
11/8/2009, 01:07 PM
Landry is not the problem. Atrocious line, 1 good receiver, 0 tight ends...that is the problem.

The only problem Landry had last night was he finally looked a bit like......a freshman. Lincolm crowd was loud and persistent. Brought back some memories.

Look I'm not saying Landry is the only problem (we have LOTS of problems), but you are in denial if you don't think he is part of the problem.

Landry has not proven himself enough to just be given the QB spot the rest of the year or next year--- give Drew Allen a shot! I don't think he could do any worse...

PDXsooner
11/8/2009, 01:10 PM
well, if he can't beat landry out as the backup.....then i hope not.

JLEW1818
11/8/2009, 01:13 PM
if Drew plays at all this season, Bob really has hit the panic button

don't get me wrong, their is still stuff to play for.

but why burn his RS??? why? we can't win the big 12, and we can't win the national title....

CatfishSooner
11/8/2009, 01:15 PM
well, if he can't beat landry out as the backup.....then i hope not.

That's true :O

I guess it's just the old deal where the back up QB is the most popular player---I mean Drew probably wouldn't do any better, but do you really think he could do much worse? IT would have been nice to see something else.

PDXsooner
11/8/2009, 01:34 PM
just take this season for what it is -- a loss. college football is like this, a couple of key injuries and you go in the tank. let's just hope they come out ready to compete next year.

GottaHavePride
11/8/2009, 01:47 PM
In "thinking about the future" I'd rather keep all of Drew Allen's eligibility in case we need it later on, rather than wasting a year of it on this season. We're ina down year, and next year won't be that much better.

I'm just saying, don't go into next year expecting a national chapmionship caliber team. Next year we should be aiming for maybe winning the Big XII South. More than that next year will be a bonus with what we've got returning on o-line.

rawlingsHOH
11/8/2009, 01:51 PM
I'll go out on a limb and predict Landry will end up being the better QB, than Allen.

Just my hunch.

MamaMia
11/8/2009, 02:10 PM
Will he play vs. A&M?

*sorry if this has already been posted--too lazy to look...Wouldn't that be like spraying whipped cream on a cow pattie?

SoonerTrain
11/8/2009, 02:15 PM
Will he play vs. A&M?

*sorry if this has already been posted--too lazy to look...

No way! Save him for the future. Our "now" is beyond help. LJ will get it worked out.

FaninAma
11/8/2009, 02:16 PM
why and why.

One bad game.

No it's not. He hasn't played well in any
of OU's losses. He played poorly in the
Texas game and he played horrifically
last night.

Blues1
11/8/2009, 02:27 PM
Drew Allen Should be Getting "Some" Playing Time Now....

The Idea one Starting QB can make it though a Season without getting hurt is Insane...Haven't We already Learned that...?

There's No Experence Like *REAL Game playing Time*...The Sooner you get it "The Better"

Idaho State was a Perfect time to let the youngster get some Real Reps in a Real Game....Once again Jmho....

prrriiide
11/8/2009, 02:42 PM
Look I'm not saying Landry is the only problem (we have LOTS of problems), but you are in denial if you don't think he is part of the problem.

Landry has not proven himself enough to just be given the QB spot the rest of the year or next year--- give Drew Allen a shot! I don't think he could do any worse...

OK, I had to look at the timestamp on your post to make sure you didn't post this after a bottle of rum last night.

So, since we've established that you weren't drunk when you posted it, I have to ask the obvious question: are you out of you mind?

Landry has looked VERY good in all of the games in which he has played except last night. And before some of you jump on me for saying that: Landry has looked very good. Better than half of his incompletions prior to the texass game came from receiver mistakes and drops. Last night, 3 of his int's were TIPPED BALLS. Yes, I know that at least one of those tips was Landry's fault for throwing it too high. The killer one that was almost a pick-6 was just a helluva play by the defender. I'll guarantee you that Sam would have thrown that same pass, and he would have had that same pass picked. Give credit where it is due: that was a GREAT defensive play.

Is it possible that Nebraska having 2 first round picks for DTs had anything to do with Landry's performance? Suh and Crick made sure we didn't get ANYTHING up the middle. They were constantly in Landry's grill. That is one of the most ferocious defenses I have seen in YEARS. As good as ours is, Nebraska's D doesn't pale at all in comparison. Under that kind of relentless pressure (made worse by Patton's Patsies), I daresay Sam would have thrown AT LEAST 3 picks. That kind of pressure leads to mistakes, disrupted timing, off-speed passes, and general mayhem. Pressure Roethliesburger like that and he'll have a terrible game. Pressure ANY QB like that, and they'll have an awful performance.

Landry made some freshman mistakes. It was bound to happen, and I can't believe it took this long. Sam had a really crappy game at CU a couple of years ago and we lost. Were you ready to throw him under the bus then? Keep in mind that CU was nowhere NEAR the team we played last night.

Landry is going to be an EXCELLENT QB for OU. There are 100 other D-1 fan bases that would give their head coach's nutsack to have him, including Nebraska. I'm sure Allen will be good at some point down the road. But guess what, chief: HE HASN"T EVER TAKEN A GAME SNAP AT THIS POINT!

It's what is known in SEC country as buying a pig in a poke.

How about Trent Williams: he had a horrific game last night. He had 2 false start penalties, one of which came on a crucial 4th and 1 play. He had a personal foul. He was beaten like a rented mule repeatedly around the end. So by your logic, he should take a seat and let a freshman with no game experience protect the QB's blindside.

OKC-SLC
11/8/2009, 02:58 PM
This thread sucks.

ouduckhunter
11/8/2009, 03:56 PM
just take this season for what it is -- a loss. college football is like this, a couple of key injuries and you go in the tank. let's just hope they come out ready to compete next year.

I'm with you on this! At least a few other perennial power houses are having their own issues this year like USC, LSU, and of course ESPN, crowd, and God's favorite, Notre Dame! Jeesh ND's had issues for almost a decade now!

The season sucks no getting around it, but I hope that the coaches don't make any bad decisions right now that could hurt us in the future.

jdsooner
11/8/2009, 04:31 PM
Start Josh Nimmo--the pride of Ponca City!

bluedogok
11/8/2009, 04:42 PM
You don't burn a redshirt with only three games left in a 5-4 season unless there is no other option.

delhalew
11/8/2009, 04:53 PM
This is really stupid. No way we burn a redshirt. Was that a pathetic performance? Yes, but you can't lay it SOLELY at Landry's feet.

As some said, look at what Trent Williams did last night. That was disgusting.

Last night was a perfect ****storm of embarrassing under-achievement on the part of every member of the offense, with the exception of Murry,Broyles and Brown.

The_Red_Patriot
11/8/2009, 05:18 PM

http://originalhoopla.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/sa-ideopraxist-demotivational_poster-stupidity-v1-1.jpg

And you sir just got the Gold!!!

But your right...it was all Landry's fault last night....and our defense is horrible and Brent Venables should be fired to right?

TXBOOMER
11/8/2009, 07:33 PM
Don't you guys think if Drew was better he would be the guy now. These coaches get to check out their skills in practice.

CatfishSooner
11/8/2009, 08:10 PM
So everyone here is convinced Landry is the guy? BWAHAHAHAHA

Landry is not the guy.

Drew may be the guy...he just hasn't gotten a shot yet.

Give the boy a shot!

Y'all need to think outside the box & quit actin like burnin Drew's redshirt would even matter...

sooner ngintunr
11/8/2009, 08:22 PM
Even if it didn't matter, it would still be ****in lame to burn a RS solely to bench Landry.

Bro, give it a rest.

rawlingsHOH
11/8/2009, 08:24 PM
So everyone here is convinced Landry is the guy? BWAHAHAHAHA

Landry is not the guy.

Drew may be the guy...he just hasn't gotten a shot yet.

Give the boy a shot!

Y'all need to think outside the box & quit actin like burnin Drew's redshirt would even matter...

Absolutely mind numbing.

SPuL
11/8/2009, 10:29 PM
wow what a stupid thread.

We got like what? 3 games left? and you want to waste a year of Allen's eligibility on that?

idiot.

ocsooner
11/8/2009, 10:36 PM

I think we should start Josh. Go looking for a game or two of eligibility that we have left. No, wait, we could get Jason back on a medical redshirt (or something - he had two bad knees).

Let Landry have his bad game and move on.

tulsaoilerfan
11/8/2009, 10:42 PM
So what happens if Landry gets hurt? IF Drew Allen should somehow beat out Landry next year and has 2 good years, he's probably gone to the NFL anyway

Eielson
11/8/2009, 10:46 PM
why and why.

One bad game.

One bad game? Just ONE? Perhaps we put the blame elsewhere, but he hasn't stepped up in a single big game.

Perhaps some have forgotten, but there was talk of Jones not being the backup starting the season. That would've meant that Allen was looking better than Jones, or at least arguably on his level. I've just assumed that there wasn't much of a difference and so they decided to save/redshirt Allen. He seemed to do alright, but that awful performance yesterday (that you can't put on the line) may have the staff rethinking things.

But no, I don't think we should. Nothing can save our season, even if we won all our remaining game by 50.

kelloggOUballa
11/8/2009, 10:48 PM
dang, so now we're already putting Drew in the NFL? I have been saying to get Drew reps for HIS sake ever since Sam got hurt. For his sake, I mean, because there is a pretty good freshman coming in behind him next year, and it would give Drew a head start to have real game experience. Without it, there is a chance that Drew may never see the field at OU with Landry and Blake Bell competing against him for the job. Just my opinion.

ocsooner
11/8/2009, 10:52 PM
dang, so now we're already putting Drew in the NFL? I have been saying to get Drew reps for HIS sake ever since Sam got hurt. For his sake, I mean, because there is a pretty good freshman coming in behind him next year, and it would give Drew a head start to have real game experience. Without it, there is a chance that Drew may never see the field at OU with Landry and Blake Bell competing against him for the job. Just my opinion.

Does that mean that he is going to transfer out next year when he doesn't get the top (or backup) job? We keep loosing QBs to other schools because we won't play them. Seems like a waste of a scholarship. That would be kind of frustrating.

I guess I miss guys like ENA who stick with the school they picked even if he didn't get the job he wanted. He ended up getting the QB job, but got some great playing time at receiver while he was at it.

Not to mention, he got to play for the greatest team in history!

sooner ngintunr
11/8/2009, 10:55 PM
One bad game? Just ONE? Perhaps we put the blame elsewhere, but he hasn't stepped up in a single big game.

He has played above average in every game this year except last night. He has actually looked VG in certain games this year. I call it stepping up, you might just have higher standards.:D

Sam looked the same against Baylor. (above average)

The QB position is not our problem this year. IMSO.

kelloggOUballa
11/8/2009, 11:19 PM
Does that mean that he is going to transfer out next year when he doesn't get the top (or backup) job? We keep loosing QBs to other schools because we won't play them. Seems like a waste of a scholarship. That would be kind of frustrating.

I guess I miss guys like ENA who stick with the school they picked even if he didn't get the job he wanted. He ended up getting the QB job, but got some great playing time at receiver while he was at it.

Not to mention, he got to play for the greatest team in history!

I was in no way saying that he will transfer, I have no idea what Drew's intentions are, or what kind of a guy he is. I'm just saying, there is a chance that he may not get much playing time. Or, he could be the next Sam Bradford. You never know. I just think he would benefit by getting some real snaps before next year. Landry should be the starter heading into the Spring, but I think it should be semi-open. I would love to have all three QBs stick it out for the whole four to five years of their eligibility!

Eielson
11/8/2009, 11:31 PM
He has played above average in every game this year except last night.

You have a low opinion of average if he has played above that in every game. Texas, BYU, Miami? Above average in all of those?

rawlingsHOH
11/9/2009, 12:12 AM
You have a low opinion of average if he has played above that in every game. Texas, BYU, Miami? Above average in all of those?
He certainly played well against Miami.

Judging him on BYU, and to a lesser extent, Texas, is a pretty hard, considering he didn't get the 1st team reps during practice.

batonrougesooner
11/9/2009, 12:17 AM
I want to remember this thread and bring it back up two years from now when Jones is sitting in NYC as a Heisman candidate.

Based upon recent history, that is just as likely to happen as is him proving to be a flop.

CatfishSooner
11/9/2009, 12:30 AM
I was in no way saying that he will transfer, I have no idea what Drew's intentions are, or what kind of a guy he is. I'm just saying, there is a chance that he may not get much playing time. Or, he could be the next Sam Bradford. You never know. I just think he would benefit by getting some real snaps before next year. Landry should be the starter heading into the Spring, but I think it should be semi-open. I would love to have all three QBs stick it out for the whole four to five years of their eligibility!

Semi-open in the spring!!!! Are you F'n serious???? :rolleyes:

fossil
11/9/2009, 09:30 AM

Wow! Dude, seriously?? This one game and Landry Jones is no good in your book? You gotta be kidding me! I bet you don't wear a pair of underwear more t han once before changing!!