PDA

View Full Version : What is Stoops worst loss ???

Soonerus
11/8/2009, 11:22 AM
Nebraska, BYU, Boise, West Viginia, Texas, USC....so many candidates...

Harry Beanbag
11/8/2009, 11:37 AM
USC, without question. Of course the West Virginia game was the only time I've ever just turned off the TV and stopped watching an OU sporting event due to pure disgust.

wishbonesooner
11/8/2009, 11:37 AM
OSU in Norman in '01.

The_Red_Patriot
11/8/2009, 11:46 AM
Until last night I was certain it was USC.

But the crap fest last night got me thinking. That USC team was practically an NFL team but the Nebraska team we got shut down by last night was craptastic!!!!!

Soonerus
11/8/2009, 11:48 AM
Isn't it a sad state when we have to consider worst losses...

CatfishSooner
11/8/2009, 11:51 AM
very sad state rus... :(

IronSooner
11/8/2009, 11:56 AM
USC.

Losing to osu in '01 was embarassing. Losing to WVU without Slaton or a head coach was almost more embarassing. Losing to a team with under 200 yrds of total offense and something like 7 first downs is pretty damn embarassing.

But losing to USC, with all the talent we had, takes the cake. Last night we were inept. But at least we kept playing, however pathetically. Against USC we quit. To me there is never an excuse to just flat out quit. I've never seen an OU team do that and I hope I never do again. Our players now seem more incapable than anything else. Poorly coached, poorly focused.

soonerspiff
11/8/2009, 11:59 AM

Who has to consider worst losses??? Those losses you mentioned spanned the course of 9 years. Get a ****ing grip.

I'm just as upset about the game as anyone, but some of you people are pathetic with your doom and gloom bullsh!t.

We lost. We're a 4 loss team, which shouldn't happen at this point in the season, but it did. We have the potential to finish 9-4. A good ****ing season for any fan that is apparently not a sooner. The amount of spoiled children in our fanbase drives me crazy sometimes...

CatfishSooner
11/8/2009, 12:02 PM
Who has to consider worst losses??? Those losses you mentioned spanned the course of 9 years. Get a ****ing grip.

I'm just as upset about the game as anyone, but some of you people are pathetic with your doom and gloom bullsh!t.

We lost. We're a 4 loss team, which shouldn't happen at this point in the season, but it did. We have the potential to finish 9-4. A good ****ing season for any fan that is apparently not a sooner. The amount of spoiled children in our fanbase drives me crazy sometimes...

BAD loss....grip it and rip it

Soonerus
11/8/2009, 12:06 PM

Is this Lee Corso ???

CatfishSooner
11/8/2009, 12:16 PM
No...it LOU HOLTZZZth

rawlingsHOH
11/8/2009, 01:36 PM
West Virginia isn't even in the discussion.

They were flat out better and more talented than that condensed Sooner squad suited up, that night.

No Granger, no Harris, no Smith, no Holmes, no Kelly, no Murray, 1/2 English, etc, etc.

JLEW1818
11/8/2009, 01:38 PM
USC by far

not even a question

MamaMia
11/8/2009, 01:43 PM
Definitely TGOWWDNS, with this embarrassing display from last night running a close second. :o.

MyT Oklahoma
11/8/2009, 01:48 PM
USC.

Losing to osu in '01 was embarassing. Losing to WVU without Slaton or a head coach was almost more embarassing. Losing to a team with under 200 yrds of total offense and something like 7 first downs is pretty damn embarassing.

But losing to USC, with all the talent we had, takes the cake. Last night we were inept. But at least we kept playing, however pathetically. Against USC we quit. To me there is never an excuse to just flat out quit. I've never seen an OU team do that and I hope I never do again. Our players now seem more incapable than anything else. Poorly coached, poorly focused.

Yep. I'm a man because I watched the whole thing and our players did quit. That was the most disappointing thing of all.. an OU team that quit. So much more disappointing than any other Stoop's era loss.

soonergirlNeugene
11/8/2009, 02:47 PM
lol does it make me a man b/c I was THERE and sat through the entire debacle next to obnoxious USC fans?

Booing Ashley Simpson at halftime was the only bright spot in that trip.

En_Fuego
11/8/2009, 04:39 PM
You can look at this in a different way too. USC then, could have beat a lot of Pro teams. They were expected to win. Texas has always had a fairly decent team. In my opinion, the top 4 would be;

#1 Boise State
#2 Nebraska 09
#3 USC
#4 KSU in the Big 12 Championship

rawlingsHOH
11/8/2009, 04:57 PM
You can look at this in a different way too. USC then, could have beat a lot of Pro teams. They were expected to win. Texas has always had a fairly decent team. In my opinion, the top 4 would be;

#1 Boise State
#2 Nebraska 09
#3 USC
#4 KSU in the Big 12 Championship

A couple years from now numbers 1, 3, and 4 will still be on that list.

#2, a classic Sunday afternoon knee-jerk.

tanjou
11/8/2009, 04:59 PM
USC was the worst. The talent was amazing, the only reason for losing was poor preparation/coaching.

bluedogok
11/8/2009, 05:11 PM
USC hands down, I hadn't seen that poor of an OU performance since the Blake/Smellsofboubon days.

The 2009 team just isn't a good team, too many injuries in critical positions and too many players gone from last years team. It was ridiculous to me that so many had such super high expectations this season.

Okie35
11/8/2009, 05:22 PM
USC by far

not even a question

Agreed. That game went downhill from the first "muffed" punt.

SoonerShark
11/8/2009, 05:31 PM
OSU in Norman in '01.

#1) We could not get one yard for a touchdown earlier in the game. This game was my first thought, too. Kept us out of the 2001 BCS championship game. Offensive team made us lose. #2) Colorado in 2007 with Sam at the helm probably kept us out of the BCS championship game, not the Tech loss with Sam hurt. Whole team loss. #3) A&M in 2002 where we made a freshman A&M QB a passing star. We scored enough to win, but gave up too many. Defensive loss. At least the OSU loss later that year meant less since they would have loved to have given us our sole loss.

SoonerShark
11/8/2009, 05:32 PM

Nope. Most team's losses don't matter in the larger scheme of things.

OUmillenium
11/8/2009, 10:00 PM
1. Mike Leach to TT
2. Mark Mangino to GayU
3. Mike Stoops to AZ

The farther we get from this era, the less toughness we have, the less sharp we look on special teams, the worse our BCS record gets, and the more Soonerfans get pizt.

TUSooner
11/8/2009, 10:14 PM

We could be Tulane (my alma mater) - looking for their worst loss is like looking for the worst grain of sand at the beach. At least we have a limited pool of candidates.

Salt City Sooner
11/8/2009, 10:17 PM
OSU '01 by far. Am I disappointed with the WAY that OU lost to USC? Sure. It was absolutely a miserable night, but it was against the national champions. Personally, I was 100x more disappointed with letting a 4-7 team (whose only other wins that year were against Louisiana Tech, Northwestern State, (a 1-AA team), & Baylor) waltz into Norman & come out with a win.

TXBOOMER
11/8/2009, 10:21 PM
USC
Boise State
West Virginia
KSU
2009 Neb was one of his worse regular season losses.

TUSooner
11/8/2009, 10:31 PM
In the USC game, we just ran into a very talented team which happened to be hitting on all cylinders. Bad and ugly, but not the worst

Boise or WVA had to be the worst because we played so far below our potential and we did it in the spotlight. People talk about the hook & lateral and the statue of liberty play vs Boise, but we lost that game in the first 55 minutes when we played like crumbly dog turds - dull, slow witted, outhustled and evidently unmotivated. Against WVA, we again got out hustled and out-motivated and played like poop, but for the full 60 minutes.

Laying an egg in the national spotlight against an underdog is worse than a beatdown by a better team.

Last night was bad because the offense took the week off.

bluedogok
11/8/2009, 11:14 PM
To me the worst thing about the USC game was that it looked like the team gave up, they looked like a softball team waiting for the run rule to kick in. I don't think the program has ever recovered from that, it seemed to shake the foundation of the program.

Right now, OU seems like a classic bully, if they get the first hit in on the opponent they keep hitting, if they get hit first they seem to crumble. It seems that in any tight game they just don't respond like the teams of the past. I don't really like what I have seen the past few seasons and wish it would change for the better.

OKC-SLC
11/8/2009, 11:45 PM
When the hell did this alleged USC game occur?

OUAlumni1990
11/9/2009, 12:11 AM
USC, although last night definitely ranked up there in the top 5. I did not enjoy KState 2003. Boise State was embarassing for me even though it was an exciting game. The fact that it was Boise...

yermom
11/9/2009, 12:43 AM
i think the most painful inept game i watched was the UCLA game

at least last night the offense was getting somewhere to fail. in Pasadena, they never got started.

the TCU game is probably next

the '01 OSU game we lost at the end, and the defense should have carried us. how many times does anyone kick 2 50+ yard FGs? then the late go ahead TD sealed it

it was more embarrassing on paper than it was a bad loss, really. but the offense was pretty ineffectual. the '02 loss was much worse.

USC hurt the most, but i don't think it was the worst. they were as lucky as we were bad that night, i think

Curly Bill
11/9/2009, 01:09 AM
1. Mike Leach to TT
2. Mark Mangino to GayU
3. Mike Stoops to AZ

The farther we get from this era, the less toughness we have, the less sharp we look on special teams, the worse our BCS record gets, and the more Soonerfans get pizt.

Lotta truth in that.

MyT Oklahoma
11/9/2009, 01:18 AM
lol does it make me a man b/c I was THERE and sat through the entire debacle next to obnoxious USC fans?

Booing Ashley Simpson at halftime was the only bright spot in that trip.

Nope that was merely a figure of speech. Your actually sitting next to USC fans at the game simply means that your out the money for the trip while I was able to be throughly disgusted while merely sitting at home. :rolleyes:

misplaced_sooner
11/9/2009, 04:18 AM
USC, without question. Of course the West Virginia game was the only time I've ever just turned off the TV and stopped watching an OU sporting event due to pure disgust.

x2. Only live OU game I turned off and went to bed.....a total dumpster fire.

misplaced_sooner
11/9/2009, 04:20 AM
When the hell did this alleged USC game occur?

I've tried to block it from memory too.

SGT Park3R
11/9/2009, 06:09 AM
USC period

EnragedOUfan
11/9/2009, 07:40 AM
I'll go out on a limb here and say Boise State. The way we lost to Boise State still causes pain to this day. The fact that we allowed a hook and lateral, a 4the down conversion in OT, and of course the new most famous play in college football (Statue of Liberty) was extremely painful. Plus, we were down for most of the game, came back, tied it, intercepted a pass and returned it for a touchdown late in the 4th quarter to take the lead......only to lose it in OT.

sooneron
11/9/2009, 07:57 AM
This site must be high comedy over on whornfans.

SoonerMavrick25
11/9/2009, 09:27 AM
USC hands down. That game was for all the marbles. We were being billed as the "Greatest College Football Team of All-time" and by the end of the game we were pleading with them to stop the beating. This loss sucks, sure. But it's the 4th loss of the season on a depleted Sooner team. I was mad for about 30 minutes after the game, Talked about how bad Landry sucks, got it out of my system and then I realized that it's good for some of these players (and coaches) to go through this stuff. I for one hope we do go to the Independence Bowl. That last time we played in that craphole bowl game, the next year... well you know that story..

Salt City Sooner
11/9/2009, 12:53 PM
USC hands down. That game was for all the marbles. We were being billed as the "Greatest College Football Team of All-time" and by the end of the game we were pleading with them to stop the beating. This loss sucks, sure. But it's the 4th loss of the season on a depleted Sooner team. I was mad for about 30 minutes after the game, Talked about how bad Landry sucks, got it out of my system and then I realized that it's good for some of these players (and coaches) to go through this stuff. I for one hope we do go to the Independence Bowl. That last time we played in that craphole bowl game, the next year... well you know that story..
All that talk was in '03. USC was ranked #1 from start to finish in '04.

TUSooner
11/9/2009, 01:01 PM
Right now, OU seems like a classic bully, if they get the first hit in on the opponent they keep hitting, if they get hit first they seem to crumble. It seems that in any tight game they just don't respond like the teams of the past. I don't really like what I have seen the past few seasons and wish it would change for the better.
Hmm. Harsh, but not without merit. I think even KW said something remotely similar.

yermom
11/9/2009, 01:03 PM
All that talk was in '03. USC was ranked #1 from start to finish in '04.

and our defense was getting torched at the end of the season... by the likes of aTm and OSU

ok, maybe it wasn't just the defense, it was special teams helping get them to 35 points in those games...

Harry Beanbag
11/9/2009, 01:09 PM
Hmm. Harsh, but not without merit. I think even KW said something remotely similar.

So did Dan Hawkins.

soonerlaw
11/9/2009, 01:38 PM
Personally, to me, its the LSU loss. That team could have and probably should have, won that game and the MNC that year. They had talent and drive and were fun as hell to watch all year.

Second would be BYU, simply because losing Bradford changed the whole spectrum of the season and Bradford's future

TopDawg
11/9/2009, 01:54 PM
This conversation begins and ends with the 2001 OSU game.

We lost on our home field to a pitiful team. And not just ANY pitiful team. A pitiful AGGIE team.

And they were coached by Les Miles.

It doesn't get any worse than that.

Desert Sapper
11/9/2009, 02:24 PM
USC...no question. I remember them billing us as a really great team (which we were) and I remember thinking we would get back what we pissed away against K-State in '03 and to some extent LSU. We were undefeated going into the Orange Bowl. We had shut Texas out. We had beat the snot out of everybody except OSU and TAMU (both of which were away games). We had two Heisman finalists. We had a plethora of future NFL starters (some of whom are probowlers). USC had gone wire to wire, but OU was favored by many (and had a throng of media touting us -- all of whom are the anti-sooner now) and seemingly just had to beat some weak pac 10 team to win it all.

And that weak pac 10 team embarrassed us on national TV. It was at least as much our fault as theirs, but that doesn't excuse it. We got prison raped on TV and for me it was the most singly embarrassing and disgusting moment I can remember in my lifetime of watching the Sooners play (and that includes the dreaded '90s). I think of two things when I think of the 2005 OB - vomit and a little kid crying in the corner with a dunce cap on.

We gave up as soon as Mark Bradley chased after that 'kicked' punt.

I didn't see any quit in the Sooners on Saturday. Ineptitude, maybe. Great defense, certainly. But not quit. In fact, were it not for Landry locking in on #33 on every other play and throwing the ball directly to him, we would have won.

I was in no way convinced that we would win that game against USC after the half.

Thank you for bringing all this up, cocksmokers. Now I feel sick to my stomach. Mad as I was about losing to NU, I didn't feel like I do right now.

SoonerAtKU
11/9/2009, 02:41 PM
Have people really forgotten K-State in 03? That was pretty shameful in my opinion. That was the first time in those years that the bloom really came off the rose. I think Darren Sproles just ran for another 25 yard TD.

OSU in 2001 was the last game I saw at OU as a student. My friends and I were all set to go out and party afterward. That didn't happen. We went home and I think I was asleep 15 minutes later.

TopDawg
11/9/2009, 03:08 PM
LES MILES WON ON OUR HOME FIELD, PEOPLE.

There is no other game that even comes close.

yermom
11/9/2009, 03:13 PM
the game in '02 was much worse IMO

at least we only lost in the final seconds in '01. it was a fluke.

2002 was an asskicking. by OSU.

we got our asses kicked by OSU

*shudder*

TopDawg
11/9/2009, 03:17 PM
the game in '02 was much worse IMO

at least we only lost in the final seconds in '01. it was a fluke.

2002 was an asskicking. by OSU.

we got our asses kicked by OSU

*shudder*

Yeah, but I could kinda see that one coming. Texas A&M had already beaten us and OSU had better weapons to employ that exact same gameplan.

That 2001 OSU team was pathetic. And we were headed to the Big XII championship game. And it was at home.

And it was Les Miles.

Sooner04
11/9/2009, 03:18 PM
All that 2001 O-State game did was prevent us from getting our asses handed to us by Miami in the Rose Bowl. It also enabled us to watch one of the greatest meltdowns in the history of mankind by Texas in the Big 12 CG a week later.

Harry Beanbag
11/9/2009, 03:24 PM
I realize Les Miles is mildly to severely retarded and incredibly unlikeable, but he is a very good football coach. If we were to have met LSU in the Cotton Bowl this season, he would have kicked our *** again.

primetime43
11/9/2009, 03:38 PM
I feel like I should be laying on the couch talking to a shrink.
1. USC- No doubt the most painful loss that I've seen from my sooners.
1a. Boise- We'll always be remembered as the team that got tricked twice.
3.- KSU 03- To me they took Bob's mojo and he hasn't gotten it back since.
4- West Va- First time I've seen the Sooner's quit on Stoops.
5-LSU- Just because I lived in Louisiana at the time and never hear the end of it. Come to think of it if I could have one revenge game it would be LSU.

This is off topic a little but after seeing most people pick Boise and West Va it got me thinking. You know how they always talk about the Bob Stoops coaching tree? Well i think they should add two more to that list. Chris Peterson and Bill Stewart. I'm pretty sure Stewart doesn't get that job if we beat them.

TMcGee86
11/9/2009, 03:41 PM
USC.

this.

TMcGee86
11/9/2009, 03:57 PM
I realize Les Miles is mildly to severely retarded and incredibly unlikeable, but he is a very good football coach. If we were to have met LSU in the Cotton Bowl this season, he would have kicked our *** again.

This was my exact thought right after the nebbish game. I don't know why I'm pissed considering I would rather play an overrated USC team in the holiday bowl than getting exposed yet again, to the like of that ***, in the Cotton bowl.

And I have never been as sick to my stomach as I was after TGOWWDNS. I literally didn't sleep that night because I was so sick. That game made me question my obsession with sports in general. I never even knew I could be that affected by a game till that point. Nothing since has even come close.

Boise we were lucky to be there. They were ranked higher than us and favored in a good number of publications.

WVU was hard to watch, but at the end of the day we were beat up going in, and WVU was one Pat White injury vs. Pitt away from the National Championship game.

I really think the only thing that comes close is KSU. And because it didn't prevent us from the MNC game, it just didn't have the lasting sting that USC did.

stoopified
11/9/2009, 03:58 PM
OSU in Norman in '01.Bingo,CU in 2007 is aclose second.

Funky G
11/9/2009, 04:49 PM
K-State, USC, then this one. But, K-State and USC had some good players. The Neb loss was just a lay down to an average to below average team.

Salt City Sooner
11/9/2009, 05:01 PM
KSU was pre-season top 5 that year. When Roberson was healthy, they were darn good (witness that game, plus the '01 game when he ripped the consensus best D of the Stoops era for 37 points as well).

tommieharris91
11/9/2009, 06:08 PM
Gotta love kick-in-the-genitals threads.

Ruuuuuufus
11/9/2009, 06:10 PM
surprised so few mentions of TCU. The next game after appearing in the NCG for the 2nd year in a row, the best RB in college football, playing at home against a mid-major and we got outplayed through and through.

TopDawg
11/9/2009, 06:26 PM
But that was a good TCU team. They went on to finish #14 that year.

In 2001 we were ranked #4 and OSU was 3-7 (1-6 in conference) and it was on our home field.

I don't consider a loss to a Top 25 team (especially a national champion) on a neutral field as even remotely close to a loss to a 3-7 team on your home field when you're ranked #4.

Yeah, the stakes were higher against USC, LSU and K-State. Yeah, it was more of a butt-kickin' against USC, WVU and K-State. Yeah, it was more of a national embarrassment against Boise State. But those were all good teams. 2001 OSU was not a good team. They weren't even an average team. They were bad.

And they beat us.

At home.

TopDawg
11/9/2009, 06:54 PM
I will say that if I could change the outcome of any of the losses, it would go like this:

#1 USC
#2 LSU
#3 Boise State
#4 K-State
#5 WVU
#6 TCU (to drastically extend our home-winning streak)
#7 OSU
#8 Texas 2005 (to keep them from winning the national title)
All the rest

yermom
11/9/2009, 07:25 PM
KSU seems too high

if nothing else, it hosed Texas :D

Harry Beanbag
11/9/2009, 08:05 PM
And I have never been as sick to my stomach as I was after TGOWWDNS. I literally didn't sleep that night because I was so sick. That game made me question my obsession with sports in general. I never even knew I could be that affected by a game till that point. Nothing since has even come close.

Ditto all of this.

josh09
11/9/2009, 08:10 PM
There could be different categories for this.

Most embarrassing: USC

Most ugly: Maybe this one or Kansas State in '03

Most frustrating (excluding Oregon!): Florida or BSU

VA Sooner
11/9/2009, 08:48 PM
USC... hands down.

Had to take a break before the end of the first half. Got some nerve back and went back to it in the third quarter... but it was already over. Our team quit and there was no stopping USC at that point.

BoomerSoonerGoOU
11/9/2009, 10:06 PM
Why hasn't Colorado 2007 been mentioned? Up 24-7 and lose 27-24. That loss still puzzles me to this day.

yermom
11/9/2009, 10:09 PM
we were only up because of the D. our offense wasn't doing crap. the D finally got winded and couldn't hold on.

that game did blow and i saw it coming as i watched :(

i think a lot of it was Sam being young and locking on to Iglesias all day

ndpruitt03
11/9/2009, 10:14 PM
All of them

Sooner04
11/9/2009, 11:46 PM
we were only up because of the D. our offense wasn't doing crap. the D finally got winded and couldn't hold on.
Was it the D? Or was it Reggie Smith?

sozo
11/9/2009, 11:57 PM

Preach on!

Desert Sapper
11/10/2009, 04:47 AM
The USC loss to me is like September 11. It was a blindside shot that nobody expected and it embarrassed and enraged me in ways I never thought possible. My wife and kids literally got in the car and drove away before halftime in that game (don't worry...they came back :) ).

I was at the O-State game, and shocked as I was, I was far from that angry.

primetime43
11/10/2009, 09:18 AM
Was it the D? Or was it Reggie Smith?

The D couldn't stop that little running back.

TopDawg
11/10/2009, 12:53 PM
KSU seems too high

The only reason it's up there is because it would've given us another Big XII championship...no asterisk needed.

Jdog
11/10/2009, 06:01 PM
the back to back loses to KSU and LSU set up the horror of the USC game. Bob's ego took a huge hit from those three loses from which it has never recovered. He lost his "BIG GAME BOB" moniker and the NFL teams have since stopped calling. sure he's won a bunch of Big 12 Championships - and that's great - but on the national stage he's consider in worse shape than Tressel because of the loses to Boise and WV.

Socrefbek
11/10/2009, 06:08 PM
Mike Stoops

effay
11/10/2009, 07:44 PM
Colorado

badger
11/11/2009, 12:46 PM
Aww, what the heck...

OSU in 2001 and TCU in 2005.

Without them, we'd have a pretty awesome home winning streak going.

I hope with all my hope that we can win versus A&M and OSU this season. I don't wanna see the streak end again :(

soonervegas
11/11/2009, 02:07 PM
The Kansas State/Mike Stoops double team in 2003

We haven't been the same since

spatton713
11/25/2009, 05:39 AM
tech 2009

King Barry's Back
11/25/2009, 06:10 AM
Personally, to me, its the LSU loss. That team could have and probably should have, won that game and the MNC that year. They had talent and drive and were fun as hell to watch all year.

Second would be BYU, simply because losing Bradford changed the whole spectrum of the season and Bradford's future

I'm going to disagree with you on BYU changing Bradford's future. With this line and these receivers, Bradford was destined to have his season ended. If he had made it out of Jerry'sWorld, he wasn't going to make it out of LandShark or the Cotton Bowl.

boomermagic
11/25/2009, 09:20 AM
usc absolutely no doubt but followed closely by Boise st..

TUSooner
11/25/2009, 04:57 PM
I will say that if I could change the outcome of any of the losses, it would go like this:

#1 USC
#2 LSU
#3 Boise State
#4 K-State
#5 WVU
#6 TCU (to drastically extend our home-winning streak)
#7 OSU
#8 Texas 2005 (to keep them from winning the national title)
All the rest

That's a good way to look at it. My top 5 list would be a little different though:

#1 LSU (because I live in New Orleans had to listen to that senseless and inane but very annoying Tiger Bait **** for waaaaay too long. And we were better and should have won but got screwed by playing a home game for LSU).
#2 K-State (because it set up #1; I think if we beat KSU we also beat LSU - just because of momentum or something)
#3 Boise State (Oh, the humanity! And the humiliation.)
#4 WVU (WTF?!?! OUr performance was a total disgrace)
#5 USC (I think they are still scoring)
All the rest

11/25/2009, 11:19 PM
USC... ouch.

Boise State... trick play... ouch.

WVU... WTF?