PDA

View Full Version : STOOPS' SIDELINE DEMEANOR

okcusooner
11/8/2009, 09:51 AM
Getting a little tired of seeing Stoops' red-faced rant six inches in front of the nose of any player who makes a mistake. Yes, some of these mistakes are frustrating. But I have always thought the Wooden approach makes more sense than the Knight approach.

How can Stoops or any other coach legitimately criticize a player for a personal foul, when the coach can't do any better in staying poised reacting to player mistakes?

OklaPony
11/8/2009, 10:02 AM
You've got to be kidding me.

You coach a guy up day in day out for months or, in some cases years, about what to do and what not to do then he pulls a monster bonehead move that impacts the entire team and their ability to win. Do you think he should pat him on the butt and say, "Don't worry big fella, you'll do better next time"? This is f'ing D1 football and if a player can't take an azz chewing when he screws up then maybe he should go out for the badminton team.

Surely you can find something better to complain about.

Okie35
11/8/2009, 10:09 AM

You coach a guy up day in day out for months or, in some cases years, about what to do and what not to do then he pulls a monster bonehead move that impacts the entire team and their ability to win. Do you think he should pat him on the butt and say, "Don't worry big fella, you'll do better next time"? This is f'ing D1 football and if a player can't take an azz chewing when he screws up then maybe he should go out for the badminton team.

Exactly you practice over and over and over and it should be a cakewalk yet you go out and don't execute. He has a right to be in their faces. It's simple things too that should be natural now that they spend endless hours going over things. It's like he's wasted his time and effort and when you go out and get penalties and personal fouls its like a slap in the face.

TUSooner
11/8/2009, 10:09 AM
I think Stoops is too easy -- if not at the game, then in preparation. A truly well-disciplined team does not keep making the stupid mistakes we make every game. I get tired of Stoops having that, "Oh fudge, what is it this time" look.

StoopTroup
11/8/2009, 10:11 AM
Getting a little tired of seeing Stoops' red-faced rant six inches in front of the nose of any player who makes a mistake. Yes, some of these mistakes are frustrating. But I have always thought the Wooden approach makes more sense than the Knight approach.

How can Stoops or any other coach legitimately criticize a player for a personal foul, when the coach can't do any better in staying poised reacting to player mistakes?

I think you should go to Norman and address him personally about it.

Probably look like this....

4WHT1BTCLHY

LiveLaughLove
11/8/2009, 11:14 AM
You must be fairly young.

There is lots of criticism that can be leveled today, thats not one of them, IMO.

The_Red_Patriot
11/8/2009, 11:48 AM
This thread sucks....

If you want a coach like that go get John Blake

Soonerman08
11/8/2009, 11:49 AM

When I read the title of this thread I thought it was going to be a blurb about how Stoops just stands there with no emotion at all. Instead you put this crap out?

Leroy Lizard
11/8/2009, 12:02 PM
Frustrated fans...

lash out at the announcers ("they are such homers")

lash out at the refs

complain that the coach doesn't look right ("he just doesn't care since he got his raise")

complain that the wrong plays were called

complain about the lack of fire in the players (this one surprisingly hasn't appeared yet -- give it time)

Soonerus
11/8/2009, 12:03 PM
Frustrated fans...

lash out at the refs

complain that the coach doesn't look right ("he just doesn't care since he got his raise")

complain about the lack of fire in the players (this one surprisingly hasn't appeared yet -- give it time)

What the H do you expect ???

jkjsooner
11/8/2009, 12:50 PM

You are actually comparing a player getting a personal foul to a coach getting onto a player? Last I checked one is against the rules and the other is not.

If our coaches lost their temper and got personal fouls on the sidelines then maybe you'd have a point.

Heck, in basketball there's an understanding that the coach has the player's back. There's an agreement that the players behave and the coach will get the technical if need be. You don't really see that in football but I'd support it.

rainiersooner
11/8/2009, 12:54 PM
Thank you StoopTroup for saving what would otherwise have been a complete waste of 5 minutes of my life with that excellent German bitch slap video. World class!! Hello Werner!!! Ha ha ha.

mightysooner
11/8/2009, 12:57 PM
I'm getting tired of watching how fat Josh Heupel is getting. He's going Mangino on us.....and quick!

HateUifNotSooner
11/8/2009, 01:23 PM
that was the best "bitch slap" ever. thanks for making my day.

JLEW1818
11/8/2009, 01:25 PM
I think somebody needs to yell in Stoops face

GottaHavePride
11/8/2009, 01:41 PM

See? Rus has your back. ;)

MamaMia
11/8/2009, 01:48 PM

He needs to hire me. I'll bitch 'em into the proper frame of mind. ;)

You are so wrong by the way.

prrriiide
11/8/2009, 03:45 PM
You must be a little too young to remember a gent that used to prowl our sidelines by the name of Bobby Proctor. That guy could give a$$-chewing lessons to a drill instructor.

TripleOption14
11/8/2009, 06:34 PM
This post is truly laughable. Real simple, go find footage of an Alabama practice since Saban has taken over compared to footage of OU and Stoops!! Saban is on them from 1st whistle to the last. When I watch OU practices online I see Stoops and others laughing and a more relaxed practice. Not saying they are not coaching but there is a visible difference. Now go watch a Bama game compared to an OU game. I bet one does not see near as many personal fouls, false starts, offsides, etc etc.

Petro-Sooner
11/8/2009, 06:37 PM
You can watch practices online? :confused: That just doesnt sound right. Link?

starclassic tama
11/8/2009, 06:46 PM
now stoops is too mean.... priceless

TripleOption14
11/8/2009, 08:38 PM
You can watch practices online? :confused: That just doesnt sound right. Link?

During the off season sooner sports always puts stuff up.

sooneron
11/8/2009, 08:43 PM
I'm willing to bet that there are marching orders that the Soonervision guys have to follow before they post anything. Like no coach rants in player's faces.

delhalew
11/8/2009, 09:21 PM
Some of these threads are going from stupid to ****tarded at the speed of light.

PLaw
11/8/2009, 10:22 PM

Or, maybe, just maybe, it says that these kids are not getting coached up properly for months, or years, and they are making bone headed plays. Perhaps, better coaching would eliminate many of these mental errors.

BOOMER

picasso
11/8/2009, 11:19 PM

We need more of this. Especially when you get a dead ball foul on 4th and 1.

Sooner in Tampa
11/9/2009, 06:59 AM
Classic...Instant Classic!!! Complaining because kids are getting their asses chewed out for making mistakes.

I guess we should give them a hug, ask them how they feel, make sure they don't feel too degraded, and pat them on the butt while we send them over to get some Gatorade or juice...hell maybe we should offer them hot dogs on the sideline.

Todays young people really scare me sometimes.

SoonerForever
11/9/2009, 07:49 AM

What bothers me about Stoops rants is that it "appears" as though he may be losing focus on what else is going on at the moment as well as influencing what transpires for a few plays afterward.....I understand the need for correction on the spot, but it seems to occur too often.....maybe more need for position coaches to become more vocal about mistakes and head coach/strength conditioning coach involvement less....just my opinion

MrJimBeam
11/9/2009, 08:12 AM
This post is truly laughable. Real simple, go find footage of an Alabama practice since Saban has taken over compared to footage of OU and Stoops!! Saban is on them from 1st whistle to the last. When I watch OU practices online I see Stoops and others laughing and a more relaxed practice. Not saying they are not coaching but there is a visible difference. Now go watch a Bama game compared to an OU game. I bet one does not see near as many personal fouls, false starts, offsides, etc etc.

Did anyone see Saban go ape**** on J. Jones this weekend. Throwing headsets and eveything. I guess the difference in that blowup and Stoops' is Saban's team won.

SoonerMavrick25
11/9/2009, 08:33 AM

What's your take on Nick Saban on throwing down his headset??? The Wooden approach wouldn't work in this era.

SoonerMavrick25
11/9/2009, 08:41 AM
Classic...Instant Classic!!! Complaining because kids are getting their asses chewed out for making mistakes.

I guess we should give them a hug, ask them how they feel, make sure they don't feel too degraded, and pat them on the butt while we send them over to get some Gatorade or juice...hell maybe we should offer them hot dogs on the sideline.

Todays young people really scare me sometimes.

I was getting mad at Huepel because he wasn't "jumping" Landry Jones a.s.s enough for me. (until the last "hail mary" int)

TUSooner
11/9/2009, 08:52 AM
Frustrated fans...

lash out at the refs

But but but, we say it because it's all TRUE !!1 ;)

TUSooner
11/9/2009, 08:53 AM

HEAR HIM !!!!!

King Barry's Back
11/9/2009, 08:55 AM
My take --

Coach Stoops doesn't really "lose focus" or "chew people out" from uncontrolled anger.

He is deliberately choosing to yell at people who screw up, in an intentional effort to make them remember there is a penalty for f'ing up.

Therefore, I think it is perfectly acceptable as a coaching tool.

It's effectiveness, however, is open to debate, because baby, something is definitely wrong.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/9/2009, 09:22 AM
http://www.the-reel-mccoy.com/movies/1998/images/waterboy_waterboy.jpg

We need to open up our recruiting base.

Jello Biafra
11/9/2009, 09:33 AM

annnnd heres the difference. kids that live in alabama choose one side or the other and rarely leave the state. you go to Auburn or Alabama. reagrdless of the way the coach yells at you. you think stoops is going to allow a video of him cheming on the *** of a kid so a recruit can say "damn. he sent the dogs after that guy. screw it i dont want to play for ou if thats the way it is."