PDA

View Full Version : So is this the worst team in the Stoops Era???

TripleOption14
11/8/2009, 08:03 AM
I think this years team is hands down the worst team in the Stoops Era!! All the penalites, turnovers, poor execution, dropped balls etc etc.. The 99 team was not even this bad. I know many of the players on offense are just puppies but my god!!!! And next year could be even worse because of all the players we're gonna lose on defense! What a bizarre bizarre year!

the_sooners_abide
11/8/2009, 08:07 AM
The 2005 team started out as bad...but they got better as the season progressed. This team, in my opinion, is digressing on offense and special teams and leaving a very good defense out to dry. So yes, I'd say this team, as of now, is the worst team of the Stoops Era.

the_sooners_abide
11/8/2009, 08:08 AM
But they are better than all Schnelly and Blake teams of the 90's

OUmillenium
11/8/2009, 08:14 AM
I feel for Murray, Broyles, and some of the legit stars. Defense was great last night. There are too many probs on offense. FGs would have won it for us.

TripleOption14
11/8/2009, 08:18 AM
Much better than ANY 90's team i say (because of defense) but I agree. Clearly, moving in the wrong direction and in a hurry! I know the injuries keep coming but man.... The O-line play is just pitiful at best.

TripleOption14
11/8/2009, 08:21 AM
I feel for Murray, Broyles, and some of the legit stars. Defense was great last night. There are too many probs on offense. FGs would have won it for us.

As it did for Iowa St. And there in is another question. Ohio St. gets bigtime kicker after bigtime kicker!! Hell, lost Pettrey for the year and brought in this Barclay guy off the streets and he was smoking em!!!! How is it OU cant find ONE got d@mn kicker!!!!

SoonerBacker
11/8/2009, 08:21 AM
Without a doubt, this is the worst team Stoops has ever fielded. I never thought a Stoops team would be this inept on offense!

TXBOOMER
11/8/2009, 09:01 AM
Usually Stoops coached teams have got better as the year has progressed, especially the O lines. This O Line has not made those strides. That is why I can't understand why people think they will be better next year with Eldridge and Williams gone. Hey Rawlings in 2006 we had Cooper in the middle who was far more talented than any of these guys. Messner who was average was way better than any of them are playing.

OU-HSV
11/8/2009, 09:02 AM
no doubt about it...it's the worst.

budbarrybob
11/8/2009, 09:05 AM
Whats sad is there are NO more games this year that we can say "yeah thats a win"

VA Sooner
11/8/2009, 09:06 AM
Yes. Even comparing to the first year team in 1999... that team got better as the year progressed.

I will have to say... we've been plagued with injuries game after game.

What happened to English last night? Alexander did well but the personal foul really hurt us last night.

Lack of discipline, too many penalties and bad kicks. Tough night.

TUSooner
11/8/2009, 09:17 AM
To answer the question: Yes (though the Blow-mar team was pretty shaky, too.)

TJKDone
11/8/2009, 09:24 AM
That is why I can't understand why people think they will be better next year with Eldridge and Williams gone.

Good point. With the Losses on the D for next year my vote is that 2010 will be the worst team of the Stoops era.

Hook'em

soonervegas
11/8/2009, 09:37 AM
So when does this guy get banned? 300 some odd posts and all taunting.

rawlingsHOH
11/8/2009, 10:27 AM
Without a doubt, this is the worst team Stoops has ever fielded. I never thought a Stoops team would be this inept on offense!
2001 and 2005 were just as bad offensively.

SPuL
11/8/2009, 12:00 PM
To answer the question: Yes (though the Blow-mar team was pretty shaky, too.)

in the beginning. But whether you like to admit it or not but the way we finished out and that win against #5 or #6 Oregon in the Holiday bowl gave a lot of hope for the next yr. Then we all know what happened

A-M
11/8/2009, 12:14 PM
To be honest, this team is not the players we see on the field. Remember how many guys who have been hurt. Even with the young O-line, if all our players were able to be on the field, this team would be a lot better. Having ssaid that, I would agree that the playeers we are using are the worse of the Stoops years. Just hope they are better next year.

GottaHavePride
11/8/2009, 01:31 PM
So when does this guy get banned? 300 some odd posts and all taunting.

As soon as he actually does something that breaks the rules. Being a fan of a rival team - while annoying - doesn't cut it.

JLEW1818
11/8/2009, 01:32 PM
well Record ...why is it not 1999?

(season aint over)

cvsooner
11/8/2009, 01:46 PM
And in all fairness, the offense did make nice improvements against Kansas and Kansas State, compared to the first game. What's so frustrating about last night was it was a regression to the BYU game.

Lost in all the commotion was the fact we actually did move the ball fairly well, but couldn't score. That problem has continued from day one. I think they're making improvement in that area, but...man, that was tough to watch.

I don't think Nebraska can defend the deeper sideline routes all that well but we didn't seem to test it. Instead we continued to work the middle of the field, which was an absolute minefield. Top that off with a rookie, redshirt freshman not playing particularly well (either because it was just time to play badly or he was rattled, or both), and you wind up with high, off-target passes. Receivers went back to their dropsy ways, too. Some of the passes were catchable, but they just didn't get caught.

We also seemed to just about give up on the running game because it wasn't working well enough.

The fourth and one call with the pitch to Murray was wide open up the middle if Jones had kept it for the sneak. I don't know why he stayed with the call.

I also think Landry would do himself some favors if he'd pull down the ball and take off running from time to time...though he'd probably catch grief from the coaches.

Way didn't exactly get any help in getting the ball positioned in the field of play, either. Two of the misses were on the hash marks. Personally I'd have stayed with Stevens. I guess it was some of disciplinary action, but though his kicks haven't been things of beauty, 11 for 11 from inside the 40 is NFL quality. The premium is paid on accuracy, not distance.

MyT Oklahoma
11/8/2009, 01:56 PM
This year's team gets my vote for the most frustrating of the Stoop's era. Frustrating because of the talent we've got and the talent that came back yet the results have been truly disappointing.

It's really too bad that our Coach's contracts aren't written such that results like this year's equal pay cuts across the board to provide them with some motivation to perform.

85Sooner
11/8/2009, 01:56 PM
I think this is the worst coaching year for a Stoops staff. These players are all 3-5 star recruits. This is not their first time on the field. Evidently they did something to get here. What has happened since they have been here? well....

rawlingsHOH
11/8/2009, 01:58 PM
I definitely vote this team as the 'least offensively efficient' team of the Stoops Era.

They get there fair share of yards but constantly self-destruct.

Funky G
11/8/2009, 01:59 PM
But they are better than all Schnelly and Blake teams of the 90's

when do the blake/shchnelly comparisons cease and reality set in for now and the future....

westcoast_sooner
11/8/2009, 02:20 PM
And in all fairness, the offense did make nice improvements against Kansas and Kansas State, compared to the first game. What's so frustrating about last night was it was a regression to the BYU game.

Lost in all the commotion was the fact we actually did move the ball fairly well, but couldn't score. That problem has continued from day one. I think they're making improvement in that area, but...man, that was tough to watch.

I don't think Nebraska can defend the deeper sideline routes all that well but we didn't seem to test it. Instead we continued to work the middle of the field, which was an absolute minefield. Top that off with a rookie, redshirt freshman not playing particularly well (either because it was just time to play badly or he was rattled, or both), and you wind up with high, off-target passes. Receivers went back to their dropsy ways, too. Some of the passes were catchable, but they just didn't get caught.

We also seemed to just about give up on the running game because it wasn't working well enough.

The fourth and one call with the pitch to Murray was wide open up the middle if Jones had kept it for the sneak. I don't know why he stayed with the call.

I also think Landry would do himself some favors if he'd pull down the ball and take off running from time to time...though he'd probably catch grief from the coaches.

Way didn't exactly get any help in getting the ball positioned in the field of play, either. Two of the misses were on the hash marks. Personally I'd have stayed with Stevens. I guess it was some of disciplinary action, but though his kicks haven't been things of beauty, 11 for 11 from inside the 40 is NFL quality. The premium is paid on accuracy, not distance.

Well said. IMO, the woes on the OL have been both inexperience and injury. Trying to get an offense to work as a unit takes a lot of time, and there's really no substitute for experience. And injuries have not helped a bit. Try shuffling guys around from one position to another, dealing with new guys and see how cohesive the performance of the unit is.... Even in my line of work, some guys know one system, others know other systems. When one is out sick, or takes vacation, there's sure to be an issue that someone unfamiliar with the situation has to step in and deal with.

Landry needs to settle down and let his guys make plays - take off once in awhile - I kinda like that idea. I don't think it's time to replace him yet, and I think he was due a poor game. IMO, he's got 3 games left this year to earn the starting position for 2010. If he can't get us a win in one of those remaining 3, I'll be on the "replace Landry" bandwagon, but let's see how he responds to last night.

Field Goal kicker - I thought Way was supposed to be the next great one, but couldn't hit anything last night.

SoonerKnight
11/8/2009, 03:23 PM
As soon as he actually does something that breaks the rules. Being a fan of a rival team - while annoying - doesn't cut it.

Let's use the same stand as *fans.com after all you get banned for saying anything annoying over there so lets have a rule change! :mad: