PDA

View Full Version : The thing that is totally inexcusable

PeoriaSooner
11/8/2009, 03:18 AM
is the fact that a D-1 program cannot recruit, find, train, or even buy a kicker that can make, at a minimum, 70% of their field goal attempts from inside 45 yards. I mean, sh!t, there were at least 6 possessions where we were in scoring position that were directly impacted or influenced by our total inability to kick a mother f*&^ing field goal. I was at the game and this was the single biggest negative factor in the game. Yes, our inability to execute something that most high schools can execute was a bigger factor in this loss than Landry Jones not being able to hit the broad side of a barn with his throws.
Negspek me all you want, but if you watched this abomination, you know what I say is true.

What good is recruiting and coaching up D-1 offensive and defensive players if your goddamned field goal unit looks like a damned pop warner team trying to kick extra points for the first time?

En_Fuego
11/8/2009, 03:21 AM
What about Brody Eldride having to play;

Center
OG
OT
TE

Maybe Brody can be a Kicker too.

MamaMia
11/8/2009, 03:26 AM
Yeah, too much little league stuff going on.

rawlingsHOH
11/8/2009, 03:28 AM
is the fact that a D-1 program cannot recruit, find, train, or even buy a kicker that can make, at a minimum, 70% of their field goal attempts from inside 45 yards. I mean, sh!t, there were at least 6 possessions where we were in scoring position that were directly impacted or influenced by our total inability to kick a mother f*&^ing field goal. I was at the game and this was the single biggest negative factor in the game. Yes, our inability to execute something that most high schools can execute was a bigger factor in this loss than Landry Jones not being able to hit the broad side of a barn with his throws.
Negspek me all you want, but if you watched this abomination, you know what I say is true.

What good is recruiting and coaching up D-1 offensive and defensive players if your goddamned field goal unit looks like a damned pop warner team trying to kick extra points for the first time?

Jimmy Stevens is 11-for-12 inside 45 yards.

En_Fuego
11/8/2009, 03:29 AM
Brody Eldridge is 0 for 0....thats better than 0 for 4.....:)

Curly Bill
11/8/2009, 03:29 AM
I'd rather watch one of you trot onto the field and line up to kick than I would Jimmy.

PeoriaSooner
11/8/2009, 03:35 AM
Jimmy Stevens is 11-for-12 inside 45 yards.

if that's true, then he needs to be playing and we need to be practicing FGs like Tiger Woods practices 5-irons on the driving range. If it takes 500 practice FGs a week to get the execution perfected, then we must do it. Anything less is inexcusable and any coach that doesn't insist on that level of execution needs to go find a different profession.

pappy
11/8/2009, 06:38 AM
I was at the ardmore vs durant game friday night and durant's kicker is freakin' bad he kicked a 40 yard fg that would've been good from 60 easy. and every kickoff went out of the back of the endzone and I think he's just a sophomore. I told a friend that was at the game with me that come sept 1 next year when he's a junior he should have a scholarship offer on the table from OU.

the_sooners_abide
11/8/2009, 07:47 AM
why is fg kicking up to 40 yds an automatic for most teams but an adventure for OUrs?

Sooner70
11/8/2009, 08:15 AM
put priority on recruiting ace HS kickers. My Gosh, there's Div II kickers that do better than what we have. Unless the ball is on the 15-20 yd line, it seems like kicking a field goal is a big gamble for OU. It just shouldn't be that way.

the_sooners_abide
11/8/2009, 08:18 AM
steven's was an ace kicker through his jr season at heritage hall. tress way was supposedly better at union/jenks, whichever one he played for. i say we let kathy ireland walk on or try to finish off trey dicarlo's eligibility.

OUmillenium
11/8/2009, 08:29 AM
When is the last time Onepete, Mack, or Saban dropped a 4 loss season? This is Bob's 3rd.

TripleOption14
11/8/2009, 08:35 AM
I agree w/ this completely!!!! As i said in another post. Ohio St. gets bigtime kicker after bigtime kicker!! Pettrey lost for the year... no worries they find some 26 year old guy named Barclay in the gutter somewhere and the next thing you know he bangin fg's all over the place!! Stoops needs to give Tressel a call on where to find kickers!!!

StoopTroup
11/8/2009, 08:55 AM
Brody Eldridge is 0 for 0....thats better than 0 for 4.....:)

I'm finding it hard to understand why you keep bringing Brody up. He's a talented player who steps up when asked.

He's not a Superstar. He didn't fill in for the Kicker, the QB or the WRs...

Pretty harsh IMO

OU-HSV
11/8/2009, 08:58 AM
Seriously our field goal group is pathetic. I'm officially off of the Tress Way band wagon...problem is I don't know what kicker band wagon is next. Why don't we give Cameron Kenney a shot at some fgs? He handled kicking duties in Juco

OU-HSV
11/8/2009, 08:59 AM
Might I add that I don't give a sh*t who the coaches say practices better at kicker during the week....we need a game time kicker

soonerhubs
11/8/2009, 09:04 AM
Is Eldridge injured?

TUSooner
11/8/2009, 09:23 AM
The original post is spot on.
A big time college program should have 1 or 2 kickers with 50-yard accuracy. (But I've noticed other big-time schools don't.) I think coaches arrogantly assume they will score lots of touchdowns so that they "don't need no stinkin' kickers."

My 40-something bro-in-law could have made at least a couple of those kicks. I think he's got eligibility, too :D

OU-HSV
11/8/2009, 09:27 AM
TUSooner....Have your BIL call Bob please....

okcusooner
11/8/2009, 09:33 AM
Sad but true. If Hunter Lawrence was our kicker last night, we win.

SoonerLB
11/8/2009, 09:36 AM
I think we need to recruit some new recruiters. Just sayin' ........

Okie35
11/8/2009, 10:03 AM
I miss Hartley :(

meoveryouxinfinity
11/8/2009, 10:12 AM
Jimmy doesn't have the range. He never will. That's why Way was put as the starter. They figured getting him reps with "easy" FGs that he can make (or apparently can't make) will help him when we have to try that 53 yarder a la BYU. Sounds good in theory, but Way isn't making the "easy" FGs.
So whats the answer? Put Stevens back in? Recruit the soccer team?
If we do put Stevens back in, how will his psyche be affected?

OU-HSV
11/8/2009, 10:14 AM
Like I've said. We could always give Cameron Kenney a chance:

At Garden City CC
First team All-Jayhawk Conference in 2008 ... named 2007 All-Jayhawk Conference as a receiver, returner and punter ... 2007 Jayhawk Conference special teams player of the year ... had 40 catches for 580 yards (14.5 avg.) and five touchdowns ... also rushed the ball 12 times for 55 yards, threw an 18-yard touchdown pass, converted 11-of-13 extra point attempts, made 8-of-9 field goal opportunities (three longest were 40, 41, and 52) and punted for a 47 yard average ... 46 passes for 633 yards and three touchdowns in 2007 ... clocked at 4.48 in the 40 ... only played one year of varsity football in high school.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/8/2009, 10:16 AM
Like I've said. We could always give Cameron Kenney a chance:

That would be ok. As long as Way isn't kicking FGs next week. If he is, we have the effing stupidest coaches in the world.

and OMG a 52 yarder!!

StoopTroup
11/8/2009, 10:19 AM
Jimmy doesn't have the range. He never will. That's why Way was put as the starter. They figured getting him reps with "easy" FGs that he can make (or apparently can't make) will help him when we have to try that 53 yarder a la BYU. Sounds good in theory, but Way isn't making the "easy" FGs.
So whats the answer? Put Stevens back in? Recruit the soccer team?
If we do put Stevens back in, how will his psyche be affected?

I'm hoping Tress will get this straightened out. Last night had to be tough on him.

Tress is a Redshirt Freshman. I think this is all just more of putting to much pressure on guys with very little game experience. Stevens is what is inexcusable. He should be the kicker and Tress should be filling in and behind him pushing him to do better. It seems Jimmy should pack it in after this season and give the roster spot up to someone who wants to play.

tulsaoilerfan
11/8/2009, 10:21 AM
Why did we make the switch in the first place? Jimmy was 11 for 13, which is pretty damn good; it would be nice if he could make long field goal's, but it would also be nice if we had an offense that could actually score TD's this season instead of settling for 3

stoopified
11/8/2009, 01:04 PM
When is the last time Onepete, Mack, or Saban dropped a 4 loss season? This is Bob's 3rd.For Pete 2001,for Saban 2007.Mack it was 1999 and he has had (4) 3 loss seasons since then.

Okla-homey
11/8/2009, 01:08 PM

Word. And amen. srsly.

stoopified
11/8/2009, 01:17 PM
Also Saban has had (2) .500 seasons and Carroll(1).For the record Bob has NEVER had a .500 season.