PDA

View Full Version : Who do you like better?

TopDawg
4/22/2004, 09:44 PM
Three weeks ago I'd've said Billy Joel in a landslide. But it's close now. For me, it depends on my mood. But if I had to pick one, it'd be Elton.

TopDawg
4/22/2004, 09:46 PM
Oh, and unlike Gambino's little sector analysis...this IS a scientific poll.

GeneralCartmanLee
4/22/2004, 09:56 PM
Only because I can't stand Billy Joel!!:mad:
I would like to jab his eyes out every time I see him!
I really dont know why!

Gambino Sooner
4/22/2004, 09:58 PM
Billy Joel.

Elton John is gay.

really gay.

Petro-Sooner
4/22/2004, 10:24 PM
I"m with Gambino.

Soonrboy
4/22/2004, 10:36 PM
Crocodile Rock is awesome...

Plus, Billy Joel will never be on American Idol.

I'm not gay.

proud gonzo
4/23/2004, 12:13 AM
This is SUCH an unfair question! How can you even ASK me to choose?????

AAAAAGH!!!

bri
4/23/2004, 12:20 AM
If it weren't for Ben Folds' live cover of "Tiny Dancer", I'd have to fall back on ye olde coin flip.

GottaHavePride
4/23/2004, 01:18 AM
Both have awesome songs, but I don't like either of their current performances. Their voices have gone out the window; I'll stick with the original recordings.

GDC
4/23/2004, 07:53 AM
elton john + bernie taupin > billy joel

elton john - bernie taupin < billy joel

saw elton john at the myriad in the mid 80's, great show, have never seen billy joel live

OUthunder
4/23/2004, 08:30 AM
I know Elton is a lover of "Foot-long-Coney" but anyone who cheats on Christie Brinkley, and looks the way Billy Joel does ...is a mook.

Elton John

crawfish
4/23/2004, 10:14 AM
Pretty close between the two. Both have a huge body of work with some classics, and for both of 'em their stuff since the late 80's is succ.

I'd probably rate them equal on quality, but Elton simply has more stuff.

Give Billy Joel 3 points extra for landing Christie Brinkley.

C&CDean
4/23/2004, 10:20 AM
Both are great pianists. Both have performed and written great songs. Both are f-ing losers in their personal lives.

But how can you not love New York State of Mind, Our Italian Restaraunt?, Only the Good Die Young by Joel, and Amoreena?, Funeral for a Friend, Tiny Dancer, and Bennie and the Jets by John?

Goodbye Norma Jean was a possum fart though. ESPECIALLY when it was done for "Lady Di." GAH.

caphorns
4/23/2004, 10:24 AM
Your Song v. Piano Man
Bennie and the Jets v. New York State of Mind
Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting) v. Scenes from an Italian Restuarant
Rocket Man v. My Life
Take Me to the Pilot v. Big Shot
Levon v. Moving Out
Tiny Dancer v. Only the Good Die Young
Daniel v. She's Only a Woman
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road v. Honesty
Honky Cat v. You May Be Right

I voted for Elton, but this was close. Both fell apart in the 80s. Allentown and Pressure may take Billie over the top in terms of number of good tunes. He is an anoying little f&*&er though and top tunes are not quite the quality of those early Elton hits.

Wasn't Townsend a homo? Bowie? Even Mick?

Gambino Sooner
4/23/2004, 10:28 AM
Shouldn't Rod Stewart be in there somewhere.

He's equally succ.

KC//CRIMSON
4/23/2004, 10:33 AM
This is a no brainer. Nobody and I mean nobody can touch Bernie Taupin's lyrics......evar!

JaxSooner
4/23/2004, 10:33 AM
Now I'll never be able to hear "Candle in the Wind" without thinking "possum fart".

Heh.

TopDawg
4/23/2004, 10:41 AM
I'd probably rate them equal on quality, but Elton simply has more stuff.

That's pretty much how I feel. Scenes from an Italian Restaurant might be my favorite of them all (Brender and Eddie...) but if I was ranking my top 10 songs between the two of them, it'd probably 5 and 5. But if I went to 25-30, Elton would start to edge out Billy in the ratio.

However, Elton also has more songs that I dislike...probably because he's (seemingly) been more active since they both started to decline.

King Crimson
4/23/2004, 10:52 AM
get back, honkey cat....

Billy Joel wrote some nice songs too.

i take EJ.

we didn't start the fire is one of the worst songs ever. just plain ****ing terrible. EJ sucked in the late MTV 80's too, but the tiny dancer and madhatter scenes in Almost Famous are great enough.

caphorns
4/23/2004, 11:07 AM
I would say that Billy's lyrics (even the early ones) suffer of his own nostalgia for the 50s and 60s - and knowledge about specific things and places - particularly industrial towns in the East Coast and NYC. If you grew up in that era - or in those parts of the country - you would likely have a leaning toward Billy (much like people from NJ would likely put the Boss way above both of these guys).

Taupin's lyrics, for the most part, have a universal appeal.

Therefore, I would think that EJ's music appeals to a broader audience.

Boarder
4/23/2004, 12:16 PM
Elton. Even though he's gayer than gay.

His "Greatest Hits (Volume 1)" doesn't have a bad song on it. It's just great.

jk the sooner fan
4/23/2004, 01:19 PM
i voted elton as well....there are just a handful of songs by Joel that I like....much more by elton

Partial Qualifier
4/23/2004, 01:22 PM
What's gayer: Joel's Uptown Girl or Elton's Candle in the Wind?

C&CDean
4/23/2004, 01:26 PM
That POS is called "Candle in the Wind?" Who knew?

TexasLidig8r
4/23/2004, 01:26 PM
Funeral for a Friend is a classic.. although not usually noted as one of Elton John's bigger hits.

Partial Qualifier
4/23/2004, 01:29 PM
That POS is called "Candle in the Wind?" Who knew?goodbye norma jean, candle in the wind, I dunno which it is. Same song.

bri
4/23/2004, 01:51 PM
I call it "The Famous Dead Blonde Song".

TexasLidig8r
4/23/2004, 03:19 PM
Bri... neither Marilyn Monroe nor Princessa Di had ANY natural blonde hair....

And if the carpet don't match the drapes... it's not real blonde!

bri
4/23/2004, 03:35 PM
Leave it to a Horn lawyer to quibble semantics over dead broads' blondeness or lack thereof. ;)

Frozen Sooner
4/23/2004, 04:03 PM
If it weren't for Ben Folds' live cover of "Tiny Dancer", I'd have to fall back on ye olde coin flip.

Try Dave Grohl's cover. It's awesome. He forgets the verse, then makes the crowd uncomfortably chime in on the chorus. Pure entertainment.

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/23/2004, 04:35 PM
Throw Springsteen in there and we'd have all kinds of trouble.

Pricetag
4/23/2004, 04:39 PM
Billy Joel. I remember the son of this lady that used to watch my brother and I when my mom was at work when we were little had the "Glass Houses" record, and we listened to it over and over.

Frozen Sooner
4/23/2004, 05:05 PM
I hate having the last post on a page. You never know if anyone read it.

King Crimson
4/23/2004, 06:35 PM
52nd street, the stanger and glass houses were among the first records i ever bought with my own money, along with the White Album....but i still vote EJ.

honkey chateau.

TopDawg
4/23/2004, 11:31 PM
By the by, William Hung's version of Rocketman is awe-inspiring.

proud gonzo
4/24/2004, 06:32 PM
E.J.

BWAH HAHAHA!!

[...sheepishly walks away from the computer realizing how many won't get the lame joke and random laughter...]

PrideTrombone
4/25/2004, 01:53 AM
I get it. :)

TopDawg
2/5/2007, 10:55 PM
I had no idea the initial vote was so close (24 to 23 for Billy Joel right now).

I think Elton is starting to put a little distance between himself and Billy Joel in my book.

I still LOVE "Scenes" and plenty of other Billy Joel songs, but I keep finding more and more songs by Elton that I like that I previously did not know were by Elton. I'm bad about that. Turns out I liked Led Zeppelin for years before I knew it was them who did all those songs.

But the songs that have come up in the past two days are:

Nikita (not a great song, but good 80's feel/nostalgia to it)
Levon
Honky Cat
I'm Still Standing

I also think this thread was started before Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting reemerged.

But, then, Billy Joel did a remake of Highway 61 Revisited.

ARGH! This is too hard.

ousoonerfan
2/5/2007, 11:01 PM
Billy Joel.

She's Always a Woman ends the discussion.

bluedogok
2/5/2007, 11:06 PM
Elton John's voice changed after he had surgery on his throat in 1987, Billy Joel just lost it. Both were great in their time, but Elton is the better of the two.

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (the album) is a classic, Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding is the best on one there. The stuff after Taupin was poor. Once Billy Joel went pop, his music went downhill.

TopDawg
2/5/2007, 11:24 PM
Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding is the best on one there.

Another one I'd forgotten about.

It's all tied up now! 26-26.

MamaMia
2/5/2007, 11:27 PM
As a person I like Billy Joel the best. He just seems like such a nice guy. I like Elton Johns music better though.

Pricetag
2/5/2007, 11:38 PM
I'm Still Standing

I'll never hear this song without thinking of the OU basketball team in 1988. I remember tuning in for the Elite 8 game with Villanova, and CBS did this montage thingy of the teams that were still alive to "I'm Still Standing." I rember a great highlight of Stacey King dunking in it.

SleestakSooner
2/6/2007, 12:41 AM
I gotta go with Billy Joel mainly because he did write and perform all his own lyrics and music. If Elton had done it on his own he would get the vote.

In general, I do witness a lot more people singing BJ songs at karioke bars than I ever hear them doing EJ. It is just really hard for anyone to match Elton's vocals.

Boomer.....
2/6/2007, 09:43 AM
I have seen both in concert (together at the Ford Center). Elton John was great and Billy Joel was a drunk-***. He was slurring all of his words and acting gayer than Elton.

Elton John has many more hits than Billy Joel, so I am going for him. You can't beat Tiny Dancer, Daniel, and Your Song.

C&CDean
2/6/2007, 09:49 AM
Is it so bad these days that y'all gotta keep dredging up old threads?

TopDawg
2/6/2007, 10:19 AM
Last night's Frazier rerun was the Halloween one where they all dress up as their hero. Daphne dresses up as Elton John, Roz is Wonder Woman and Martin is Joe Dimaggio. One of the parts goes like this:

Frazier (as Freud): Answer the following question as your hero would answer it...Who was your most important relationship with?

Martin: I'd have to say mine was Marilyn Monroe. Unless I was married before her, I'm not sure.

Daphne (in a terrible Elton John voice): Hey, I wrote a song about Marilyn Monroe. It was called "Candle in the Wind."

Frazier: Wonder Woman?

Daphne: Hmmmm, I'd have to say my most important relationship was with my alter ego, Diane Prince.

Daphne: HEY! I wrote a song about Princess Diana, too! ...... It was also called "Candle in the Wind."

TopDawg
2/6/2007, 12:18 PM
Another one to add to Elton's list for me: Philadelphia Freedom

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/6/2007, 12:28 PM
Last night's Frazier rerun was the Halloween one where they all dress up as their hero. Daphne dresses up as Elton John, Roz is Wonder Woman and Martin is Joe Dimaggio. One of the parts goes like this:

Frazier (as Freud): Answer the following question as your hero would answer it...Who was your most important relationship with?

Martin: I'd have to say mine was Marilyn Monroe. Unless I was married before her, I'm not sure.

Daphne (in a terrible Elton John voice): Hey, I wrote a song about Marilyn Monroe. It was called "Candle in the Wind."

Frazier: Wonder Woman?

Daphne: Hmmmm, I'd have to say my most important relationship was with my alter ego, Diane Prince.

Daphne: HEY! I wrote a song about Princess Diana, too! ...... It was also called "Candle in the Wind."

I love that story.

mdklatt
2/6/2007, 12:52 PM
As a person I like Billy Joel the best. He just seems like such a nice guy.

Except for all that drunken driving and whatnot.

Pricetag
2/6/2007, 01:14 PM
Roz was hot in the Wonder Woman outfit.

StoopTroup
2/6/2007, 04:47 PM
Billy Joel.

The Brown Dirt Cowboy disgusts me.

TopDawg
2/6/2007, 06:21 PM
Roz was hot in the Wonder Woman outfit.

"I don't even think you're allowed to do that to the flag!!!" - Frazier

SoonerGirl06
2/6/2007, 11:40 PM
I do witness a lot more people singing BJ songs....

ROTFLMFAO!!!!!

sooneron
2/6/2007, 11:45 PM
Someone saved my life tonight kicks azz
Levon kicks azz
Your Song ...

I still pick the queen over the drunken fat guy from Southampton.

TopDawg
2/14/2007, 12:29 AM
Crocodile Rock has me conflicted. I can't decide if I hate it or love it.

MamaMia
2/14/2007, 10:22 AM
I was perfectly content in thinking that Billy Joel was a nice person. I had no idea that he was a drunken womanizer. :(

Gee, I hope we never have a thread entitled 'Who do you like, Betty White or Mother Teresa.

Frozen Sooner
10/1/2007, 12:45 AM
Mother Teresa may have been an agnostic according to her diary.

;)

Billy Joel also faked mental illness to get a free place to live.

Suerreal
10/1/2007, 07:15 AM
It would have been close, but for one thing...

When I was stationed in Germany, Billy Joel did a European tour to promote River of Dreams. He worked out a deal where the US Army would fly his stuff back home, and he'd give a free concert for the US military community. It was held on the Nürnberg parade grounds, and we almost didn't go, figuring how good was a free concert gonna be, he'd come and play for 45 minutes or so and that'd be it.

He gave us a fantastic concert. He got a bunch of Vietnam vets up on stage to do Goodnight Saigon with him. He did an incredible version of Unchained Melody for all the troops serving in Macedonia at the time. It was one of the best, if not the best, concert I've ever attended.

For that, Billy Joel gets my vote.