PDA

View Full Version : Why do we keep having these pathetic perfomances under Stoops...

Soonerus
11/8/2009, 01:12 AM
...I don't get it, is it karma, poor coaching, bad luck or what ???

batonrougesooner
11/8/2009, 01:13 AM
this year it's inexperience and a lack of talent on the O-line.

The Nebraska defense was the only thing that team had going for it. The defenses are almost mirror images in dominance.

The difference is that their defense was able to come up with some turnovers and kill two birds with one stone. Make points off the turnovers while simultaneously preventing an OU score.

Our defense is essentially responsible for zero points given up tonight.

rawlingsHOH
11/8/2009, 01:14 AM
Probably because Stoops is Oklahoma's coach. Hard to have bad performances under anyone else. LOL

Collier11
11/8/2009, 01:32 AM
This is Stoops worst job easily and im a Stoops lover to the core

Hella Sideburns
11/8/2009, 02:13 AM
yeah, it's karma. are you ****ing kidding me

JLEW1818
11/8/2009, 02:17 AM
every team has bad games and stuff

Pete Carroll at usc
he lost to Stanford at home
lost to Oregon State
lost to Washington

Mack Brown
he has lost to unranked aggy in 06 07, which cost them

Meyer
he had a bad season and a loss to Michigan that lost to App St that year

Tressel
he has had his share of let downs

**** happens

there there
11/8/2009, 02:24 AM
I don't think you can blame 5 interceptions and 3 missed field goals on Stoops.

mightysooner
11/8/2009, 02:25 AM
Brace yourself for next season. It could get worse because we won't have a defense either.

JLEW1818
11/8/2009, 02:26 AM
we will lose

Jackson
G. McCoy
Clayton

Reynolds will probably get a medical

Curly Bill
11/8/2009, 02:27 AM

He is the head coach and responsible for those players being here.

Curly Bill
11/8/2009, 02:27 AM
we will lose

Jackson
G. McCoy
Clayton

Reynolds will probably get a medical

If he's smart we'll lose Beal as well.

rawlingsHOH
11/8/2009, 02:28 AM
Brace yourself for next season. It could get worse because we won't have a defense either.

Defense should be okay. Offense likely much better.

JLEW1818
11/8/2009, 02:28 AM
If he's smart we'll lose Beal as well.

yah

i think Lewis will come back. supposedly he is thinks he is ready for the NFL :confused:

Curly Bill
11/8/2009, 02:30 AM
yah

i think Lewis will come back. supposedly he is thinks he is ready for the NFL :confused:

Lewis probably should come back, but with the possible rookie salary cap in the future who knows what might happen.

JLEW1818
11/8/2009, 02:31 AM
i just don't see how the kid looks like a NFL linebacker?? physically

Curly Bill
11/8/2009, 02:33 AM
i just don't see how the kid looks like a NFL linebacker?? physically

I think he'll struggle to make it in the league whether he goes this year or waits another. He's just not NFL linebacker big.

JLEW1818
11/8/2009, 02:35 AM
well at least texas will be rebuilding next year

Curly Bill
11/8/2009, 02:37 AM
well at least texas will be rebuilding next year

We're gonna be right there with them. I don't see how we're going to be much improved over this year.

En_Fuego
11/8/2009, 02:38 AM
"Live From New York" It's Saturday Night Live....With your guest's

Kevin Wilson
The Offensive Line
The Kickers
Landry Jones....(That was thrown out to the wolves)

WITH SPECIAL GUEST STARS;

The Receivers that have hands of stone.
Brody Eldridge....who has to try and play every position on the team.
Chris Brown.....that can find his way in his own house.

WITH A SPECIAL APPERANCE BY;

Bob Stoops....who refuses to acknowledge the problems of his team.

JLEW1818
11/8/2009, 02:39 AM
We're gonna be right there with them. I don't see how we're going to be much improved over this year.

yah the way i look at it is the OLine cant get worse... but how much better can it get?

the 2010 oline has a negative 23098343287430% chance of being better than the 2008 oline

Curly Bill
11/8/2009, 02:43 AM
The O-line should of course be better, I still don't know that it'll be any kind of strength.

Next years question mark will likely be the D-line. Fortunately that is one area of the team we have shown the ability to recruit successfully and develop successfully.

LiveLaughLove
11/8/2009, 02:43 AM
You can blame the missed field goals on the coaches for switching kickers. Thats legit. Im not saying they were wrong, I dont know why they made the switch. But its legit to question it after tonight.

As for the offense, yeah I know last year was record setting, but I miss the wide open Leach style offense. It didnt take a great arm, it hid weaknesses by its wide openess, and it scored at a pretty good clip too. We won an NC with basically that offense, with an overachiever at QB that physically cant match up with any of our recent QBs, AND he could barely throw in the NC game. Our recieving corp were guys moved from other positions. In '99 and 2000 we led in every stinking game, even those we ended up losing (all in '99). We had far less talent than now, except for maybe the Oline....maybe.

JLEW1818
11/8/2009, 02:44 AM
here is the horns schedule next year

at Rice
WYOMING
UCLA
FLORIDA ATLANTIC
vs. Oklahoma (Dallas)
at Nebraska
IOWA STATE
BAYLOR
at Kansas State
OKLAHOMA STATE
at Texas Tech
TEXAS A&M

wishbonesooner
11/8/2009, 05:03 AM
We stunk it up. Not sure why, looked flat and unprepared.

OUmillenium
11/8/2009, 08:39 AM
I wish I had some answers but there is too much fail in this team. I love the d, Broyles, Murray, and now even Miller and the TEs are catching balls.

VA Sooner
11/8/2009, 08:50 AM
Crick and Suh were too much for the beat-up, re-vamped, beat-up again O-line and there was a lot of pressure on Landry. I think he got to the point he couldn't think straight and made some bad decisions. Too much pressure.

Nebraska's front 4 made life tough and their secondary capitalized.

But what was sad about our performance IMHO is:

1. When Landry wasn't pressured and had enough time to go through progressions (which he doesn't do well yet... chalk it up to inexperience), it seemed like his throws were mostly behind or way above the receivers.

2. Missed field goals were the issue in an otherwise close game (and one dominated by OU statistically in every way except the most important points, and the second-most, turnovers). Now I can see why the blocked field goal on a 56 yard attempt... trajectory too low and Suh and Crick in the middle getting pressure on the specials teams line. But the other two???? And the one he did make... nothing to brag about. Nerves? Husker pressure?

Back to the drawing board. Weekly games are coming and there's very little precious time to prepare. Our team is going through the growing pains, that's for sure.

Bowl-eligible? I hope.

Defense can do it, offense needs to step up. Like last week's game, offense did while defense was a little flat. Need to play a complete game... and not just against a weak team.

Cowboys and Aggies... it's going to be a challenge.

StoopTroup
11/8/2009, 09:07 AM
I think you have this problem where this Offense has gotten behind in games on the Road and they quit playing like a Team. Each of the players seem to try to win this as individuals. It might speak for why you see these false starts and busted plays. Landry might really be feeling the pressure now. Hopefully he'll react to it in a positive way as we have at least three more games. Should we only win one more game this year...I don't think you'll see Bob looking to go to a Bowl.

Which gives me an idea for a poll.

Chin up Sooner Fans. Another tough Road loss.

TUSooner
11/8/2009, 09:12 AM
Stoops needs to be made less "comfortable" or he will keep doing the same thing and we will keep losing the big ones. He's just not feeding the Monster.

We overwhelm weak teams with OUr raw talent, but when we play good, motivated, disciplined teams, we get outsmarted in the press-box and on the field, we get out-hit, and, evidently, out-motivated.
Of course, last night may not be a good example of that. The defense was awesome. But what about the chcken-**** personal fouls and other offensive penalties. When that happens at Alabama, Saban rips somebody's face off; when we do it, Bob looks like he can't remember where he put the remote control.

And it's hard to blame Landry's horrible performance on anyone but himself. He just had one of those days when he sucked. Still, look at our BCS record and our recent record against +exas and you can see that this is not the kind of performance the Monster demands. And Monsters have been known to bite the hand that feeds them.

wishbonesooner
11/8/2009, 10:31 AM
Bob does have what the f**k look on his face these days.

oksoonerdave
11/8/2009, 10:36 AM
Bo Pelini knew OUr play book better than OUr players. No matter where we passed, the Nebs had several defenders on the receiver. This is usually caused by doing the same play calling week after week after week.

And what the heck was we doing on OUr last play in the game. Hail Mary pass with 40 seconds left.

tulsaoilerfan
11/8/2009, 10:40 AM
I think he'll struggle to make it in the league whether he goes this year or waits another. He's just not NFL linebacker big.

He can't shed blocks either; usually if he's blocked, he's toast

wishbonesooner
11/8/2009, 10:44 AM
Bob is going to be catching grief, even as great as he has been. And I guess that is as it should be.

Okie35
11/8/2009, 10:49 AM
This is Stoops worst job easily and im a Stoops lover to the core

You can only do so much w/ what you have... Stoops isn't responsible for penalties and personal fouls. I swear I haven't seen the team have this many personal fouls in a LONG time.

Okie35
11/8/2009, 10:52 AM
The O-line should of course be better, I still don't know that it'll be any kind of strength.

Next years question mark will likely be the D-line. Fortunately that is one area of the team we have shown the ability to recruit successfully and develop successfully.

I think the linebackers will be in question.

Okie35
11/8/2009, 10:54 AM
He is the head coach and responsible for those players being here.

Yea but he has trust in them because I'm sure he's seen them make those plays. You're right though it will all fall on the head coach when its said and done.

Collier11
11/8/2009, 12:06 PM

This team is horribly prepared on offense, especially O-line...I blame that on Stoops. Im not saying we should get rid of him or something stupid like that, simply that he has done a bad job with this team this yr despite the losses of players that we have had

Collier11
11/8/2009, 12:07 PM
You can only do so much w/ what you have... Stoops isn't responsible for penalties and personal fouls. I swear I haven't seen the team have this many personal fouls in a LONG time.

Its not like these guys are a bunch of scrubs, these are all mostly big time recruits out there looking like crap, this isnt HS where if you lose a few studs you are down to the scrap heap. The personal fouls are all about discipline, that goes to coaching

Curly Bill
11/8/2009, 12:14 PM
We have young guys playing, and of course young guys are going to make mistakes sometimes, but this team just pure and simple often appears to be poorly coached.

I still think Bob is up for the job, but if he doesn't shake up the coaching staff somewhat, I question how really devoted he is to making this a better football team, or if he is devoted to doing that and he can't recognize that their are problems then maybe he's not up to the job.

CatfishSooner
11/8/2009, 12:14 PM
BAD karma...

Collier11
11/8/2009, 12:16 PM
We have young guys playing, and of course young guys are going to make mistakes sometimes, but this team just pure and simple often appears to be poorly coached.

I still think Bob is up for the job, but if he doesn't shake up the coaching staff somewhat, I question how really devoted he is to making this a better football team, or if he is devoted to doing that and he can't recognize that their are problems then maybe he's not up to the job.

He needs to shake up something

SunnySooner
11/8/2009, 12:23 PM
Its not like these guys are a bunch of scrubs, these are all mostly big time recruits out there looking like crap, this isnt HS where if you lose a few studs you are down to the scrap heap. The personal fouls are all about discipline, that goes to coaching

Agree.
The dumb "false start" type penalties and the personal fouls reflect a culture of sloppiness that drives me crazy and has had a direct hand in every loss this year. Until we stop shooting ourselves in the foot with this kind of stupidity, we will remain our own worst enemy, and the responsibility for correcting this lies with the coaches.

StoopTroup
11/8/2009, 04:16 PM
And what the heck was we doing on OUr last play in the game. Hail Mary pass with 40 seconds left.

If we have to explain that to you...I think you might want to find another sport to spend your discretionary time on.

StoopTroup
11/8/2009, 04:19 PM
Agree.
The dumb "false start" type penalties and the personal fouls reflect a culture of sloppiness that drives me crazy and has had a direct hand in every loss this year. Until we stop shooting ourselves in the foot with this kind of stupidity, we will remain our own worst enemy, and the responsibility for correcting this lies with the coaches.

I'm pretty sure the Coaches have continued to preach against it. It looked like they had it under control until this week. Something happened last night. Nebraska came out blazing...they started to tire...we fell apart trying to take advantage of them.

We should have won this one too.

Collier11
11/8/2009, 04:29 PM
The last pass that got picked off Broyles was wide open about 20 yds down the field, Landry just had a bad game and tried to force it too much, it happens with a young QB, like I said in another thread most Freshman QBs dont play like Bradford did

bluedogok
11/8/2009, 04:37 PM
Maybe too many "big time recruits" and not enough "real players" is the problem. The 2000 team seemed to have many more "players" than "recruits"

Collier11
11/8/2009, 04:45 PM
Hasnt stopped Flordia, usc, bama, etc... if there is a problem with attitudes and malcontents then Stoops needs to put his boot in their azz

bluedogok
11/8/2009, 05:04 PM
Hasnt stopped Flordia, usc, bama, etc... if there is a problem with attitudes and malcontents then Stoops needs to put his boot in their azz

What has USC done since losing to UT in 2004 other than losing in 2005 to *?
Too much talent seems to have hurt USC, they lose games every year they "aren't supposed to lose" and it seems that "great players" should be able to get up for games against the likes of Oregon State and Washington like they do in BCS games.

Bama hasn't won anything yet, Florida won the SEC last season and they got beat by Utah in the Sugar Bowl just last season.

Florida is on a current run (starting in 2006) but how long will it last?

I think too many primadona players are bad for any program, too many of them have made it on sheer talent alone and have no work ethic, mainly because they have never had to work at anything in their lives before (RE: Marcus Dupree as an example). I would much rather have hungry, nasty guys with a chips on their shoulders than a bunch of guys whose asses have been kissed their whole lives and told how great they are.

5thYearSooner
11/8/2009, 08:22 PM
Stoops is a nice man . He himself said, relationships are important to him than football. He never fired any assistant coach. I think we have good talent from recruiting. May be we have become too predictable. May be its time to get some help, like hiring assistant coaches from TCU, Boise etc. when you can predict what KW is gonna call, that means time for some changes in schemes. Im not saying fire our current assistant coaches, Im just saying bring some others to help them. Two heads are better than one.

wishbonesooner
11/8/2009, 09:49 PM
Firing somebody isn't the real fix, but I wonder if shaking things up a bit, getting in new blood, new ideas, might be a good thing.