PDA

View Full Version : Stop hating on Landry....

misplaced_sooner
11/8/2009, 12:19 AM
For all you DBs hating on OUr FRESHMAN QB:

Games Bradford started: 1-2 Record
Games Landry started: 4-2 Record

Same undisciplined O-line, same green receiving core...... The O wasn't clicking on all cylinders with OUr HEISMAN WINNING QB. Stop beating up on Landry. He is a freshman, who played like..........a freshman(against a GREAT defense).:eek:

Camomaha
11/8/2009, 12:22 AM
you speak the truth

kevpks
11/8/2009, 12:25 AM
I am too busy hating our kicker, not our kicker so much I guess but the kicking game. I see kickers make field goals over 50 yards every week. I leave the room for anything over 35 yards.

nighttrain12
11/8/2009, 12:31 AM
Any QB that throws 5 INT's in a game deserves to be hated on ... at least for a few days. Then we'll starting thinking about the next game coming up.

FaninAma
11/8/2009, 12:32 AM
For all you DBs hating on OUr FRESHMAN QB:

Games Bradford started: 1-2 Record
Games Landry started: 4-2 Record

Same undisciplined O-line, same green receiving core...... The O wasn't clicking on all cylinders with OUr HEISMAN WINNING QB. Stop beating up on Landry. He is a freshman, who played like..........a freshman(against a GREAT defense).:eek:

Silly, very silly. Bradford palyed how long in the 2 games you chalk up to him as losses? And what were the scores when he went out?

There has not been a QB meltdown of this proportion since Stoops has been here. Landry has made several critical turnovers in every game we have lost(except for BYU) that has hurt the team tremendously.

Yes, he is RS freshman but I don't see that he has improved in the poise and performimng under durress departments at all over the course of the year.

okiewaker
11/8/2009, 12:33 AM
5 int's is not good. He had good protection. He was all over the place, high, low, short, long. he just didn't have it tonight, but 5 int's is really, really bad.

SGT Park3R
11/8/2009, 12:36 AM
I'm not hating on Landry.(because I couldn't have done any better) However I hate to see him look over at the sideline and open his arms and hands as if to say "WTF are you guys talking about. I have no idea what that play is." That just looks bad on all accounts.

Leroy Lizard
11/8/2009, 12:43 AM
5 int's is not good. He had good protection.

Are you kidding me? He looked like he was standing out in the middle of I-35 at rush hour.

Hot Rod
11/8/2009, 12:49 AM
I am too busy hating our kicker, not our kicker so much I guess but the kicking game. I see kickers make field goals over 50 yards every week. I leave the room for anything over 35 yards.

I didn't think it could be worse, until I flipped over and saw Clemson's kicker miss 2 extra points wide right. :eek:

However, this does make and break a game, and it happened tonight.

Petro-Sooner
11/8/2009, 12:50 AM
yeah stop throwing ****y passes. plxkthx.

misplaced_sooner
11/8/2009, 12:51 AM
I'm not saying Landry doesn't get to share the blame for this game, but I'm reading some "Landry has to go" and "he sucks" comments.

FACTs are, the offense wasn't much good with Bradford running the show. This TEAM just isn't much good. Injuries have depleted the team, the backups aren't ready to play, those that are playing are undisciplined and dare I say...............poorly coached.

I said to the wife, "I'm convinced OU has some of the best players in the country, but some of them are really "effing" stupid". The continuous false starts, personal foul calls this late in the season is ridiculous and UNEXCUSEABLE...IMO. When the O can't gain 10 yds, they sure as hell aren't going to do well taking on another 5-10 or 15......

allanace16
11/8/2009, 12:52 AM
I'm sorry, but IMO there's no reason that as an OC/HC, you call on a backup with ZERO college snaps and little meaningful practice time until this little trial by fire Landry was thrown into this season to throw the ball 58 times, especially with the kind of line play we have. 58 pass attempts are freaking Texas Tech type numbers. And we obviously don't have that kind of passing attack. And I don't even know what the answer would have been to do, but hell, you might as well pull out every stop if we're going to repeatedly lay our season on the line with guys that are backups with no PT. Line up in the f'n wishbone, just to surprise people. Be imaginative. Cause Landry wasn't and isn't prepared to shoulder that kind of load, so I'm thinking you have to lay it at the hands of who failed to give him that preparation. It's the coaches jobs to have everyone prepared, and it seems like our staff only gets the 35ish guys they foresee playing that week ready, unexpected outcomes be damned.

Soonerus
11/8/2009, 12:55 AM
Just a poor overall effort...

MyT Oklahoma
11/8/2009, 12:59 AM
Let's see now.. a year ago we scored 65 points on Nebraska and tonight we couldn't even score a touchdown. Is this supposed to be a redshirt freshman quarterback's fault? I don't think so. One player never loses a game by himself.

P.S. Our coaches though are a completely different story.

OUAlumni1990
11/8/2009, 01:15 AM
Comparing Landry to Bradford is ridiculous, especially when the 2 games that Bradford played in and lost were not even 4 qtrs that he played in. There is a very good chance that Bradford would have pulled out wins in both games if he were allowed to play the entire game. Having said that, I don't remember a bad game that Bradford ever had (when he played the full game and we had all our starters), but I can't say the same about Landry. The play tonight was pathetic..

MyT Oklahoma
11/8/2009, 01:24 AM
Comparing Landry to Bradford is ridiculous, especially when the 2 games that Bradford played in and lost were not even 4 qtrs that he played in. There is a very good chance that Bradford would have pulled out wins in both games if he were allowed to play the entire game. Having said that, I don't remember a bad game that Bradford ever had (when he played the full game and we had all our starters), but I can't say the same about Landry. The play tonight was pathetic..

How about Colorado in 2007? I believe that we had a 17 point lead and lost by 1. However, I've never blamed Sam for that loss. Our whole team lost that game.

jumperstop
11/8/2009, 01:38 AM
How about Colorado in 2007? I believe that we had a 17 point lead and lost by 1. However, I've never blamed Sam for that loss. Our whole team lost that game.

Maybe I remember wrong but I blam Reggie Smith at least partially for that loss.

BlownGP
11/8/2009, 01:38 AM

different team

this has been said before. sam got to play behind a sic o-line and he always had Manuel and Iglesias to throw to too. They could catch a ping ball if it was shot at them..

and BTW the time Landry does get his passing down. He should be in the same spot at sam.

JLEW1818
11/8/2009, 01:44 AM
Bradford was ahead in both games he went out in

westcoast_sooner
11/8/2009, 02:18 AM
Landry SHOULD get some blame for the game tonight. His performance was awful. Throwing 5 INTs is AWFUL. He didn't make good decisions at times. He didn't make good throws at times.

Doesn't mean the coaching staff should give up on him. Coach Heupel is going to have to help him learn to manage those situations better, in the future. I think Landry has done a remarkable job this year with the situation he's been put into, but he has to play better and make better decisions. He'll be OK - just needs to grow up a bit.

JLEW1818
11/8/2009, 02:20 AM
a full offseason as a starter should help

LiveLaughLove
11/8/2009, 02:29 AM
As a RS Freshman Sam was much better. Easy to say after tonight, but Ive thought it all year.

Landry is decent, but he slings the ball (technique), locks on his recievers (youth and inexperience), and isnt as poised as Sam (though he tries to appear so). For the record Jason White wasnt as poised as Sam either, and he turned out pretty good, until it came to the really big stage, but I digress.

Landry had a complete meltdown tonight before our eyes. He could have had 6 or 7 INTs if Neb's defenders could have held on. They were jumping his out patterns all night, because he was locking in. He was consistantly high over the middle (nervous and pushing), which is the worst thing to be, next to floating your out patterns. That last Hail Mary was not the play called, Landry just heaved one (that wasnt even in the vicinity of a Sooner), cause he was done. The coaches were all over him as he came off the field.

This Neb team just got beat by Iowa State at Neb. Thats Iowa Freaking State! No way for no reason should they have stayed within 10 points of OU.

JLEW1818
11/8/2009, 02:30 AM
Landry played horrible, don't get me wrong.. but the offensive line allowed him very little time to throw it seemed

Curly Bill
11/8/2009, 02:54 AM
I suspect the competition for the QB job will be a pretty wide open affair this spring.

Aw hell, what am I saying -- that would make too much sense. I now predict we go ahead and name Brody Eldridge the starting QB for 2010-11.

JLEW1818
11/8/2009, 02:56 AM
He is the best blocker in the world according to Stoops, so we wait and put him at Left Guard a few years later and think he will pick up on the position right away.

nighttrain12
11/8/2009, 03:05 AM
Landry had a complete meltdown tonight before our eyes. He could have had 6 or 7 INTs if Neb's defenders could have held on. They were jumping his out patterns all night, because he was locking in. He was consistantly high over the middle (nervous and pushing), which is the worst thing to be, next to floating your out patterns. That last Hail Mary was not the play called, Landry just heaved one (that wasnt even in the vicinity of a Sooner), cause he was done. The coaches were all over him as he came off the field.

Maybe this was stated in another thread but what was the play called (in laymens terms) on Landry's last pass? Watching on TV, it didn't appear there were any receivers other than those that went deep.

MamaMia
11/8/2009, 03:30 AM
Maybe this was stated in another thread but what was the play called (in laymens terms) on Landry's last pass? Watching on TV, it didn't appear there were any receivers other than those that went deep.
Its called the McFly.

LiveLaughLove
11/8/2009, 03:42 AM

Im going off of memory of just seeing it the once live but, it looked to be an intermediate route, that should have been thrown on a string, in front of the safeties and behind the corners. He missed his timing, so by the time he wound up to throw, the receivers were back with the safeties making it appear to be fly patterns. He should have dumped down or thrown it away, instead of just heaving it, but I think frustration and desperation sat in.

pappy
11/8/2009, 05:40 AM
I'm not gonna defend Landry (much) he sucked tonight. The line sucked too. At the same time can we get a rb to stay in to chip suh b/c he dominated 1 on 1 blocking all night or can we double him with the line? Even the commentators were saying it. Also it appeared to me that the neb coaching staff actually watched some game film. Cause on 3rd and short or if we go for it on 4th down we always run the same play we have 2 wr's on one side and they both run slants and we throw it to the outside wr and if it isn't there then there isn't a 2nd option that was the play run on landry's 2nd to last int. I knew it was coming, the commentators knew it, neb coaching staff knew it and there was a t.o. right before it which gave the neb coaching staff some more time to remind their db's of it and when they jumped it landry just had to throw 1 up and give the wr a chance to make a play and it got tipped and picked. also they replayed the very last play and there wasn't a wr in the intermediate route it looked like they ran a hail mary play with 36 secs left. I was so pissed at that play call that later on lastnight I was laughing about it. Kinda like jim carrey on liar liar when his boss asks him if the sex was good for him and he replies I've had better. Then later on he was laughing about it. Also before the slant play on 4th down that went for a pick we had 3rd and 5 its looking like its gonna be our last drive and we run a draw play to the hb in shotgun which goes for 0 yards. terrible call. then on 4th and 5 we ran the same play we always do. Earlier in the game we went for it on 4th and ran a pitch to murray that was a bad call on 4th and 1. they had that read from the start there were 3 guys there ready to tackle murray on the outside. tress way sucked tonight too. I still don't understand why he was kicking over stevens (11/13 fg on the season) He did a good job punting though and the defense played great and deserved the win. So did theirs though. I'm not saying anyone should be fired (wouldn't matter anyway nobody's opinion on this site really matters) I'm just disappointed...I'll be watching the next game though as always and be hoping for a W.

Here's to #8 next season.

ousooners182
11/8/2009, 05:46 AM
lol heres to #8 within the next 6 years!

pappy
11/8/2009, 06:31 AM
lol heres to #8 within the next 6 years!

lol I accept.

the_sooners_abide
11/8/2009, 07:54 AM
With a performance like last night, Landry deserves all the criticism he'll receive. That was possibly the worst QB performance of the Stoops era. Landry was wildly inaccurate and completely rattled. He isn't the first FR to start at QB for Stoops either. He just doesn't look very good at passes further than 5 yds past the line of scrimmage.

SCxxSOONER
11/8/2009, 09:31 AM
bradford played one half against byu, 2 ****ing drives against texass, dont give us this **** that bradford wouldve lost the same games landry lost. We saw proof of how much better sam was in the Baylor game, the offense looked like an offense again he had poise in the pocket.....the only pass Landry could hit all night was a damn dumpoff to chris brown

budbarrybob
11/8/2009, 09:38 AM
He was the suck, The whole offensive team was the SUCK! The only bright spot was there wasn't one. :rolleyes:

sooneron
11/8/2009, 09:49 AM
bradford played one half against byu, 2 ****ing drives against texass, dont give us this **** that bradford wouldve lost the same games landry lost. We saw proof of how much better sam was in the Baylor game, the offense looked like an offense again he had poise in the pocket.....the only pass Landry could hit all night was a damn dumpoff to chris brown

You're comparing the Neb front seven to Baylor's?

I think we all know that Sam was a better qb, but thanks for trying to enlighten us.

kustang619
11/8/2009, 09:50 AM
I agree our O line is ridiculous most of the time and I know that our recievers have trouble catching the ball when their hands around their necks...with that said though, Landry couldn't throw a simple pass last night. He was long, he was short, he was basically everything but good...

ouwapiti
11/8/2009, 09:57 AM
i hate the running game (oxymoron).....no running game makes passing much harder..... tons of college running backs that are MUCH better than OU's......when's the last time an OU running back housed it from distance????....

StoopTroup
11/8/2009, 09:57 AM

Tress is a Red Shirt Freshman. I hope he doesn't go into one of those kicker comas. I think if he continues to work on his stuff...he'll be fine. There is a reason Bob didn't put Stevens in after Tress missed the 2nd one. Putting Jimmy in and missing the third one too might not have been good either. Who knows.

The thing I wonder is this...

I know folks keep saying why don't we recruit a kicker?

It might be a valid point as right now we have Matt Moreland, Jr; Jimmy Stevens, So and Tress Way, RS-Fr.

3 kickers, one team. I wonder if Matt can kick FGs too? I know originally he had issues with his length on kick offs...but he seems to have remedied that.

We have three kickers. It would seem to warrant trying to recruit a known FG kicker.

PhilTLL
11/8/2009, 10:09 AM
I'm not gonna defend Landry (much) he sucked tonight. (clipped)
Here's to #8 next season.

HI! I'm the key between right Shift and | \. My name is Enter/Return. I make things called "paragraph breaks" to prevent the dreaded phenomenon of difficult readability due to impenetrably dense blocks of text, or as the kids call it on the interwebs these days, "TL;DR."

tulsaoilerfan
11/8/2009, 10:30 AM

Reggie Smith lost that damn game

rawlingsHOH
11/8/2009, 10:33 AM
Reggie Smith lost that damn game

Reynolds and Lofton were abused in coverage. Iggy could have made a better play on a ball that resulted in a pick. Etc.

Reggie was just 1/22nd of that loss.