PDA

View Full Version : Blake Bell C'mon Down

FaninAma
11/7/2009, 11:52 PM
I have not seen that bad of QB play at OU since the John Blake years. That was pathetic. I'm usually not one to throw players under the bus but Landry cannot deal with pressure at all. I know he hasn't come in under ideal situations but his mistakes have cost the team dearly this year.....Miami, Texas and tonite.

KW was his normal subpar self on the road but he's not why we lost. Jones had a complete and utter meltdown of epic proportions. Maybe he will recover and go onto have a fantastic career at OU but his mental grasp of the game and poise in stressful situations makes me believe he will not be able to handle the OU QB job at OU.

LawtonBoy74
11/8/2009, 12:06 AM
He just flat out sucked 2night!!! We would've been better off punting on 3rd down all night long..and usually that would be a joke but its actually true..WOW

soonerborn45
11/8/2009, 12:10 AM
Sooo, the offensive line not blocking, running backs not being aggressive, questionable playcalling sometimes, and the defense not getting the stop when they need it...yeah get that redshirt freshman outta here and replace him with a true freshman. This is OU gosh darn it! Who cares if you have played good for most of the year when you were thrusted into the postition. You have one bad game you need to get the hell out! WHOO HOO Blake Bell!!

FaninAma
11/8/2009, 12:21 AM
Sooo, the offensive line not blocking, running backs not being aggressive, questionable playcalling sometimes, and the defense not getting the stop when they need it...yeah get that redshirt freshman outta here and replace him with a true freshman. This is OU gosh darn it! Who cares if you have played good for most of the year when you were thrusted into the postition. You have one bad game you need to get the hell out! WHOO HOO Blake Bell!!

Name one play Jones has made when OU needed it in any of their losses. Just one.

The RBs played fine. The line more than held their own in the second half. Landry just had a massive meltdown and that worries me a lot.

I just don't think he needs to be handed the reins at QB unless he can actually show some poise and mental toughness and actually make a play or two in tough close games. Also, avoiding critical turnovers would be nice.

Leroy Lizard
11/8/2009, 12:32 AM
Name one play Jones has made when OU needed it in any of their losses. Just one.

Self-fulfilling prophecy. Since the game would have been a loss, then his great play wouldn't have made the difference in the outcome.

kevpks
11/8/2009, 12:40 AM
Jones has made some big time throws all year. He had some sail on him tonight and tried to force a few. Every QB has a night like this at some point.

batonrougesooner
11/8/2009, 12:43 AM
Honeymoon is officially over for the kid.

MikeInNorman
11/8/2009, 12:45 AM
Self-fulfilling prophecy. Since the game would have been a loss, then his great play wouldn't have made the difference in the outcome.

I would say that 27 incompletions and 5 interceptions also qualify as self-fulfilling prophecies.

Leroy Lizard
11/8/2009, 12:47 AM
Do you know what a self-fulfilling prophecy is? Seriously, do you know?

FaninAma
11/8/2009, 12:54 AM
Do you know what a self-fulfilling prophecy is? Seriously, do you know?
You are using circular logic to defend your opinion.

I simply asked you to name a play that Jones has made that helped the Sooners win a game late? There have been chances in every game we lost. He made a critical TO in the Miami game, albeit not entirely his fault. In the Texas game he made 2 horrendous throws in the 4th quarter that all but sealed Texas" victory. He did avoid turnovers in the KU and KSU games and that , in retrospect, was a big positive. It's just at this point Jones should be able to minimize the mistakes so they aren't killing the team.

MamaMia
11/8/2009, 12:59 AM
Jones has made some big time throws all year. He had some sail on him tonight and tried to force a few. Every QB has a night like this at some point. Maybe in Junior High.

OKC-SLC
11/8/2009, 01:33 AM

Unfortunately, you're right. I wish you weren't. But you are.

He needs some experience, some help from what is an absolutely pathetic offensive line, and a better offensive gameplan. This no huddle garbage is not suited for this team right now. I can't believe that our coaching staff keep trotting it out after seeing the team struggle with it week after week.

rawlingsHOH
11/8/2009, 01:35 AM
I remember when many were predicting incoming transfer Nate Hybl would unseat Josh Heupel in the winter of 99-00.

LOL

rawlingsHOH
11/8/2009, 01:36 AM
If we just would have played Paul Thompson we would have easily beaten LSU.

LOL

rawlingsHOH
11/8/2009, 01:38 AM
Keith Nichol will get the nod over Bradford and Halzle, because of his mobility and his laser arm.

After all he got that laser arm throwing in a barn in Michigan. Had to throw low so he wouldn't hit the rafters.

LOL

misplaced_sooner
11/8/2009, 01:41 AM
How soon we forget this same QB and WR corp completed a FIRST AND 45 LAST WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

rawlingsHOH
11/8/2009, 01:45 AM
How soon we forget this same QB and WR corp completed a FIRST AND 45 LAST WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

And how just this morning everyone was talking about how great Landry was.

I've come to the sad conclusion that most people are flat out stupid.

SCOUT
11/8/2009, 02:24 AM

This is a good example of sugar coating. The conversion of a first and 45 is indeed impressive. Even moreso, considering the yardage on 1st.

The reason I call this sugar coating is because the first down was solely due to the play of Ryan Broyles. He caught a short pass and literally got the first down by himself.

Plays like that pad the stats of the QB, but hardly demonstrate their ability to lead the team down the field.

I am generally accused of being a sunshine pumper, but I am having a hard time finding the rays lately (outside of San Diego Southwestern Vocational Catholic School for the Inferm State).

Leroy Lizard
11/8/2009, 03:29 AM
I simply asked you to name a play that Jones has made that helped the Sooners win a game late?

No you did NOT.

Here is your statement:

Name one play Jones has made when OU needed it in any of their losses.

Losses. Get that? You asked about losses. It is a self-fulfilling prophecy, because if we are forced to select only losses, then naturally we won't be able to find any such play by the very fact that we lost the game.

I mean, c'mon!

soonerboy
11/8/2009, 03:38 AM
What I thought was bad though was the fact that its so obvious that the slant route is Landry's MO and Nebbish was on that route like white on rice all night long.

sooners2win
11/8/2009, 04:40 AM
I have not seen that bad of QB play at OU since the John Blake years. That was pathetic. I'm usually not one to throw players under the bus but Landry cannot deal with pressure at all. I know he hasn't come in under ideal situations but his mistakes have cost the team dearly this year.....Miami, Texas and tonite.

KW was his normal subpar self on the road but he's not why we lost. Jones had a complete and utter meltdown of epic proportions. Maybe he will recover and go onto have a fantastic career at OU but his mental grasp of the game and poise in stressful situations makes me believe he will not be able to handle the OU QB job at OU.

I'm afraid Blake Bell will be another overhyped unproductive recruit that came to OU

FaninAma
11/8/2009, 09:59 AM
I remember when many were predicting incoming transfer Nate Hybl would unseat Josh Heupel in the winter of 99-00.

LOL

Nate wasn't eligible that year so I don't think you
are correct.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/8/2009, 10:01 AM
screw blake bell.

COME BACK SAMMY!!!!! :(

FaninAma
11/8/2009, 10:02 AM
I'm afraid Blake Bell will be another overhyped unproductive recruit that came to OU

I guess we'll see. I do like the fact
that he is more mobile. Statue-like QBs
+ bad OLs = the suc.

rawlingsHOH
11/8/2009, 10:23 AM
Nate wasn't eligible that year so I don't think you
are correct.

Uh, yes he was. Nate was the back-up in 2000.

Okie35
11/8/2009, 10:32 AM
And how just this morning everyone was talking about how great Landry was.

I've come to the sad conclusion that most people are flat out stupid.

Well I mean when you're hot you're hot when your cold... you get it. He's pretty good if he doesn't leave any part of Norman. His stats at home prove that. He won't be great until he can win road games.

Okie35
11/8/2009, 10:34 AM

I highly doubt it... Bell will be pretty good.

tulsaoilerfan
11/8/2009, 10:37 AM
The way he played last night maybe the coaches should have re-considered the redshirting of Allen and gotten him some game action; hell could he have been any worse?

rawlingsHOH
11/8/2009, 10:41 AM
I guess we'll see. I do like the fact
that he is more mobile. Statue-like QBs
+ bad OLs = the suc.

Bomar was mobile is 2005! LOL

My Opinion Matters
11/8/2009, 10:45 AM
Landry had a terrible performance last night, but anyone that believes that he is the problem needs to a step back from the ledge. Landry's not the problem. He's a young qb that still needs a lot of development, and he's pressing because he no faith in the line to make blocks or the receivers to catch the damn ball.

soonerborn45
11/8/2009, 11:00 AM

The RBs played fine. The line more than held their own in the second half. Landry just had a massive meltdown and that worries me a lot.

I just don't think he needs to be handed the reins at QB unless he can actually show some poise and mental toughness and actually make a play or two in tough close games. Also, avoiding critical turnovers would be nice.

You cant in the losses you moron thats why they're losses. No the line did not hold their own because they were getting pushed around like rag dolls. And if you want to think of Jones' play then how about when he went 10 for 10 in the 4th quarter against K-State. I mean if he is worrying you so much then he probably should of played terrible but you know what he helped us win that game.

Monster Zero
11/8/2009, 11:42 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing Blake Bell on the team, but he ain't the solution to what happened last nite.

If I had been in Landry's place with a 300-pound monster of a DL coming to get me on every play, and nothing between me and him except our O-Line I would have $#!+ my pants right there.

We need to go to every Juco in the country and find at least three, preferably five or six Loadholts who can be on campus for spring ball. A couple of centers too.

Some kind of change in the coaching staff needs to happen too. I'm not wise enough to say what it is, but something needs to change.

jkjsooner
11/8/2009, 01:03 PM
I don't disagree about the performance but let's keep it in perspective. The last time we had a freshman QB come in and throw interceptions and play poorly all around we ran the guy out of town and he ended up becoming a hall of famer.

Jones has all of the physical tools and by most accounts has a good head on his shoulders. He was aweful yesterday but I don't see any reason to think that he can't/won't get much better.

(BTW, I recognize Aikman played the next year until he broke his leg and Holiway won the position but the seeds of bad blood between him and OU really began after thke threatening calls after the KU loss the year before.)

FaninAma
11/8/2009, 01:11 PM
Uh, yes he was. Nate was the back-up in 2000.
I thought Patrick Fletcher was. Regardless
your memory is different than mine because
I don't recall anyone wanting Josh to be
replaced.

FaninAma
11/8/2009, 01:21 PM
You cant in the losses you moron thats why they're losses. No the line did not hold their own because they were getting pushed around like rag dolls. And if you want to think of Jones' play then how about when he went 10 for 10 in the 4th quarter against K-State. I mean if he is worrying you so much then he probably should of played terrible but you know what he helped us win that game.

Nice immature, emotional response. The
reason in large part the games ended up
as losses is because we had a QB who made
zero game changing plays and in fact in the
Texas game actually made 2 critical mistakes
that helped Texas put the game away.

How many times was Landry sacked? I
remember Jason White being sacked 8
times against Baylor but being able to
keep his composure and avoid mistakes.

The OL wasn't great but Landry threw a lot
of horrible passes when he has plenty of
time to throw the ball.

Now, let's see if you can act older than 12
and formulate an answer without name-
calling.

jkjsooner
11/8/2009, 01:24 PM
replaced.

I think it was a little different but there were definitely guys wanting Hybl in there. It wasn't so much that they were upset with Heupel's play. Most felt that Heupel was exactly what we needed in '99 but some questioned whether a weak armed QB could take us to the next level.

rawlingsHOH
11/8/2009, 01:28 PM
replaced.

Hybl was the back-up in 2000. Fletcher was 3rd string and holder.

Yes, many people thought the stud transfer from UGA could beat out Heupel.

IronHorseSooner
11/8/2009, 01:32 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Blake Bell on the team, but he ain't the solution to what happened last nite.

If I had been in Landry's place with a 300-pound monster of a DL coming to get me on every play, and nothing between me and him except our O-Line I would have $#!+ my pants right there.

We need to go to every Juco in the country and find at least three, preferably five or six Loadholts who can be on campus for spring ball. A couple of centers too.

Some kind of change in the coaching staff needs to happen too. I'm not wise enough to say what it is, but something needs to change.

^^^Right here! We have two Loadholt-sized guys on the team, Vinson and Alandoye, but they are being redshrited to get them into better shape. This team has 5 schollies available, if I am correct. They need to get Darius White, a kicker, and a few more OL. We have 5 OL coming in, but get a couple more. We probably won't get Jeffcoat, so we need to go to a second option, and recruit need. Also, how about getting some more local kids who GIVE A DARN! I like getting guys like Heywood, Irwin, Colvin, and Wilson. The 2000 team was filled with guys like that (JT Fletcher, Bubba Burcham, Frank Romero, Matt Anderson). Those guys weren't four or five star guys, but they were OU guys from birth.

FaninAma
11/8/2009, 01:34 PM
Bomar was mobile is 2005! LOL

Lol. Bomar played pretty good after the
Texas game and I don't recall him throwing
5 picks in a game. And I don't recall Bomar
giving up like Landry did on the last play
of the game.

FaninAma
11/8/2009, 01:36 PM
Hybl was the back-up in 2000. Fletcher was 3rd string and holder.

Yes, many people thought the stud transfer from UGA could beat out Heupel.

You are probably right on the first count
but I call BS on the second.

soonerborn45
11/8/2009, 01:42 PM
Nice immature, emotional response. The
reason in large part the games ended up
as losses is because we had a QB who made
zero game changing plays and in fact in the
Texas game actually made 2 critical mistakes
that helped Texas put the game away.

How many times was Landry sacked? I
remember Jason White being sacked 8
times against Baylor but being able to
keep his composure and avoid mistakes.

The OL wasn't great but Landry threw a lot
of horrible passes when he has plenty of
time to throw the ball.

Now, let's see if you can act older than 12
and formulate an answer without name-
calling.

OK then idiot, oops my bad, it doesnt matter hwo many times he was sacked. How many times was the line getting pushed back into jones' face causeing those throws to go high. For you to sit there and place all the blame on Jones is ridiculous. All season nobody has made plays. Broyles has been the only good player and he missed the Miami game because he was hurt. BYU game again jones played well enough to win, the defense didnt get the stop they needed. Texas same way, yes he made a dumb throw that got picked off but you know what all qb's make dumb throws. I still don't see what makes you think that blake bell is gonna come in and play better when he hasn't played a snap. And if I hurt your feelings by calling you a moron and an idiot, butch up a little bit.

rawlingsHOH
11/8/2009, 01:45 PM
of the game.
You are right. Though Bomar never came close to attempting 60 passes in a game either. It was more like 20. Or in the Tulsa game, where he was almost never even allowed to throw! LOL

soonerborn45
11/8/2009, 01:46 PM
of the game.

I do recall bomar only throwing 10 touchdown passes in a season. I believe Landry has almost doubled that number in less games. Just saying

rawlingsHOH
11/8/2009, 01:48 PM
You are probably right on the first count
but I call BS on the second.
Go ahead. I read it right here, and OFTEN.

Hybl was going to be the stud that would take the OU spread to the next level.

'Heupel threw too many interceptions and had too weak of an arm to beat the big boys.' LOL

prrriiide
11/8/2009, 03:22 PM
You are using circular logic to defend your opinion.

I simply asked you to name a play that Jones has made that helped the Sooners win a game late?

Right back at ya: name a play that Bradford has made that helped the Sooners win a game late.

Fact is, we don't win games late. We either club some baby seals or we lose.

Leroy Lizard
11/8/2009, 03:53 PM
Landry Jones will be just fine. He had a horrible night, but he has played very well for us this year and stepped in when we lost our starter. Without him, we are totally screwed so we should appreciate what he has done for us so far.

Otherwise, state the alternative.

C'mon, let's support him and go out and beat A&M.

Jboozer
11/8/2009, 04:04 PM
Landry played horrible last night, but I don't think that means we all just give up on him. I do think that He and Bell need to be in equal competition for the starting job next year, it should only help both players. Bomar had horrible games like this his frosh year, and by the end of it we were all saying we would be in the MNC the next year, so lets all just cool down and see if he comes around.

bluedogok
11/8/2009, 04:24 PM
The way he played last night maybe the coaches should have re-considered the redshirting of Allen and gotten him some game action; hell could he have been any worse?
Why burn a redshirt when this has become an obvious "rebuilding" year? Unless it is a situation where you just run out of bodies for a particular position and have no other options you don't burn a redshirt after you have three losses, otherwise you live with what you have and get through the rest of the season.

I have come to accept the fact that this is 2005 all over again. There could be a few more losses to come this season as well. Let them grow, learn and get better and go after it next season.

Leroy Lizard
11/8/2009, 05:32 PM
I feel pretty certain that Landry will throw at least three TDs this coming week and will have a great night. We will beat A&M.

I just feel the guy is better than everyone is painting him. He will turn be a good, maybe even great, QB for us.

MyT Oklahoma
11/8/2009, 08:42 PM
Landry Jones will be just fine. He had a horrible night, but he has played very well for us this year and stepped in when we lost our starter. Without him, we are totally screwed so we should appreciate what he has done for us so far.

Otherwise, state the alternative.

C'mon, let's support him and go out and beat A&M.

^^ I agree 100%. Last night's game is history and we have three games left to play. Let's look ahead to next weekend and support our team.

sooneron
11/8/2009, 09:03 PM
I can't believe I am agreeing so much with LL.

This dogpile is flipping spoiled. Sad thing is, my dad sounds the same way. Of course, he still expects pre - 85 schooly limits results.

Landry had a really bad game and it's ridiculous to throw him under the bus because he has performed pretty admirably under these circumstances til last night. It was obvious that he was pressing and trying too hard. Someone really should have sat his *** down and tried to bring him back after the 3rd int. I didn't see that happening. A loss is still a team loss and this loss in on the offense. Obviously, it wasn't Landry's night. Maybe some of you should give him the benefit of the doubt.

Fan- comparing this game to White's game against friggin baylor is flippin retarded.

rawlings - I joined this board prior to the 00 season and NO ONE was talking about Hybl unseating Josh in 00. Everyone was excited about him being the next step once Josh was gone.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/8/2009, 09:28 PM
Every once in awhile, this board reminds me of just how football retarded a LOT of Sooner fans are. Spoiled little retards with upside down texass stickers on their helmets.

Every poorly thrown ball, from floaters to wormburners, has a reason. That reason was one single solitary thing. Poor footwork, predominantly throwing from his back foot from pocket with a little bit of not squaring his shoulders on the roll. And take a flying guess why a redshirt freshman would be throwing off his back foot and not taking the time to open up his pads to get around on the ball off the rollout.

The LINE.

You want to hinge that loss on ANYBODY, from Landry to Stoops to Kevin Wilson to the wide receiver corps, you hinge it on an offensive front that's allowed your Heisman trophy winning quarterback to be eaten alive TWICE, has made arguably one of the best running backs in the nation look like a cut rate toolbag, has completely shattered any semblance whatsoever of executing an offensive gameplan as designed, and has a very talented but young man with a daring mustache on his heels so he doesn't eat a face full of pain damn near every down. Add a DT that's a top 5 draft pick to that cauldron of *** and there's not a redshirt freshman in the WORLD that could execute with any semblance of success.

Lay blame where blame is due. Learn the game. And for once, take off your damn retard helmet and pay attention to something besides the glittery lights. Jesus.

rawlingsHOH
11/9/2009, 12:19 AM
rawlings - I joined this board prior to the 00 season and NO ONE was talking about Hybl unseating Josh in 00. Everyone was excited about him being the next step once Josh was gone.
You are wrong. It was often discussed.

People thought there would be an open QB competition.... until they saw the 00 spring game.

delhalew
11/9/2009, 12:25 AM
Every once in awhile, this board reminds me of just how football retarded a LOT of Sooner fans are. Spoiled little retards with upside down texass stickers on their helmets.

Every poorly thrown ball, from floaters to wormburners, has a reason. That reason was one single solitary thing. Poor footwork, predominantly throwing from his back foot from pocket with a little bit of not squaring his shoulders on the roll. And take a flying guess why a redshirt freshman would be throwing off his back foot and not taking the time to open up his pads to get around on the ball off the rollout.

The LINE.

You want to hinge that loss on ANYBODY, from Landry to Stoops to Kevin Wilson to the wide receiver corps, you hinge it on an offensive front that's allowed your Heisman trophy winning quarterback to be eaten alive TWICE, has made arguably one of the best running backs in the nation look like a cut rate toolbag, has completely shattered any semblance whatsoever of executing an offensive gameplan as designed, and has a very talented but young man with a daring mustache on his heels so he doesn't eat a face full of pain damn near every down. Add a DT that's a top 5 draft pick to that cauldron of *** and there's not a redshirt freshman in the WORLD that could execute with any semblance of success.

Lay blame where blame is due. Learn the game. And for once, take off your damn retard helmet and pay attention to something besides the glittery lights. Jesus.

Whatta ya know? Somebody was paying attention.

sooneron
11/9/2009, 07:40 AM

People thought there would be an open QB competition.... until they saw the 00 spring game.

No it wasn't. Odd, that you claim this having joined SF a few months ago.:rolleyes:

Maybe your definition of "discussed" is a tad bit off. If you mean one or two posters dissenting, then MAYBE. It was "discussed".

Bourbon St Sooner
11/9/2009, 10:28 AM
Landry had a terrible performance last night, but anyone that believes that he is the problem needs to a step back from the ledge. Landry's not the problem. He's a young qb that still needs a lot of development, and he's pressing because he no faith in the line to make blocks or the receivers to catch the damn ball.

This. And Stoops, can you recruit a ****ing kicker? Maybe he doesn't force some of those throws if we know we have a reliable kicker. But without that we know we have to get it in the end zone. If we had a kicker, we could have kicked field goals all night and beaten that crappy team.

What the **** happened to our special teams?! We used to have dominant special teams and now they're a ****ing joke!

KRYPTON
11/9/2009, 10:34 AM
The greatest QB in Oklahoma history is always the next one, right?

Let's put a true freshman in with an OL and WR's of this caliber and a defense of Nebraska's caliber and he'll put Landry to shame... double-digit INT's for sure! You'll have to use BOTH HANDS to count them up, genius!

Pricetag
11/9/2009, 10:57 AM
They didn't end up nail biters, but in the wins against Kansas and K-State, in both cases the offense came out and put together back-to-back drives for TDs to put some distance in games that were tight. We sure didn't do it running the ball, so I'd say Landry had a little bit to do with that.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/9/2009, 10:59 AM
What!?

Landry Jones had something to do with success!?

CRAZY talk! CUH-RAYZEE! He iz t3h wurst EVAR!

Insert eyeroll here.

goingoneight
11/9/2009, 12:49 PM
of the game.

Do you remember him fumbling seven snaps in one game? Because I do. I also remember him spiking the ball and nearly costing us a safety, I remember him running head-first at linebackers and throwing nearly every pass wildly off-target. Maybe I pay too much attention, but Bomar might not have had five picks, but he was worse than Landry. Way worse.

MamaMia
11/9/2009, 11:47 PM

People thought there would be an open QB competition.... until they saw the 00 spring game. However I don't ever have any links to back up all these statements/accusations that I pin on large masses of the OU fans who post on this board.. fixed. "LOL" :rolleyes:

...and for the record, I have no recollection of "everyone" saying any of the things you're claiming they said either.

Pricetag
11/10/2009, 01:52 AM
I remember a bunch of people thinking that Josh was going to be a one-year wonder, but that was before the '99 season, when we didn't know what he brought to the table.