PDA

View Full Version : BRAVO to my fiance on a kickass opera last week!

proud gonzo
11/7/2009, 12:52 AM
I haven't been on here a ton recently, but most of y'all know I'm engaged to an opera singer. He just closed a run of "A View from the Bridge" last weekend and got a wonderful review in the Brooklyn Eagle: LINK!!! (http://www.brooklyneagle.com/categories/category.php?category_id=12&id=31794). Some of you asked about him at the Baylor tailgate, so I wanted to share. I couldn't be prouder of him!

Oh, and good news! I was disappointed he couldn't come for a tailgate this year, BUT he's decided to apply to work on a DMA at OU! So He's moving here with me in January and if all goes well he'll be a Sooner in time for next season :D

Eddie Carbone was in the powerful hands of William Browning who brought nuance, then ever growing madness to his character. He literally imploded then exploded. Eddie Carbone’s obsession towards Catherine and his hatred of Rodolpho came to the fore in the scene where he, in a drunken stupor kisses Catherine, then kisses Rodolpho, implying Rodolpho is not “all man.” Browning’s ringing and robust vibrant baritone was thrilling. Browning (as Carbone) interacting with his wife Beatrice showed the dark hue that overruled all reason and logic and a stubbornness that overwhelmed him and propelled his character to his doom. This was a truly great theatrical and vocal performance. Eddie Carbone’s demise was like the death of Othello, where the audience is left with hatred of the sin but compassion for the sinner.
© Brooklyn Daily Eagle 2009

colleyvillesooner
11/7/2009, 02:00 AM
Congrats!

Tailwind
11/7/2009, 02:36 AM
Bravo! (society applause).

SCOUT
11/7/2009, 02:53 AM
Bravo indeed! Opera is the most impressive form of singing, from a talent perspective, IMO.

proud gonzo
11/7/2009, 03:19 AM
I wish I had a video of him singing that I could post. Maybe next time I see him :)

Frozen Sooner
11/7/2009, 04:09 AM
He literally imploded then exploded?

Messy wedding, it seems. ;)

Congratulations to William on a bravura performance.

olevetonahill
11/7/2009, 08:51 AM
Allsome
Like Jaux said , Sounds like he done good on Both fronts :cool:

FaninAma
11/7/2009, 11:42 AM
Congrats to your fiancee PG . I always heard that singers get the cutest girls.

Chuck Bao
11/7/2009, 12:02 PM
If he is earning such glowing reviews in NY and still wants to get his DMA at OU to be close to you, he must be alright. Congrats are definitely in order!

StoopTroup
11/7/2009, 03:48 PM
AWESOME PG!

http://adamsandler.jt.org/tv/saturday_night/operaman/operaman4.jpg

SunnySooner
11/7/2009, 03:55 PM
Bravo!! Congrats on the engagement, he does sound like a keeper!

proud gonzo
11/7/2009, 05:47 PM

Congratulations to William on a bravura performance.ok, so I disagree with the critic's incorrect use of "literally", but aside from that it was a great review! :D

TUSooner
11/9/2009, 01:58 PM

Congratulations to William on a bravura performance.

Yeah. That's what I thought. Glad there were no pictures.

I hate when people say "literally" when the mean EXACTLY NOT literally.

Bravo for Bill, er William. If he were in New Orleans, I'd beg him to sing at our church; we need a boss baritone.

And yes, he is a lucky guy.

NormanPride
11/9/2009, 02:24 PM
Cool! Looks like you got a good one. :)

C&CDean
11/9/2009, 03:09 PM
The only problem is going to be reading his reviews in the Daily Oklahoman. He won't know how to take it. They'll go something like:

"Ol' Willy Browning played Eddie Carbone in that opera shindig up at the Cox Center last night. He done real good. Boy's got a set of pipes on him that'll tickle your taint. He bossed his old lady around real good, and the only problem was that he got confused and kissed him a man. On the mouth. Guess he couldn't see it was a man.

When ol' Willy got kilt, everybody thought it was like Landry Jones against Nebraska. You hated the sin, but kinda liked the sinner."

proud gonzo
11/9/2009, 06:44 PM
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/6137/view1g.jpg

C&CDean
11/10/2009, 11:22 AM
An angry Nicholas Cage? And is that Janet Reno on the left side of the pic?

Collier11
11/10/2009, 11:35 AM
I think those are all of the mormom moms who had their kids stolen by the FBI

proud gonzo
11/10/2009, 01:57 PM
An angry Nicholas Cage? And is that Janet Reno on the left side of the pic?
hah! She does kinda look like Janet Reno. Not seeing Nicholas Cage, though. :D

StoopTroup
11/10/2009, 02:10 PM
I think those are all of the mormom moms who had their kids stolen by the FBI

I'm thinking the one to his left isn't Morman. I could be wrong though.

Collier11
11/10/2009, 02:13 PM
do you mean the right?

StoopTroup
11/10/2009, 02:15 PM
do you mean the right?

His left?

Remind me to never let you drive.

Collier11
11/10/2009, 02:27 PM
why would I be looking at his left?

proud gonzo
11/12/2009, 05:22 PM
Woo! A review in Opera Today (http://www.operatoday.com/content/2009/11/a_view_from_the.php)!

At VPR all the voices were big and in tune and hardly seemed “operatic,” so natural and intense was the acting. William Browning, in the unsympathetic but tragic role of Eddie, seemed especially in command of every vocal nuance and every gesture. He has a longshoreman’s barrel chest and a big, agreeable baritone, but he is also a presence: his slow burn was almost as loud as his vocalism.

© 2005-2009 Opera Today, Inc.

:D :D :D

pilobolus
11/13/2009, 09:47 PM
I don't believe the words "kickass" and "opera" should ever be in the same sentence.

Frozen Sooner
11/13/2009, 09:49 PM
Oh, I don't know.

"If pilobus doesn't recognize the genius of PG's opera-singing fiance, she will kickass all over him."

proud gonzo
11/13/2009, 10:41 PM
I don't believe the words "kickass" and "opera" should ever be in the same sentence.
You're a noob with negative spek, so when you neg me it's grey instead of red. You can stop trying now.

GottaHavePride
11/13/2009, 10:43 PM
Or "If pilobus bedowngrades opera while a mod on this board is an opera conductor, he might just get negged to Bolivian, and that would be kickass."

:D

olevetonahill
11/13/2009, 10:45 PM
Heh
I started him on his trip :D

pilobolus
11/15/2009, 12:04 PM
Maybe an opera thread and the manliest thread should be merged?

proud gonzo
11/15/2009, 02:48 PM
sounds like an appropriate combination to me.

C&CDean
11/16/2009, 11:01 AM
Maybe an opera thread and the manliest thread should be merged?

Real men don't eat quiche, right? I love the ****. And why don't you just say one negative word about Harry Potter and see what happens.

Chuck Bao
11/16/2009, 02:32 PM
I hope PG doesn't mind if I paste in a tribute to Madill's former opera star.

I was googling Judy Bounds Coleman and saddened to find out that she passed away on June 30. She was a great Oklahoman, an OU grad and quite a character.

I didn't know her very well, but I hauled hay on her ranch on the Black Land Farm road for several summers. As a teenager, I was fascinated when she would talk about her time studying in Europe. She did inspire me to think that despite a humble upbringing, we can go out on the big world stage and succeed.

Judy Bounds Coleman
December 23, 1927 - June 30, 2009

Biography

Judy Bounds Coleman, 81 of Kingston, Oklahoma passed away Tuesday, June 30, 2009 at the Heritage Manor in Plano, Texas. She was born on December 23, 1927 in Ardmore, Oklahoma to the late Frank Bounds and Mattie Lee Moss Bounds. She was raised in Kingston and moved to Madill where she graduated Madill High School. Judy attended and graduated from the University of Oklahoma where she received a Masters Degree in Fine Arts. She taught at the Kansas State University for several years before moving to Europe where she coached and sang opera professionally for over 20 years. She also sang at Raymond Gary’s Inauguration. She returned from Europe to run the old homestead place and to keep the original Y Bar Brand in continuous use. Judy was a member of the Holy Cross Catholic Church and she enjoyed painting and singing.

NormanPride
11/16/2009, 02:46 PM
Real men don't eat quiche, right? I love the ****. And why don't you just say one negative word about Harry Potter and see what happens.

Harry was a wuss.

Ron for Prime Minister.

Oh, and PG's guy is kickass. :D

C&CDean
11/16/2009, 02:50 PM
How do you like that Green Bay yellow card there Mr. Badjer's Husband?

NormanPride
11/16/2009, 02:59 PM
GREEN AND GOLD, BABY!

C&CDean
11/16/2009, 03:01 PM
GREEN AND GOLD, BABY!

I don't think red mixed with yellow equals either one of those colors.:texan:

NormanPride
11/16/2009, 03:03 PM
:(