PDA

View Full Version : Best Bar in Norman to Watch the Game?

sooner KB
11/5/2009, 08:36 PM
OK, so I'm planning on being in Norman on Saturday night and will be going to a bar to watch the game. Where should I go?

Things to consider:

How many OU fans will be there watching the game? Just a few, and the rest of the people in the bar won't be watching or will be watching but will barely care what's happening? Will it be filled with cheering Sooners?

Will I have a good view of the game? Does the bar have flat screens everywhere?

Having the audio of the game broadcast over the speakers of the bar is a must, but will I be able to hear it (at least when the crowd isn't cheering after a TD)?

I don't know how many Normanites frequent this message board. I am probably more of an expert on Norman bars than most on here due to the fact that I'm a former OU student. I've only watched an OU away game at a Norman bar once though, it was at Louie's Too. I can't really complain about the bar or the experience. There weren't a ton of people interested in the game though.

So what do you guys think? Would the bar at Sooner Legends be ideal? I've never even been there.

yermom
11/5/2009, 08:40 PM
the first place to come to mind is the Vista :(

Monster Zero
11/5/2009, 08:41 PM
Check out Pepe DelGado's new place on Campus Corner. About 4 doors south of his old place on Asp.

All the good Mexican brews, nice atmosphere and some of the best Mexican food anywhere, I suppose.

sooner KB
11/5/2009, 09:13 PM
the first place to come to mind is the Vista :(

hmmm... not a bad suggestion, I know they serve the Sooner Swirl there. (It is a chick drink, but totally justified for a dude if drunken during an OU game.) Being kind of isolated though, I couldn't ditch the bar if I weren't digging the environment and go somewhere else. Well wait, actually I could go across the street to Coach's. I just remembered that I once watched an OU game there and it was great. A lot of fans and a large TV. hmmm...

Check out Pepe DelGado's new place on Campus Corner. About 4 doors south of his old place on Asp.

All the good Mexican brews, nice atmosphere and some of the best Mexican food anywhere, I suppose.

I can't recall a "Pepe DelGado's" at all, but I just went to bar bars back in my college day, as opposed to restaurants that have bars in them. I dig the environment of pure bars a little more.

I think I'll just hop from bar to bar around campus corner until I feel nice and snug at one.

Soonerus
11/5/2009, 09:39 PM
Vista is closed...

gaylordfan1
11/5/2009, 09:43 PM
I always went to O'Connells Irish Pub on the south side of campus... The new one is bigger and I believe they have a large projector screen. I went there when it was Al's place during games. I bet New York Pizza has a little bar and plenty of big screens.

yermom
11/5/2009, 09:46 PM
hmmm... not a bad suggestion, I know they serve the Sooner Swirl there. (It is a chick drink, but totally justified for a dude if drunken during an OU game.) Being kind of isolated though, I couldn't ditch the bar if I weren't digging the environment and go somewhere else. Well wait, actually I could go across the street to Coach's. I just remembered that I once watched an OU game there and it was great. A lot of fans and a large TV. hmmm...

I can't recall a "Pepe DelGado's" at all, but I just went to bar bars back in my college day, as opposed to restaurants that have bars in them. I dig the environment of pure bars a little more.

I think I'll just hop from bar to bar around campus corner until I feel nice and snug at one.

as Rus said, it's closed. structural issues. there are a few threads about it on the SO. i love Swirls :D

OU-HSV
11/5/2009, 09:46 PM
I've gone to Coaches after a couple of OU games before and we were able to watch some of the late games on tv's there. As far as specifically watching the OU game there, I bet it will be packed so I'd get there early. (some of the Norman residents could give you a better idea though)

Also, there's a Buffalo Wild Wings in Moore off I-35. It's always a good place to watch games at. Plenty of tv's, beer, food...etc. I've also gone there to watch games after leaving an OU game in the past.

tommieharris91
11/5/2009, 09:57 PM
Try O'Connell's on Campus Corner.

SbOrOiNaEnR
11/5/2009, 11:28 PM

O'Connell's is on Lindsey Street. Frat'Connell's is on Campus Corner. ;)

IBleedCrimson
11/5/2009, 11:30 PM
One place not to go: brothers. That place is a stank hole and the owner is one of the worst humans I've ever had the displeasure of meeting. That + crazy expensive drinks = bad times

Soonerus
New sports bar on Campus Corner...Sugars...

Soonerus
One place not to go: brothers. That place is a stank hole and the owner is one of the worst humans I've ever had the displeasure of meeting. That + crazy expensive drinks = bad times

Wow, sounds like a bad experience...

sooner518
11/5/2009, 11:33 PM

I got food poisoning from there right after the OSU game in 2007. I puked my guts out the entire night, and then had to drive 10 hours back to Denver the next day. one of the most unpleasant 36 hours of my life. never eating there again

IBleedCrimson
11/5/2009, 11:40 PM
I got food poisoning from there right after the OSU game in 2007. I puked my guts out the entire night, and then had to drive 10 hours back to Denver the next day. one of the most unpleasant 36 hours of my life. never eating there again

That sounds awful... And completely unsurprising. Place has an insane number of health code violations every year

SunnySooner
11/5/2009, 11:41 PM
I used to wait tables at the Vista, many moons ago, those elevators did seem rickety, can't say I'm surprised about the structural issues. Interesting side note--the actor from OK, Ed Harris (A Beautiful Mind, Pollock, etc.), his brother worked in the kitchens there, and Ed and his wife Amy Madigan(the wife in Field of Dreams) came in a time or two. His brother, Paul, looked a lot like Ed, except his face was scarred from combat in Vietnam, and I guess he'd had a pretty rough life since then. Anyway, sad to hear it's closed, maybe they can fix it. When I worked there, the food was yummy.

Soonerus
11/5/2009, 11:47 PM
I used to wait tables at the Vista, many moons ago, those elevators did seem rickety, can't say I'm surprised about the structural issues. Interesting side note--the actor from OK, Ed Harris (A Beautiful Mind, Pollock, etc.), his brother worked in the kitchens there, and Ed and his wife Amy Madigan(the wife in Field of Dreams) came in a time or two. His brother, Paul, looked a lot like Ed, except his face was scarred from combat in Vietnam, and I guess he'd had a pretty rough life since then. Anyway, sad to hear it's closed, maybe they can fix it. When I worked there, the food was yummy.

Did you know two of the three owners have died ???

IBleedCrimson
11/5/2009, 11:48 PM
O and in response to the original poster: Any bar in On campus
corner will be good. Since it's an away game you'll be able to find a decent table with a good view most places. It will definitely have other sooner fans, but the diehards will either be in Lincoln or at home somewhere other than in Norman. Now if it was a home game it would be a
different story but since it's not you won't have any problems

sooner59
11/5/2009, 11:49 PM
I watched the Idaho St. game at Buffalo Wild Wings, and it was packed with Sooner Fans. Lots of TVs, projector screens, and smaller flat screens with 1 or 2 other games going on in the nation. Not in Norman, but it was a good time.

Soonerus
11/5/2009, 11:49 PM
O and in response to the original poster: Any bar in On campus
corner will be good. Since it's an away game you'll be able to find a decent table with a good view most places. It will definitely have other sooner fans, but the diehards will either be in Lincoln or at home somewhere other than in Norman. Now if it was a home game it would be a
different story but since it's not you won't have any problems

Are you suggesting no diehards live in Norman ???

sooner59
11/5/2009, 11:51 PM
New sports bar on Campus Corner...Sugars...

You might mistake a few girls in that place for actually football players. :eek:

IBleedCrimson
11/5/2009, 11:58 PM
Are you suggesting no diehards live in Norman ???

Lol absolutely not. But most diehards stay home and bbq or go to the game. There isn't a big diehard bar crowd out in force to watch away games.

SoonerPixie
11/5/2009, 11:59 PM
I would suggest BJ's they have around 20 TV's or so and a big screen. Plus. It's a nice place with great food.

And BWW is another good place as the person above me said

yermom
11/6/2009, 12:02 AM
Lol absolutely not. But most diehards stay home and bbq or go to the game. There isn't a big diehard bar crowd out in force to watch away games.

yeah, i never really watched away games in bars in Norman when i was there

now i really don't :D

BJ's is a solid choice. i forgot about that place

Leroy Lizard
11/6/2009, 12:06 AM

Greasiest Mexican food I have ever eaten.

Soonerus
11/6/2009, 12:10 AM
I tend to agree, as a Normanite, when OU plays out of town I do not go to a commercial establishment to watch the game...too distracting...

TXBOOMER
11/6/2009, 12:14 AM
I watched OSU Houston until I went to get soaked at the tator state game at Logans. It was good. I generally go to the Library to get primed up but if I'm in Norman it is to go to the game.

soonerborn30
11/6/2009, 12:27 AM
Logan's is good. Right on Campus Corner so it's next to Louie's, across from O'Connell's, and down the street from Sugers. Logan's has tons of TVs, good food, hot waitresses, and cheap beer specials. And once 11:30 rolls around, you'll have more eye candy parading around than you can shake a 24oz. Modelo at.

GottaHavePride
11/6/2009, 12:34 AM
I used to LOVE watching away games at The Vista.

Champions was my 2nd choice. Both are now closed.

Now I'd hit Coach's or have people over to my house.

Soonerus
11/6/2009, 12:37 AM
I used to LOVE watching away games at The Vista.

Champions was my 2nd choice. Both are now closed.

Now I'd hit Coach's or have people over to my house.

Other than a house, I tend to agree on Coach's, that is the only place I have watched an OU game...once...

GKeeper316
11/6/2009, 12:39 AM
pi phi house.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/6/2009, 01:01 AM
Greasiest Mexican food I have ever eaten.That adjective was the hallmark of the original Denco's. Ah, for a darlin with one lookin' at me!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/6/2009, 01:03 AM
pi phi house.'D'Oh!

jmg1986
11/6/2009, 10:07 AM
If you are gonna get a Darlin, might as well get TWO Lookin at Ya!!!!!!

sooneron
11/6/2009, 12:50 PM
More side notes...

Ed's not really from OK, he went to OU. He's from Jersey. He went to OU partly because his parents had relocated out in the region.
His brother had many problems ( I worked with him briefly at The Mont). I never heard anything about Nam, but I do know that he was riding his bike (inebriated) , flew over the handlebars and did face plant on what many people call city titties (Those yellow road things that looked like hard hats or boobs sticking out of the yellow line in the road back innaday). I'm pretty sure he broke a couple of bones in his face and he never looked the same after that incident. That was around 88 or so. I remember because I was there when he was telling how it happened to Bridget and a few others at The Mont.

SunnySooner
11/6/2009, 02:37 PM
More side notes...

Ed's not really from OK, he went to OU. He's from Jersey. He went to OU partly because his parents had relocated out in the region.
His brother had many problems ( I worked with him briefly at The Mont). I never heard anything about Nam, but I do know that he was riding his bike (inebriated) , flew over the handlebars and did face plant on what many people call city titties (Those yellow road things that looked like hard hats or boobs sticking out of the yellow line in the road back innaday). I'm pretty sure he broke a couple of bones in his face and he never looked the same after that incident. That was around 88 or so. I remember because I was there when he was telling how it happened to Bridget and a few others at The Mont.

I don't doubt it, that was just the story the waitstaff whispered when someone asked "What happened to that dude's face?" I knew him in the early 90's so it would've been pretty fresh at that point. I felt sorry for him, especially with a famous actor for a brother, and the half of his face that wasn't damaged was nice-looking, and he had those light eyes that Ed has. Hope he's well wherever he may be.

gaylordfan1
11/6/2009, 03:50 PM
After carful consideration.... I would go to BJ's! The 10-20 TV's at the bar can convert to show one station on all of them... so its one huge TV! I would try the white shark pizza... awesome!

sooner KB
11/7/2009, 10:19 AM
Logan's is good. Right on Campus Corner so it's next to Louie's, across from O'Connell's, and down the street from Sugers. Logan's has tons of TVs, good food, hot waitresses, and cheap beer specials. And once 11:30 rolls around, you'll have more eye candy parading around than you can shake a 24oz. Modelo at.

Yes I know about Logan's and the eye candy, etc. Way too distracting for an OU football game.

SWFloridaSooner
11/7/2009, 10:29 AM
I would have said O'Connell's or Vista, I've watched games at both, but I didn't know Vista was closed and haven't been there since O'Connell's moved. So, I guess I'm really no help at all.

tanjou
11/7/2009, 11:34 AM
Don't you dare go to BJ's or BWW or some chain restaurant to watch football in Norman. O'Connell's, Brothers, New York Pizza, hell even Logan's.

chantundefeated
11/7/2009, 02:02 PM
You should go to Suger's. I went there on my 22nd birthday after a few shots at O'Connell's and it was a great time. The eye candy at Logan's doesn't even compare to that at Suger's. It's one of the better bars in Norman....right up there with Bill's.

ouduckhunter
11/7/2009, 02:04 PM
Don't know, but I saw a good fight at Louie's last Saturday night after the game! :D

Collier11
11/7/2009, 02:09 PM

Dont go to Oconns unless you want extremely slow service and beer that isnt very cold.

Im going to Buffalo Wild Wings in Moore, BJs would be a good place. If you want to stay on campus id go to Louies