PDA

View Full Version : Heisman Logic

SoonerSinger3
11/5/2009, 11:42 AM
The Heisman committee/board/espn really needs to revisit its logic on determining Heisman candidates. Colt McCoy has thrown 15 TDs to 8 INTs. His completion percentage is great again at 72%(however we know how often they throw vertically down the field so that stat is misleading sorry Texas fans) and has thrown for 1977 yds. Landry has thrown for 17TDs and 6INTS for 1657 yds at a 62.4% completion percentage. Also Landry basically has 2 full games where he hasn't played. He is lacking also 3 years of experienced compared to Colt. So tell me how Colt is still being mentioned as a top 5 candidate and Landry is not? I'm not saying I think Landry should be mentioned in the heisman race, because he shouldn't. But it seems to me like this year Colt and Tebow are still only in the race because of what they did last year and also because the Media looks upon both players as "Angels that simply can do no wrong". They are good kids, but cmon. And another question. What is more important in determining the winner: Statistics or how valuable that player is to the team? Because I have seen years when the player that had outrageous statistics won over a player that was probably more valuable to the team and vice versa.

1890MilesToNorman
11/5/2009, 11:48 AM
If ponyboy wasn't in the discussion then the whorns would hire planes to make sure the world knows he is the chosen one, I think the FAA stepped in to prevent that from happening.

BermudaSooner
11/5/2009, 11:51 AM
Colt's a product of being a front runner at the beginning of the year, and nobody else really stepping up and having incredible performances week after week. There are no Matt Leinarts, Adrian Petersons, Barry Sanders out there throwing up crazy numbers.

Once again, another "too bad Sam got hurt" issue, as he would have had a very good shot at repeating given the lack of anybody really doing anything outstanding.

SoonerSinger3
11/5/2009, 11:51 AM
haha...Yes, I also think that freshman should recieve as much consideration as upper classmen. There is no objectivity it seems like in the Heisman, completely subjective. It's a moot point now, but how in the world does Adrian not win the Heisman in '04? I'm not a "homer fan" and I would dare to say that the majority of the nation would agree that Adrian should have won it that year(outside of USC fans).

Crucifax Autumn
11/5/2009, 11:57 AM
Colt is the media's apology for the overall condemnation of gay marriage. Throwing the rainbow crowd a bone so to speak.

SoonerSinger3
11/5/2009, 12:08 PM
oh geez...haha

badger
11/5/2009, 12:10 PM
I don't mind Colt getting it, other than him being a Texas boy and all. As I said before, even though the Oregon QB doesn't have the stats, he certainly had a good game against the unbeatable, mighty, greatest-team-in-the-history-of-whatever USC. That alone might get Phil Knight to dole out some dollars for a Heisman campaign.

New York billboard? Perhaps. Let's just hope he doesn't had a badly-timed ad once again (His last Heisman campaign was a 30-second ad promoting Dennis Dixon during an Oregon game, moments after Dixon tore his ACL versus Arizona)

OUbasketball4life
11/5/2009, 12:19 PM
If it's about numbers than you have to look at Case Keenum over 3200 yds passing thus far 25 TDS to 5 INT at 72% completion rate...If it's about consistency Case as well his worst game this season was 233 yds passing on 36 attempts. Jimmy Claussen has played well this season with the exception of the Purdue game in which they still won but wasn't his best game. Most popular and the media choice will be from a big time school elimanting Case, so more than likely Mark Ingram, Jimmy Claussen, Tim Tebow, and Colt Mccoy is going to be the main 4. I don't see Mark winning unless he goes all out against LSU and UF. I don't know but I believe it will come down to Jimmy, Timmy, and Ponyboy. I think it'll end up going to Colt...why? The toughest team they play the rest of the regular season is @A&M. Look for Colt to inflate those numbers remain at #2 win Big 12 and go on to play for it all. Oh well

Crucifax Autumn
11/5/2009, 12:23 PM
Yes, but if he totally blows a game he really should win he's done.

SoonerSinger3
11/5/2009, 12:32 PM
Right now, I would vote Ingram #1. Not only has he put up great numbers, he has been the most valuable player to Bama's offense. Bama's offense has struggled for the most part, and Ingram has been the bright spot on the team. The way I see the person most deserving of the Heisman is this simple: Where would his team be without him? So in that case damnit, I guess Tebow and Colt need to be in the discussion.

SoonerSinger3
11/5/2009, 12:38 PM
I think Broyles could possibly be in the Heisman discussion next year. Of course he won't win it.

yermom
11/5/2009, 12:38 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/heisman09/index

Colt's not looking too good there...

i think a lot of teams need to lose for him to get back in the discussion

and Peterson didn't win largely because of Jason White, and vice versa

SoonerSinger3
11/5/2009, 12:40 PM
yeah true.

TMcGee86
11/5/2009, 12:41 PM
Case Keenum should win.

The fact that his defense sux and lost them the UTEP game shouldn't prevent him from being recognized for what he is.

yermom
11/5/2009, 12:46 PM
is he any better than the Hawai'i and Tech QBs of the last 10 years?

badger
11/5/2009, 12:53 PM
Peterson didn't win largely because of Jason White, and vice versa

JW did everything he could to help AD win - publicly saying he didn't want the Heisman again, publicly saying he would use his "Heisman winners get a vote" status to vote for AD to win, publicly turning down offers for "Heisman battle" covers a la Charles White vs. Billy Sims "That's MY Heisman" tributes.

JW did everything he could... except play crappily enough to not deserve a second Heisman.

We miss you, Jason! :)

TMcGee86
11/5/2009, 01:03 PM
is he any better than the Hawai'i and Tech QBs of the last 10 years?

I don't think UH's offense is quite as gimicky as those two teams.

Plus they didn't go to my high school. That's probably the main difference. ;)

Collier11
11/5/2009, 01:07 PM
The Heisman should never be about just stats or any kind of a career award, case in point Weinker beating Heupel, unfortunately it typically is

yermom
11/5/2009, 01:36 PM
i think Weinke had like 1000 more yards than Heupel

Heupel was playing hurt the last part of the season too, so his numbers trailed off

yermom
11/5/2009, 01:38 PM
I don't think UH's offense is quite as gimicky as those two teams.

Plus they didn't go to my high school. That's probably the main difference. ;)

well, to be fair, they usually didn't have the W/L numbers either. beating the two Big 12 teams they did is pretty cool, but throwing 50+ touchdowns isn't really that uncommon anymore

jumperstop
11/5/2009, 01:51 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/heisman09/index

Colt's not looking too good there...

i think a lot of teams need to lose for him to get back in the discussion

and Peterson didn't win largely because of Jason White, and vice versa

2. Tim Tebow, Florida: Those suffering from Tebow Fatigue rush to bash his passing numbers. But he does rank eighth nationally in efficiency -- and once again, that tells only a fraction of the story. Tebow also has run for 551 yards and eight touchdowns in the best defensive conference in the country. And his winning streak (18) now stretches well beyond a year.

This Tebow love is pissin me off just as much as the love for McCoy. So, to be considered the best player in the country, you really only have to be the eigth best. A player can only be considered the best if he plays in the so called "best conference". I also seemed to forget that Flordia's players were injured for the last 18 games, so the winning streak is HIS. The university plans to change their name to The University of Tebow.

Collier11
11/5/2009, 02:51 PM
yea and anyone who is honest knew that Heupel was the best QB in the country that year, stats be damned

TMcGee86
11/5/2009, 03:02 PM
well, to be fair, they usually didn't have the W/L numbers either. beating the two Big 12 teams they did is pretty cool, but throwing 50+ touchdowns isn't really that uncommon anymore

very true. I remember thinking during Jason White's year that I couldn't believe 40 tds and 8 ints. It seemed like it should be a record. Now it's just a pretty good season.

yermom
11/5/2009, 03:15 PM
when most of the ballots were cast, JW was at 40:4, which was insane

but QBs at other schools have gone over 50 TDs multiple times and not even gotten invites to NY

Crucifax Autumn
11/5/2009, 05:41 PM
Andre Ware got one for throwing a gazillion TDs. Now he's just a dooshtard, so maybe the Heisman is overrated!

PLaw
11/5/2009, 06:04 PM
Great year for a D-player to emerge on "the list". Suh, Spykes, McCoy, are all certainly worthy.

BOOMER

freshchris05
11/5/2009, 06:47 PM
My personal feelings aside, the fact that Tim Tebow is even in Heisman conversation is an embarrassment to the trophy and proves that its more about a media love fest than being the most exciting player in college football. Case Keenum, Mark Ingram, and even Ryan Broyles(if i can be a homer) have been far more exciting, productive, and consistent. It's ridiculous. All Gator trolls come hither. Can you take off your orange tinted glasses and agree with facts? If not please, entertain us with your reasoning.

SoonerSinger3
11/5/2009, 11:38 PM
My personal feelings aside, the fact that Tim Tebow is even in Heisman conversation is an embarrassment to the trophy and proves that its more about a media love fest than being the most exciting player in college football. Case Keenum, Mark Ingram, and even Ryan Broyles(if i can be a homer) have been far more exciting, productive, and consistent. It's ridiculous. All Gator trolls come hither. Can you take off your orange tinted glasses and agree with facts? If not please, entertain us with your reasoning.

beautifully and accurately stated sir.

Leroy Lizard
11/6/2009, 12:12 AM
This is the weakest Heisman year I can recall.

NorCaligator
11/6/2009, 12:27 AM

I agree that Tebow hasn't been productive or consistent this year, and certainly isn't the most exciting player in college football (I'd throw Masoli's hat in that ring). But I think UF wouldn't be undefeated without him. That, and his accomplishments during his college career, is why he'll be considered for the Heisman.

Personally, I'd rather UF wins another championship.

Leroy Lizard
11/6/2009, 01:56 AM
But I think UF wouldn't be undefeated without him.

That can be said for almost any QB of a team that is undefeated. Would UT have defeated OU without Colt? Iowa would probably have three losses by now.

That said, I respect Tebow. But he isn't having a Heisman season.

SGT Park3R
11/6/2009, 02:12 AM
If Texa$$ does win out he will definitely be up there. As soon as I heard Colt wasn't going to the NFL I just knew he would win it. Texa$$ cried more then my newborn last year about everything. So since Sammy won it last year, Tebow the year before, then out of pity they have to give it McCoy.

stoopified
11/6/2009, 02:53 PM
I will sat this: I WOULD RATER ANYONE ELSE WIN OVER CLAUSEN.

jumperstop
11/6/2009, 03:23 PM
No Colt, No Tebow for Heisman. Any other person would be fine...

SoonerSinger3
11/6/2009, 05:42 PM
I'm tellin you guys, Mark Ingram should be the leader right now. He runs with great vision and breaks so many tackles. I believe he has 1,004 yds already and half of those yards are after contact. Without his input in a few games this year, Bama may have lost.

With that being said, I think we should start making an early campaign for Broyles as Heisman candidate for 2010. With the offensive line gaining more experience, and Landry as full time starter, he could have a monster year. He is already making Heisman worthy plays this year. That 3rd and 24 reception where he ran backwards and then cut it up the sidelines was one of the most amazing plays I have seen in a long time. Broyles amazes me every game, he is so deceptive. Just when you think he is going to be caught or tackled he makes one fluid move and he's gone. Heck I think we should even move him to kernerback he's so dang good!!!! ;)