PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Schedule

Collier11
11/5/2009, 01:08 AM
Anyone else wondering why Joe C. felt the need to play Air Force, Florida St, and Cincinatti in one year? I feel like that is a little heavy, can you imagine if Landry hadnt gotten to play this year?

I love having the big games against name schools but I certainly dont understand playing 3 bowl teams in your non conference. Obviously if we win them all or come out injury free it works out great, alot bad can happen though. I think 2 max is enough and I have no idea why we have to give cincy a return trip but whatever

PDXsooner
11/5/2009, 01:29 AM
OU has a long tradition of playing tough non-conference opponents. regardless of the fact that it is beneficial to play cupcakes in your ooc schedule, and regardless of the fact that teams like texas will sell out and play NO ONE in the chase for the elusive crystal ball, joe c. has decided to strap his balls on and continue a legacy. i applaud him.

gaylordfan1
11/5/2009, 01:31 AM
Well, I'm sure Stoops had his hand in that as well. Will be tough!

sooner94
11/5/2009, 01:31 AM
Yeah, that is a tough schedule. I think Joe C is trying to get one really tough non-conference opponent each year for the next 10 years.

I think Cinci has turned out to be better than they were when this game was originally scheduled.

Hard to predict how good certain programs will be 4-5-6 years in the future.

The BYU game (scheduled same year) was foolish with the Miami game on the schedule.

Crucifax Autumn
11/5/2009, 01:38 AM
I think it's just a matter of being the SOONERS and having bigger balls than everyone else.

sooner59
11/5/2009, 02:03 AM
I think it's just a matter of being the SOONERS and having bigger balls than everyone else.

Your ideas are intriguing and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. :D

I say Air Force has no chance at a win, FSU sucks (and also has no shot at a win on Owen Field), and Cincy loses too much to beat us even in Cincy with what we have coming back. It will be a difficult test in our non-conference, but we will win them all and ultimately work for us in the long run by providing experience against quality opponents.

Crucifax Autumn
11/5/2009, 02:21 AM
Well, yeah!

Sooner in Tampa
11/5/2009, 06:45 AM
Your ideas are intriguing and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. :D

I say Air Force has no chance at a win, FSU sucks (and also has no shot at a win on Owen Field), and Cincy loses too much to beat us even in Cincy with what we have coming back. It will be a difficult test in our non-conference, but we will win them all and ultimately work for us in the long run by providing experience against quality opponents.
Yeah...Air Force is out of their league. FSU will be breaking in a new QB...and their Defense is atrocious. Cincy is the wild card...they are pretty damn good and the QB they have returning isn't your average youngster, he has quite a few games under his belt...and the son of bitch can run pretty damn well.

adoniijahsooner
11/5/2009, 07:41 AM
Yeah...Air Force is out of their league. FSU will be breaking in a new QB...and their Defense is atrocious. Cincy is the wild card...they are pretty damn good and the QB they have returning isn't your average youngster, he has quite a few games under his belt...and the son of bitch can run pretty damn well.

Ponder is only a Jr., and on top of that FSU is a very young team and return many of their playmakers. This was a big risk to take, but I think this year will help when it comes to tough games.

Blitzkrieg
11/5/2009, 07:49 AM
Ponder is awesome but with new coaching on the way he might jump ship. Is cinci home or away?

CincySooner
11/5/2009, 08:45 AM
The Cincinnati game is at Paul Brown stadium where the Bengals play.

You're gonna love it. Not a bad seat in the house.

soonervegas
11/5/2009, 09:25 AM
It sounds like 3-0 to me...

Unless we lose Landry and Broyles before the end of the 1st half of the Utah State game. Then all bets are off....

Sooner in Tampa
11/5/2009, 09:29 AM
Ponder is only a Jr., and on top of that FSU is a very young team and return many of their playmakers.
All the talk around here is that Ponder is gone...he would be a top 10 pick...and with all the changes that are going to be happening at FSU next yr...the tea leaves say he is gone.

Even if he comes back...FSU doesn't scare me...especially early in the yr...they are famous for their slow starts.

Collier11
11/5/2009, 09:41 AM
Im all for tough scheduling, I just think 3 bowl teams is pushing it when most teams barely schedule 1

Mississippi Sooner
11/5/2009, 10:40 AM
Regardless of how that three game stretch looks now, there is no way it'll ever look like that three game gauntlet the Sooners had to run in 2000. Remember the murderer's row of Texas, K State and Nebraska? Going into that stretch, I said if we just came out with 2 out of 3, I'd be satisfied.

But I digress.....

Damn, we are coming up on the ten year anniversary of our last MNC.

TheUnnamedSooner
11/5/2009, 11:09 AM
I'm glad we have the tough games. It will help us at the end of the season with the computers.

Boomer.....
11/5/2009, 11:17 AM
That's only if you win.

We would have greatly benefited from not playing such tough opponents this season but you can't predict injuries.

TheUnnamedSooner
11/5/2009, 11:24 AM
If you can't win those games, you don't deserve to be in a BCS game.

sooneron
11/5/2009, 11:38 AM
Im all for tough scheduling, I just think 3 bowl teams is pushing it when most teams barely schedule 1

Not really. I totally disagree. Calling AFA a bowl team is about all that you can call them. They won't be much of a challenge. FSU on the road may give us some fits, but we'll be ready having played Cincy.

And to the post about not knowing how good Cincy was going to be, that game was scheduled in 07. Hardly 4-5 years ago when they were happy to be above .500 . I'm also willing to bet that Bob wanted a game back in the home state when we scheduled them. Plus, there's a ridiculous talent pool in Ohio. Might as well let them see what an explosive offense looks like. :D

Collier11
11/5/2009, 11:50 AM
Do you not see how much trouble these option teams give Defenses, Air Force and Navy and the rest are always dangerous and I think this yr shows nothing is for certain anymore

Tear Down This Wall
11/5/2009, 12:03 PM
I like the 2010 schedule...which means Joe C. will try to beg out of one of the games, and I'll be paying $69+ a ticket for four seasons tickets to watch some half-assed FCS team get pounded.

Let the Kansas States of the world schedule FCS schools. Give us the best competition you can find every week for out of conference. It should be that way for big time programs.

I find it ridiculous that three SEC schools are stopping down to play FCS schools this week:

-Georgia hosts Tennessee Tech
-Kentucky grapples with Eastern Kentucky (multiple personalities game)
-Auburn rolls out the red carpet for Furman

What a bunch of crap. What does it prove? Nothing. It proves nothing. And, for those of us who have season tickets, it's a lot of money and time out to watch any overly predictable football game.

Yes, I hauled my cookies from Dallas to Norman to watch us beat the everliving daylights out of Idaho State, but damn...wasn't there someone else who would take our money? Even a low-level FBS school like North Texas or New Mexico or something? Some school whose downtrodden football team might provide some entertainment for a quarter or two?

Salt City Sooner
11/5/2009, 12:14 PM
Not really. I totally disagree. Calling AFA a bowl team is about all that you can call them. They won't be much of a challenge. FSU on the road may give us some fits, but we'll be ready having played Cincy.

And to the post about not knowing how good Cincy was going to be, that game was scheduled in 07. Hardly 4-5 years ago when they were happy to be above .500 . I'm also willing to bet that Bob wanted a game back in the home state when we scheduled them. Plus, there's a ridiculous talent pool in Ohio. Might as well let them see what an explosive offense looks like. :D
You've got 'em flipped. FSU's game #2 & it's in Norman. Cincy's game #4 @ PBS.

Joe C. will try to beg out of one of the games
I have yet to hear of him doing this.

cvsooner
11/5/2009, 12:42 PM
Don't kid yoursel: 2010 is a tough out of conference schedule...

This was supposed to be a rebuilding year for Cincinnati, which lost 10 starters on defense. Instead, they’re No. 8 in the AP Poll, their backup qb is running the show and he'll be back next year, they're unbeaten and have a chance to play for the National Championship, at least at this point. Brian Kelly is one heckuva coach and it's at their house. I wouldn't be surprised to lose there.

Air Force, considering the limitations of the service academies in recruiting, is also a very dangerous team. They lost to TCU by only three, held Wyoming (which gave Texas fits) scoreless, lost to Navy by three in overtime, and lost to Utah by seven in overtime. They're 5-4, and the four losses are by a total of 20 points (sound familiar?). I suspect they'll give us fits...but fortunately it's in Norman.

FSU could be tough, if Ponder comes back. I don't think he will, and the program's in a lot of turmoil. But they've got very good athletes as a whole. Likewise it's in Norman.

You take chances playing the better schools, but you also improve your program by doing so. The risk-reward ratio is about right for me.

MI Sooner
11/5/2009, 12:55 PM
Ideal non-conference, assuming you're a top-15 team.

1) Home game against team with near-zero chance of beating you. North Texas, or maybe 1AA. Work the kinks out, get some revenue from the home game, and laying an egg in game one won't ruin your season.

2-4) Two games against Air Force level competition. Good small conference teams or mediocre BCS teams. Decent teams that could beat you in a down year for you or an up year for them. Teams that won't hurt you SOS, but will give the fans a decent matchup. If you play BCS schools, you'll probably have to do home and home, so probaby one BCS and one small conf. school that will come to you. One game against a nationally prominent program, which will have to be home and home.

rainiersooner
11/5/2009, 01:02 PM

Well, just because you don't deserve to be in a BCS game doesn't mean you won't...Texas is proving that this year should they win out.

TXBOOMER
11/5/2009, 01:57 PM
Do you not see how much trouble these option teams give Defenses, Air Force and Navy and the rest are always dangerous and I think this yr shows nothing is for certain anymore

If we can't beat AF we need to cancel the season option or not. Cincy was very average when we scheduled that game. It was after we beat them at home that they becam e dangerous. I don't like FSU but the other two get a pass.

jumperstop
11/5/2009, 02:06 PM
I liked the idea of playing tough teams last year when it bummed us over Texas, but this year maybe we should have taken the Texas cake walk schedule so we could have played in a BCS game. Then again we probably don't deserve a BCS bid.

SunnySooner
11/5/2009, 02:07 PM
Anybody know the date of the FSU game? My hubby will be coming home from the sandbox about then, I'd love to go to the game with him, but if it's too early in Sept., he prolly won't make it. Doesn't mean I won't go, but it'd be great if he could be there too. We're going with our FSU crazed next door neighbors as a road trip, then the plan is to meet them in Tally the next year.

SunnySooner
11/5/2009, 02:12 PM
Nevermind, finally found it--September 11, 2010. Looks like he won't make it, drat.

cjames317
11/5/2009, 02:33 PM
Be thankful the horny frogs aren't on the schedule next year. That team looks to be a monster.

rawlingsHOH
11/5/2009, 02:45 PM
If we can't beat AF we need to cancel the season option or not. Cincy was very average when we scheduled that game. It was after we beat them at home that they becam e dangerous. I don't like FSU but the other two get a pass.

No. Cincy was 10-3 in 2007, right after the series was scheduled.

They were 11-3 in 2008, and undefeated thus far in 2009.

MamaMia
11/5/2009, 02:55 PM
The last time Air Force was on the schedule to play us in Norman, they backed out right before the season started, leaving us in a bind to try to come up with an opponent who's schedule wasn't already full.

sooneron
11/5/2009, 03:09 PM

Once again, we scheduled Cincy in 07, they finished top 20 that year.
and I agree about AF.

sooneron
11/5/2009, 03:10 PM
WTF???
how the heck did that double post?

JLEW1818
11/5/2009, 03:49 PM
Cincy loses Pike and Gilyard

but that backup qb can run

good thing about Air Force is we get them at home, FSU too

FSU will have Ponder, a good qb

looks like 4-0 to me tho.

stoopified
11/5/2009, 04:19 PM
I won't be able to decide how I feel about the 2010 schedule until after we found out how many early draft ehtries we have.Think about it for a minute: McCoy,Taylor,Beal,Lewis,Franks are eligible and that is just on defense.Broyles and Murray are draftable on offense.

If everyone leaves,I don't like the 2010 slate.If EVERYONE comes back ,I ove the lineup and Our shot at #8.The problem is we are almost certain to have some early draftees.For that reason I am witholding judgement until after NFL declarations are made.

JLEW1818
11/5/2009, 04:21 PM
I think G. McCoy will be the only one that leaves

("obviously" Sam will too)

oudivesherpa
11/5/2009, 04:28 PM
Win a over a cup cake team is better than a loss versus a Top 25 foe.

However, last year Texas cup cake schedule was the main reason, as a one loss team, they didn't make it to the conference championship or the NC.

Collier11
11/5/2009, 04:38 PM
And my main point is, as long as ut and everyone else is going ot sched 3 or 4 cupcakes, why are we only scheduling 1. We could do 2 good games and 2 cupcakes and still be fine

JLEW1818
11/5/2009, 04:40 PM
i want a cupcake

Boomer.....
11/5/2009, 04:47 PM
WTF???
how the heck did that double post?

You pressed Submit Reply twice.

YWIA.

Boomer.....
11/5/2009, 04:48 PM
Nevermind, finally found it--September 11, 2010. Looks like he won't make it, drat.

I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to accompany you to the game. :cool:

Collier11
11/5/2009, 04:56 PM
i want a buttcake

:eek:

Boomer.....
11/5/2009, 05:11 PM
i want a buttcake

Figures

fossil
11/6/2009, 11:46 AM
:P Sooners ain't skeered!!!

OUmd
11/6/2009, 12:05 PM

End thread.

I, personally, do not want to go back to a BCS game (and certainly a NC) until we are ready to steam-roll anyone we play in that game. National Champions don't lose to those teams.

tator
11/6/2009, 12:07 PM
I say bring on whoever wants to challenge. We're Sooners, dumbasses!!