PDA

View Full Version : Dammit all to hell.

GottaHavePride
11/4/2009, 02:12 PM
Got a nail in my tire. 20,000 miles on it and it's barely even worn.

Less than an inch from the sidewall, so no one will repair the tire. Has to be replaced.

Stock tires on my car are ZR-rated Yokohamas that cost over $200 per tire.

Who the hell puts stock tires on a car that cost nearly 5% of the car's original sticker price?

GottaHavePride
11/4/2009, 06:48 PM
Final cost with labor and tax? $273. For one damn tire.

Next time, I am SO making sure this happens near LWM.

:lwm:

yermom
11/4/2009, 07:06 PM
new cars don't come with spares?

Sooner_Havok
11/4/2009, 10:00 PM

Not for the last 15 years...

yermom
11/4/2009, 10:56 PM
mine did...

Soonerus
11/4/2009, 10:58 PM
**** happens...

GottaHavePride
11/5/2009, 12:27 AM

I got a low-mileage spare. That's it.

soonerboomer93
11/5/2009, 12:47 AM
someone over charged you i think

ultimatesooner1
11/5/2009, 12:48 AM
you should have went to one of the non chain tire shops in SW OKC

they fixed a tire for me a month or so ago that the big chains wouldn't

GottaHavePride
11/5/2009, 12:53 AM
someone over charged you i think

I talked to Boarder and he said that specific type of tire is just really stupidly expensive. I mean, if I was close to needing to replace the other three I'd just get a whole set of something else, but the car only has 20,000 miles on it.

yermom
11/5/2009, 01:22 AM
I got a low-mileage spare. That's it.

how far were you from Boarder's?? :)

and yeah, my OEM tires were $175ish each. crazy $$$

soonerboomer93
11/5/2009, 01:27 AM
must be one of the low profile sizes the kids like to run on their rice burners :D

Oldnslo
11/5/2009, 03:18 PM
There are soooooo many alternatives.

On the other hand, if you've got 20K miles on a Z rated tire, and it's not close to wearing out, that's a pretty good tire. I rarely get more than 15,000 out of a set. Sticky tires that give you great traction often don't last so long. A treadwear rating of over 180 is unusual.

badger
11/5/2009, 03:36 PM
Sorry about the tire. I had a similar situation with all of the ongoing construction in Tulsa. The side of the road near I-44 and Riverside was slightly damaged because it was in the process of being rebuilt and replaced. Because the two sides of road merged, I overcompensated when a car going on the other side of the road was left of center a few inches and my front right tire hit the damaged concrete.

I made it to work as my tire slowly lost pressure - I was unsure if my tire sprung a leak at the time because I didn't hear the noise a flat tire makes (you know the one I'm talking about) when you continue to drive on it. Alas, I made it to work's parking lot, then saw the full-fledged flat.

Because the damage was on the side of the tire and not the tread, it was a dead tire. Oklahoma also has mandatory tire recycling fees everytime you get a new tire tacked onto a tire's price.

It was unfortunate, but live and learn.

Bourbon St Sooner
11/5/2009, 03:56 PM
Road hazard is your friend. Especially if you live in New Orleans where most of the streets are like Kabul.

hellogoodbye
11/5/2009, 04:00 PM
I didn't hear the noise a flat tire makes (you know the one I'm talking about)

Flabadaflabadaphlabeda?

Sticky tires that give you great traction often don't last so long

What are good recomendations for a 17 inch tire for my Maxima? Got the sticker shock last time I replaced them. Wound up getting the Cooper - was dissapointed with the milage on them. Are there higher milage rating brands that anyone prefers?

OklaPony
11/5/2009, 05:45 PM
Went through this on my Stang a few years ago. Z-rated tires that are any good aren't cheap.

yermom
11/5/2009, 06:29 PM
Flabadaflabadaphlabeda?

What are good recomendations for a 17 inch tire for my Maxima? Got the sticker shock last time I replaced them. Wound up getting the Cooper - was dissapointed with the milage on them. Are there higher milage rating brands that anyone prefers?

i like my Riken Raptors... they are 225/45-17's and were way cheaper than the OEM tires

badger
11/5/2009, 07:00 PM
Flabadaflabadaphlabeda?

That would be the sound!

GottaHavePride
11/6/2009, 12:11 AM
how far were you from Boarder's?? :)

and yeah, my OEM tires were $175ish each. crazy $$$

Heh. About 200 miles. ;)

And my only complaint is that looking on TireRack I could get a full set of tires with equivalent speed rating and better tread life for less than the price of TWO of these tires.

Seriously, when it's time to replace all four of these, I'm heading to Boarder. And yeah, the other three tires look like they've got at least another 20K in them.

My car's not a rice rocket. It's a Scion, but it's entirely stock. If I wanted to modify it to race the first thing I'd do is shoehorn at least two extra cylinders under the hood. ;)

yermom
11/6/2009, 12:18 AM
or a hairdryer...

proud gonzo
11/6/2009, 04:01 AM
Heh. About 200 miles. ;)

And my only complaint is that looking on TireRack I could get a full set of tires with equivalent speed rating and better tread life for less than the price of TWO of these tires.

Seriously, when it's time to replace all four of these, I'm heading to Boarder. And yeah, the other three tires look like they've got at least another 20K in them.

My car's not a rice rocket. It's a Scion, but it's entirely stock. If I wanted to modify it to race the first thing I'd do is GET A JOB.
fixed ;)

GottaHavePride
11/10/2010, 09:40 PM
Heh. About 200 miles. ;)

My car's not a rice rocket. It's a Scion, but it's entirely stock. If I wanted to modify it to race the first thing I'd do is shoehorn at least two extra cylinders under the hood. ;)

I win. Just had my oil changed, sitting at 35,000 miles, and the guy said "hey, your tires are OK for now, but you'll want a new set this spring."

Penguin
11/10/2010, 10:22 PM
Or, we could all buy normal cars that require normal tires and still have some money left in our bank account.

yermom
11/10/2010, 10:52 PM
normal cars FTL!

SOONER44EVER
11/10/2010, 11:04 PM
you should have went to one of the non chain tire shops in SW OKC

they fixed a tire for me a month or so ago that the big chains wouldn't

Yep. I got tires for my truck on the south side. Price at Hibdon's ......over $900. Same brand and size tires in S. OKC..................$600.

delhalew
11/11/2010, 07:12 AM
First, I tend to get a better price at discount tire direct than Tirerack.
Also, If buying American is not a thing for you, Hancook(so) is a well made Korean tire.

bonkuba
11/11/2010, 07:54 AM
Got a nail in my tire. 20,000 miles on it and it's barely even worn.

Less than an inch from the sidewall, so no one will repair the tire. Has to be replaced.

Stock tires on my car are ZR-rated Yokohamas that cost over $200 per tire.

Who the hell puts stock tires on a car that cost nearly 5% of the car's original sticker price?

I own a couple tire stores.....remember? Less than an inch....we'll ix it for ya.

bonkuba
11/11/2010, 07:56 AM
I do very well with tire rack and the like. Customer service from us and folks never order from someone they will never see again. They enjoy service.....not web.

bonkuba
11/11/2010, 07:58 AM
I own a couple tire stores.....remember? Less than an inch....we'll ix it for ya.

Also, if you have already bought another tire bring the one in question to the game....we are at Sooner Village. I come to okc quite a bit and can bring it back to ya.

Boomer.....
11/11/2010, 08:23 AM
First, I tend to get a better price at discount tire direct than Tirerack.
Also, If buying American is not a thing for you, Hancook(so) is a well made Korean tire.

I agree with Discount Tire. They were great to deal with and if you buy the hazard plan, they will replace any tire no matter how it was damaged.

GottaHavePride
11/12/2010, 11:47 PM
Also, if you have already bought another tire bring the one in question to the game....we are at Sooner Village. I come to okc quite a bit and can bring it back to ya.

Heh - I would, but I replaced that tire a year ago. :) I was just commenting on my entirely accurate prediction that the original three had another 20,000 miles in 'em.

waynepayne
11/14/2010, 08:29 PM
When you got that nail were you in McAlester by chance?

:pop:

VeeJay
11/14/2010, 08:47 PM
Most grocery stores have "Dollar" sections where ya can save a few bucks.

StoopTroup
11/14/2010, 09:28 PM

I was in the tire business for a few years and fixed quite a few tires. The one thing I think people who get tires fixed should understand is that the tire they just had fixed might hold and never give them a problem but IMO it isn't nearly as safe as it was and you need to pay attention to it more as it gets older. If your one of those folks who never checks the tire pressure on your car....I wouldn't fix it. If your one of those folks that drive 75 mph on the expressway with a donut spare on the front....you shouldn't get it fixed IMO.

Some of the sidewall repairs I saw wouldn't hold a plug and hot patches from the inside would sometimes lead to the tire getting a separation in the plys.

Any thoughts? I just think folks who think it's smart to run a tire that been repaired at high speed might want to think that through a bit.

PhiDeltBeers
11/14/2010, 09:42 PM
My new car is $468 per tire!

StoopTroup
11/14/2010, 09:45 PM
My new car is $468 per tire!

If you can afford a $70,000 Sports Car...you should probably have some good rubber on it.

OUthunder
11/14/2010, 11:47 PM
I could see paying that for an off road tire with an aggressive tread, but it sounds like you drive a sedan of some sort. If I'm paying $273 per tire, the name Michelin had better be on it somewhere. I put new Michelin's on the wife's suv, and they were about what you paid but they were for a 20 inch wheel too.

GottaHavePride
11/14/2010, 11:52 PM
Mine's a Scion tC. Not the highest horsepower, but great torque for its size. And the stock tires are Yokohama S32A (or something like that). 215/45ZR17

Yeah, next time around I plan on paying about HALF that price for my tires.