PDA

View Full Version : Jersey/Virginia learns...

XingTheRubicon
11/4/2009, 08:35 AM
it's hard to pay bills with catch phrases and hair glitter.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20091104/pl_politico/29116

“Any Democrat from a border or Southern or even a rural district has got to take a deep breath and look for some ways to get some distance from from Obama,” Davis said.

batonrougesooner
11/4/2009, 08:46 AM
GOP slogan for 2010...

"Yes We Can!"

XingTheRubicon
11/4/2009, 08:51 AM
"It started as a whisper in New Jersey."

Half a Hundred
11/4/2009, 08:59 AM
Christie didn't win in NJ because people don't like Obama. He won because people think their property taxes are too high (like always), and Corzine's an ex-Goldman Sachs CEO. I know less about VA, but from the look of it, Deeds ran one of the most inept campaigns in recent history.

batonrougesooner
11/4/2009, 09:11 AM
So inept that a visit from Dear Leader over the weekend actually caused him to fall in the polls.

soonerscuba
11/4/2009, 09:35 AM
Heh, does anyone know the elctoral history of VA and NJ in off year elections? I wouldn't look too far into this.

badger
11/4/2009, 09:43 AM
One of those states had a strong Democrat governor who was term limited, so don't get too excited. The Dems had some good victories in Congress, though, overtaking a New York seat that is traditionally Republican and winning one in California (that probably was Dem to begin with, but still).

Still another year until the midterm midtacular. A lot can happen in that time.

soonerscuba
11/4/2009, 09:50 AM
I want the Republicans to win back the House in '10 because I like divided government, but Christie has been a dead man walking for a long time and VA always switches sides. While certainly not good news fodder for Obama, it didn't exactly fortell doom the last 40 years. If you are looking for some class of tea bag revolution, it comes in '10 or it doesn't come and it will be tied exclusively to job creation.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/4/2009, 10:09 AM
Christie didn't win in NJ because people don't like Obama. He won because people think their property taxes are too high (like always), and Corzine's an ex-Goldman Sachs CEO. I know less about VA, but from the look of it, Deeds ran one of the most inept campaigns in recent history.

I think anti-Obammy was a bit of it, but I think it was mostly against Corzine's assinine fat boy commercials and his constant mentioning of Christie's weight. A thing Christie apparently has struggled with all his life and something he has been forthcoming about. Corzine's campaign and Corzine are/was/is an a$$.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/4/2009, 10:11 AM
One of those states had a strong Democrat governor who was term limited, so don't get too excited. The Dems had some good victories in Congress, though, overtaking a New York seat that is traditionally Republican and winning one in California (that probably was Dem to begin with, but still).

Still another year until the midterm midtacular. A lot can happen in that time.

I discount the Dem win in NY. There you had one messed up district. A DEM, a REP and a Conservative Party running against each other. The REP was hand pick by the party elite, not the REP voters. She is left of center, was for many things people locally were against. No one was giving her money so the weekend before the election she quits, cries and endorses the DEM. The Conservative party person was truly grassroots and almost won. She still got 6% of the vote (because she quit so late they couldn't take her name off the ballot) and took votes from the Conservative person or he would have won.

Why in hell vote for someone who has withdrawn from the election. You are either dead and voted, clueless straight party voter, or wanted to screw the other guy.

sooneron
11/4/2009, 10:50 AM
Living in NJ, most people were pretty wary of Corzine from the jump. He seemed like a better choice than Forrester (who campaigned dirtier than Corzine in 05).
I was never much of a fan of Corzine. The problem is, Christie, as well as being corrupt and unethical, has no real ideas. It was the same way Corzine ran in 05, "I'll lower your property taxes.!"
Christie unveiled nothing about what his actual plans were. The fact is, property taxes will not be lowered. Once the government has revenue flow coming in, they never want to reduce it. Yeah, there may be a little deduction or check in the mail (which will amount to about 2% prolly), but the rate will NOT decrease.
With Christie's ethics, I am afraid of what types of people that he is beholden to, once he is in Trenton.
The one thing about Jon was that he didn't nearly as many people's $ for his campaign finances.
If I were GOP, I wouldn't get too pumped about NJ voting for a republican, it has been evenly split since 1947.

Howzit
11/4/2009, 10:54 AM
... it comes in '10 or it doesn't come and it will be tied exclusively to job creation.

Real new jobs or how they are currently "counting" them?

JohnnyMack
11/4/2009, 10:54 AM
If you are looking for some class of tea bag revolution, it comes in '10 or it doesn't come and it will be tied exclusively to job creation.

This.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/4/2009, 10:59 AM
Living in NJ, most people were pretty wary of Corzine from the jump. He seemed like a better choice than Forrester (who campaigned dirtier than Corzine in 05).
I was never much of a fan of Corzine. The problem is, Christie, as well as being corrupt and unethical, has no real ideas. It was the same way Corzine ran in 05, "I'll lower your property taxes.!"
Christie unveiled nothing about what his actual plans were. The fact is, property taxes will not be lowered. Once the government has revenue flow coming in, they never want to reduce it. Yeah, there may be a little deduction or check in the mail (which will amount to about 2% prolly), but the rate will NOT decrease.
With Christie's ethics, I am afraid of what types of people that he is beholden to, once he is in Trenton.
The one thing about Jon was that he didn't nearly as many people's $ for his campaign finances.
If I were GOP, I wouldn't get too pumped about NJ voting for a republican, it has been evenly split since 1947.

From an out-of-stater, the fat jokes by Corzine seemed over the top. Would you agree or not so? I thought that was mean spirited from what I saw.

JohnnyMack
11/4/2009, 11:04 AM

Yeah but Corzine's money came from GS, so...**** that guy.

SoonerLaw09
11/4/2009, 11:17 AM
This.

Since when is teabagging revolutionary?

soonerscuba
11/4/2009, 11:17 AM
Real new jobs or how they are currently "counting" them?Elections are all about spin, so whichever way is higher if you're a Dem or lower if you're a Republican. However, Republicans will have to walk the same tight line Dems did in '06, you can't actively root for a bad economy, but it actually helps your chances at the polls.

MrJimBeam
11/4/2009, 11:25 AM
She still got 6% of the vote (because she quit so late they couldn't take her name off the ballot) and took votes from the Conservative person or he would have won.

Why in hell vote for someone who has withdrawn from the election. You are either dead and voted, clueless straight party voter, or wanted to screw the other guy.

Probably absentee ballots.

Fraggle145
11/4/2009, 11:33 AM
I am starting to think it is a little more this...
What’s more, there is an argument that these off-year elections may not have produced an ideological or partisan verdict so much as revealed a deeply aggrieved electorate — ready to rough up incumbents of all varieties.

yermom
11/4/2009, 11:35 AM
sounds good to me...

how about some turnover?

Half a Hundred
11/4/2009, 11:42 AM
I think anti-Obammy was a bit of it, but I think it was mostly against Corzine's assinine fat boy commercials and his constant mentioning of Christie's weight. A thing Christie apparently has struggled with all his life and something he has been forthcoming about. Corzine's campaign and Corzine are/was/is an a$$.

The indication is more that the fat comments hurt Christie more than Corzine. It went well with the storyline of Christie not being able to restrain himself when given the public dime (such as the heavy spending on trips and whatnot). It's politics, too - overweight people are considered less trustworthy in the public sphere.

It's more like there is no way to reasonably reduce spending in NJ without a major revolt that will sink the GOP's chances in the future. Prediction - NJ Transit's probably going on strike in the next four years, especially if Christie's privatization plan gathers steam. Considering how many people commute on the trains to NYC (around 1 million per day, in a state of 8.5 million), this would be disastrous. Likewise, NJ voters will go apoplectic if there's even a hint of defunding of schools.

Bergen and Hudson Counties are going to make sure that the income tax isn't messed with too much, so property taxes are going to take a hit, like usual, along with increased user fees on the turnpikes and bridges.

NormanPride
11/4/2009, 11:44 AM
Dean for Senate!

TheHumanAlphabet
11/4/2009, 01:40 PM
Probably absentee ballots.

Doh!!! ...fast counting those in the tally.