PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Switzer's teams

Leroy Lizard
11/4/2009, 02:31 AM
When Switzer coached, can you remember:

One of our punts being blocked?

An opposing player taking it to the house on a punt or kickoff?

I don't remember this happening much, but I wasn't around to see many games back then?

BTW, check this out. Dude takes a go-kart onto a freeway at night, and he's really movin'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYREdEJLWyA

11/4/2009, 03:36 AM
"What is this "punt" you speak of?"
–The King

BTW, check this out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu_moia-oVI

Sooner24
11/4/2009, 08:53 AM

I don't remember this happening much, but I wasn't around to see many games back then?

BTW, check this out. Dude takes a go-kart onto a freeway at night, and he's really movin'.

Barry Switzer never had punt blocked or a punt or kickoff returned for a touchdown against him.

goingoneight
11/4/2009, 09:23 AM
well... not unless you count Johnny Rogers.

Blitzkrieg
11/4/2009, 09:48 AM
Schollie limits.

Our 32nd player was better than most teams 11th best player.

OKLA21FAN
11/4/2009, 09:49 AM
Barry's teams nevar fumbled either :gary:

1890MilesToNorman
11/4/2009, 09:51 AM
Barry's teams nevar fumbled either :gary:

:D They did have a lot of dropped backwards passes though. ;)

boomermagic
11/4/2009, 09:55 AM

Fairbanks was our head coach then.. I know for sure that even THE GREAT Barry Switzer had a few of both.. Barry was the best though IMO...

Jello Biafra
11/4/2009, 09:57 AM

was it my imagination or did leroy say he was never posting here again?

maybe my mind is gone but i seriously remember my mind doing a backflip from a cartwheeel into jazz hands when i read that statement/

Jello Biafra
11/4/2009, 09:59 AM
Schollie limits.

all jokes aside though.,.. blitz is right....our special teams players were better in most cases than some of the opposing teams starters.

badger
11/4/2009, 10:06 AM
During the Buffalo game last night, they showed Turner Gill when he was Neb's QB throwing a bounce pass ( a backwards pass that hit the ground, but then bounced up and hit the intended receiver), with the receiver throwing it downfield against us. That was probably against one of Switzer's teams. Fun times :D

boomermagic
11/4/2009, 10:09 AM
Schollie limits.

Thats true but Barry won a NC after the limits took place..

Jello Biafra
11/4/2009, 10:13 AM
Thats true but Barry won a NC after the limits took place..

and???

it takes a while for things to right themselves...the boise states of the world just started making their mark on college football in the last 10 years...trust me, we were still getting the talent by walkons alone. not only were our special teams guys better but in some cases, our walkons were better than some starters too...ask nebraska how their walk on program worked out for them in the late 80s-early 2000s

boomermagic
11/4/2009, 10:25 AM
and???

it takes a while for things to right themselves...the boise states of the world just started making their mark on college football in the last 10 years...trust me, we were still getting the talent by walkons alone. not only were our special teams guys better but in some cases, our walkons were better than some starters too...ask nebraska how their walk on program worked out for them in the late 80s-early 2000s

I'll give you an and ? OU never did have an abundance of great walkon players.. There were some but nothing like nebraska had.. Barry was THE BEST... OU has not had a guy who could recruit anything close to as well as what coach Switzer did since he left... Barry's players literally loved him and would have moved mountains for him and thats one BIG reason he won like he did.. There will NEVER be another Barry Switzer.. Long live the king...

OKLA21FAN
11/4/2009, 10:31 AM
I'll give you an and ? OU never did have an abundance of great walkon players.. There were some but nothing like nebraska had.. Barry was THE BEST... OU has not had a guy who could recruit anything close to as well as what coach Switzer did since he left... Barry's players literally loved him and would have moved mountains for him and thats one BIG reason he won like he did.. There will NEVER be another Barry Switzer.. Long live the king...

Marcus doesn't agree :pop:

boomermagic
11/4/2009, 10:39 AM

I see.. So you don't think Barry was The best recruiter and his players loved him ? Ok, But You are WRONG.. Marcus was the one with the problem obviously.. Hey, Some fans didn't like Barry because he would tell you what he thought and If you liked it fine and if you didn't that was fine too.. but, HE WAS THE BEST BAR NONE!! Barry rubbed some people the wrong way but he put a product on the field and consistantly won.. There was no better coach and still isn't IMO.. I'll agree to disagree with you but I am right lol...

OKLA21FAN
11/4/2009, 10:56 AM
I see.. So you don't think Barry was The best recruiter and his players loved him ? Ok, But You are WRONG.. Marcus was the one with the problem obviously.. Hey, Some fans didn't like Barry because he would tell you what he thought and If you liked it fine and if you didn't that was fine too.. but, HE WAS THE BEST BAR NONE!! Barry rubbed some people the wrong way but he put a product on the field and consistantly won.. There was no better coach and still isn't IMO.. I'll agree to disagree with you but I am right lol...
You might be experiencing some good ole days syndrome a bit.

Had Barry been coaching in the age of the internet and instant news, you probably would feel little different about his 'success/failures' as some do Stoops today.

Barry lost plenty of games where his team had 10 times the talent of the opponent, he also lost plenty of 'big games', but he also won plenty of them as well. Just as Stoops has (or Bud for that matter)

Jello Biafra
11/4/2009, 11:18 AM

Had Barry been coaching in the age of the internet and instant news, you probably would feel little different about his 'success/failures' as some do Stoops today.

Barry lost plenty of games where his team had 10 times the talent of the opponent, he also lost plenty of 'big games', but he also won plenty of them as well. Just as Stoops has (or Bud for that matter)

could you imagine the meltdown if we had the intenet the day we lost to kansas when we were a kajillion point favorite? when was that? 75?

OKLA21FAN
11/4/2009, 11:31 AM
could you imagine the meltdown if we had the intenet the day we lost to kansas when we were a kajillion point favorite? when was that? 75?
SF.com would be in lock down mode thats for sure :pop:

sooneron
11/4/2009, 11:51 AM
Let's not even touch the 85 OB.

Leroy Lizard
11/4/2009, 12:08 PM
OU was working on a 37-game unbeaten streak. Losing a game may have had some fans in hysterics, but not many of them would have called for Switzer's head. The 1976 season may have caused the coach more heat.

BTW, my questions were purely out of curiosity. I'm not making any comparisons to Stoops. And I am sure Switzer had some punts or kickoffs run back on him, but I just cannot remember any. So far, no one else seems to remember any either.

TUSooner
11/4/2009, 12:45 PM

That was against Chuck Fairbanks...
[edit] as you know from a previous post in this thread. :O

11/4/2009, 12:54 PM
During the Buffalo game last night, they showed Turner Gill when he was Neb's QB throwing a bounce pass ( a backwards pass that hit the ground, but then bounced up and hit the intended receiver), with the receiver throwing it downfield against us. That was probably against one of Switzer's teams. Fun times :D

I've actually met Turner Gill and asked him about the rivalry. He was very gracious in his answer and was a very cool guy to meet. It was obvious he loves the fans and the game.

My experience was much the same meeting Major Applewhite.

I have no point, other than to say football is a very universal passion.

And BOOMER FREAKIN' SOONER!!!

/namedropping

MyT Oklahoma
11/4/2009, 02:15 PM
Does anyone admit to remembering the 1975 KU game (3 to 23)? I think one of our 8 or so turnovers involved a blocked punt.

Irregardless though my memories of Barry's OU teams are way more positive than not. I for one am glad he was our Coach once upon a time.

Leroy Lizard
11/4/2009, 02:22 PM
Yes, that indeed happened.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1090488/index.htm

Sooner24
11/4/2009, 02:29 PM
Fairbanks was our head coach then.. I know for sure that even THE GREAT Barry Switzer had a few of both.. Barry was the best though IMO...

Barry never was on the field so I'm sure he never had any of those things happen to him.

soonerinkaty
11/4/2009, 02:38 PM
You guys are missing the whole point of the thread.

Where can i get that damn go-kart at?

11/4/2009, 02:45 PM
I'm a friend of Mike Trepps. Mike says Barry is the best of Oklahoma coaches he's been around. He started broadcasting as a student when Bud was coaching. The guy is a living encyclopedia of Sooner knowledge. I sure wish he'd write a book...

OKLA21FAN
11/4/2009, 02:46 PM
Barry never was on the field so I'm sure he never had any of those things happen to him.

But he might be known to be smoking a cig or eating a hotdog on the sidelines when those things happened to him. :pop:

OKLA21FAN
11/4/2009, 02:47 PM
I'm a friend of Mike Trepps. Mike says Barry is the best of Oklahoma coaches he's been around. He started broadcasting as a student when Bud was coaching. The guy is a living encyclopedia of Sooner knowledge. I sure wish he'd write a book...

And mike had a hawt daughter back in the day too!

boomermagic
11/4/2009, 04:02 PM

Well, What if he had gone on to win the NC that same year ? OH WAIT, he DID !

Barry was the best.. I've seen em all folks.. It ain't even close actually..

boomermagic
11/4/2009, 04:07 PM
Yes, that indeed happened.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1090488/index.htm

That was Barry's first loss as a head coach.. Not too bad since that happened in 1975 and he took over in 73..Barry took over at the start of the 73 season and didn't lose a game until the 9th game of the 75 season. Not to mention that he went on to win the rest of the games that year and the National Championship.. HE WAS THE BEST...

boomermagic
11/4/2009, 04:12 PM

HE NEVER WAS ON THE FIELD ?? REALLY ?? Who was that out there coaching the Sooners ?

boomermagic
11/4/2009, 04:20 PM

Barry lost A FEW games where his team had the most talent but man he coached as the head man for 16 years that is going to happen to anyone and everyone..

goingoneight
11/4/2009, 04:55 PM
with all due respect to Switzer, and I mean that cuz I've met him and he is awesome... how much of his recruiting tactics would be successful today? How many guys came to OU because other programs' racist history? Times are very different today.

Soonersince57
11/4/2009, 05:07 PM
That was Barry's first loss as a head coach.. Not too bad since that happened in 1975 and he took over in 73..Barry took over at the start of the 73 season and didn't lose a game until the 9th game of the 75 season. Not to mention that he went on to win the rest of the games that year and the National Championship.. HE WAS THE BEST...

The clock was ticking that year. We beat ut by a touchdown, Miami by 3, Colorado by 1, and later, Missouri by 1. I was there sitting with the band and toward the end of the game some a**hole fan was yelling at the team (they stood on the east side of the field at the time) about how sorry they were (after over three years without a loss). Billy Brooks came after the guy and some of his teammates pulled him off the wall before he got all the way over.

goingoneight
11/4/2009, 05:12 PM
:pop:

sluggo sooner
11/4/2009, 05:35 PM

Teams actually practiced the skip pass as a trick play back when artificial turf was of the carpet variety. Backward pass to a receiver that hits the turf, freezes the defense as the initial thought is an incomplete pass, and then sling it down field.

Leroy Lizard
11/4/2009, 08:25 PM
You guys are missing the whole point of the thread.

Where can i get that damn go-kart at?

I want to start selling them to young punks so they can go out at night on the freeway. Then I want to sell the police-cruiser version for the cops to try and track them down. That would be a sight, wouldn't it?

SOONER44EVER
11/4/2009, 10:02 PM
The clock was ticking that year. We beat ut by a touchdown, Miami by 3, Colorado by 1, and later, Missouri by 1. I was there sitting with the band and toward the end of the game some a**hole fan was yelling at the team (they stood on the east side of the field at the time) about how sorry they were (after over three years without a loss). Billy Brooks came after the guy and some of his teammates pulled him off the wall before he got all the way over.

Wow! We used to win close games? Who knew?

soonerspudman
11/4/2009, 10:09 PM

Saw a high school team run that just two weeks ago - went for six.

bluedogok
11/4/2009, 10:09 PM

Marcus has come out in later years and stated he was really immature (which he was) and was at fault for those things that happened and that he (Marcus) really screwed up his time at OU.

MyT Oklahoma
11/4/2009, 10:47 PM
I can also remember a game in Manhattan in the early '80's where Kansas State started the game with an onside kick.. recovered it and then scored a touchdown. Then they lined up and did it a second time. And a third time.. 21 to 0 Kansas State.

We won the game of course but that first quarter would have been a whole lot funnier had I been drinking.

OKLA21FAN
11/5/2009, 12:20 AM
Marcus has come out in later years and stated he was really immature (which he was) and was at fault for those things that happened and that he (Marcus) really screwed up his time at OU.

Hasn't Barry said he handled this poorly as well? :gary:

Soonerus
11/5/2009, 12:23 AM
Hasn't Barry said he handled this poorly as well? :gary:

not exactly...

OKLA21FAN
11/5/2009, 12:34 AM
not exactly...

keep going ..... ;)

MrJimBeam
11/5/2009, 08:17 AM
Aggies in '83 is the only punt I remember being blocked. As a matter of fact I don't think the Aggies got a hand on the ball. Our punter, can't remember his name but he was from Seminole, kicked the ball into the personal protectors back. It was then picked up and returned for the Aggie TD.

Sooner24
11/5/2009, 09:15 AM
HE NEVER WAS ON THE FIELD ?? REALLY ?? Who was that out there coaching the Sooners ?

He was on the sidelines not on the field. REALLY!!!!!

Soonersince57
11/5/2009, 09:31 AM
Wow! We used to win close games? Who knew?

Believe it . . . . or not.