PDA

View Full Version : Really Don't Mind if I Sit This One Out!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/4/2009, 12:44 AM
I went and saw Ian Anderson live, performing the "Acoustical Jethro Tull". I had killer seats, about 20 rows from the stage. He had 6 people total in the band, with Ian playing flute, guitar and harmonica, a woman on violin, a drummer, an acoustical guitarrist, base guitarrist, and a guy who played piano, accordian, and a type of middle east drum. Anderson is a fabulous flautist, of course, and all the band members were talented...but, Ian is losing some of his vocal range, and he's not as smooth as he still is on the instruments. The show was good, but I was hoping for a bit more oomph in the performance. Also, and most lacking for me, is that they DIDN'T PLAY THICK AS A BRICK!!! WHAT were they thinking there? I give it a B.

11/4/2009, 08:30 PM
H'ain't nobody a Tull fan? No silly-a$$ed questions at all?

LosAngelesSooner
11/4/2009, 08:32 PM
OOOH! OOOH! RESPOND TO YOURSELF AGAIN!!!!

SanJoaquinSooner
11/4/2009, 09:29 PM
They played Aqualung and Tapestry every damned day during lunch at the dorms when I was a frosh at OU.

Howzit
11/4/2009, 09:33 PM
Ian farms him a mean salmon, though.

Crucifax Autumn
11/5/2009, 02:43 AM
Tull Rocks, Ian Rocks....I love them.

I'm guessing the Thick as a Brick omission was due to time constraints...the whole thing is pretty long and he had to make some decisions I guess. I'm wondering if he was under the weather...last few live things I've seen he sounded good.

Just glad to see there are at least a few poeple who know the difference between the bandleader and the band!

11/5/2009, 02:58 AM
Tull Rocks, Ian Rocks....I love them.

I'm guessing the Thick as a Brick omission was due to time constraints...the whole thing is pretty long and he had to make some decisions I guess. I'm wondering if he was under the weather...last few live things I've seen he sounded good.

Just glad to see there are at least a few poeple who know the difference between the bandleader and the band!How long ago did you last see him perform live? Was it billed as Jethro Tull, or Ian performing Jethro Tull songs-"plays the acoustic Jethro Tull"? The only other time I saw him/them, was back in 1977, during their haydays, and that performance was FABULOUS! What a show it was!

Crucifax Autumn
11/5/2009, 03:18 AM
Been a long time since I actually saw them in person. I was just thinking of a bunch of live performances from pretty much all times I'd watched on youtube and so on and he pretty much seemed right on all of them. I DO know his vocals quit being as ambitious on the studio work beginning in the late 80s, so perhaps you have a point. He IS getting old!

11/5/2009, 01:50 PM
Been a long time since I actually saw them in person. I was just thinking of a bunch of live performances from pretty much all times I'd watched on youtube and so on and he pretty much seemed right on all of them. I DO know his vocals quit being as ambitious on the studio work beginning in the late 80s, so perhaps you have a point. He IS getting old!I got 2 yrs on him, and I know my vocal range has fallen off a lot. (I've never sang commercially, but have always enjoyed singing. I was in the OU chorus or whatever the title was at the time. Lotta fine looking gals there, back then)

I think any time he performs Jethro Tull music, he pretty much HAS to do "Aqualung"(which he did), and at least part of "Thick As a Brick", which he didn't.

sitzpinkler
11/5/2009, 02:17 PM
H'ain't nobody a Tull fan? No silly-a$$ed questions at all?

I have a silly-assed question:

wth is a base guitarr???

;)

11/5/2009, 02:26 PM
I have a silly-assed question:

wth is a base guitarr???

;)ah, spelling smack. I'm usually a pretty good speller. Sorry for the affront.

Crucifax Autumn
11/5/2009, 10:03 PM
I got 2 yrs on him, and I know my vocal range has fallen off a lot. (I've never sang commercially, but have always enjoyed singing. I was in the OU chorus or whatever the title was at the time. Lotta fine looking gals there, back then)

I think any time he performs Jethro Tull music, he pretty much HAS to do "Aqualung"(which he did), and at least part of "Thick As a Brick", which he didn't.

If it was up to me (no Tull pun intended) He (they) would ALWAYS play all of Thick as a Brick, time constraints be damned. Others I would really want to hear are My God, Mother Goose, Bouree, Nothing is Easy, A Song for Jeffrey, and maybe Skating Away, Teacher, or To Cry You a Song.

Yep...I'm picky. If he or they insist on playing Aqualung every show, I'd like to see the entire thing so I could hear little gems like Cheap Day Return, Wund'ring Aloud, and Hymn 43. Not to mention my ALL-TIME favorite Tull song, Wind Up. And yep...I'm a Tull fanatic. :D

11/5/2009, 10:24 PM
If it was up to me (no Tull pun intended) He (they) would ALWAYS play all of Thick as a Brick, time constraints be damned. Others I would really want to hear are My God, Mother Goose, Bouree, Nothing is Easy, A Song for Jeffrey, and maybe Skating Away, Teacher, or To Cry You a Song.

Yep...I'm picky. If he or they insist on playing Aqualung every show, I'd like to see the entire thing so I could hear little gems like Cheap Day Return, Wund'ring Aloud, and Hymn 43. Not to mention my ALL-TIME favorite Tull song, Wind Up. And yep...I'm a Tull fanatic. :DVery cool of you. I view Tull music as sort of a very stylized jazz, for the most part.I do like it a lot. Specific melodies show up, particularly on the songs that were his commercial hits.

He did play the song Aqualung, and some of the others from the Aqualung album. Mother Goose is, I believe, and something else I don't remember. They played Skating Away, and Anderson prolly did the worst job of singing in the whole show on that one. (like a rabbit on the run)He strained. BOUREE was one of the best of the evenig. Aqualung was good, but nowhere near what it could have been.

I don't have the knowledge of the Tull catalogue that you do, so there were several songs they played I didn't know. Some of the ones you mentioned I don't know by name. They played about 2 hrs., with a 20 minute intermission.

Anybody reading this thread, and not really very familiar with Jethro Tull music, would do well to buy the "Thick as a Brick" cd, if you want to hear them at their very best.