PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Or Texas.....Who Deserves The Higher BCS Ranking?

FaninAma
11/3/2009, 02:11 PM
If both of these 2 teams finish undefeated who deserves to be ranked higher in the BCS?

Iowa would have wins against Penn State and Ohio State on the road.

Texas' resume would include the win against OU on a neutral field and a win against the Cowboys on the road. The latter win will look less and less impressive if the aggies lose to OU and TT as I suspect they will.

I do think Texas will get a lot of sympathy votes because of what happened last year. Should the above scenario play out and Texas goes to the title game I would not be suprised to see the Big Ten and Pac Ten start to grumble again about pulling out of the BCS.

BoulderSooner79
11/3/2009, 02:25 PM
This boils down to the question of who is better or who is more deserving. The BCS tries to blend both factors by including human polls and computer rankings. In the case you described, Iowa would probably come out on top in the computer polls (deserving). But most people will say texas is better (me included). You worded your question as "deserving", but the answer is irrelevant since that is not the total picture the BCS is attempting to capture.

FaninAma
11/3/2009, 02:33 PM
This boils down to the question of who is better or who is more deserving. The BCS tries to blend both factors by including human polls and computer rankings. In the case you described, Iowa would probably come out on top in the computer polls (deserving). But most people will say texas is better (me included). You worded your question as "deserving", but the answer is irrelevant since that is not the total picture the BCS is attempting to capture.

You are correct. The more appropriate question should be "Which team WILL be ranked higher in the BCS if both go undefeated for the remainder of the regular season?"

Subjectively Iowa's wins over Penn State and Ohio State on the road certainly overshadow Texas' best wins.....especially considering the circumstances surrounding the RRR game in Dallas.

BoulderSooner79
11/3/2009, 02:38 PM
You are correct. The more appropriate question should be "Which team WILL be ranked higher in the BCS if both go undefeated for the remainder of the regular season?"

Subjectively Iowa's wins over Penn State and Ohio State on the road certainly overshadow Texas' best wins.....especially considering the circumstances surrounding the RRR game in Dallas.

Weighting is 1/3 computer and 2/3 humans, so it will depend on the political winds blowing at the time. Hint: I wouldn't put any hard earned cash on Iowa.

badger
11/3/2009, 02:42 PM
Iowa is in serious need of some style points. They have had some close calls that suggest they are not as strong as their undefeated record shows.

However, their key win is against Penn State on the road. If they can beat Ohio State on the road (next week I think?), they may just sway enough voters to make this a style points battle instead of a "we were on top before, so we're staying on top" discussion.

Texas can cry foul (again), but their victories over us and OSU will not seem as significant as victories over usual-Big 10 powers Penn State and Ohio State on the road.

If Iowa wins convincingly, a hornfans.com meltdown will be imminent when the polls come out.

FaninAma
11/3/2009, 02:55 PM
Iowa is in serious need of some style points. They have had some close calls that suggest they are not as strong as their undefeated record shows.

However, their key win is against Penn State on the road. If they can beat Ohio State on the road (next week I think?), they may just sway enough voters to make this a style points battle instead of a "we were on top before, so we're staying on top" discussion.

Texas can cry foul (again), but their victories over us and OSU will not seem as significant as victories over usual-Big 10 powers Penn State and Ohio State on the road.

If Iowa wins convincingly, a hornfans.com meltdown will be imminent when the polls come out.

It may get very, very close....especially if TT beats osu.

It may even come down to the point that Texas needs OU to win out to prop up their strength of schedule.

If OU loses another game watch the national media talking heads start to yammer about how weak the Big 12 is and that the conference champion from this league does not deserve a spot in the title game.

I will be interested if the BCS tightens up dramatically to see how OU will be treated by the Big 12 officiating crews down the stretch.

badger
11/3/2009, 02:59 PM
It is clear that the only chances the Big 12 has of having a second BCS team are OU and OSU.

The question remains which pony the Big 12 decides to ride.

If history dictates their decision, look for OSU to go into full meltdown mode following the lowered expectations, with hopes of playing the spoiler role in Norman.

A three-loss OU team might have an outside chance of making a BCS bowl, given that the losses were on the road against pretty good opponents.

A two-loss OSU team would also have a chance, but a bowl would have a little bit at risk - OSU fans don't travel as well as OU fans.

The other possibility is that if Texas should lose before the Big 12 championship game, the Big 12's possibility of a second BCS team becomes the north champion... if they can somehow pull off a 2001/2003 miracle and take the title.

In any event, the Big 12 refs are now on notice - we're watching and scrutinizing your every move, Lane Kiffin-style.

soonermix
11/3/2009, 03:08 PM
first i don't recall the top 2 spots being swayed by coaches whining to get an at-large bid, yes but not the top 2 spots.

second texas is racking up some style points as of late while iowa is probably being seen as lucky as hell to be undefeated.

third with the pre-season polls the top 3 spots are on auto-pilot and i don't see iowa being able to jump texas in any way in the human polls and if i recall correctly iowa has an extra game in the computers which is why they might be so very high in the computers. after the big 12 championship that current advantage will go away for iowa.

lastly as for your question i won't get into "deserves" or "will" or whatever but i will say that texas imo get the nod because i mean c'mon iowa needed 2 blocked field goals to beat northern iowa and trailed indiana for 3 quarters.
i think they are doing a great job of imitating a good team.

FaninAma
11/3/2009, 03:13 PM
It is clear that the only chances the Big 12 has of having a second BCS team are OU and OSU.

The question remains which pony the Big 12 decides to ride.

If history dictates their decision, look for OSU to go into full meltdown mode following the lowered expectations, with hopes of playing the spoiler role in Norman.

A three-loss OU team might have an outside chance of making a BCS bowl, given that the losses were on the road against pretty good opponents.

A two-loss OSU team would also have a chance, but a bowl would have a little bit at risk - OSU fans don't travel as well as OU fans.

The other possibility is that if Texas should lose before the Big 12 championship game, the Big 12's possibility of a second BCS team becomes the north champion... if they can somehow pull off a 2001/2003 miracle and take the title.

In any event, the Big 12 refs are now on notice - we're watching and scrutinizing your every move, Lane Kiffin-style.

Badger, it would be interesting to follow OU's penalty statistics for the remainder of the year.

Was Mangino correct? Is it all about the dough-ray-me?

Texas' SOS looks a hell of a lot better with a win over a 9-3 OU team that finishes the season strongly.

Plus, a 9-3 team with OU's reputation and fan base proprensity to travel well will look very attractive to a BCS bowl if they have the option to choose them.

Oh and you can add a win over a top 20 Arizona team to Iowa's resume.

FaninAma
11/3/2009, 03:19 PM
first i don't recall the top 2 spots being swayed by coaches whining to get an at-large bid, yes but not the top 2 spots.

second texas is racking up some style points as of late while iowa is probably being seen as lucky as hell to be undefeated.

third with the pre-season polls the top 3 spots are on auto-pilot and i don't see iowa being able to jump texas in any way in the human polls and if i recall correctly iowa has an extra game in the computers which is why they might be so very high in the computers. after the big 12 championship that current advantage will go away for iowa.

lastly as for your question i won't get into "deserves" or "will" or whatever but i will say that texas imo get the nod because i mean c'mon iowa needed 2 blocked field goals to beat northern iowa and trailed indiana for 3 quarters.
i think they are doing a great job of imitating a good team.

The voters have short memories. At the end of the year they will forget Iowa's close calls if they finish with a convincing win at the Horseshoe. I can already see the national media calling them a team of destiny.

Remember CU shared the national title the year they got the benefit of the 5th down at Mizzou. Voters, in the end, don't look at the specific way you got to 12-0. They will look at who you beat and how you finished.

Plus, the fact that this is really a down year in the Big 12 will hurt Texas. Last year was a very up year with all of the offensive firepower the league displayed. Watch the slow, steady anit-Big 12 drumbeat to begin in the national media in earnest should Iowa beat Ohio State....similiar to the way OU was dissed the year LSU got in with 2 losses.

soonermix
11/3/2009, 03:30 PM
fair enough i will concede voters having short memories but i would like to say that i do keep hearing about how much the big 10 sucks or at least something like that.
even with the big 12 being down i think we are still viewed better than the big 10

badger
11/3/2009, 03:39 PM
The problem with the Big 12 this year is the number of ranked teams left.

Texas, OU and OSU.

Big 12 has at least four right now, if memory serves correctly - Iowa, Penn St, tOSU and Wisky.

If Iowa continues to run the gauntlet, it will have defeated all three Big 10 teams this season ON. THE. ROAD.

Texas, on the other hand, defeated one at a neutral site and the other in a blowout on the road.

Unfortunately, Oklahoma State will not be viewed as a prestigious win compared to the Iowa's Big 10 wins, because they have no football history (with apologies to Barry Sanders and OSU's non-football 48 national championships).

And heaven help Texas if Poke State falls to Iowa State, because Iowa already beat Iowa State this season.

Okie35
11/3/2009, 04:00 PM
IMO Iowa deserves the higher ranking they've played better teams on the road.

badger
11/3/2009, 04:03 PM
I really think Iowa is set to lay an egg against Ohio State, or another team before season's end. It might also be possible for tOSU to pull one off against Penn State, giving the Big 10 two teams with two losses going into the Iowa-Ohio State game.

TexasLidig8r
11/3/2009, 04:08 PM
Y'all seem to be discounting the computer aspect.

Right now.. Ioway is ranked 1st in the computer polls.. they have nowhere to go but.. down. I believe Texas right now is 8th in the computer polls. The stat gurus have predicted Texas will continue to rise even with the meat of our schedule behind us.

Also, Ioway has Northwestern and Minnesota left. Both will drag them down in the computer rankings. Yes, in the event Ohio State loses to Ioway, that will prop them up a bit.. but.. keep in mind.. Ohio State isn't top 10 either.

From the human polls perspective, Ioway's last game is Nov 21. Texas has 2 games after that... 2 games to impress and to get more votes.

As for crapping the bed in MNC games... Texas hasn't done that and is not being painted with the Ou in MNC games brush.

Despite how hard Nuevo-GDC wants there to be a controversy with Ioway.. ain't gonna happen.

Crucifax Autumn
11/3/2009, 04:10 PM
Iowa might just have to show up for the first half to beat Ohio State, but that's not a sure thing. They all blow IMO.

Crucifax Autumn
11/3/2009, 04:13 PM
Y'all seem to be discounting the computer

Now THAT is a shocking role-reversal from the team that doesn't even understand how the BCS works and seems to have thought last year that only the people polls mattered.

TUSooner
11/3/2009, 04:16 PM
OhSU will beat Iowa anyway (and unfortunately).

I'll always have a soft spot for Iowa though, mainly because they pulled off about a 60-yard pass and run to beat LSU on the last play of some bowl game a few years ago.

badger
11/3/2009, 04:16 PM
Now THAT is a shocking role-reversal from the team that doesn't even understand how the BCS works and seems to have thought last year that only the people polls mattered.

Run him over with the Schooner for added effect :D

beer4me
11/3/2009, 04:18 PM
Well many good points made in this thread I think at this point Iowa certainly has a more impressive resume to be sure. With the B12 only being a also ran this year.

And Texass mind boggling difficult OOC schedule. But I think Texass would beat Iowa head to head by a million points.

But hope at the end of the year I hope Iowa finishes ahead of fexus because I find their whining somewhat cute. ;) :D

FaninAma
11/3/2009, 04:26 PM
Y'all seem to be discounting the computer aspect.

Right now.. Ioway is ranked 1st in the computer polls.. they have nowhere to go but.. down. I believe Texas right now is 8th in the computer polls. The stat gurus have predicted Texas will continue to rise even with the meat of our schedule behind us.

Also, Ioway has Northwestern and Minnesota left. Both will drag them down in the computer rankings. Yes, in the event Ohio State loses to Ioway, that will prop them up a bit.. but.. keep in mind.. Ohio State isn't top 10 either.

From the human polls perspective, Ioway's last game is Nov 21. Texas has 2 games after that... 2 games to impress and to get more votes.

As for crapping the bed in MNC games... Texas hasn't done that and is not being painted with the Ou in MNC games brush.

Despite how hard Nuevo-GDC wants there to be a controversy with Ioway.. ain't gonna happen.

I actually think Texas will get into the title game even if Iowa wins out but it could get a little dicey if OU loses to TT or OSU and OSU loses to TT. That would make the Tech game Texas' signature win.....the same Tech team that lost to TAMU at home and to Houston.

Everything is connjecture at this point but IMO Texas would be better served to have OU win out.

In 2004 I didn't like the fact that OU's chances at getting in the title game rested, in part, on Texas finishing the season well but that is the nature of our current system for crowning the D-1 national champion.

I find it interesting that you still seem fixated on rushing to UT's defense at the subtlest slight against your beloved horns. For the life of me I just can't grasp why you are so perturbed that there may be someone on an OU board that doesn't care for UT or their fans.

BTW, I actually thought you would have respnded a lot quicker to this thread so kudos for controlling your OCD better than I thought you could.

westbrooke
11/3/2009, 04:32 PM
Well many good points made in this thread I think at this point Iowa certainly has a more impressive resume to be sure. With the B12 only being a also ran this year.

And Texass mind boggling difficult OOC schedule. But I think Texass would beat Iowa head to head by a million points.

But hope at the end of the year I hope Iowa finishes ahead of fexus because I find their whining somewhat cute. ;) :D

This is what matters. We can sit back and say that Iowa's resume looks better when stripped of context, but the voters watching the actual games see and think the same thing you just said. No way Iowa jumps an undefeated Texas.

beer4me
11/3/2009, 04:35 PM
This is what matters. We can sit back and say that Iowa's resume looks better when stripped of context, but the voters watching the actual games see and think the same thing you just said. No way Iowa jumps an undefeated Texas.

Sadly bro your right me thinks :O

cjames317
11/3/2009, 04:54 PM
Since Bob Stoops decided to start voting in the Coaches' poll again, I wonder what he thinks?

TexasLidig8r
11/3/2009, 04:59 PM
I actually think Texas will get into the title game even if Iowa wins out but it could get a little dicey if OU loses to TT or OSU and OSU loses to TT. That would make the Tech game Texas' signature win.....the same Tech team that lost to TAMU at home and to Houston.

Everything is connjecture at this point but IMO Texas would be better served to have OU win out.

In 2004 I didn't like the fact that OU's chances at getting in the title game rested, in part, on Texas finishing the season well but that is the nature of our current system for crowning the D-1 national champion.

I find it interesting that you still seem fixated on rushing to UT's defense at the subtlest slight against your beloved horns. For the life of me I just can't grasp why you are so perturbed that there may be someone on an OU board that doesn't care for UT or their fans.

BTW, I actually thought you would have respnded a lot quicker to this thread so kudos for controlling your OCD better than I thought you could.

I didn't say anything about UT's rush defense in the post you cited.

Oh.. and am not perturbed.. just.. stirring the pot a bit. :D

OCD?? WHAT DOES THAT MEAN!??? OCD??!! FINE!!! WHERE'S MY MEDICATION?!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: ;)

GKeeper316
11/3/2009, 05:03 PM
plain and simple... if they both win out, the cows will get the nod.

damn cows.

Crucifax Autumn
11/3/2009, 05:03 PM

Since when did the voters actually watch the games?

Crucifax Autumn
11/3/2009, 05:05 PM
I didn't say anything about UT's rush defense in the post you cited.

I sincerely hope that was a joke and your reading comprehension isn't that low.

SoonerFanInAustin
11/3/2009, 10:46 PM
No way Iowa passes Tex. Tex will get sympathy votes because what happened last yr. IMO, it should matter who you play and where you play them. That is not the case in current day football. Just like the Heisman going to the best player in college football. It typically goes to the top player on one of the top teams in the nation.

It all depends on how you want to look at things (half empty/half full)

Tex beats a OU, our QB is knocked out very early, plus numerous injuries during the game. Tex says, we beat a quality OU team and it is a rivalry. It is always a tough game

Tex beats #14 OSU. They don't have their top RB or WR. OSU's ranking is really high, because they haven't beat anyone. They will lose a couple of more games this yr. Tes says, we went on the road and beat a Top 15 team at their place. In a wild environment.

I guess they hang their next best win on blasting Mizzu at Mizzu. Again, Mizzu is not a good team. They may end up 7-5. If they are lucky 8-4. They have 3 games at home, so that may be possible. UT fans will say, we had a tough road game after the OU game. PLEASE !!!

Then it was beating TT. Are you serious? You won by 10 at home. The same team the Aggies drove in Lubbock. UT fans will say, it was a tough conference game at the beginning of the yr. It was a big win for us.

With the rest of their schedule, Kansas or the Aggies will be their next biggest win. Again, if Iowa can beat Penn St, Ohio St and Wis all on the road. Those 3 wins will be much better than UT's. They will all be ranked after the regular season. We will be the only team ranked possibly on UT's schedule when said and done.

But UT will get to play for the crystal.

badger
11/4/2009, 09:35 AM
Soooo.... asterisk on the year 2009 over/under when UT gets left outta the title game? :D

soonerinabilene
11/4/2009, 10:50 AM
imo, iowa should be behind cinci and tcu.

A-M
11/4/2009, 11:40 AM
The answer is so obvious that I don't understand why no one has figured it out yet. Iowa goes because they are not Texas. Enought said!

Lawtonsoonerfan01
11/4/2009, 11:45 AM
Sounds about right

sooneron
11/4/2009, 12:07 PM
Face it, we are the cows best win... by three points against an offense that had to rebuild on the field that day.
No one is very good this year.

And Lid, speaking to your dooshy statement about ****ting the bed in the title game, last year was anyone's game with 5 minutes left to play. Usually, you can be a doosh and yet, be true to what really happened. Funny how you mention the "real horn fans" aren't the ones calling in on the asstin radio show on the other thread and you sound like one of them with that tripe. :rolleyes:

TexasLidig8r
11/4/2009, 12:19 PM
And Lid, speaking to your dooshy statement about ****ting the bed in the title game, last year was anyone's game with 5 minutes left to play. Usually, you can be a doosh and yet, be true to what really happened.

So, Im an honest *********? excellent!
Funny how you mention the "real horn fans" aren't the ones calling in on the asstin radio show on the other thread and you sound like one of them with that tripe. :rolleyes:

Nah.. it was a close game. Stoopsie has proven that his teams cannot win close games. Look at the stats.

badger
11/4/2009, 12:20 PM
This thread can be all lulz and rawfulz (????) when one of these teams lose.

kbsooner21
11/4/2009, 12:20 PM
Texas

Statalyzer
11/4/2009, 06:48 PM

Don't forget Arkansas State.

tfoolry
11/5/2009, 10:23 AM
*Texass* may look better on paper but don't underestimate the coaching ability of Ferentz, O'Keefe & Parker as they don't have a roster of 4/5 star players so they're never going to hang 1/2 hundred on anyone. Just take a look at 2006 Alamo Bowl, right down the street from Austin in which Iowa dominated most of game until whorns rallied for a 26-24 win. Yes, those were diff. teams but same Iowa coaches. Iowa, like OU, usually plays better when everyone says they have no chance but they've been known to lay an egg when heavily favored. That said, Iowa will be expected to win against NW on Sat. & they're on the next cover of next SI in Midwest so they're prob. toast this weekend anyway.

the_sooners_abide
11/5/2009, 10:32 AM
Iowa due to their tougher schedule and Bob Stoops playing there...