PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 considering changing league format; we could play the huskers annually.

adoniijahsooner
11/3/2009, 12:48 PM
They will talk about it in December.

Ringo: Big 12 mulls changing North, South scheduling
By Kyle Ringo Camera Sports Writer
Posted: 11/03/2009 12:25:47 AM MST

Big 12 athletic directors will discuss possible changes to the league`s current football scheduling model when they meet in New York in December and again at league meetings next spring.
One option has support from a small group of athletic directors from North Division schools, including Colorado athletic director Mike Bohn, but it hasn`t been presented to the full league yet.

Under the current scheduling system, Colorado faces Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma State this year, completing a two-year cycle of playing those teams home and away. It won`t face those opponents in the regular season again until 2012 because it begins a new two-year home-and-away cycle with Oklahoma, Baylor and Texas Tech next year.

The proposed change would be for teams never to go more than one year without facing each other in the regular season. Colorado would play Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma State this year and then play the other three South Division foes next season. In the third year, the Buffs would play Texas, Texas A&M and OSU again but at the opposite site from this season.

The league already has completed future schedules through the 2014 season and it`s likely any changes would not take effect until 2015. However, it`s possible changes could be instituted sooner if there was broad agreement for one option.

"We`re hopeful that we can find some models we can build some consensus around," Bohn said.

Multiple models are expected to be discussed, with the possibility that no changes will be made. Some have proposed in the past that historic rivalries should be played every year regardless of divisions. The most notable game fitting that description in the Big 12 is the Nebraska-Oklahoma game.

Those teams will meet this weekend in Lincoln, Neb. They used to play at or near the end of the regular season every year during the heyday of the old Big Eight Conference, but the rivalry has lost some of its luster since the Big 12 formed and adopted the current scheduling method.

"I think there is no question it's changed," OU coach Bob Stoops said Monday. "It's different. You think back in the old Big Eight days and for so many year it was Oklahoma and Nebraska at the top of the league and battling at the end of the season every year. There is no denying the difference now and that it just has changed and you don't play every year and you're not in the same division."

Other 12-team leagues have different scheduling models, which keep historical rivalries in place each year between teams from opposite divisions. Some teams from opposite divisions in the Atlantic Coast Conference and the Southeastern Conference can go as long as three seasons without playing each other. Clemson from the Atlantic Division in the ACC and North Carolina from the Coastal Division have played one time in the past six seasons since the ACC expanded to 12 teams.

Bohn said he supports playing most opponents within the division later in the season, which is the case under the current Big 12 model. But he also would like to see Texas and Oklahoma have to come to Boulder occasionally in November instead of always playing those teams at the start of conference play in late September or early October.

http://www.dailycamera.com/sports/ci_13700054

OklahomaTuba
11/3/2009, 12:57 PM
Screw baylor and A&M, OU should be playing the bugeaters every year. The fact we don't is a crime IMO.

adoniijahsooner
11/3/2009, 01:00 PM
Agree 100 percent, but at the time the league started Neb was throat punching us on a annual basis.

cjames317
11/3/2009, 01:18 PM
The huskers just need to get better so we can play them every year for the Big 12 Championship.

JLEW1818
11/3/2009, 01:23 PM
does the SEC do this?

I know Florida and LSU always play, i think

SoonerDood
11/3/2009, 01:44 PM
they'd probably make * annual rival be Iowa State or something of the like.

oudivesherpa
11/3/2009, 01:51 PM
How about just playing the top two teams each year for the Big 12 Championship? Shouldn't the best two teams regardless of the division play for the Championship? But then Big 12 North teams would be more irrelevant than they are now.

badger
11/3/2009, 01:59 PM
If Dr. Tom didn't retire, Nebraska would still be dominant.

Frank Solich didn't work out perfectly (although he didn't suck, either), Bill Callahan was not their first choice as the next Nebbish leader (but he was the only one that didn't turn them down, it seems), and Bo Pelini needs more time to see if he will be more Frank Solich, or more Bill Callahan... but he is no Dr. Tom.

I think Nebbish's demise is not exaggerated at all. It all comes down to who's in charge... and right now, they probably wish Dr. Tom would pull a Bill Snyder.

Crucifax Autumn
11/3/2009, 02:05 PM
How about just playing the top two teams each year for the Big 12 Championship? Shouldn't the best two teams regardless of the division play for the Championship? But then Big 12 North teams would be more irrelevant than they are now.

I think that's a terrible idea unless they change it to where everyone in the Big 12 plays everyone else annually and we have no divisions.

As for the traditional rivalries being played yearly it's a pretty good idea other than the fact that Nebraska will eventually return to their former glory and none of the other South teams have any true traditional rivals in the North. To me that would put OU at a scheduling disadvantage, and it's bad enough that we actually play a tough non-conference schedule year in and year out while texass plays nothing but total pussies including UTEP which really kills me since even if UTEP was any good some year there's be some kinda hanky panky in which UT would cheat seeing as how UTEP is actually part of UT. I swear one of these years texass is gonna start scheduling junior colleges.

The Maudfather
11/3/2009, 02:07 PM
As stated above, the fact that we do not play annually is a crime. I am hopeful that something will be worked out to restore this rivalry.

soonervegas
11/3/2009, 02:09 PM
I would like to move away from the North/South divisions in football and lock in some rivalry games. I actually think that might help Nebrska and Colorado if they were cracking skulls with OU and Texas every year. The other 4 North teams are screwed regardless.

TexasLidig8r
11/3/2009, 02:10 PM

Uh yeah.. no.

Nebbish was dominant for all those years because of their walk up program, Prop 48 and partial qualifiers. When the Prop 48 and partial qualifiers were done away with by the Big XII, that shook the foundation.

The onset of the "spread offenses" further led to the demise of Nebraska. If you are a great high school athlete, where do you want to play.. in a warm weather school that emphasizes wide open offenses.. or Nebraska?

The kids they used to get from California are staying on the West Coast.. SC, Oregon, Cal.

Osborne saw the handwriting on the wall.

Crucifax Autumn
11/3/2009, 02:12 PM
As stated above, the fact that we do not play annually is a crime. I am hopeful that something will be worked out to restore this rivalry.

I completely agree, but for the good of both teams I hope they somehow make sure everyone else gets a tough game too. I realize that if Nebraska got back to what they should be and always have been, we'd still regularly win our Divisions and have an annual rematch in the CCG, but the idea that texass and ATM and the like would end up with an annual "rivalry game" against ISU or Colorado who will NEVER be any good again.

soonervegas
11/3/2009, 02:13 PM
Uh yeah.. no.

Nebbish was dominant for all those years because of their walk up program, Prop 48 and partial qualifiers. When the Prop 48 and partial qualifiers were done away with by the Big XII, that shook the foundation.

The onset of the "spread offenses" further led to the demise of Nebraska. If you are a great high school athlete, where do you want to play.. in a warm weather school that emphasizes wide open offenses.. or Nebraska?

The kids they used to get from California are staying on the West Coast.. SC, Oregon, Cal.

Can we save this for when Nebraska gets good again? I will want a chuckle down the road. Typical Texas bravado.....

Crucifax Autumn
11/3/2009, 02:17 PM
Uh yeah.. no.

Yeah.... :rolleyes:

Maybe they should just do like uterus and actually expect people to believe that a guy like Vince Young could manage passing grades...even in basket-weaving that moron would be lucky to get a D if he wasn't a football player. That guy makes the whorn business majors standing around drunk and yelling obcenities to the chicks at 10 AM I used to see on the UT campus on my way to the library look like Mensa members. If that guy passed a class on toenail clipping I'd be shocked.

badger
11/3/2009, 02:20 PM
I'm gonna ignore Lid's comment and move right along... not because I don't think I can defend my opinion or because I think I can't argue against his, but because saying Dr. Tom would have kept Nebraska on top is just an opinion and one that cannot be supported or demoted. It didn't happen. Dr. Tom retired. Saying Nebraska would survive or sink under Dr. Tom if he didn't retire's all speculation. Oh, wait, I was going to ignore him... argh... anyways...

If they were to do the one-team rivalry thing, who do you think they'd match each team with?

OU-Nebraska obviously. But what about the other five matchups that this would call for?

fwsooner22
11/3/2009, 02:20 PM
Uh yeah.. no.

Gosh ! So that's why Iowa stinks and Ohio State has fallen off. That whole thing lacks foundation.

soonervegas
11/3/2009, 02:24 PM
To answer Badger's question:

OU-NU
UT-CU
A&M-Mizzou
OSU-KU or KSU
Tech - KU or KSU
Baylor - ISU

badger
11/3/2009, 02:30 PM
Man, Colorado will get their arses kicked by UT under that scenario... but, they earned it, after all - spoiling Texas' Big 12 and nat'l title hopes in 2001.

I think A&M and KU battle would be fun, seeing how both kind of like their basketball programs almost as much as their football programs right about now... maybe KU loves basketball a little more and A&M loves football a little more.

Baylor - ISU would have some fun nicknames, but they have coaches in place that could make that game meaningful later on down the road.

OSU-KSU would be a good battle of the little brother schools.

I really think Tech should be the one facing CU and then Texas could face Mizzou. The two west schools battle it out for the land that rains mud:D

Fraggle145
11/3/2009, 03:38 PM
does the SEC do this?

I know Florida and LSU always play, i think

Yes. Every team has a historical rival that they play every year. Bama/Tenn, UF/LSU, UGA/Aub, etc...

Oldnslo
11/3/2009, 03:44 PM
Here's a radical idea. Every team in the Big 12 plays every other team in the Big 12. You want a championship game, go ahead and put the top 2 against one another.

homerSimpsonsBrain
11/3/2009, 10:02 PM
I'd like to see something like English Football (soccer). Have a premier division and a relegation division. Top 5 teams are premier, # 6 is relegated at the end of the year. Top team from relegation (#7) is moved to premier. Best plays the best year in and year out. Baylor, ISU, TAMU, CU, etc have to work their way to the top.

Not much chance of it as it makes our schedule tougher but it would make the league better.

madillsoonerfan5353
11/3/2009, 10:21 PM
Here's a radical idea. Every team in the Big 12 plays every other team in the Big 12. You want a championship game, go ahead and put the top 2 against one another.

The only thing with this is that you only get like 1 non-con game? I don't like the idea of playing a conference game right off the bat. Unless it was Baylor or ISU! :D

:gary:

madillsoonerfan5353
11/3/2009, 10:23 PM
Maybe switch from north and south to east and west? Mix the south in with the north?

:gary:

Blues1
11/3/2009, 10:49 PM
I Like Just The Way It Is......
Playing a game every other Year in Lincoln in a Late Cold November doesn't suit our present offense ~ Why Give them that advantage...? Nebraska just needs to step up and Win The Big 12 North once in awhile.....Trying to Bring back a Big Yesterday Rivarly game now is like dating a old girlfriend who is now a old fat lady....... :)

sooners2win
11/3/2009, 11:32 PM

Frank Solich didn't work out perfectly (although he didn't suck, either), Bill Callahan was not their first choice as the next Nebbish leader (but he was the only one that didn't turn them down, it seems), and Bo Pelini needs more time to see if he will be more Frank Solich, or more Bill Callahan... but he is no Dr. Tom.

I think Nebbish's demise is not exaggerated at all. It all comes down to who's in charge... and right now, they probably wish Dr. Tom would pull a Bill Snyder.

If Switzer hadn't retired.........Nebraska would have never been dominant :pop:

Husker In Oklahoma
11/4/2009, 09:59 AM

:rolleyes:

BigRedTradition
11/4/2009, 10:29 AM
Would like to see it every year, too.

Miss it.

Then again, I miss having an offense, too. :O

delhalew
11/4/2009, 10:51 AM
Us v Neb is one of my fave rivalry games. I'm not scared.

Line it up, I want this bad and it will help the huskers return to were they belong.

Fraggle145
11/4/2009, 11:23 AM
We had to play texas and Nebraska during Switzer's tenure... seemed to work out just fine.

SoonerKnight
11/5/2009, 02:37 PM

:D

badger
11/5/2009, 02:51 PM
I love this game, I really do. Think Nebrasky could have warm weather for once in November that night? :D

Oldnslo
11/5/2009, 03:24 PM
I'd like to see something like English Football (soccer). Have a premier division and a relegation division. Top 5 teams are premier, # 6 is relegated at the end of the year. Top team from relegation (#7) is moved to premier. Best plays the best year in and year out. Baylor, ISU, TAMU, CU, etc have to work their way to the top.

Not much chance of it as it makes our schedule tougher but it would make the league better.

This is an interesting idea. There could even be room for a conference championship game, but it would always be the "established" team against an upstart. Of course, since other leagues wouldn't do it, the Big 12 wouldn't.

stoopified
11/5/2009, 04:47 PM
I don't want to regain OU-NU just to lose OU-UT.If I had to choose just one,it would be the RRR.

jbstrick
11/5/2009, 11:12 PM
Screw baylor and A&M, OU should be playing the bugeaters every year. The fact we don't is a crime IMO.

This...

PLaw
11/6/2009, 12:36 AM
Other interesting North-South annual match-ups:

CU / TTU or UT maybe a 2-star if CU ever gets their act together

OSU / KSU

Not really much out there that would be sexy enough for the networks.

BOOMER

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/6/2009, 12:54 AM
Uh yeah.. no.

Osborne saw the handwriting on the wall.I think Osborne was just tired of the grind of college football, too, and he had achieved what I think was at least a subconscious goal-getting 3 NC'S, and being the only bugeater coach to ever do that.(as well as tying his nemesis, Barry Switzer, in that achievement, while also blistering the Sooners badly, near the end of his career at bugsyou)