PDA

View Full Version : Tulsaworld on KSU v Sooners...

OUmillenium
11/3/2009, 11:29 AM
Hope this hasn't been posted. Some interesting stuff here...

Snyder a sly old dog who can still bite OU
11/3/2009 2:32:00 AM

Brent Venables was reviewing some of the damage from last Saturday's game against Kansas State, when a twinge of appreciation for his old boss came out...

"We come out playing really well the first quarter and a half or so. Then we went through four consecutive drives where we're not playing up to par here and there. Give credit to Kansas State. Coach Snyder has been working on some new ballplays over the last couple years."

The old codger even stole from Florida's national championship-winning playbook from last Jan. 8, completing a jump-pass for a 2-point conversion. That was ice cold.

For a guy who is 1-5 against Bob Stoops, Bill Snyder sure has been a pain in the Sooners' butt the past decade. Besides being responsible for the second-most embarrassing loss of Stoops' career (see: 2003 Big 12 championship), Snyder has made life difficult even in defeat.

Wichita Eagle columnist Bob Lutz has some telling facts: "K-State's 30 points against the Sooners on Saturday were the most given up by the Sooners this season. The 35 scored by Kansas State in the 2003 Big 12 championship were the most given up by the Sooners that season, as were the 37 scored by K-State in 2001 and the 31 the Wildcats scored in 2000."

Another way to look at Snyder's troublemaking, courtesy of Mr. Lutz: Texas has averaged 22 points against the Stoops-coached Sooners. Texas Tech, with that wizard Mike Leach at the helm, has averaged 21.

K-State has averaged 30.

-- Guerin Emig

Collier11
11/3/2009, 11:45 AM
Goes to show how good of a coach Snyder is

badger
11/3/2009, 11:56 AM
I didn't know Brent was part of Snyder's staff too. Hmm... in any event, here's a link to the blog mentioned (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/blogs/blog.aspx?blogid=12#6631). It also has some cool tidbits on Bob's influence on Pelini to keep family close during football season.

boomermagic
11/3/2009, 12:16 PM
Goes to show how good of a coach Snyder is

Snyder is a coaching genius IMO... How many people tried to build a football program at Kstate ? No one could except Snyder.. He did it and now he's doing it again..

Crucifax Autumn
11/3/2009, 01:18 PM
Snyder's a pretty good coach for the most part, but what gets overlooked is the fact he has only beat Stoops once and that one barely counts since Mike was already out the door and I think maybe that affected the players a lot more than Bob would care to admit. I'm not a Venables basher in this statement, just pointing out it was his first game doing it by himself without a guy the players really respected at his side. Until Snyder can say he's somewhere in closer to .500 I'm not gonna give him some "Stoops Killer" reputation.

Crucifax Autumn
11/3/2009, 01:23 PM
I didn't know Brent was part of Snyder's staff too. Hmm... in any event, here's a link to the blog mentioned (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/blogs/blog.aspx?blogid=12#6631). It also has some cool tidbits on Bob's influence on Pelini to keep family close during football season.

I'm with you...Several really good "tidbits" on there. I enjoyed the blog about Franks' interception return against KU.

yermom
11/3/2009, 01:29 PM
dude knew how to evaluate talent, apparently

i mean he took the Mildcats to being a top 5 team in the 90's, and stocked up on assistants for Stoops to steal...

Collier11
11/3/2009, 02:09 PM
Shouldve played for the natl title in 98 I believe, they blew it against A&M

yermom
11/3/2009, 03:10 PM
oh, it was '98

ask any KState fan and they will tell you how Stoops robbed them of their best hope for a national championship that year

Collier11
11/3/2009, 03:32 PM
why, cus of the D?

boomermagic
11/3/2009, 03:38 PM
Snyder's a pretty good coach for the most part, but what gets overlooked is the fact he has only beat Stoops once and that one barely counts since Mike was already out the door and I think maybe that affected the players a lot more than Bob would care to admit. I'm not a Venables basher in this statement, just pointing out it was his first game doing it by himself without a guy the players really respected at his side. Until Snyder can say he's somewhere in closer to .500 I'm not gonna give him some "Stoops Killer" reputation.

How many times has Snyder had less talent than Stoops ? Maybe, EVERYTIME ? Hmmmm... The guy is coaching at kansas state "KANSAS STATE" not OU or Texas or USC or Florida..

goingoneight
11/3/2009, 03:57 PM
it's difficult to describe watching KSU under Snyder. They're always... even at their worst, talent-wise... ALWAYS dangerous. Snyder's teams against OU always seem to have an answer to no matter what we throw their way. Often times it's simple stuff too. Stuff that the highest-praised coordinators never seem to get on a consistent basis. Things like...

"So we have no chance in hell pass-protecting against OU's DL... let's eat their linebackers' lunch with out-routes and just roll a shotgun set away from all those big uglies."

Most other teams, OU and Texass included, usually just make a personnel adjustment here or there and figure they'll win hell or high water living by the sword.

BoulderSooner79
11/3/2009, 04:15 PM
The article didn't say Snyder was an OU killer - just a pain in the butt. I think that is pretty accurate given the relative talent of the squads. I just re-watched Saturday's game and had to marvel at the KR. The whole return team started out slanting to the right (as viewed by Banks) and then on queue, all slanted to the left and Banks hit a big seam. I've never seen a KR so well coreographed. It's usually a loosely coordinated effort with individuals adjusting to the guy in front of them and any gaps form by chance. I also can't help but like a guy who is 150lbs with arms that look like toothpicks more than holding his own against the big boys.

Collier11
11/3/2009, 04:27 PM
I know twice we have gotten up big at home only to hold on to win

yermom
11/3/2009, 04:46 PM
why, cus of the D?

when Stoops came to OU he took Mangino, Mike, and Vulnerables from the Snyder staff

right as they were going to play the Aggies

you know how we always talk about Mike getting hired by Arizona at the wrong time? ;)

Collier11
11/3/2009, 04:48 PM
oh got ya, I forgot about all that

yermom
11/3/2009, 04:51 PM
i worked with a KState fan in 2003

the championship game was "sweet sweet irony"

where is that :barf: smiley? :mad:

VA Sooner
11/3/2009, 10:42 PM
Old Coach Snyder... damn that guy is good.

sooners2win
11/3/2009, 11:39 PM
Hope this hasn't been posted. Some interesting stuff here...

Snyder a sly old dog who can still bite OU
11/3/2009 2:32:00 AM

Brent Venables was reviewing some of the damage from last Saturday's game against Kansas State, when a twinge of appreciation for his old boss came out...

"We come out playing really well the first quarter and a half or so. Then we went through four consecutive drives where we're not playing up to par here and there. Give credit to Kansas State. Coach Snyder has been working on some new ballplays over the last couple years."

The old codger even stole from Florida's national championship-winning playbook from last Jan. 8, completing a jump-pass for a 2-point conversion. That was ice cold.

For a guy who is 1-5 against Bob Stoops, Bill Snyder sure has been a pain in the Sooners' butt the past decade. Besides being responsible for the second-most embarrassing loss of Stoops' career (see: 2003 Big 12 championship), Snyder has made life difficult even in defeat.

Wichita Eagle columnist Bob Lutz has some telling facts: "K-State's 30 points against the Sooners on Saturday were the most given up by the Sooners this season. The 35 scored by Kansas State in the 2003 Big 12 championship were the most given up by the Sooners that season, as were the 37 scored by K-State in 2001 and the 31 the Wildcats scored in 2000."

Another way to look at Snyder's troublemaking, courtesy of Mr. Lutz: Texas has averaged 22 points against the Stoops-coached Sooners. Texas Tech, with that wizard Mike Leach at the helm, has averaged 21.

K-State has averaged 30.

-- Guerin Emig

I truly believe that when K-State lined up to go for two the second time but had the penalty and wound up kicking the PAT, the statue of liberty was coming!

AzianSooner
11/3/2009, 11:43 PM
Snyder with less talent can exploit Sooners' defense. Team with more talent and little homework done can beat OU easy.

Something needs to fix there in the strategy of big game. Could it be.. a better game plan?

picasso
11/3/2009, 11:50 PM
How many times has Snyder had less talent than Stoops ? Maybe, EVERYTIME ? Hmmmm... The guy is coaching at kansas state "KANSAS STATE" not OU or Texas or USC or Florida..

They were loaded in 2000 and 2001. I still think their 2000 squad was the 2nd best team in the country.

yermom
11/3/2009, 11:54 PM
what about tha U?

Collier11
11/4/2009, 09:21 AM
shouldnt have lost to washington

MrJimBeam
11/4/2009, 11:19 AM
Since both Bob and Brent play/coached for Snyder it stands to reason he'd understand some tendencies. I still think last Sat. had more to do with laziness than anything else.

OUmillenium
11/4/2009, 02:14 PM
I truly believe that when K-State lined up to go for two the second time but had the penalty and wound up kicking the PAT, the statue of liberty was coming!

And it most likely would have worked

Salt City Sooner
11/4/2009, 02:46 PM
The article didn't say Snyder was an OU killer - just a pain in the butt. I think that is pretty accurate given the relative talent of the squads. I just re-watched Saturday's game and had to marvel at the KR. The whole return team started out slanting to the right (as viewed by Banks) and then on queue, all slanted to the left and Banks hit a big seam. I've never seen a KR so well coreographed. It's usually a loosely coordinated effort with individuals adjusting to the guy in front of them and any gaps form by chance. I also can't help but like a guy who is 150lbs with arms that look like toothpicks more than holding his own against the big boys.
King-sized blocks in the back (go back & watch Franks go flying by, it ain't by his own accord) tend to create those.