PDA

View Full Version : More from Leach

badger
11/2/2009, 04:04 PM
Just did a chat on ESPN with Mike Leach. Here's a link (http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/29208). Here's a quote:

Red Raider fans are the best. Have kids and convert others.

Not really about OU, but still fun from one of our favorite former assistants.

Statalyzer
11/2/2009, 05:46 PM
Pretty much everyone in the Big XII outside of Texas A&M thinks Leach is hilarious. I hope Tech keeps him around for a long time.

I also think it's silly how he gets criticized for not being able to beat OU and UT on the road when only 3 of the other 10 teams in the Big XII have even a single win in Austin or Norman against Brown/Stoops, and 0 of 10 have won in both places.

Oldnslo
11/2/2009, 06:09 PM
I wish Leach nothing but success 51 weeks out of the year. Great guy; I wish we still had him calling plays and designing our offense.

texas bandman
11/2/2009, 07:18 PM
Living in Lubbock, I get to hear lots from Leach...he is ****ing hilarious!

picasso
11/2/2009, 07:31 PM
Some of the so-called experts proclaim that you can't beat a good defense with his style all the while forgetting we won a national title in 2000 with it.

Leach also doesn't get enough credit for changing the landscape of this conference.
How many teams in the Big 12 were running the spread when he arrived in Norman with Stoops?

soonerinabilene
11/2/2009, 07:43 PM
Some of the so-called experts proclaim that you can't beat a good defense with his style all the while forgetting we won a national title in 2000 with it.

Leach also doesn't get enough credit for changing the landscape of this conference.
How many teams in the Big 12 were running the spread when he arrived in Norman with Stoops?

to be honest, i dont think our offense in 2000 resembles techs current offense. maybe 99 did, but mangino changed quite a bit of it when he took over.

SbOrOiNaEnR
11/2/2009, 07:45 PM
Q: How would adjust your system if you coached in the NFL?

A: I wouldn't really adjust the system. I would try to draft players around our scheme.

What a concept! Seems about the only team in the NFL that actually understands this is the Miami Dolphins.

picasso
11/2/2009, 10:24 PM
but mangino changed quite a bit of it when he took over.

Not really. Go back and watch the tapes.

soonerinabilene
11/2/2009, 10:33 PM
Not really. Go back and watch the tapes.

he kept the end arounds that started with motion, which i dont understand why bob doesnt suggest to wilson to do that with broyles and miller. norman and fagan were fantastic with it, imagine what these two athletes could do. but mangino ran the ball more, passed from under center more, didnt make heupel throw 60 times a game, and the one play that sticks out the most- no way leach had an option play in his playbook like we used on 4th down in the big 12 championship. i think mangino took leachs offense, and balanced it so it would be more effective against better defenses.

picasso
11/2/2009, 10:50 PM
he kept the end arounds that started with motion, which i dont understand why bob doesnt suggest to wilson to do that with broyles and miller. norman and fagan were fantastic with it, imagine what these two athletes could do. but mangino ran the ball more, passed from under center more, didnt make heupel throw 60 times a game, and the one play that sticks out the most- no way leach had an option play in his playbook like we used on 4th down in the big 12 championship. i think mangino took leachs offense, and balanced it so it would be more effective against better defenses.

c'mon man, we ran that option once or twice the entire year. Mangino may have added a few wrinkles but make no mistake that was Leach's offense.

I think you're missing the point that he didn't deviate much from what Leach brought to OU and eventually influenced the entire league.

KRYPTON
11/3/2009, 09:47 AM
The one time we scored a TD in the NC game, it was one of Leach's... well, it's was Leach's ONLY running play out of his playbook.

Yeah, we had that option and such, but in the end, Q got loose because we were playing straight Leachball and FSU couldn't bring themselves to respect the draw play. The draw was a great call especially because it set up a really nice SI cover photo...

OUmillenium
11/3/2009, 10:50 AM

Really missed this from 2003- till now. Have actually seen a few more reverses this year so am encouraged. Not that you have to gain huge plays evertime, but I love the play because I have seen it be successful so often and at worse it tends to be a no gain or minimal loss.

cjames317
11/3/2009, 01:41 PM

Is this of what you speak?

http://smartfootball.com/

Scroll down to "Flashback: Oklahoma v. Nebraska" and the kind words for Josh and OUr "jet sweep".