PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Is Probably The Best Team In The Country Right Now

FaninAma
11/2/2009, 11:43 AM
but will not get a chance to play for the title thanks to their willingness to play a tough OOC game.

Meanwhile in Austin, Texas milks all they can from their one game schedule.

badger
11/2/2009, 11:57 AM
Fine. Let's have a playoff. Use the NFL format where there's six teams and the top two get a bye. Use the five games in the BCS (including that title game, or simply include one of the other many bowl games in the format, like the Cotton) to get to the title.

First round:
6 faces 3 in the Cotton.
5 faces 4 in the Orange.

Second round:
1 faces the winner of the lowest-ranked team left in the Fiesta.
2 faces the winner of the highest-ranked team left (not including No. 1, silly) in the Sugar.

Championship game:
The winners of both second round games face off in the Rose.

Or... something like that. The rounds can rotate, much like the Plus-One game has rotated.

This only adds one week to the schedule. It would end a lot of ESPN b!tching... and then start more ESPN b!tching for the No. 7 team left out, much like Dickie V complains about the No. 66 and No. 67 teams relegated to the NIT in March.

PDXsooner
11/2/2009, 12:08 PM
oh please. oregon is playing well, but the way boise state bent them over six ways till friday was flat-out embarassing. if i had a dollar for every team that would love a chance to avenge an earlier loss, i'd be a rich man.

never underestimate oregon's ability to choke when the pressure's on. they'll probably lose on the road at arizona, or somehow lose at home to the beavers.

NormanPride
11/2/2009, 12:12 PM
The problem I've heard with every playoff scenario is that the bowls hate that their games are made less meaningful. But this is solved using the NFL's format where all but the championship game are played at the lower seed's home field.

The issue then is that losing teams do not go to a bowl game. This is solved by reserving bowls for the losing teams. For example, say Texas and Iowa play in Austin. Texas loses of course, and is sent to the Orange Bowl to play Florida, who lost to Oregon. This way, everyone gets their bowl game, and the best teams get to play for the RNC (Real Nationial Championship).

Add this to the pile of playoff formulas out there.

BoulderSooner79
Yep, UO would have to lose 3 of the last 4 in order for 'SC to get back in the conference race and yet I still feel uneasy about it. UO has a tough remaining schedule.

Sooner04
Wouldn't the best team in America be the team that beat the dog out of the team you called the best team in America?

mehip
11/2/2009, 12:20 PM
Why are they the best? Because they beat a depleted SC that has beat no one of matter and is living on reputation alone?

That SC team lost a lot of talent to draft and graduation but, like OU prior to the BYU game the sunshine brigade has gone on and on how they [SC] wouldn't skip a beat. With the LBs they lost in last years draft they handle the Oregon team.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/2/2009, 12:29 PM
Why are they the best? Because they beat a depleted SC that has beat no one of matter and is living on reputation alone?

That SC team lost a lot of talent to draft and graduation but, like OU prior to the BYU game the sunshine brigade has gone on and on how they [SC] wouldn't skip a beat. With the LBs they lost in last years draft they handle the Oregon team.FIGHT ON, TUSKERS?

Bourbon St Sooner
11/2/2009, 12:33 PM
Wouldn't the best team in America be the team that beat the dog out of the team you called the best team in America?

Indeed, since both Boise and texass have a one game schedule, why aren't people giving more credence to the team that won easier against a better team in that one game schedule. Actually, of all the contenders, Iowa has the best win against Penn State on the road.

badger
11/2/2009, 12:40 PM
I really am still in a bit of disbelief (or perhaps that is the cold medicine acting funny) over what happened Saturday in Eugene. I watched the UO-Boise game earlier this season and saw a crappy quarterback and a punchy running back get spanked!

Now, they beat up on mighty SC like the Trojans are actually part of the Pac 10? Unbelieveable!

I don't think Oregon is the best team in the country this season, but they are the best team right now. They replaced their punchy, suspended (remorseful?) running back with a freshman stud and now they're money. If Phil Knight was smart, he'd be pimping his Oregon QB for the Heisman right now in this off-year.

Collier11
11/2/2009, 12:41 PM
Id say Iowa would lose to any of bama, florida, texas or oregon by 10 or more. I think Oregon is playing the best right now, I still think Bama is the best team this year

Jello Biafra
11/2/2009, 12:44 PM
yeh..itll be our luck, we'll have to face them in a bowl game this year as the big xii number 4 and them being the pac 10 number 2 or some other crazy sheitte.

BoulderSooner79
11/2/2009, 12:46 PM
I really am still in a bit of disbelief (or perhaps that is the cold medicine acting funny) over what happened Saturday in Eugene. I watched the UO-Boise game earlier this season and saw a crappy quarterback and a punchy running back get spanked!

Now, they beat up on mighty SC like the Trojans are actually part of the Pac 10? Unbelieveable!

I don't think Oregon is the best team in the country this season, but they are the best team right now. They replaced their punchy, suspended (remorseful?) running back with a freshman stud and now they're money. If Phil Knight was smart, he'd be pimping his Oregon QB for the Heisman right now in this off-year.

Good point about their suspended RB, Badj. And from what I've read they may let him play again starting Saturday. Watch their season turn to sh*t.

Collier11
11/2/2009, 12:47 PM
If Phil Knight was smart, he'd be pimping his Oregon QB for the Heisman right now in this off-year.

The RB YES, the qb ummm, NO!

badger
11/2/2009, 12:52 PM
The RB YES, the qb ummm, NO!

Their QB was scrambling around for first downs like he was next Vince Young or something. He had an outstanding game.

Also... on a sidenote, ENOUGH with the "next Vince Young" talk everytime a team starts an up-and-coming black quarterback who scrambles. I totally heard that yesterday before the Baylor-Nebbish game. We've heard it before about the Baylor guy who's injured. It was all the rage around Stillwater before Bobby Reid got fed chicken by his momma.

NO MORE "NEXT VINCE YOUNG" crap :mad:

...and yes, I realize that I used it myself in referring to the UO guy, so please don't point that out.

Jello Biafra
11/2/2009, 12:58 PM
that aint true...[hairGel] he's havvian

11/2/2009, 01:02 PM
If Phil Knight was smart, he'd be pimping his Oregon QB for the Heisman right now in this off-year.I would vote for that kid, right now. He faked the usuc team right outa their athletic supporters! He can run like a quality RB, and might be the best faking QB I've ever seen, at any level!

FaninAma
11/2/2009, 01:44 PM
oh please. oregon is playing well, but the way boise state bent them over six ways till friday was flat-out embarassing. if i had a dollar for every team that would love a chance to avenge an earlier loss, i'd be a rich man.

never underestimate oregon's ability to choke when the pressure's on. they'll probably lose on the road at arizona, or somehow lose at home to the beavers.

So you agree that the current BCS minimizes and trivializes the regular season. I agree wholeheartedly.

Oregon goes to Boise State in the season opener, the team with the 2nd best home winning record behind OU, and lays an egg. So their season is finished as far as any chance for the national title.

Meanwhile, UT has an OOC resume packed full of Weak Sisters of The Blind and essentially has a one game schedule against a team with any top 20 talent not to mention that that one team is without their All-world QB and TE. Their best win will be against that same 3 loss team on a neutral field.

I understand why OU fans hate Oregon but right now I think they would be the Vegas favorite against any team in the nation on a neutral field.

And BTW I am a huge Hawkeye fan for the remainder of the season. I want to see the controversy of UT getting in the BCS title game against an undefeated Iowa team that has more quality wins on their resume.

FaninAma
11/2/2009, 01:49 PM

Hence the qualifier "Right Now".

badger
11/2/2009, 01:58 PM
Oregon versus Iowa in the Rose Bowl for teh win. They'll finally have a good Rose Bowl game for once instead of SC beating up on the hapless, helpless Big 10.

I would like to see TCU vs. Boise State in the "We deserve this more than the auto bidders" bowl... which can be a BCS bowl, I don't care.

That leave an auto bid for the Big East (undefeated Cincy), an auto bid for the ACC (ummm... Ga Tech I guess?) and the Big 12 and SEC can fill out the rest of the bowls somehow, some way. The Big 12 really needed OSU to win on Saturday. Now, there really isn't a second team to pimp for the at-large BCS berth this year. Too bad.

Collier11
11/2/2009, 02:13 PM
Oregon would tub-thump iowa

TexasLidig8r
11/2/2009, 02:41 PM
So you agree that the current BCS minimizes and trivializes the regular season. I agree wholeheartedly.

Oregon goes to Boise State in the season opener, the team with the 2nd best home winning record behind OU, and lays an egg. So their season is finished as far as any chance for the national title.

Meanwhile, UT has an OOC resume packed full of Weak Sisters of The Blind and essentially has a one game schedule against a team with any top 20 talent not to mention that that one team is without their All-world QB and TE. Their best win will be against that same 3 loss team on a neutral field.

I understand why OU fans hate Oregon but right now I think they would be the Vegas favorite against any team in the nation on a neutral field.

And BTW I am a huge Hawkeye fan for the remainder of the season. I want to see the controversy of UT getting in the BCS title game against an undefeated Iowa team that has more quality wins on their resume.

What a load of crap. Your blind hatred for any and all things University of Texas related prevents you from looking objectively at the current situation.

Your blather about OOC schedules...let's see how they look at the end of the year. Because right now.. yours isn't looking all that hot either.. There's Idaho...State... D2.. blah... there's Tulsa who had their asses handed to them by SMU.. SMU!!! There's BYU who had their asses handed to them by a mediocre AT BEST Florida State team.. at home.. and then were pummeled by TCU... again. .at home. Your Miami loss looks even less impressive as they lost to an increasingly mediocre Va Tech team.. and they should have lost to Wake.

Here's a newsflash.... start the season like it means something.. because it does. Don't come out and have your asses handed to you by a non-BCS conference team!

As for Iowa vs. Texas.. you are one of the few people who are trumping up a controversy (again.. Hate Texas much nuevo GDC?). The Big 10/11 is stronger than the Big XII? Yeah right... Mighty Northwestern. .and Illinois.. and Indiana.. and Purdue.. and Minnesota.. and Michigan State and Michigan bah... The Big 10/11 is merely the old Big 8 with more television sets.

Collier11
11/2/2009, 02:47 PM
No one is saying we are playing top 10 teams Lid, proof is in the pudding though. BYU and Miami both have 6 wins already, Tulsa is still a bowl team while you guys have played mighty...?

FaninAma
11/2/2009, 02:56 PM
What a load of crap. Your blind hatred for any and all things University of Texas related prevents you from looking objectively at the current situation.

Your blather about OOC schedules...let's see how they look at the end of the year. Because right now.. yours isn't looking all that hot either.. There's Idaho...State... D2.. blah... there's Tulsa who had their asses handed to them by SMU.. SMU!!! There's BYU who had their asses handed to them by a mediocre AT BEST Florida State team.. at home.. and then were pummeled by TCU... again. .at home. Your Miami loss looks even less impressive as they lost to an increasingly mediocre Va Tech team.. and they should have lost to Wake.

Here's a newsflash.... start the season like it means something.. because it does. Don't come out and have your asses handed to you by a non-BCS conference team!

As for Iowa vs. Texas.. you are one of the few people who are trumping up a controversy (again.. Hate Texas much nuevo GDC?). The Big 10/11 is stronger than the Big XII? Yeah right... Mighty Northwestern. .and Illinois.. and Indiana.. and Purdue.. and Minnesota.. and Michigan State and Michigan bah... The Big 10/11 is merely the old Big 8 with more television sets.

The truth of the matter is I think UT is a fine academic University but you are a perfect example of why I and other Sooner fans (and most other fans of other programs that have the misfortune of coming into contact with Texas fans) think UT fans are major ****** rockets.

As a result of the perception that you dilwids are insufferable I do dislike the place that breeds this type of attitude more than just a little bit. I have started to feel that it is a combination of genetics and environment.

I can admit the deep dislike I have for UT fans but can you admit the deep insecurity you have that causes you to care whether I dislike UT fans or not while I am expressing that dislike on a Sooner football message board no less.

You are a deeply, deeply insecure person Lid if you are suprised that somebody on a Sooner board would dislike UT and their fans.. I hope somebody gives you a great big hug today.

But feel free to continue to respond to each and every post I make about UT. It really just drives home my points about UT fans in general and you in particular.

Scott D
11/2/2009, 02:57 PM
Cowherd made a good point earlier, and Todd Blackledge furthered it by suggesting that based on watching Iowa and the SEC, that the risk isn't necessarily worth the reward for scheduling tougher in OOC.

Blackledge's counter to that is that a team should schedule one tough OOC game and 3 "cupcakes" to keep people healthy for conference play.

FaninAma
11/2/2009, 03:19 PM
Cowherd made a good point earlier, and Todd Blackledge furthered it by suggesting that based on watching Iowa and the SEC, that the risk isn't necessarily worth the reward for scheduling tougher in OOC.

Blackledge's counter to that is that a team should schedule one tough OOC game and 3 "cupcakes" to keep people healthy for conference play.

Or in Texas' case schedule 4 cupcakes and play your toughest game of the year on a neutral field THEN whine like little beyotches when the BCS poll punishes you for it.

Collier11
11/2/2009, 03:22 PM
LID will have some BS retort to that ^ but deep down, we all know its the truth

badger
11/2/2009, 03:32 PM
Iowa at least had Iowa State on their schedule. Mock them all you want as they're one of the worst football programs in our conference, but the Cyclones have five wins so far this year, including a WTF win at Lincoln.

Laugh at Bammer's scheduling of North Texas and FIU, but they opened the season at a neutral site versus Virginia Tech.

Giggle at Cincy's Southeastern Missouri State, but they also had Oregon State, which regularly embarrasses Pac 10 pwner USC.

Shake your head at TCU's Texas State scheduling, but stare in awe at Virginia and Clemson on their schedule.

Say that Boise State is part of the WAC, but you are probably quite aware that they've already handed Oregon its duck arse on national television earlier this season.

Point at Florida's Charleston Southern, but at least they have Florida State on their schedule later on.

Texas has NOT ONE BCS auto qualifier conference team on their non-conference schedule. Out of all of the undefeateds left in college football's top division, Texas is one that LEAST belongs in the title talk on their non-conference scheduling alone.

TexasLidig8r
11/2/2009, 04:01 PM
Texas has NOT ONE BCS auto qualifier conference team on their non-conference schedule. Out of all of the undefeateds left in college football's top division, Texas is one that LEAST belongs in the title talk on their non-conference scheduling alone.

How about the fact that we had both Utah and Arkansas on the schedule for this year.. and both bagged out on us?.. Hell.. Arkansas bagged out just last year so that they could play aggy instead at the Deathstar.

And.. attempts to schedule Wisconsin were not successful when they were unwilling to move an out of conference game in Sept to come to Austin this past September.

But.. don't let facts get in the way of a good, group think on here... :rolleyes:

Let me know when another undefeated team holds a rival to MINUS 16 YARDS RUSHING!

And fortunately for everyone, a place in the MNC is determined by a hell of a lot more than non-conference games.. things like.. oh. wins comes to mind. .and shut down defenses... and a team that leads the nation in scoring..

Hell, you people whined in 2005 about how Texas won the conference because the conference was "down." :rolleyes:

I remember a time when you people used to have a team that played hard. .and when you won, you took it in stride and when you lot,... you didn't come up with excuse after excuse after excuse.. you could admit you just got beat and looked to improve intead of melting down and looking to replace your coordinators and head coach.

Then again.. didn't you USED to be.. Oklahoma?

Collier11
11/2/2009, 04:11 PM
Nice attempt at being Skull, unfortunately you fell far short. Im sure there was someone that coulda taken the place of arky and utah, someone other than the load of crap you guys scheduled.

And you can call it what you want but if you guys had lost Mccoy for the season, Shipley for the season, or anything similiar, would you still call it an excuse when you got beat? Those are facts, yea we still have a team and a pretty good one considering our 3 losses are by 5 pts to 3 ranked team, but those losses hurt this team pretty big time.

badger
11/2/2009, 04:24 PM
How about the fact that we had both Utah and Arkansas on the schedule for this year.. and both bagged out on us?.. Hell.. Arkansas bagged out just last year so that they could play aggy instead at the Deathstar.

And.. attempts to schedule Wisconsin were not successful when they were unwilling to move an out of conference game in Sept to come to Austin this past September.

But.. don't let facts get in the way of a good, group think on here... :rolleyes:
You guys were bagging on us back when we had the same problem in the past... but don't let history get in the way of a good present. The fact of the matter is that you had a dirt-easy non-conference schedule and they are letting you off the hook for it.

Collier11
11/2/2009, 04:31 PM
just dont whine if you get nudged out by TCU, lol

Jello Biafra
11/2/2009, 04:33 PM
Let me know when another undefeated team holds a rival to MINUS 16 YARDS RUSHING!

well now. theres an open invitation to ignore anything you have to say until next october.

hide and watch. when you guys lose that homosechshal that is currently under center, you guys will be lucky to see -16 yards rushing against us.

texas O - ponyboy - shipley - 3 lineman + current runningbacks / sophmore QB = tha suck.

TXBOOMER
11/2/2009, 04:37 PM
F Em All!
Jimmy crack corn and I don't care,
OU has 3 losses and I don't care.

JLEW1818
11/2/2009, 04:39 PM
**** bitches

TexasLidig8r
11/2/2009, 04:50 PM
Nice attempt at being Skull, unfortunately you fell far short. Im sure there was someone that coulda taken the place of arky and utah, someone other than the load of crap you guys scheduled.

And you can call it what you want but if you guys had lost Mccoy for the season, Shipley for the season, or anything similiar, would you still call it an excuse when you got beat? Those are facts, yea we still have a team and a pretty good one considering our 3 losses are by 5 pts to 3 ranked team, but those losses hurt this team pretty big time.

Who said you did NOT have a good team?

You clearly have the second best team in the Big XII... and a team that is and should be in the Top 15. I thought you would have 3 losses the year because you lost pretty much your entire offensive line and wide receivers.

As for scheduling, why in the blue hell would you schedule a number of difficult non-conference teams? Isn't the goal to win the MNC? Keeping your players healthy and getting them in game mode while attempting to lessen the likelihood of injury is key. Yes, I believe you should schedule at least a midrange team from a BCS conference in the OOC and our future schedules reflect that.

As for Arkansas.. they bagged out on us in I believe... February or March of 2009... leaving damned few months to find a replacement.

If we lost Colt and Shipley, would I be making up excuses? Admittedly a lot of Texas fans would... To me, it's football and injuries are part of the game. Last year, we lost our tight end.. Blaine Irby in the Rice game.. we ended up changing the offense and went with the 4 wide spread as a result.

Injuries... good play and blind luck are all needed to win the whole thing.

TXBOOMER
11/2/2009, 04:59 PM
The point of scheduling strong teams is to beat them and edge other strong teams out in the polls. When your Heisman Trophy winner and your biggest Offensive threat goes down it might backfire. It backfired. I'm sure texass would have beat us and still won the MNC is VY would have went down in the first half of the first game of the year.

beer4me
11/2/2009, 05:08 PM

Yep couple of real powerhouse's there Lid.

The SWC is long dead Arkansas is in complete meltdown. To many mommas and daddy's involved down there.

You should find sumptn else to hang your hat on.

Collier11
11/2/2009, 05:11 PM
Losing Blaine irby and Colt mccoy is a whole lot different. Replacing Sam with a Freshman( a damn good one but still a fresh) behind an inexperienced O-line was a recipe for disaster. Our offense is starting to gel now and if there was a playoff OU would be one of the most dangerous teams, unfortunately we are out of it

Statalyzer
11/2/2009, 05:20 PM
I find it funny how many people are making excuse for Oregon because their loss to Boise State was early - it was early for Boise State too. Plus, none of them are giving Utah that same "it was early" excuse for losing to Oregon.

The whole "playoffs making the regular season less meaningful" argument is being exposed this year as Iowa, Cincinnati, Boise State, and TCU are all playing meaningless regular season games for the rest of the year unless Texas loses, or Alabama and Florida both lose.

As a Texas fan, it's a nice position to be in, but honestly any of those schools would deserve a fair chance to play Texas or the SEC winner if all three win out. I'd much rather win a true championship on the field than finish a top a figure-skating-style contest and be polled into a title.

The problem I've heard with every playoff scenario is that the bowls hate that their games are made less meaningful.

But they aren't.

Any bowls hosting a playoff game become more meaningful.

Any bowls not hosting a playoff game are hosting the EXACT SAME MEANINGLESS EXHIBITIONS that they have always been hosting.

soonermix
11/2/2009, 05:29 PM
how much fun would this be to watch (at least in terms of the AQ vs non-AQ conferences)

Rose: Oregon vs TCU
Fiesta: Iowa vs Boise St.
Sugar: Bama vs Cincy
Orange: Ga Tech vs anybody i don't care

then watch this happen: tcu beats oregon like boise beat them earlier in the year
boise beats iowa because of the long layoff between bowls and the end of big televen season
cincy beats bama because they are pissed they lost to flawida again
then ga tech plays and nobody watches because nobody cares anymore

then texas loses by 40 to flawida in the mnc game

tell me if that would happen a playoff wouldn't be coming sooner than later

TexasLidig8r
11/2/2009, 05:52 PM
Playoffs? keep tilting at windmills.. and you know why?????

Because the Presidents and Boards of Trustees at universities in the BCS will never let it happen because the schools get too much guaranteed money from the bowl games and the system the way it is.

That nice little check goes to build libraries and brings back alumni and pays for educational grants.

You can rant and rave all you want about wanting a playoff... but.. for the foreseeable future.. it ain't gonna happen.

Besides.. don't playoffs reward the teams who are playing well at the end of the year? Look at the No Fun League last year. Was Arizona REALLY the best team in the NFC based upon their entire body of work? NO! They got hot at the end and ended up in the Super Bowl.

it is what it is.

Statalyzer
11/2/2009, 05:55 PM
"Getting hot at the end" = defeating 3 quality teams on the road in a row because they outplayed those teams in fair matchups.

If you're worried about a team winning because they just "got hot" (as if that somehow just happens instead of being a result of meaningful improvements by a team), you should want a playoff, as getting hot in 2-4 straight games is much harder than doing it in just one game.

Collier11
11/2/2009, 09:02 PM

Because the Presidents and Boards of Trustees at universities in the BCS will never let it happen because the schools get too much guaranteed money from the bowl games and the system the way it is.

That nice little check goes to build libraries and brings back alumni and pays for educational grants.

You can rant and rave all you want about wanting a playoff... but.. for the foreseeable future.. it ain't gonna happen.

Besides.. don't playoffs reward the teams who are playing well at the end of the year? Look at the No Fun League last year. Was Arizona REALLY the best team in the NFC based upon their entire body of work? NO! They got hot at the end and ended up in the Super Bowl.

it is what it is.

Why wouldnt you reward the team who is playing the best at the end of the year? Typically that team is the best team

PDXsooner
11/2/2009, 09:26 PM
how many big 12 titles does mack brown have again? someone remind me.

and how many national titles does texas have again?

ha ha ha ha ha

Leroy Lizard
11/2/2009, 10:00 PM
Any bowls hosting a playoff game become more meaningful.

But that doesn't necessarily translate to more money if the games are played on one team's home field.

Any bowls not hosting a playoff game are hosting the EXACT SAME MEANINGLESS EXHIBITIONS that they have always been hosting.

Those bowls will see revenue decline rapidly once a playoff is instituted, which is why they oppose playoff games.

You can assure them all you want, but they've done the math.

XingTheRubicon
11/2/2009, 10:46 PM
Texas has played in a higher ranked bowl (over OU) one time this decade.

Once.

...and they couldn't be more proud.

Pricetag
11/2/2009, 11:18 PM
Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs! Playoffs?

sooner94
11/2/2009, 11:28 PM
Oregon is a good team right now. But let's not give them too much credit.

They won big at home against an overrated team.

USC isn't that good. O-line isn't that good, neither is the D (look at all the guys they lost last year), and their QB is a future superstar, but he is a true freshman.

I would love a Holiday Bowl match up against them. We win by double digits.

Leroy Lizard
11/3/2009, 03:50 AM
Wow. The overconfidence has already started.

11/3/2009, 12:09 PM
Wow. The overconfidence has already started.Usuc would play like the usuc of '04 against us in a bowl this yr...

MamaMia
11/3/2009, 12:09 PM
We could beat Oregon.

Leroy Lizard
11/3/2009, 12:49 PM
Oregon would beat us like a drum. A hot team denied their shot at a title that is the country's favorite playing Oklahoma. Hmmm...

11/3/2009, 12:57 PM
We are very inconsistent on offense. Also, either very undisciplined(penalties), or the refs really do have it in for us, even in Norman. Tech in Lubbock scares me the most.

sooner94
11/3/2009, 12:58 PM
Oregon is a good team right now. But let's not give them too much credit.

They won big at home against an overrated team.

USC isn't that good. O-line isn't that good, neither is the D (look at all the guys they lost last year), and their QB is a future superstar, but he is a true freshman.

I would love a Holiday Bowl match up against them. We win by double digits.

The double-digit win comment was the Coors light talking.

Honestly, I think we can play with SUC this year. I don't think they are nearly as good as everyone thought.

I hope we get them in Holiday Bowl. Would be a good match-up. And a chance for a little revenge.

Collier11
11/3/2009, 01:16 PM
Our D would match up very well with Oregon

TXBOOMER
11/3/2009, 01:51 PM
I don't give a freaking jack turd who we play. I would like the chance to take a Notre Dame or a big 10 team to the wood shed. Won't happen but I would like a chance at it.

badger
11/3/2009, 02:11 PM
how many big 12 titles does mack brown have again? someone remind me.

and how many national titles does texas have again?

ha ha ha ha ha

Like a college basketball team in bonus, ONE and ONE.

Scott D
11/3/2009, 04:32 PM

what amazes me with this is that Jerry Jones and the Cowboys had more money than the allegedly mighty Longhorn Alumni.

GKeeper316
11/3/2009, 04:58 PM

it is what it is.

its more than that tho... theres what 116 teams in the bowl subdivision i think. just including conference champions would extend the season another 6-7 weeks, making college ball's season longer than the pros. most universities cant afford to travel thier teams that much. especially if they're going to be seeded with the higher seed playing at home. this isnt the pros, who have almost unlimited funds, and it isnt basketball or baseball. it takes a lot of resources to move a football team from point a to point b.

Collier11
11/3/2009, 05:03 PM
Way wrong...you change the regular season to 10 or 11 games, 4 playoff games at the most(that would only be for the final two games, you are playing virtually the same number of games

badger
11/3/2009, 05:30 PM
Way wrong...you change the regular season to 10 or 11 games, 4 playoff games at the most(that would only be for the final two games, you are playing virtually the same number of games

Football games are money makers for far too many programs to cut back the regular season. Think of how much they pay Division 2 programs just to show up and get killed. Think they would pay that much if they weren't getting four times as much in return in merchandise, concession and ticket sales?

Otherwise, that would work. Unfortunately, the regular season simply cannot be cut back due to dollar signs.

Collier11
11/3/2009, 05:44 PM
hell, you could still play 12 games, have a 8 team playoff, and only play 15

Scott D
11/3/2009, 06:38 PM
The only truthfully viable option would be to reduce the size of D-1A....er Bowl Subdivision to perhaps 8 conferences of at least 12 teams each.

Leroy Lizard
11/3/2009, 07:48 PM
Here we go again.

gotpoi73
11/3/2009, 08:32 PM
its more than that tho... theres what 116 teams in the bowl subdivision i think. just including conference champions would extend the season another 6-7 weeks, making college ball's season longer than the pros. most universities cant afford to travel thier teams that much. especially if they're going to be seeded with the higher seed playing at home. this isnt the pros, who have almost unlimited funds, and it isnt basketball or baseball. it takes a lot of resources to move a football team from point a to point b.

12 conference champs
4 at large bids
top 6 seeds get 1st round playoff game at home
then rotate the big bowls for the rest of the playoffs

if conference champions got into the playoffs, more schools would be inclined to schedule blockbuster non conference games early because a loss early wouldn't kill nc chances

keep the crappy bowls as they are

Leroy Lizard
11/3/2009, 09:24 PM
if conference champions got into the playoffs, more schools would be inclined to schedule blockbuster non conference games early because a loss early wouldn't kill nc chances

Which is why the games wouldn't mean much. You admit that yourself. In essence, "Go ahead and schedule it; it's no big deal if we lose."

I don't want to see the nonconference schedule turn into a bunch of preconference tuneups.

And wait until you see weaklings from minor conferences get into the playoffs with five losses. Yeah, that won't be controversial.

Collier11
11/3/2009, 09:28 PM
They dont mean much now unless you start the year in the Top 10

gotpoi73
11/3/2009, 09:34 PM
Which is why the games wouldn't mean much. You admit that yourself. In essence, "Go ahead and schedule it; it's no big deal if we lose."

I don't want to see the nonconference schedule turn into a bunch of preconference tuneups.

what is a utah state or mid tenn state game?

i love it when the sooners play huge non con games. i would just like to see all the other top ranked teams do it too

And wait until you see weaklings from minor conferences get into the playoffs with five losses. Yeah, that won't be controversial.

how many losses has the acc champ had over the last few years?

if you're not in a bcs conference or aren't highly ranked in the preseason polls the games don't mean anything anyway.

are you telling me you prefer voters deciding fates as opposed to deciding it on the field?

i say let them play, but thats just me

Leroy Lizard
11/4/2009, 02:06 AM
how many losses has the acc champ had over the last few years?

Not sure. How is this relevant?

if you're not in a bcs conference or aren't highly ranked in the preseason polls the games don't mean anything anyway.

But with your playoff system, none of them will mean anything, even those featuring the big boys.

So Ohio St. loses to USC. So what? In terms of playing for the national title, the game means almost nothing with your playoff system. The only real games that matter are the conference games.

And I fully disagree with you that the powerhouses will schedule more tough games out of conference. Since the real season only begins once conference play begins, why take chances on injuring your players playing tough competition? More likely the OOC games will look much like they do now, with one good team, one mediocre team, and two patsies.

are you telling me you prefer voters deciding fates as opposed to deciding it on the field?

Until you can come up with a proposal that doesn't ruin college football, absolutely. Besides, the voters make the college football season more interesting. With the voting, I have to really care if USC beats Arizona. But with your system, I just focus on my team and its conference play. I love the controversy.

Funky G
11/4/2009, 02:11 AM

Texas schedule is weaker than OU's:

OU: BYU, Miami, Tulsa, Idaho St. - three bowl teams
Texas: UTEP, Rice, UCF, Wyoming - zero bowl teams

What was your point?

Funky G
11/4/2009, 02:13 AM

The old Big 8 saved Texas football via the Big 12. Texas football was dead due to other schools raiding the state for talent as the SWC was dead, dead, dead, and kids wanted to play where it meant something. By forming the Big 12, the kids believed they would be in a power conference with Nebraska and OU.

TexasLidig8r
11/4/2009, 09:29 AM
The Big XII conference rejuvenated Texas football via the Big 12. Texas football was LANGUISHING due to other schools raiding the state for talent as the SWC was dead, dead, dead, and kids wanted to play where it meant something. By forming the Big 12, the kids believed they would be in a power conference with Nebraska and OU.

There is no doubt the formation of the Big XII rejuvenated Texas football.

At the same time, the Big 8 would have soon followed the SWC. Why? Not enough television sets. Fewer television sets means fewer consumers of corporate products, which means fewer corporate sponsors, which means less television revenue which means crappier television contracts and fewer monies coming into the universities.

Texas was able to bring major markets Dallas and Houston, and mid markets like Austin and San Antonio into the mix. In addition, the hundreds of thousands of Texas alums nationwide (read, consumers) were brought into the mix as well. That is why talks with the Big 10 and Pac 10 conferences also occurred.

Jello Biafra
11/4/2009, 09:43 AM
There is no doubt the formation of the Big XII rejuvenated Texas football.

At the same time, the Big 8 would have soon followed the SWC. Why? Not enough television sets. Fewer television sets means fewer consumers of corporate products, which means fewer corporate sponsors, which means less television revenue which means crappier television contracts and fewer monies coming into the universities.

Texas was able to bring major markets Dallas and Houston, and mid markets like Austin and San Antonio into the mix. In addition, the hundreds of thousands of Texas alums nationwide (read, consumers) were brought into the mix as well. That is why talks with the Big 10 and Pac 10 conferences also occurred.

well, to use some of your peeps arguments...there are far many more things to do in any town in texas on a saturday than oklahoma or nebraska so....many more people sitting on their asses either in the stadium or at the television set instead of out practicing your dive bombing skills while nekkid hang gliding over 6th street. or... having sechsual relations with road kill in college station after a night of downing multiple bottles of cough syrup.

the big 8 would have been fine. OU and nebraska alone would have been able to carry the conference. believe it or not, both OU and nebraska have hundreds of thousands of graduates too...

FaninAma
11/4/2009, 09:53 AM
well, to use some of your peeps arguments...there are far many more things to do in any town in texas on a saturday than oklahoma or nebraska so....many more people sitting on their asses either in the stadium or at the television set instead of out practicing your dive bombing skills while nekkid hang gliding over 6th street. or... having sechsual relations with road kill in college station after a night of downing multiple bottles of cough syrup.

the big 8 would have been fine. OU and nebraska alone would have been able to carry the conference. believe it or not, both OU and nebraska have hundreds of thousands of graduates too...

Please don't try to convince Lid that every living soul in Texas isn't a whorn fan. That's sacrilege, son!

I suspect if the Big 8 had gone the way of the dodo bird(the SWC) OU would have moved to the SEC and Nebraska to the Big 10. They would have continued to play each other every year. With any luck Texas would have been in the Pac 10 and they could have tried to throw their weight around with the likes of SUC, UCLA and the other Pac 10 schools.

I doubt Texas will ever voluntarily go to another conference where they can't dominate the league office politically. They just don't function that way. But oops, there goes my blind hatred for UT getting the best of me again.