PDA

View Full Version : Head-to-Head no longer important?

SoonerFaninAZ
11/2/2009, 10:59 AM
While Boise State still leads Oregon in all the polls, the gap has closed and will disappear if Oregon wins out. The Ducks are already ahead in the computers and obviously will maintain that lead if they do not lose.

Out here in Pac-10 country, many of the talking heads and fans are saying, "Well, that was an early game," or "It's obvious Boise isn't as strong as Oregon," or "the computers are a better gauge because of the lack of bias."

Some of the very same people who were screaming, "Head-to-head...settled on the field!" last season.

What makes it even more interesting is that last season, those folks were ignoring the fact that Texas Tech was also in the picture. Nothing of the sort this season.

It's funny how big a "travesty" something is, until that same travesty benefits your team.

I know a lot of stuff that isn't likely to happen, would have to happen, but I would love to hear what Texas would have to say about playing Oregon in the BCS Championship with an undefeated Boise State sitting nearby.

Jello Biafra
11/2/2009, 11:03 AM
1...BSU would be at least a 2 loss team in the BIG XII
2...it has no bearing on our season so screw em all
3...texas will get drove like a new school bus no matter who they play in the bcs title game

BoulderSooner79
11/2/2009, 11:09 AM
1...BSU would be at least a 2 loss team in the BIG XII
2...it has no bearing on our season so screw em all
3...texas will get drove like a new school bus no matter who they play in the bcs title game

I agree and 1 & 2. But I don't understand point 3. Maybe I'm just wearing crimson shades, but I thought our effort against the horns was outstanding given the circumstances and that they will breeze into the title game now that they have gotten by us. Once there, I see them holding their own against any team I've seen just based on their defense.

rawlingsHOH
11/2/2009, 11:22 AM
A. it was at Boise
B. Boise plays NOBODY, and often turns down road opportunities against legitimate schools

MI Sooner
11/2/2009, 01:03 PM
Boise played Oregon, and rolled them. That's one more good team than Texas plays this year, unless you count us, which I don't (yet).

TXHornsFan
11/2/2009, 01:30 PM
I know a lot of stuff that isn't likely to happen, would have to happen, but I would love to hear what Texas would have to say about playing Oregon in the BCS Championship with an undefeated Boise State sitting nearby.

I can't speak for the whole state, but I think Boise should stay ahead of Oregon as long as they continue to win. Yes, the Boise-Oregon game was early, but it still counts. The entire season means something. Yes, Oregon rolled USC, but they still lost to Boise.

TXHornsFan
11/2/2009, 01:34 PM
Maybe I'm just wearing crimson shades, but I thought our effort against the horns was outstanding given the circumstances and that they will breeze into the title game now that they have gotten by us. Once there, I see them holding their own against any team I've seen just based on their defense.

BS79 - I agree. OU's defensive effort against the Horns was truly outstanding. WHile I was hoping for a decisive TX win, OU's defense alone kept that from happening. And I also agree that TX's defense gives them a chance against anyone.

Jello Biafra
11/2/2009, 02:08 PM
OU's defense alone kept that from happening. And I also agree that TX's defense gives them a chance against anyone.

as long as you have the defense AND the refs, you CAN beat anyone in the land. without, not so much.

Statalyzer
11/2/2009, 05:44 PM
[quote]I can't speak for the whole state, but I think Boise should stay ahead of Oregon as long as they continue to win. Yes, the Boise-Oregon game was early, but it still counts.[/qute]

Exactly. The season starts in September, not October.

pappy
11/2/2009, 06:18 PM
if boise state remains undefeated they deserve to be in over oregon simply because they beat oregon this year. That said I don't think either of those 2 play for the mnc this year. It will be * vs florida/alabama

badger
11/2/2009, 06:32 PM
If head-to-head was everything we wouldn't have been playing in the nat'l title game last year.

The fact of the matter is that nobody believes the WAC to be a legit conference and faults Boise for not seeking out tougher competition.

Some teams get faulted for not seeking tough non-conference opponents. Boise's getting faulted for not seeking tough in-conference opponents.

Just the way it is.

NormanPride
11/2/2009, 06:42 PM
I don't remember Boise rolling anyone that day. Oregon looked awful, yes, but Boise just looked slightly less awful.

badger
11/2/2009, 06:48 PM
My wonderful loving husband brings up a good point. The final score of Oregon-BS was 19-8. I know that certain fanbases out there like to make big deals about double-digit victories when it comes time for BCS discussions, but this was no massacre.