PDA

View Full Version : Remember our friend Mr Spikes?

Blitzkrieg
11/2/2009, 09:50 AM
"OU is the dirtiest team" Mr Spikes?

HMMMMMM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDOy-RMIpF0)

sooneron
11/2/2009, 09:57 AM
Seriously, after crap like that, I hope someone Cobra Kai-s his *** and sweeps the knee. Payback is a bitch.

badger
11/2/2009, 09:58 AM
That warrants a suspension.

OU4LIFE
11/2/2009, 09:58 AM
doosh move.

Should be gone. Perm.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/2/2009, 10:07 AM
Wow I seriously hope Urban Meyer/ the SEC/ the NCAA does something about it.

goingoneight
11/2/2009, 10:10 AM
Iowa State's guy got ejected and I believe suspended for doing that to ENA in 2006.

B. Spikes to the UF Media:

"I just wanted to say I'm sorry... Gator Nation... I'm sorry. I wanted to blind a Georgia Bulldog, something no other Florida player's done before. I promise you, though... a lot of good will come of this. You'll never see a dirtier punk in all of college football pass the buck to Oklahoma as hard as I will blame them for all that's wrong in football. No one will FIGHT as cheap as I will FIGHT, and everyone else around me will take the blame. God Bless."

OUDoc
11/2/2009, 10:15 AM
What a tool.

ouwapiti
11/2/2009, 10:31 AM
being that the incident is all over youtube...you'd think somebody HAS to do something.......this is just as bad as the punch by the oregon player on the boise player imo

OUDoc
11/2/2009, 10:35 AM
Someone bring it to the attention of Florida State. They'll get it taken care of. :)

OUMallen
11/2/2009, 10:35 AM
being that the incident is all over youtube...you'd think somebody HAS to do something.......this is just as bad as the punch by the oregon player on the boise player imo

I think it's worse.

beer4me
11/2/2009, 10:36 AM
I think it's worse.

Yep

This guy will go to the NFL and be in jail before he even plays a down most likely

gaylordfan1
11/2/2009, 10:37 AM
WOW!!! I heard about this but didn't see it until now. That was sooo obvious. Would be very hard to talk your way out of the that one. "Oh coach, I heard him say his contact was falling out... I was just trying to keep it in place... with force."

JLEW1818
11/2/2009, 10:40 AM
wow what a worthless piece of ****

homerSimpsonsBrain
11/2/2009, 11:32 AM

The NCAA will get to it right after they finish up the USC investigation. It'll take priority over Mike Balogun getting reinstated.

homerSimpsonsBrain
11/2/2009, 11:32 AM
Double post weirdness

SunnySooner
11/2/2009, 11:37 AM
I HATE GATORS!!!! ALMOST AS MUCH AS WHORNS!!! SLIMY *** LIZARDS!!!!

And their fans make the Aggies look like New York sophisticates...

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q310/bigpapajt/tebow.png

SunnySooner
11/2/2009, 11:38 AM
I HATE GATORS!!!! ALMOST AS MUCH AS WHORNS!!! SLIMY *** LIZARDS!!!!

And their fans make the Aggies look like New York sophisticates...

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q310/bigpapajt/tebow.png

NorCaligator
11/2/2009, 12:45 PM
Does anyone know if Ealey said anything about this? He didn't in his post game interviews, and got out of that pile and never acted like anything happened. Seems like that would be relevant.

cjames317
11/2/2009, 12:49 PM
Spikes suspended for first half of Saturday's game against Vanderbilt: http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/

BoulderSooner79
11/2/2009, 12:54 PM
Wow, the *entire* half? Against the Vandy juggernaut? Talk about overkill.

The_Red_Patriot
11/2/2009, 12:55 PM
Florida's football program has had 35 arrests in 3 years.

Just an FYI

badger
11/2/2009, 12:57 PM
At least they're doing something. Boise State and the WAC didn't do sh!t to their sh!t talker in the infamous Oregon-BSU postgame handshaking.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/2/2009, 12:59 PM
The ruling is embarrassing for Florida. They should have just not acted on it if they didn't think it was a big deal.

JLEW1818
11/2/2009, 01:03 PM
lol yah, here is ESPNs

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4616581

bmjlr
11/2/2009, 01:04 PM
Way to take charge and set an example Meyer...oh wait, I guess you did set the example...it is ok to try and rip somebody's eyes out.

cjames317
11/2/2009, 01:05 PM
Maybe the horns and gators deserve each other for the national championship game. It'll be just like WWE.

BoulderSooner79
11/2/2009, 01:08 PM
Maybe he only gouged one eye and thus the 1/2 game suspension.

SoonerMavrick25
11/2/2009, 01:09 PM
[QUOTEUrbanMeyer=]Meyer says Spikes was retaliating after getting his eye poked earlier in the game.
QUOTE]

Guys c'mon he was just retaliating...

Urban Meyer is a JOKE... Just say it was unacceptable.

Chip Kelly>Urban Meyer

SoonerMavrick25
11/2/2009, 01:13 PM
Dangit my quote thingy didn't work... Oh well I tried.

11/2/2009, 01:23 PM
Makes Johnny Jolly's performance in Norman seem downright Pop Warner... :D

beer4me
11/2/2009, 01:36 PM
Dang a 1/2 game suspension.

Man UM is a brutal bastage.

NormanPride
11/2/2009, 01:39 PM
I've always hated Meyer. Even when he was at Utah he was a classless assclown. Holy crap that is fun to say.

The Maudfather
11/2/2009, 01:44 PM
The guy tries to gouge another player's eyes and gets a half-game suspension? Are you effing kidding me? I hope Oregon and Florida end up playing, so LaGarrett Blount can kick Brandon Spike's @ss! :D

badger
11/2/2009, 02:08 PM
The guy tries to gouge another player's eyes and gets a half-game suspension? Are you effing kidding me? I hope Oregon and Florida end up playing, so LaGarrett Blount can kick Brandon Spike's @ss! :D

Of course, if he were to do that, there wouldn't be any penalty at all, as LaGarrett is a senior and any penalty he would receive wouldn't be from college football. :D

I think Spikes is a senior too, so if he were to turn around and kick LaGarrett's arse right back in that bowl game (I assume you meant in a bowl), there'd be nothing college football could do to him either, as it would be his last game.

I also assume that you mean they will kick each other's arses after the game, not during. During the game, that would probably get them ejected... unless, of course, the officials conveniently overlook any foul play once again.

Theskipster
11/2/2009, 02:41 PM
[QUOTEUrbanMeyer=]Meyer says Spikes was retaliating after getting his eye poked earlier in the game.
QUOTE]

Guys c'mon he was just retaliating...

Urban Meyer is a JOKE... Just say it was unacceptable.

Chip Kelly>Urban Meyer

I'm really sure that Spikes was poked in the eye first. Look at this picture of Spikes during the game (#51), I don't see anything that would make me believe he is lying.

http://www.theskipster.com/images/spikes.jpg

Well, except maybe that visor he wears.

NormanPride
11/2/2009, 02:47 PM
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l56/ccliddle/oh_snap.gif

OKLA21FAN
11/2/2009, 03:01 PM
LSU freek on a roll
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/nursetpd/Florida/Eye_4n_Eye_Spike_4a_Spike.gif

badger
11/2/2009, 03:18 PM
Freek forgot their most impressive and motivational black helmet in his fark. Otherwise, he is a genius, like always. :D

OKLA21FAN
11/2/2009, 03:28 PM
care of NC Tigah
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/NC_Tigah/Florida/BSeyepoke.gif

TUSooner
11/2/2009, 03:29 PM

Urban Meyer said (I paraphase, but very closely): "If he did that, I'll have to have serious talk" with him.

GOLLLLL-LEEE! A SERIOUS TALK! :eek: I hope Urban doesn't use any cuss words! Maybe St Timmah should be the one to speak to Spikes.

It's a good thing it wasn't a felony or else he might have to take a lap at practice.

OK, I didnt see the half-game suspension deal. That's more like it! Urban don't put up with no BS! :rolleyes:

11/2/2009, 04:12 PM
cheap football... doesn't belong in this day in age. we're better than that. so is the cap key.

11/2/2009, 04:15 PM
at what time do we break out the folding chairs to the wrestler's heads and stolen chiiips... from the orphaaans.

KantoSooner
11/2/2009, 04:21 PM
I've long held to the theory that retributive justice has its place (as opposed to reformative or preventative). In this case, I suggest a simple rule change is all that's required to cure Mr. Spikes of his tendency to misbehave: Simply exempt all other players from any penalties whatsoever if they abuse Mr. Spikes.
You could have the O-Line hold him down and let your kicker run onto the field with a ten yard wind up for groin kicks and NO FLAG. Just turn him into free dog meat for the balance of the season.
Not only would it make for 'must see t.v.' but it would be instructive for the youth of America; "Lookit that Tommy. Wow. His eyes must be waterin' now. Boy, I wouldn't want to be in his shoes."

OUbasketball4life
11/2/2009, 04:28 PM
That Urban Meyer sure runs a tight ship down there. I don't see why any player would want to play for him can u believe he suspended Spikes for half a game for something so harmless?!? I can't believe this I think I'm going to send an email in protest!

soonerfan28
11/2/2009, 05:53 PM
I just heard this. I guess he should keep his mouth shut when talkin about dirty teams.

Salt City Sooner
11/2/2009, 06:28 PM
Dan Wetzel is my hero:

Eye-gouging is considered such a foul, filthy act that it’s banned by even our most blatantly combative exercises, including mixed martial arts and pro wrestling.

Sheriff Urban Meyer of the Gainesville PD isn’t as concerned, apparently.

Florida linebacker Brandon Spikes was caught on film purposefully jamming his fingers through the facemask of Georgia running back Washaun Ealey on Saturday in an effort to rip at Ealey’s eyes.

It was about as ugly and unbecoming of a play as there is in football.

For the act, Meyer will bench his star linebacker for the first half of the Gators’ game against Vanderbilt.

Repeat: one half. That penalty isn’t a joke, although the man dishing it out is acting like one.

There is almost no excuse for Spikes’ conduct. None. It was a dirty play and one with serious ramifications. There’s a reason violently poking your fingers at someone’s eye is a zero tolerance offense. The other guy can go blind. He has no ability to protect himself.

Football is an emotional, violent pursuit and acts like this happen more than the camera catches. “I don’t think that we did anything in that game that they didn’t do,” quarterback Tim Tebow told reporters.

That’s the excuse of a child though. The other-guy-does-it-too is never a justifiable defense. It wouldn’t even matter if Ealey had provoked him (the two had been jawing prior to the incident).

Spikes is the one who got caught.

Meyer ought to be man enough to know this, which is why his decision to dole out such a light punishment is more pathetic than Spikes’ original sin.

UF athletic director Jeremy Foley or SEC commissioner Mike Slive should’ve stepped in and issued a real suspension.

“I don’t condone that,” Meyer told reporters Monday of Spikes’ play.

Gee, really, you don’t condone it?

“We’re going to suspend Brandon for the first half of the Vanderbilt game,” Meyer said. “I talked to him, that’s not who he is. I love Brandon Spikes, the team does. We’re going to move on. He has our full support.”

Florida is begging for an adult to lead them. Meyer isn’t it when it comes to player conduct. He may be a heck of a football coach, great recruiter, perhaps even devout family man and charitable person.

It doesn’t change the fact this was a craven decision.

This is a sport, unfortunately, where you don’t need to run a program the right way to earn massive fame, fortune and support though. A large proportion of Gator fans wouldn’t care if Ealey’s eye had been damaged. It’s like that with every college team.

For too many fans it’s just about winning games. They’ll pretend Meyer is doing it the right way whether he is or not. They’ll justify Spikes’ act and the light penalty somehow.

Meyer and Foley know that. They know football runs the school and, as such, no one who runs the school will mess with football. So they’ll do as they wish and pretend it’s no big deal.

The fans will cheer anyway. The checks will clear regardless. Spikes may even have another 10-tackle, pick-six afternoon like he did against Georgia.

There ought to be more though. Dirty plays are dirty plays. Meyer may be correct that this act isn’t who Spikes is. Fine. No one is saying he’s a monster. Sitting him for a couple of games isn’t disproportionate punishment though.

A lesson needs to be taught. A standard should be upheld. Some discipline has to be displayed – both to those inside and outside the program.

The University of Florida should care about more than the pursuit of a glass football trophy.

This is about winning games by any means necessary, it’s about justifying and enabling out-of-control play, it’s about brushing off concerns about the safety of opposing players.

The timing is interesting that on the same day UF was giving a wrist slap for an eye gouge, Oregon was set to reinstate running back LeGarrette Blount for his sucker punch of a Boise State player and attempted charge at fans back in September.

It took less than 24 hours for Oregon to suspend Blount for the entire season back then.

“There is no place on the field of play for that kind of action, and his conduct was reprehensible,” school president Richard Lariviere said in a statement. “We do not and will not tolerate the actions that were taken by our player. Oregon’s loyal fans expect and deserve better.”

The initial punishment was too severe – you always want to allow for a player to rectify his mistake. Allowing Blount to work his way back to the team through contrition, sacrifice and action was the proper idea. In the end, the running back will have sat seven games.

It’s difficult to argue that Oregon didn’t act decisively and then properly.

Florida just acted in its best football interests. One of its team captains went after an opposing player with the dirtiest of plays.

He’ll sit out a half.

It’s all about blind ambition in Gainesville.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=AliJohw3Rss76U87DWar8t4cvrYF?slug=dw-spikes110209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

NormanPride
11/2/2009, 06:37 PM
The quote from Tebow speaks volumes about his character, IMO.

badger
11/2/2009, 06:39 PM
The SEC needs to step up and defend more than just their refs when coaches make stupid statements.

They need to defend their players too... like the ones who get their eyes poked in front a national television audience.

Time for the SEC to step in and say "Meyer suspended you for the first half. We'll suspend you for the second half. If anyone complains out of Florida, we'll fine and suspend you like we would if you complained about reffing."

freshchris05
11/2/2009, 07:11 PM
Eye-gouging is considered such a foul, filthy act that it’s banned by even our most blatantly combative exercises, including mixed martial arts and pro wrestling.

Sheriff Urban Meyer of the Gainesville PD isn’t as concerned, apparently.

Florida linebacker Brandon Spikes was caught on film purposefully jamming his fingers through the facemask of Georgia running back Washaun Ealey on Saturday in an effort to rip at Ealey’s eyes.

It was about as ugly and unbecoming of a play as there is in football.

For the act, Meyer will bench his star linebacker for the first half of the Gators’ game against Vanderbilt.

Repeat: one half. That penalty isn’t a joke, although the man dishing it out is acting like one.

There is almost no excuse for Spikes’ conduct. None. It was a dirty play and one with serious ramifications. There’s a reason violently poking your fingers at someone’s eye is a zero tolerance offense. The other guy can go blind. He has no ability to protect himself.

Football is an emotional, violent pursuit and acts like this happen more than the camera catches. “I don’t think that we did anything in that game that they didn’t do,” quarterback Tim Tebow told reporters.

That’s the excuse of a child though. The other-guy-does-it-too is never a justifiable defense. It wouldn’t even matter if Ealey had provoked him (the two had been jawing prior to the incident).

Spikes is the one who got caught.

Meyer ought to be man enough to know this, which is why his decision to dole out such a light punishment is more pathetic than Spikes’ original sin.

UF athletic director Jeremy Foley or SEC commissioner Mike Slive should’ve stepped in and issued a real suspension.

“I don’t condone that,” Meyer told reporters Monday of Spikes’ play.

Gee, really, you don’t condone it?

“We’re going to suspend Brandon for the first half of the Vanderbilt game,” Meyer said. “I talked to him, that’s not who he is. I love Brandon Spikes, the team does. We’re going to move on. He has our full support.”

Florida is begging for an adult to lead them. Meyer isn’t it when it comes to player conduct. He may be a heck of a football coach, great recruiter, perhaps even devout family man and charitable person.

It doesn’t change the fact this was a craven decision.

This is a sport, unfortunately, where you don’t need to run a program the right way to earn massive fame, fortune and support though. A large proportion of Gator fans wouldn’t care if Ealey’s eye had been damaged. It’s like that with every college team.

For too many fans it’s just about winning games. They’ll pretend Meyer is doing it the right way whether he is or not. They’ll justify Spikes’ act and the light penalty somehow.

Meyer and Foley know that. They know football runs the school and, as such, no one who runs the school will mess with football. So they’ll do as they wish and pretend it’s no big deal.

The fans will cheer anyway. The checks will clear regardless. Spikes may even have another 10-tackle, pick-six afternoon like he did against Georgia.

There ought to be more though. Dirty plays are dirty plays. Meyer may be correct that this act isn’t who Spikes is. Fine. No one is saying he’s a monster. Sitting him for a couple of games isn’t disproportionate punishment though.

A lesson needs to be taught. A standard should be upheld. Some discipline has to be displayed – both to those inside and outside the program.

The University of Florida should care about more than the pursuit of a glass football trophy.

This is about winning games by any means necessary, it’s about justifying and enabling out-of-control play, it’s about brushing off concerns about the safety of opposing players.

The timing is interesting that on the same day UF was giving a wrist slap for an eye gouge, Oregon was set to reinstate running back LeGarrette Blount for his sucker punch of a Boise State player and attempted charge at fans back in September.

It took less than 24 hours for Oregon to suspend Blount for the entire season back then.

“There is no place on the field of play for that kind of action, and his conduct was reprehensible,” school president Richard Lariviere said in a statement. “We do not and will not tolerate the actions that were taken by our player. Oregon’s loyal fans expect and deserve better.”

The initial punishment was too severe – you always want to allow for a player to rectify his mistake. Allowing Blount to work his way back to the team through contrition, sacrifice and action was the proper idea. In the end, the running back will have sat seven games.

It’s difficult to argue that Oregon didn’t act decisively and then properly.

Florida just acted in its best football interests. One of its team captains went after an opposing player with the dirtiest of plays.

He’ll sit out a half.

It’s all about blind ambition in Gainesville.

someone isn't reading up on the good book

"Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also."

Matthew 5:38-39

freshchris05
11/2/2009, 07:12 PM
but i guess circumcision is a bigger priority.

NorCaligator
11/2/2009, 07:38 PM
The picture on Spikes' wall:

http://www.chrisdetrick.com/blog/uploaded_images/BYU-Pepper-CD-01bw-767668.jpg

OUby35
11/2/2009, 07:44 PM
Do you think he'll remember how to play football after such a long suspension?

NorCaligator
11/2/2009, 07:56 PM
Do you think he'll remember how to play football after such a long suspension?

I don't know. He was off for a couple of games due to a groin injury, and look what he came back and did.

Wishboned
11/2/2009, 08:09 PM
Waaaaah!!!!! But they were doing it too!!!!!

Tebow really believes in an eye for an eye I guess.

kevpks
11/2/2009, 08:09 PM
Anyone who wants to trash those of us who are skeptical of Timmy Messiah's choir boy image should read that quote. The guy is a self-righteous hypocritical fraud.

starclassic tama
11/2/2009, 08:25 PM
what an embarassment to florida. they have now replaced miami as thug u. proof meyer will recruit any kind of swamp trash as long as it helps him win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QY-laDyAd4

he didn't get a flag for acting stupid on that play either. is tim donaghy an SEC ref?

Johnny Utah
11/2/2009, 08:30 PM
Great article. Unfortunately I used to like Meyer while he was building up the programs at Bowling Green (where I grew up) and Utah, but since he's been at Florida he's become the most arrogant coach this side of Bill Belicheck. His "mock suspension" is basically him giving the finger to the college football world and saying , "ok, you want me to do something ... 1/2 game suspension, how's that?". My wife worked with Jeremy Foley's ex-wife when we lived in the Jacksonville area, and to hear it he's not necessarily one to "man up".

NorCaligator
11/2/2009, 08:31 PM
Maybe Tim's just an old testament kind of guy:

Deuteronomy 19:21 And thine eye shall not pity; but life shall go for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.

Leviticus 24:19-20: Anyone who maims another shall suffer the same injury in return: fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth; the injury inflicted is the injury to be suffered.

Exodus 21: 23-25 If any harm follows, then you shall give life for life, 24eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, 25burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.

SunnySooner
11/2/2009, 09:19 PM
Maybe Tim's just an old testament kind of guy:

Deuteronomy 19:21 And thine eye shall not pity; but life shall go for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.

Leviticus 24:19-20: Anyone who maims another shall suffer the same injury in return: fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth; the injury inflicted is the injury to be suffered.

Exodus 21: 23-25 If any harm follows, then you shall give life for life, 24eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, 25burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.

Sorry, Tim claims to be a Christian. That means he's a follower of the teachings of Jesus Christ. Jesus isn't in the Old Testament. The quote from above is the one that applies here, two wrongs don't make a right, never have, never will. His defense of Spikes has seriously damaged his credibility as a Christian, and that's sad. He should have come out as the "incredible" team leader he purports to be and condemned the act, accepted Spikes's remorse, if he has any, but supported appropriate punishment. But I'm a firm believer in "what you sow, so shall you also reap", it's just a matter of time.

King Barry's Back
11/2/2009, 10:01 PM
Sorry, Tim claims to be a Christian. That means he's a follower of the teachings of Jesus Christ. Jesus isn't in the Old Testament. The quote from above is the one that applies here, two wrongs don't make a right, never have, never will. His defense of Spikes has seriously damaged his credibility as a Christian, and that's sad. He should have come out as the "incredible" team leader he purports to be and condemned the act, accepted Spikes's remorse, if he has any, but supported appropriate punishment. But I'm a firm believer in "what you sow, so shall you also reap", it's just a matter of time.

I'm sure that Tebow in his own mind believes that what he said is selfless in that he is protecting his teammate, and football players are unfortunately taught that supporting the team is the end-all and be-all of life.

Football is a uniquely physically challenging sport, and I guess players have to be kind of brainwashed by the coaches that giving all mentally and physically is required to get their best performance.

But there is more to life than a game, and I'd like to see a little more of that in the sports world, too.

By the way, I am surprised nobody brought up the triple-team against DeMarcus Granger in the Washington game last year? No suspensions or penalties levied against those guys, either, and Bob Stoops refused to make a public issue about it, saying it was basically just a part of football.

Now that DeMarcus was denied an injury redshirt, did that play helpl end his career?

SoonerObsession
11/2/2009, 10:12 PM
I love the article. The Gators are beginning to show their true colors for sure. I sure hope someone knocks them off soon. I can't stand to see them in the NC again.

NorCaligator
11/2/2009, 11:32 PM
The article is full of unsupported conclusions masquerading as facts. If this was so vicious, how come the "victim" never reacted, never left the game, never acted like he was affected and hasn't said anything about it?

I guarantee you this stuff goes on in just about every game, particularly in intense rivalry games. Doesn't make it right, but it makes a lot of the folks commenting on this seem pretty pollyannaish.

Go ahead and hate on the Gators. Define them by this instance if it makes you feel better. Shoot, try to use it as a basis for criticizing Tebow and his Christianity if you feel you are in a position to judge him.

It just looks like hysteria to me.

Johnny Utah
11/2/2009, 11:46 PM

Great point. I'm not one to question anybody else's faith, however I find it interesting that Tebow's definition of faith is flexible based on the situation. Witnessing his displays of "leadership :rolleyes: " is like watching the vehicle with the fish magnet demonstrating "road rage".

sozo
11/3/2009, 12:04 AM
The article is full of unsupported conclusions masquerading as facts. If this was so vicious, how come the "victim" never reacted, never left the game, never acted like he was affected and hasn't said anything about it?

I guarantee you this stuff goes on in just about every game, particularly in intense rivalry games. Doesn't make it right, but it makes a lot of the folks commenting on this seem pretty pollyannaish.

Go ahead and hate on the Gators. Define them by this instance if it makes you feel better. Shoot, try to use it as a basis for criticizing Tebow and his Christianity if you feel you are in a position to judge him.

It just looks like hysteria to me.Would expect nothing else from you!Go ahead blindly defend them.WOW

Johnny Utah
11/3/2009, 12:07 AM

what a tool

Crucifax Autumn
11/3/2009, 12:13 AM
I'll just use it to judge the one player and the coach...oh and tebow since he defended it. Everyone else on the team has to say something stupid about it before I hold it against them too...I'm sure I'll get my chance.

IB4OU
11/3/2009, 01:48 AM
I guarantee you this stuff goes on in just about every game, particularly in intense rivalry games.

Yeah, Youtube is full of other eye-gouging videos. :rolleyes:

silverwheels
11/3/2009, 01:52 AM
LMAO at Florida fans trying to justify this. Give me a break.

starclassic tama
11/3/2009, 01:54 AM
it's not like every single player even gets to speak to the media in college after games. so how do you know mark richt didn't shut the guy down from even talking? the tape doesn't lie gaytor. the fact that you can watch that video and still defend him is disgusting.

setem
11/3/2009, 02:13 AM
This is such BS! Spikes is out attacking people and Dez Bryant and Mike Balogun get sent up the damn river! The NCAA wants to put out as many little fires as they can but let the big giant flames continue to burn. The NCAA is a joke and a bunch of crooked *******s! I would not let them rule of a little league game much less major college sporting events. I am sick and tired of minor things ruining kids football careers but someone like Spikes is allowed to play and he will probably end up making millions.

The NCAA is about as backward as a governing body can get. When folks do the right thing i.e..self reporting infractions they get hammered but the USC's and Florida's of the world can do whatever they want and as long they keep their mouth shut or act like they did nothing wrong then it is OKAY! In the NCAA you are rewarded for doing the wrong thing! I hate pro football but love college football but the NCAA is ruining it for me! There will never be a level playing field as along those crooks have control!

sooner59
11/3/2009, 02:45 AM

Well, I am sad to hear that you are blind, deaf, and dumb. It must suck. But if this was a Sooner, I would be very upset and suspension for half a game would **** me off and I would be very upset at Bob. But Bob has proven that he isn't a d***** and he dishes out punishment to fit the crime. Meyer is a tool. And Spikes...who notably said that OU was the dirtiest team that he has played, is full of s***. And he is a hypocrite.

This is barely less offensive than Oregon's Blount. That guy punched a guy in the jaw for talking s*** after the game. Spikes eye-gouged a guy during the game....trying to injure him. Then Tebow and Meyer pretty much defended him

F*** the Gaytors!

I hope Alabama destroys Florida in the SEC CG and dismantles Texas in the title game by a biblical proportion.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/3/2009, 02:47 AM
Florida's football program has had 35 arrests in 3 years.

Just an FYIThey have been beating out the U in recent yrs., for the players they both want.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/3/2009, 02:49 AM
Maybe he only gouged one eye and thus the 1/2 game suspension.Duh! who didn't know that?

MrJimBeam
11/3/2009, 06:34 AM
If this was so vicious, how come the "victim" never reacted, never left the game, never acted like he was affected and hasn't said anything about it?

All that proves is that Spikes sucks at gouging peoples eyes out. Time to watch some film.

You know, if you shoot at someone and just graze their shoulder, you still get charged with a crime.

Jacie
11/3/2009, 06:51 AM
You have to actually kill with intent to get suspended an entire game at F-U.

Man, just wait'll Spikes gets his hands inside Ponyboy's helmet. That will be very entertaining!

beer4me
11/3/2009, 06:57 AM
Well if Spikes would have put out his eyes it would have been ok cause tebus would just spit in the dirt mix it up and rub into his eyes and presto change o his sight would have been brought back ;)

KantoSooner
11/3/2009, 11:07 AM
I'm trying to think of any coach in the last 50 years who would not have punished Spikes more severely. Switzer (the original 'black hat' for his haters)? Sherril? No way. the guy would be sitting for many games if not thrown off the team. And don't even mention guys like Joe Pa. He would have had the moron ejected from the school. Not even Petey, who'll let you take money, but in my mind draws the line at on-field-felonies. nope.
The only guy who would have reacted as Meyer did was Jimmy Johnson during his days at Miami.
Congrats Floridians, you've managed to take what was once a respected program and turn it into trash. Oh, you'll win your share of games and championships....and the rest of the country will get to see you for what you are. Have a happy.

NorCaligator
11/3/2009, 12:02 PM
If I came across as defending Spikes' actions, that was my bad. What he did was dirty, and shouldn't be allowed. He is being punished, although fairly lightly. But I do think this is blown out of proportion.

My first point was that there is no evidence of eye gouging. If the caption was: "Spikes rubbed spit on Ealey's face", it would be just as plausible, and folks wouldn't be freaking out so much. There is simply no evidence of eye gouging. The video shows Spikes' hand moving inside the face mask, but you don't see fingers going in the guy's eyes. And Ealey never reacted like his eyes were gouged. He got up and ran the next play. Where is the evidence of a gouge?

My second point is that dirty stuff goes on all the time. I said "It doesn't make it right." But seriously, the level of hysteria is over the top. Anyone who thinks their team doesn't do this kind of thing is simply naive.

Regarding Tebow, I'm not a Christian. But I am amused by those who appear to be Christians criticizing his Christianity because of his comments. Seems pretty hypocritical and not very Christian.

I get that people are sick of the Gators, sick of Tebow, and would love to see us lose and him caught with an underage hooker. That comes with the territory. I hate most teams when they are dominating, too.

TMcGee86
11/3/2009, 12:09 PM
The quote from Tebow speaks volumes about his character, IMO.

I was thinking the exact same thing. He is a joke.

badger
11/3/2009, 12:16 PM
My first point was that there is no evidence of eye gouging. If the caption was: "Spikes rubbed spit on Ealey's face", it would be just as plausible, and folks wouldn't be freaking out so much. There is simply no evidence of eye gouging. The video shows Spikes' hand moving inside the face mask, but you don't see fingers going in the guy's eyes. And Ealey never reacted like his eyes were gouged. He got up and ran the next play. Where is the evidence of a gouge?
Because we all think that he was just giving the poor guy a massage to his aid his headache. Aww, got migraines? Let ol' Spikes cure your ills. Let me massage your forehead. :rolleyes:

My second point is that dirty stuff goes on all the time. I said "It doesn't make it right." But seriously, the level of hysteria is over the top. Anyone who thinks their team doesn't do this kind of thing is simply naive.
You're defending that which shouldn't be defended with a weak defense.

MeMyself&Me
11/3/2009, 12:48 PM

And why exactly do you think Spikes's hand was in his facemask and what exactly was it doing while it was there? I'm having a hard time seeing anything other than what seems obvious.

If this type of thing goes on all the time, we'd be seeing video of it every week. The closest thing in recent memory I can think of is the Blount incident which was a made a bigger deal of.

Do you realize that Spikes would have made this player blind if he was successful? Think about that before you say that this is not that big of a deal and that it goes on all the time.

Crucifax Autumn
11/3/2009, 01:10 PM
Come on guys. Give the gator a break. In florida eye-socket massage is all the rage with people who set kids on fire. It's the biggest thing since chad-counting!

SoonerMavrick25
11/3/2009, 02:14 PM

Congrats you've just won "Biggest and Most Ridiculous Homer Post of the Year"

There is no turning back from the ignorance spewed all over your post.

SoonerMavrick25
11/3/2009, 02:24 PM
I'm really sure that Spikes was poked in the eye first. Look at this picture of Spikes during the game (#51), I don't see anything that would make me believe he is lying.

http://www.theskipster.com/images/spikes.jpg

Well, except maybe that visor he wears.

Nice find... That quote was per the DOK.

SoonerMavrick25
11/3/2009, 02:30 PM
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/28/282565.jpg

Here is Mr. Spikes at twenty-eig.... AHHEMMM ... sorry at the tender age of eighteen...

NorCaligator
11/3/2009, 02:53 PM
There is no evidence of an eye gouge.
No video of fingers in the eyes.
Ealey didn't miss a play.
No video of Ealey rubbing his eyes or reacting in any way.
Ealey said nothing, even when discussing the game with the media.
Richt said nothing.

You will believe what you want. But the evidence of a gouge isn't there.

Sure I'm a homer. I've also said what he did wasn't right. But people are assuming an act or intent without actual evidence.

Spikes put his hand in Ealey's facemask. That's wrong. But you don't know he was gouging the guys eyes or that he even intended to. You are just assuming he was, probably because that's how it was spun.

It is possible he was trying to gouge the guy's eyes. But there are other equally plausible conclusions. The rubbing-spit-in-his-face scenario is just as likely. It just doesn't fit what you want to believe, so you don't consider the possibility.

NorCaligator
11/3/2009, 02:56 PM
Nice find... That quote was per the DOK.

The play people are talking about was when Spikes' helmet was knocked off. I don't know if he got poked, but I'm pretty sure the visor doesn't help when your helmet is on the ground.

beer4me
11/3/2009, 02:57 PM
Richt said nothing.

Sure I'm a homer. I've also said what he did wasn't right. But people are assuming an act or intent without actual evidence.

Spikes put his hand in Ealey's facemask. That's wrong. But you don't know he was gouging the guys eyes or that he even intended to. You are just assuming he was, probably because that's how it was spun.

It is possible he was trying to gouge the guy's eyes. But there are other equally plausible conclusions. The rubbing-spit-in-his-face scenario is just as likely. It just doesn't fit what you want to believe, so you don't consider the possibility.

Dude don't you have some gaytor fans you can go talk to and each of you can stroke each other and tell each other how spikes is being treated so unfairly.

You keep posting this tripe thinking you are winning a losing argument.

Your waiting for some sooner fan here to stroke your ego and make you feel better.

I wouldn't hold my breath now go find a gaytor board so you can read things that gives you that "just peed in a dark suit feeling" geeze louise.

badger
11/3/2009, 03:06 PM
It's nice that you're so dedicated and supportive of your team and all, Nor, but like I said earlier, this is an act that you shouldn't defend, because it's indefensible.

Support your Gators. Cheer for them on their way to the SEC and National championships, but you should pick your battles wisely. This is a battle that you're not going to win.

KantoSooner
11/3/2009, 03:10 PM
Richt said nothing.

You're absolutely right!

There is also no evidence that would stand up in a court of law that Osama Bin Ladin and Al Qaida had anything to do with the 9/11 'incidents'.

Were you Spikes' defense attorney, your comments would be excusable instances of just doing your job. As it is, they serve to underline what would appear to be a borderline dissociative affliction. As in: what planet to you live on?

85Sooner
11/3/2009, 03:13 PM
The NCAA should suspend him for the season for that blatant stuff.

SoonerMavrick25
11/3/2009, 03:14 PM
The play people are talking about was when Spikes' helmet was knocked off. I don't know if he got poked, but I'm pretty sure the visor doesn't help when your helmet is on the ground.

I watched the game. His helmet is always coming off because he doesn't always snap his chin strap all the way on. (not to mention dreads make it hard to keep a helmet on)His helmet came off while he was gang tackling someone and he hit someones helmet. There was no such eye gauge on that play you are talking about.

In a press release the DOK said something to the effect that he was retaliating for an earlier play. Which totally makes his actions okay in the land of gators and thugs.

NorCaligator
11/3/2009, 03:17 PM
Dude, there's not an argument to be won or lost. We're just writing about an event. I'm setting out an alternative point of view. If no one changes their mind, its no big deal. But isn't that what these boards are for? Isn't that why someone started the thread?

Its not like I poked a finger in your eye or came on here to dis you or your team.

SoonerMavrick25
11/3/2009, 03:18 PM
Richt said nothing.

IF IT DOESN'T FIT, THEN YOU MUST ACQUIT!!!!

Yours truly,
The ghost of Johnnie Cochran.

NorCaligator
11/3/2009, 03:20 PM
It's nice that you're so dedicated and supportive of your team and all, Nor, but like I said earlier, this is an act that you shouldn't defend, because it's indefensible.

Support your Gators. Cheer for them on their way to the SEC and National championships, but you should pick your battles wisely. This is a battle that you're not going to win.

Ok. I'll stop. Its already cost me all my rep.

MeMyself&Me
11/3/2009, 03:23 PM
Richt said nothing.

You keep saying 'no evidence'... have you really looked at that play?

It wasn't as if his hand just happened to go in there on accident. When it initially goes in, Spikes has to bend his arm at a funny angle to make it happen.

Not only was it intentional but once in there, you can see Spikes digging around AND you can see the Georgia player trying to resist (that's a reaction by the way) with his own free hand.

The fact that the Georgia player had the class to get up and walk away and not come of throwing punches, or whatever YOU would expect of him, is more a testament to THAT players character than it has anything to do with saying whether the gouging happened or not.

As I said before, if Spikes was successful, the Georgia player is blind.

Being a homer is one thing but you need help... and I'm not just saying that. This is sick.

BoulderSooner79
11/3/2009, 03:30 PM
There is no point of view - there was malintent. So if there was no eye gouged, it was only because Spikes used poor eye-gouging technique. You sound like lawyer - would you plea bargain down to attempted gouging? I think that's what UM did because the standard punishment is 1/2 a game on the bench.

Geez, the point here is that was a dirty play by top player and there is no defending that action. Even UM agrees even if we argue about his punishment. I haven't heard about any public statement of remorse from Mr. Spikes, but I haven't really followed the story.

NorCaligator
11/3/2009, 03:38 PM
Spikes said:

"I accept responsibility for my actions and I accept the consequences of my actions." "I would like to apologize to my team and the coaching staff and Washaun Ealey. Football is a very physical and emotional game, but there is no excuse for my actions."

Ealey's response:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/10316196/Georgia-RB:-Spikes-shouldn%27t-be-suspended

Sooner04
11/3/2009, 03:39 PM
Who cares?

setem
11/3/2009, 03:44 PM
Who cares?

THIS! Give that POS the chair!

SoonerMavrick25
11/3/2009, 03:46 PM
Spikes said:

"I accept responsibility for my actions and I accept the consequences of my actions." "I would like to apologize to my team and the coaching staff and Washaun Ealey. Football is a very physical and emotional game, but there is no excuse for my actions."

Ealey's response:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/10316196/Georgia-RB:-Spikes-shouldn%27t-be-suspended

I saw this template on howtomakeanappolgy.com

Nobody likes a snitch FYI ..... Respect to Ealey's response

This wouldn't be as big of a deal if he didn't say OU was the dirtiest team ever...

Crucifax Autumn
11/3/2009, 03:48 PM
"I accept responsibility for my actions and I accept the consequences of my actions."

That's fantastic and all, but it's like accepting responsibility for killing a busload of nuns and getting off on time served.

MeMyself&Me
11/3/2009, 03:51 PM
That's fantastic and all, but it's like accepting responsibility for killing a busload of nuns and getting off on time served.

That's kinda along the lines of what I was thinking.

Crucifax Autumn
11/3/2009, 04:19 PM
Yep. the Austin PD must be in charge of discipline at FU.

GKeeper316
11/3/2009, 04:30 PM
brandon spikes is a punk *** bitch.

cjames317
11/3/2009, 05:09 PM
The NCAA should suspend him for the season for that blatant stuff.

Does the NCAA even care about this? Since it was originally created to make collegiate athletics safer?

Crucifax Autumn
11/3/2009, 05:15 PM
Does the NCAA even care about this? Since it was originally created to make collegiate athletics safer?

I thought it was created to guarantee Reggie Bush a paycheck, car, and mansion...

badger
11/3/2009, 05:34 PM
The player he poked doesn't want Spikes suspended, per ESPN. Link here.
(http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4619952)
I think that about settles it.

GKeeper316
11/3/2009, 05:37 PM
The player he poked doesn't want Spikes suspended, per ESPN. I can't find the link now, but it's out there.

I think that about settles it.

so players should decide each others' punishments?

thats like loading the jury in a criminal trial with a bunch of felons.

gotpoi73
11/3/2009, 08:47 PM

doosh spikes likes to play without his chinstrap strapped up, that is why his helmet came off after a hit

its okay to admit it, he's a dooooosh

NorCaligator
11/3/2009, 08:58 PM
"He really didn't gouge my eyes," Ealey said. "He really didn't get a chance to get close to my eyes."

But we KNOW that's what he tried to do, so it doesn't matter what you say, Ealey.

sooneron
11/3/2009, 09:33 PM
"He really didn't gouge my eyes," Ealey said. "He really didn't get a chance to get close to my eyes."

But we KNOW that's what he tried to do, so it doesn't matter what you say, Ealey.

Wow, you quote that, yet don't quote this in which spikes all but admits that what he was doing was a major no no...

"I accept responsibility for my actions and I accept the consequences of my actions," Spikes said. "I would like to apologize to my team and the coaching staff and Washaun Ealey. Football is a very physical and emotional game, but there is no excuse for my actions."

To me, this sounds GILL TEE! No excuse for his actions? Uh...ok.

Ealey said his eyes were shut and that Spikes didn't really have the time to gouge him. Maybe Ufla has an optholmalogy department. Mr. Spikes looks to be a stand up 3.75 guy, I'm sure he could get into whatever grad school he wants in Gainesville.

And seriously, rubbing spit in his eyes? Dude, what is that some fag swamp jerk off game that you and your boyfriend play whilst rubbing one out to teblow footage?:rolleyes:

MeMyself&Me
11/3/2009, 10:02 PM

Just because he missed the eyes doesn't mean he wasn't trying too. Watch the video dude. Spikes has to move his arm into a odd enough position so that it's quite obvious that putting his hand into the facemask is intentional. And once it's there, you can see the hand doing its best to work over the upper part of Ealey's face. You also see Ealey try to defend himself with his one free hand (a reaction you claim does not exist).

Watch that video again and tell us all that is not what is going on.

But I guess to you, the obvious intent to gouge his eyes has nothing to do with anything... only whether he actually did or not. If he did succeed, Ealey would be blind.

VA Sooner
11/3/2009, 10:13 PM
The picture on Spikes' wall:

http://www.chrisdetrick.com/blog/uploaded_images/BYU-Pepper-CD-01bw-767668.jpg

That looks like Urban Meyer on the right. Spikes' protege and mentor?

VA Sooner
11/3/2009, 10:14 PM
Come on guys. Give the gator a break. In florida eye-socket massage is all the rage with people who set kids on fire. It's the biggest thing since chad-counting!

Ouch!

TheHumanAlphabet
11/3/2009, 10:15 PM
Spikes said:

Ealey's response:

Not acceptable. He states this after he was caught and will miss a half against a team he shouldn't play against. BFD. Slime does as slime is.

VA Sooner
11/3/2009, 10:20 PM
At this point, the video evidence is there and so is Spikes' apology.

But the real concerning thing is Meyer's "stern" nature and zero tolerance punishment of a half-game suspension for something that could seriously injure a kid and jeopardize their career.

i.e. Marcus Vick stomp on Elvis Dumervil's knee.

These are far worse offenses than the Blount punch or the Dez Bryant lie to the NCAA. I want to see if the NCAA will act on this since Urban is focused on the road to the national championship and the SEC doesn't want to risk taking one of their teams out of the title picture.

o0Dan0o
11/3/2009, 10:24 PM
Shoot, try to use it as a basis for criticizing Tebow and his Christianity if you feel you are in a position to judge him.

That's right, because judge not, lest the Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah strike you down with lightning bolts from his ***...

Richt said nothing.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. If someone shoots at you, but doesn't actually hit you, would you still want them arrested? Failure to gouge is almost (but not quite, since he's not liable for the injuries) as bad as actually gouging someones eyes. If I saw an OU player try and gouge someones eyes, I'd want them suspended for at least a few games. Then again, Stoops actually disciplines his athletes.
Dan

NorCaligator
11/3/2009, 11:38 PM
And seriously, rubbing spit in his eyes? Dude, what is that some fag swamp jerk off game that you and your boyfriend play whilst rubbing one out to teblow footage?:rolleyes:

Not that I expect you to know much about that "fag" sport known as hockey, but see definition #1:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=face+wash

SanDiegoSoonerGal
11/4/2009, 12:21 AM
If I came across as defending Curran's actions, that was my bad. What he did was dirty, and shouldn't be allowed. He is being punished, although fairly lightly. But I do think this is blown out of proportion.

My first point was that there is no evidence of eye gouging. If the caption was: "Curran rubbed spit on Tebow's face", it would be just as plausible, and folks wouldn't be freaking out so much. There is simply no evidence of eye gouging. The video shows Curran's hand moving inside the face mask, but you don't see fingers going in the guy's eyes. And Tebow never reacted like his eyes were gouged. He got up and ran the next play. Where is the evidence of a gouge?

Tebow didn't miss a play.
No video of Tebow rubbing his eyes or reacting in any way.
Tebow said nothing, even when discussing the game with the media.
Richt said nothing.

Curran put his hand in Tebow's facemask. That's wrong. But you don't know he was gouging the guys eyes or that he even intended to. You are just assuming he was, probably because that's how it was spun.

I made a few edits. Still agree with yourself?

(Of course, for this thought experiment you do have to set aside Tebow's godliness and imagine himself a mere human like all other Div 1 players.)

Crucifax Autumn
11/4/2009, 12:22 AM
Not that I expect you to know much about that "fag" sport known as hockey, but see definition #1:

So he was just trying to make the guy jizz on his own face?

NorCaligator
11/4/2009, 01:09 AM
So he was just trying to make the guy jizz on his own face?

:D Didn't I make that clear?

Crucifax Autumn
11/4/2009, 01:21 AM
Not quite. There's a guy named Lid around here I need you to demonstrate this on.

MeMyself&Me
11/4/2009, 07:33 AM
Not quite. There's a guy named Lid around here I need you to demonstrate this on.

:D

OU4LIFE
11/4/2009, 09:26 AM
Spikes said:

Ealey's response:

Why apologize for something that there was 'clearly no evidence of'? I guess he's apologizing for trying to rub spit on his face.

guy should be gone. period. ANYONE caught doing something as blatant should be gone.

sooneron
11/4/2009, 11:05 AM

First of all, you said RUB SPIT. None of those words are in the term "FACE WASH". See how easy that is?

Oh and hockey, let's see... uh, yeah when the NY Rangers won their last cup, I did happen to live about three blocks from the Garden at the time and I saw them play about 8 games that year. Saw Gretzky's last game there. Saw Messier's last game there...
Oh yeah, I go to Devils games too, saw Crosby and the Pens twice last year.
Also watched Gordy Howe and his sons when they were with the Aeros franchise back when I was a young lad and....

...at the time I WAS PLAYING LL HOCKEY!! OMG!!!

Yeah, swamp bumpkin, I know nothing of hawkie! :rolleyes:
Your inept dooshyness know no bounds. Keep trying though. And keep sticking up for your dbag of a hypocritical thug you have at lb'er. Way to go full retard here!:rolleyes:

NorCaligator
11/4/2009, 12:34 PM
First of all, you said RUB SPIT. None of those words are in the term "FACE WASH". See how easy that is?

Oh and hockey, let's see... uh, yeah when the NY Rangers won their last cup, I did happen to live about three blocks from the Garden at the time and I saw them play about 8 games that year. Saw Gretzky's last game there. Saw Messier's last game there...
Oh yeah, I go to Devils games too, saw Crosby and the Pens twice last year.
Also watched Gordy Howe and his sons when they were with the Aeros franchise back when I was a young lad and....

...at the time I WAS PLAYING LL HOCKEY!! OMG!!!

Yeah, swamp bumpkin, I know nothing of hawkie! :rolleyes:
Your inept dooshyness know no bounds. Keep trying though. And keep sticking up for your dbag of a hypocritical thug you have at lb'er. Way to go full retard here!:rolleyes:

I didn't say "rub spit" was the only thing he did, I said it was just as plausible as an eye gouge. Given your vast knowledge of hockey, I would have expected you to understand the concept I was trying to get across. But if the distinction between rubbing spit and a hockey-style face wash is too subtle for you, ok. That and your attempts to insult me speak volumes.

11/4/2009, 12:38 PM
Wow... dork fight! :D

NorCaligator
11/4/2009, 12:47 PM
Wow... dork fight! :D

Over the internet, no less.

badger
11/4/2009, 02:03 PM
Let it go, guys. Florida ain't gonna do anything more about, Georgia ain't gonna complain anymore about it, the SEC ain't gonna take any action unless you talk badly about the refs, and the only one left complaining are those that really can't do much about it... fans and media.

Now... VANDY FOR THE UPSET!!!!! ;)

OUDoc
11/4/2009, 02:06 PM
SEC! SEC! SEC!

Soonersince57
11/4/2009, 04:59 PM
But Mr. Urbane can still complain about others.......

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4622769

Meyer: Tebow hit late vs. Georgia

Associated Press

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida coach Urban Meyer believes Southeastern Conference officials missed a late hit on Tim Tebow in Saturday's game against Georgia.

Meyer said Wednesday the crew calling the game should have flagged Bulldogs linebacker Nick Williams for knocking his quarterback to the ground well after he had gotten rid of the football.

Meyer sent video of the play to Rogers Redding, the league's coordinator of officials. Meyer declined to reveal what the SEC told him, saying he didn't "want to step out of line."

Last week the SEC changed its discipline policy about coaches publicly criticizing officials, making the punishment either a fine or a suspension and doing away with the reprimands.

Meyer told reporters on the weekly SEC conference call the play was directly in front of the referee and should have been penalized. Tebow handed off to running back Jeff Demps, took a few steps to his right and wasn't looking when Williams came unblocked off the right edge and slammed into his chest.

"That should have been a penalty, in my opinion," Meyer said. "Obviously, it should have been. You've got to protect quarterbacks. That's the whole purpose. It's right in front of the referee. I'm not sure how they're going to handle that, but ... that was one of the plays we did send in."

Meyer didn't mention the play until asked about it Wednesday, possibly trying to avoid drawing punishment from the league. He also prefaced his comments by saying he has "great respect" for SEC officials and the way the league handles complaints.

The SEC decided to stop handing out reprimands for ripping officials after three coaches in less than a week were reprimanded last month.

Commissioner Mike Slive was given full discretion by the league's athletic directors and presidents to hand out the punishment. He will determine the amount of fines and lengths of suspensions on a case-by-case basis.

The SEC's officiating, and public complaints by Tennessee's Lane Kiffin and Mississippi State's Dan Mullen, has drawn plenty of unwanted attention for the league.

An officiating crew was suspended last month after it called penalties the league said were not supported by video evidence in the LSU-Georgia game Oct. 3 and the Arkansas-Florida game Oct. 17. The SEC publicly announced the suspensions, an unprecedented move by the conference.

NorCaligator
11/4/2009, 06:46 PM
Spikes won't play Saturday. http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20091104/ARTICLES/911049867/1136?Title=Spikes-says-he-ll-sit-out-game

This proves:
a. He gouged Ealey's eyes.
b. Urban was too lenient - even Spikes agrees.
c. His groin still hurts and he needs the rest.
d. Who cares? Spikes must commit seppuku.
e. All of the above.

47straight
11/4/2009, 07:32 PM
Spikes won't play Saturday. http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20091104/ARTICLES/911049867/1136?Title=Spikes-says-he-ll-sit-out-game

This proves:
e. All of the above.

f. He's a pathetic hypocrite.

GKeeper316
11/4/2009, 08:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjA9xTDZXhk&feature=related

guilty

ouwapiti
11/4/2009, 08:45 PM
if a player purposely tries to do bodily harm to another player.....i say suspend him for the year...if you did that on the street you'd be in jail!!!!!!

sooneron
11/4/2009, 09:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjA9xTDZXhk&feature=related

guilty

Yeah, well that settles it... I could easily see the part where he took the time to spit onto his own hand and THEN insert it into the other guy's facemask.:rolleyes: LO****ingL!

sooneron
11/4/2009, 09:55 PM

This proves:
e. All of the above.

you left out d-bag thug...

Crucifax Autumn
11/4/2009, 10:01 PM
you left out d-bag thug...

And whiny little bitch with a pull in a groin he obviously doesn't have...the groin, not the pull.

sooneron
11/4/2009, 10:05 PM
But if the distinction between rubbing spit and a hockey-style face wash is too subtle for you, ok. That and your attempts to insult me speak volumes.

LOL! Yeah, I guess using two completely different words is too subtle for me. :rolleyes:
Yep, full retard, you went...

Crucifax Autumn
11/4/2009, 10:22 PM
I read it and thought he was referring to a baseball dugout. Go figure.

VA Sooner
11/4/2009, 11:33 PM
I wonder if Spikes was under pressure to make that statement with the media in an uproar.

Did the folks at Florida have to reign in Spikes, Meyer and the AD to try to stamp this out quickly before it spiraled downward any further or was Spikes really sorry for what he did and he would like to sit out a game.

Methinks... with all of the fire under Meyer's butt for being weak in doling out punishment (half a game suspension means you really want your player to be in the game but you are forced to do something about it to save face... which he only saved half of anyway) that there must have been a quick meeting with the parties involved and something had to be done to put out this publicity fire.

If Meyer would have said a one-game suspension... I think everything would have been said and done and the college football world would have moved on.

Crucifax Autumn
11/5/2009, 01:25 AM
Spikes was on an episode of Criminal Minds tonight:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1522955/

The Eyes Have It

The BAU team tracks a serial killer who keeps the eyes of his victims as souvenirs.

Later, the team gathers at Derek's request. J.J. shows gruesome pictures of the latest crop of dead folks in Oklahoma City. "Their eyes have been removed," she points out. None of the team seems particularly surprised, although Derek does note that it's odd for such a killer to keep the orbs. "He's going to need to kill again soon," Derek tells the team. As if they -- and we -- didn't know it.

heh...Spikes is coming after all the Okies ragging on him.

OUDoc
11/5/2009, 09:06 AM
I wonder who's really running the team?
Talk about making Urban Meyer look weak.

KantoSooner
11/5/2009, 10:16 AM
I never thought I'd say this, but have recently become a big Nic Saban fan. Roll Tide, Roll!

NorCaligator
11/5/2009, 12:06 PM
I wonder who's really running the team?
Talk about making Urban Meyer look weak.

I know.

2 BCS titles in the last three years.
Currently undefeated and ranked #1.
18 game winning streak.
24-14

Very weak.
Why is such a pathetic program generating so much national interest?

KantoSooner
11/5/2009, 12:11 PM
roughly the same could have been said about Miami. And I know it must make your manly breast swell with pride, Cali, to know that Florida has now acheived that lofty peak.
How must it feel to know that Bowden now carries the state's claim to run a 'clean' program. Wow.

Crucifax Autumn
11/5/2009, 12:12 PM

Preoccupation with the whereabouts of third world foreskins?

NorCaligator
11/5/2009, 12:22 PM
roughly the same could have been said about Miami. And I know it must make your manly breast swell with pride, Cali, to know that Florida has now acheived that lofty peak.
How must it feel to know that Bowden now carries the state's claim to run a 'clean' program. Wow.

First, I have two manly breasts, not one.
Second, I'd give the clean program award to USF - clearly the third best team in Florida - not FSU.
Finally, I think it will take a few more instances of bad behavior to get to Miami's "Thug-U" level. And Spikes is gone after this year.

Crucifax Autumn
11/5/2009, 12:25 PM
So with another year he could push FU into the immortal ranks of Miami?

NorCaligator
11/5/2009, 12:27 PM
So with another year he could push FU into the immortal ranks of Miami?

Look at what he accomplished in just one game.

rawlingsHOH
11/5/2009, 12:33 PM
It is all VERY ironic.

Crucifax Autumn
11/5/2009, 12:36 PM
Imagine what will happen if during one of the screaming rampages tebow starts shooting lighting bolts out his *** and fireballs out his eyes at opposing players as horns sprout from his head and rip through his helmet?

OUDoc
11/5/2009, 12:37 PM
I know.

2 BCS titles in the last three years.
Currently undefeated and ranked #1.
18 game winning streak.
24-14

Very weak.

So who's running the team?

NorCaligator
11/5/2009, 12:39 PM
So who's running the team?

Damned if I know, but we should pay him to stay.

OUDoc
11/5/2009, 12:41 PM
Imagine what will happen if during one of the screaming rampages tebow starts shooting lighting bolts out his *** and fireballs out his eyes at opposing players as horns sprout from his head and rip through his helmet?
Tebow would say he was only retaliating, they started it.

badger
11/5/2009, 12:47 PM
In an effort to condone Spikes' behavior, Urban's probably gonna get fined by the SEC for complaining about the refs not calling a late hit on Tebow.

This whole sh!t fiasco needs to die. I really don't care anymore what happens with Florida.

Crucifax Autumn
11/5/2009, 12:49 PM
I want it to go on long enough to tarnish their glowing reputation...which is amazing for a school with so many arrests in recent years, not to mention tebow's habit of taunting opposing teams without penalty.

Collier11
11/5/2009, 04:36 PM
I love how Spikes makes this decision and then Urban Meyer goes out of his way to say it was a group decision to save face, what a prick

MeMyself&Me
11/5/2009, 05:09 PM
I want it to go on long enough to tarnish their glowing reputation...which is amazing for a school with so many arrests in recent years, not to mention tebow's habit of taunting opposing teams without penalty.

This

Crucifax Autumn
11/5/2009, 05:15 PM
I love how Spikes makes this decision and then Urban Meyer goes out of his way to say it was a group decision to save face, what a prick

I'm betting the whole story is bullshat with extra cheese. No way did it go like that. I see 2 possible scenarios:

1) Spikes threw a baby fit about the half game and got slammed with the full game and Meyer made up the story to make it sound like he has a team with the highest morals.

2) Meyer was catching heat from all directions and told Spikes it was gonna be a full game and made up the story to make it sound like Spikes is a guy with the highest morals.

Either way, it's a load of crap and a publicity move.

NorCaligator
11/5/2009, 05:16 PM

Actually, it looks like the reputation is pretty well tarnished, don't you think?

But when I see three Florida related threads on the first page here, I figure we must be doing well.

MeMyself&Me
11/5/2009, 05:36 PM
Actually, it looks like the reputation is pretty well tarnished, don't you think?

But when I see three Florida related threads on the first page here, I figure we must be doing well.

If win at ALL cost is what you mean then...

yup

Keep up the good work there. :rolleyes:

Crucifax Autumn
11/5/2009, 05:54 PM

Yep...Among the elite hippocritical jackazz teams in the land. Nothing like being so dirty and underhanded that messageboards all over the land are ragging on you.

OU4LIFE
11/6/2009, 08:22 AM
And Spikes is gone after this year.

Dang, who's going to rub spit on opposing teams faces then?

11/10/2009, 08:07 AM
I carry the banner of neg spit in honor.

Yippee!!! My team is the best!