PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else who was at the KSU game notice...

SbOrOiNaEnR
11/2/2009, 08:29 AM
...that Rick Bryan was in the Intro Video? This was only the second game I've been to this year, and I don't remember that from the Idaho State game. Although I may not have been able to see that video through the torrential downpour that caused me to grab two of every animal in the vicinity.

Anyway, I thought it was really cool. If he was in the video before the Tulsa game, that would've been even cooler. Although when I texted a few friends to tell them he was there, I was met with a response of "Who?"

:mad: KNOW WHERE YOU COME FROM!!!! :mad:

(Rant over)

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0712/cfb.best.player.numbers.67to99/images/80.rick.bryan.jpg

Crucifax Autumn
11/2/2009, 08:41 AM
I'm not shocked. A lot of fans just don't really know their history, though a conference defensive player of the year probbaly should be remembered. I'm guessing he suffers from playing during the King's "dark years".

SunnySooner
11/2/2009, 08:47 AM
I saw Bob talking in an interview saying he had just seen Rick right before he died when they were filming the intro video, so I'm assuming that means it's the same video they've had all year.

SoonerPr8r
11/2/2009, 09:44 AM
Yea he has been in every video this year. He got big cheers before the Tulsa game.

stoopified
11/2/2009, 10:19 AM
I don't know how anyone can consider themselves Sooner fans without knowing OUr history.I have had people ask me why the field is named Owen,not Owens.You then have to explain it is named afterBennie Owen,not Steve Owens.You then have to tell them that he had a career record of 122-54-16.I actually have had so-called Sooner fans say Owen only won a few games,whats the big deal?

I'm not saying everyone should be a Sooner football historian like me but should know our players and coaches.

Piware
11/2/2009, 08:20 PM
The whole football experience is so much richer when fans understand OUr history. Can't believe folks wouldn't know who Ricky was and what an outstanding contributor he was in his career as a Sooner.

My usual response (usually to an air head one of the kids drag in) is "Is that right? Name the 7 National Championship years". If I REALLY don't like them I ask them what they think of OUr Pulitzer Prize football coach Vernon Louis Parrington's writings. May be kind of mean but if you are going to claim to be a Sooner figure out what/who you are supporting.

okierider
11/2/2009, 10:41 PM
Give me a break guys.
Just because I do not know exactly what years OU won the national championships does not make me a wannabe fan ........Maybe Im a father of 3 with 2 in collage and have more important things to worry about than who won a game on 1953.....................
Not knocking your zeal, but to dog someone because they don't have the complete history of OU memorized is ................lame!!!!!!!

bluedogok
11/2/2009, 10:43 PM
There was an article about Rick Bryan's son and the Tulsa game earlier this season and a thread about it.

SoonerFans - Rick Bryan (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134651)

SbOrOiNaEnR
11/2/2009, 10:44 PM
Give me a break guys.
Just because I do not know exactly what years OU won the national championships does not make me a wannabe fan ........Maybe Im a father of 3 with 2 in collage and have more important things to worry about than who won a game on 1953.....................
Not knocking your zeal, but to dog someone because they don't have the complete history of OU memorized is ................lame!!!!!!!

Just out of curiosity, WHO just voluntarily found their way to "SOONER + FANS dot com?" ;)

Welcome to the board!

King Barry's Back
11/2/2009, 10:49 PM
Give me a break guys.

My heart is with the "know your history" crowd, but I think I've got to line up with okierider on this one.

I lived the Switzer years (King Barry), but I never really knew much about the Bud Wilkinson teams until that book came out a few years ago. I know a lot more now, and I've read a lot about the early years, but I don't remember it all.

Let's cut the young kids some slack.

SbOrOiNaEnR
11/2/2009, 10:58 PM
Let's cut the young kids some slack.

I'm 23, and couldn't even spell "Sooner" until 2004 when I decided to go to school at OU. Respecting history knows no age restrictions.

And I don't care whether or not you can tell me the exact number of hogsheads that can fill a urinal trough underneath the west side bleachers. All I'm saying is that when one professes to be a Sooner Fan, the name "Ricky Bryan" shouldn't be met with "Who?"

http://home.student.uu.se/anhe8197/can_t_we_all_just_get_along.jpg

Stitch Face
11/2/2009, 11:31 PM
Ricky's mom lives across the street from me. A very sweet woman. Ricky hayed my property earlier this summer and took some of my junk to use on his ranch, but I never met him.

Jboozer
11/2/2009, 11:36 PM
If anyone want to read a good book about OUr history, presidents can't punt is really good. It tells the sooner football history from the perspective of president boyd. It tells all the political, game related, and other stuff you know or might not. I wanted to know a little bout it and I really enjoyed the book

picasso
11/2/2009, 11:55 PM
Don't limit yourself to one book. I have several including the one that follows Tink Owens through the 1973 season.

sooners2win
11/2/2009, 11:56 PM
Yea he has been in every video this year. He got big cheers before the Tulsa game.

Not every game, Tulsa was the first

okierider
11/4/2009, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the welcome,sBoRo.......well alrite I tried ,you know who you are LOL. This is a great board and has been fun to follow along on. Will keep lurking in the back row until next time I see something that makes me go HMMMMM .

Crucifax Autumn
11/4/2009, 10:16 PM
All that lurking and you'll become knowledgeable enought that you never have that argument again.

Mississippi Sooner
11/4/2009, 10:25 PM
Just to set the record straight, Presidents Can't Punt is a book about former OU President George Cross. He had more to do with creating the OU monster than any other non-coach or player ever.

As for Bennie Owen, what he accomplished was even more amazing considering that he lost one of arms in a farming accident halfway through his career. He was on site every day for the construction of the first version of Memorial Stadium, and was also instrumental in securing financing for the stadium separate from the student union. He was much, much more than a football coach, and is certainly deserving of all the honor his name has earned.

MyT Oklahoma
11/4/2009, 10:40 PM
Not everybody is into history but you truly cannot appreciate Sooner football traditions if you don't know anything about them. Besides all of the books already mentioned you can simply go to soonersports.com and learn a ton of information to better understand the passion of some of the members of this board.

MyT Oklahoma
11/4/2009, 10:41 PM
P.S. The KSU game was my first this season and I loved seeing Ricky Bryan on the jumbotron.

texas bandman
11/4/2009, 10:43 PM
Yep, it's appropiate to be named Owen Field and Memorial Stadium...Gaylord not so much.

GKeeper316
11/5/2009, 12:09 AM
well my father was a fighter pilot stationed in england during the cold war, so i kinda grew up playing soccer... anyone wanna know how many times arsenal has won the premiereship and what years i can tell em.

we moved to blanchard in 84, when i was 13. thats sooner country and i learned fast. always been a sooner fan, even while attending state after high school (would have had to live at home if id gone to ou, and nobody wants that). state seemed like the best option for a real college experience for the money so i went there. and wore my crimson and cream whenever i could... boy did i get some looks... and a couple fights :)

but it really doesnt matter that you know our history. a love for all things sooner is good enough for me.

GKeeper316
11/5/2009, 12:10 AM
Yep, it's appropiate to be named Owen Field and Memorial Stadium...Gaylord not so much.

at least it aint boone lololololololololol