PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one...

SoonerFah
11/1/2009, 04:28 PM
who thinks that instant replay has made officiating worse in football? I mean, it's not like you have to get into good position and make the correct call because someone in a booth can just review it and get it right for you.

It's just something I have been pondering.

MeMyself&Me
11/1/2009, 04:36 PM
Well, I certainly don't think it's made it better but I'm sure Tech and Oregon fans will disagree.

Leroyt
11/1/2009, 04:36 PM
Does seem like the ncaa should invest in some goal line cameras (for starters) if they want it to seem legit. Imagine what replay looks like at a non-televised Baylor game at night. probably have a better chance at the right call listening to the radio. That said, I think getting a few extra calls right per season is likely worth it.

rawlingsHOH
11/1/2009, 04:52 PM
It's horrible. I guess they need to be full-time. ??

MeMyself&Me
11/1/2009, 05:12 PM
I'll say it's worse for this reason:

Without instant replay it was easier to take bad calls as just part of the game. Now, we see instant replay NOT fixing these bad calls and it's infuriating when they're obvious to all but the officials involved. Even worse, it gives a sense of legitimizing the bad calls.

I somewhat like the NFL version better in that one of the refs on the field takes a look at the video but I don't like that a coach has to challenge a call to get them to take a look.

stoopified
11/1/2009, 05:42 PM
I'll say it's worse for this reason:

Without instant replay it was easier to take bad calls as just part of the game. Now, we see instant replay NOT fixing these bad calls and it's infuriating when they're obvious to all but the officials involved. Even worse, it gives a sense of legitimizing the bad calls.

I somewhat like the NFL version better in that one of the refs on the field takes a look at the video but I don't like that a coach has to challenge a call to get them to take a look.I'm in favor of replay UNLESS it takes place in Dallas,Eugene,or Lubbock.

sooner518
11/1/2009, 06:36 PM
i would be in favor if they would GET THE CALL RIGHT! but 25% of the time, they dont even do that. it really boggles the mind sometimes.

Jboozer
11/1/2009, 07:40 PM
ref mistakes happen in every sport. Its part of the game, good and bad calls happen to everyone, and in the grand scheme of things I think it should just be that way. I don't think replay helps the game at all. It ruins the flow and momentum of the game, which I would rather have.

bluedogok
11/1/2009, 08:27 PM
On the FSN games they always show the Big 12 stats about how many Booth Reviews and Coaches Challenges have taken place and how many have been overturned, which I think for this season has been zero for both IIRC. Seems like they may be "using it" but not really...like the guy in the booth is just reinforcing the poor calls on the field.

SoonerSinger3
11/1/2009, 09:04 PM
I was talking about that last night with a friend, I think it has made officiating worse.

NorthernIowaSooner
11/1/2009, 10:15 PM
i think it makes it worse because the replay can fix things for them so there is less accountability on the field by the refs. they can blow the call or let a play continue because replay should make the calls correct.

that being said i think the ref should be the one reviewing the play. i think to fix it they should have someone like they do now stop play and say the play should be reviewed further and then have the actual ref on the field look at the play as they do in the NFL. that way there is more accountability on the refs on the field who take the crap from everyone anyway and not some guy sitting in the pressbox

aTm2004
11/1/2009, 10:37 PM
I think it's made it worse* and it has also gotten out of control. It seems like they take a look at almost every fumble (unless it's a strip well before the whistle, and then the player's ruled down) and almost always seem to get it wrong. Things we can see on the big screen clear as day they seem to miss.

I also believe they need to get rid of the college system and adopt the NFL replay. This keeps the refs from reviewing 10 plays/game.

*Worse in all conferences besides the Big XII because the Big XII officials have always sucked and can't possibly get any worse.

Curly Bill
11/1/2009, 11:47 PM
ref mistakes happen in every sport. Its part of the game, good and bad calls happen to everyone, and in the grand scheme of things I think it should just be that way. I don't think replay helps the game at all. It ruins the flow and momentum of the game, which I would rather have.

Why people continue to spout the line that official's mistakes are part of the game and should be accepted are beyond me. Mistakes by the guys in the striped shirts while all to common should never be accepted, and anything that can be done to minimize their screw ups should be welcome.

Let the teams decide the outcome of the game, not some knucklehead with a whistle.

SGT Park3R
11/2/2009, 03:10 AM
It seems no matter how many cameras and angles they have. The review officials still get some calls wrong even though everyone in the stands sees what actually happened. I have no idea how that happens. It drives me insane.

Unless you were to tell me that all the review officials are from Texas. It would be all clear to me then.