PDA

View Full Version : USC vs. OU in the Holiday bowl?

TJKDone
11/1/2009, 01:07 PM
Sounds like there is a decent chance for this happening.

I am sure you guys would like to stomp a mud hole in them.

Hook'em

kelloggOUballa
11/1/2009, 01:09 PM
How is the No. 2 team in the Big 12 going to make the Holiday Bowl?

meoveryouxinfinity
11/1/2009, 01:12 PM
OU- LSU in the Cotton.

soonerspiff
11/1/2009, 01:15 PM
OU- LSU in the Cotton.

Being a new resident of Louisiana, this is my dream matchup. You wouldn't believe the sh!t I still catch for '03...

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/1/2009, 01:25 PM
Being a new resident of Louisiana, this is my dream matchup. You wouldn't believe the sh!t I still catch for '03...It would be a fine game. I would rather play Miles' boys than usuc, since I'm sure we would get usuc's best game, instead of the meltdown they had in Ducktown last night.

Leroy Lizard
11/1/2009, 02:16 PM
It would be a fine game. I would rather play Miles' boys than usuc, since I'm sure we would get usuc's best game,

And we'll probably play our typical bowl game.

Bccajun
11/1/2009, 02:19 PM
I like that match up too. Might hold a party here with all of our LSU fans/friends. They love poking fun of us Sooner fans here.

yermom
11/1/2009, 02:24 PM
i'd love to beat either of those teams

if we win out, i think we are a lock for the Cotton

SPuL
11/1/2009, 04:03 PM
yo tho. What if Texas also wins out and is in the championship game. Doesn't that move us into the Fiesta Bowl as the next available big 12 team? Or does our 3 losses basically knock us out of that?

11/1/2009, 04:31 PM
yo tho. What if Texas also wins out and is in the championship game. Doesn't that move us into the Fiesta Bowl as the next available big 12 team? Or does our 3 losses basically knock us out of that?Somebody motivated should look it up. Guessing, if we can't play in the CCG, then we won't be eligible for the Fiesta Bowl.

A-M
11/1/2009, 04:52 PM
Somebody motivated should look it up. Guessing, if we can't play in the CCG, then we won't be eligible for the Fiesta Bowl.

Why not? It has happened before.

A-M
11/1/2009, 04:52 PM
Somebody motivated should look it up. Guessing, if we can't play in the CCG, then we won't be eligible for the Fiesta Bowl.

Why not? It has happened before.

TexasLidig8r
11/1/2009, 05:54 PM
With presumably Texas the winner of the Big XII, the Fiesta Bowl is not contractually bound to take the 2nd place team in the Big XII. I do believe they have either 1st or 2nd pick of the remaining teams not bound to another bowl.

Oh.. I believe USC gets to a BCS bowl game.

4th place team in the SEC will end up in the Cotton Bowl this year...

Bama and Florida to BCS bowls.

Capital One bowl gets next SEC team. Presumably LSU..

Then. .the Cotton... What dog is left in the SEC? This year's version of Missouri.. a/ka Ole Miss? Allbarn? Tennessee?

sooner ngintunr
11/1/2009, 05:58 PM

:rolleyes:

11/1/2009, 06:36 PM
Why not? It has happened before.Last yr it happened with TX, but, they only had one loss, and this yr we have 3 losses.

yermom
11/1/2009, 07:14 PM
i think we have to be #12 or higher to be BCS eligible

Illinois got in at 9-3 in 2007, but that was the Rose Bowl being dumb

oudivesherpa
11/1/2009, 07:51 PM
i think we have to be #12 or higher to be BCS eligible

Illinois got in at 9-3 in 2007, but that was the Rose Bowl being dumb

The Rpse Bowl is hung up on the tradition of PAC 10 v. Big 10, but that doesn't always happen, but usually the only way the "Grandady of all Bowls" pass on the tradition is if one of the teams is in the NC game.

The Bowls, especially the Rose Bowl, is one of the biggest raod block to a National Championship playoff system.

SPuL
11/1/2009, 08:38 PM
yo how did we get in the Rose Bowl against Washington State? (year after Miami won it I believe. 2002 maybe?)

JLEW1818
11/1/2009, 08:41 PM
horns lost in the big 12 championship

so Nebraska went to the National Title

and Colorado who beat texas in the big 12 championship went to a BCS bowl (automatic)

Nebraska didn't even play for the big 12 championship and went to the national championship

bluedogok
11/1/2009, 08:43 PM
The Orange Bowl enacted a "one time" exemption that allowed them to pair USC and Iowa and bumping the Rose Bowls pick. After the OB took the teams that the Rose Bowl wanted they took Washington State as the traditional Pac 10 pick and begrudgingly took OU as the best available option. Pretty much the same way Texas ended up there against Michigan in 2004 when USC went to the championship game.

The Rose Bowl committee was pissed about that and threatened to pull out at the next negotiations, so that exemption (or whatever they called it) does not exist anymore.

sooneron
11/1/2009, 08:45 PM
yo how did we get in the Rose Bowl against Washington State? (year after Miami won it I believe. 2002 maybe?)

The orange had first pick that year and chose iowa in a match up with usc.

John Kochtoston
11/1/2009, 08:46 PM
Lid is correct in that the Fiesta Bowl does not have to take a Big 12 team to replace Texas, if Texas is in the BCS Game.
The Fiesta Bowl will get the first replacement choice if Texas is No. 1 in the BCS, the second if Texas is No. 2.
OU, or anyone else, is BCS eligible with nine or more wins. BCS Rankings only come into play in determining the BCS Championship game teams, and to determine if a non-automatic qualifying conference team must be taken.

EDIT: Apparently, a BCS-eligible team must be in the BCS Top 14 if it doesn't qualify automatically. http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/eligibility

My personal opinion on how it will shake out:

BCS Game: 'Bama v. Texas
Orange: GA Tech v. USC (if they pick ahead of the Sugar Bowl for the second team)
Sugar: Florida v. Cincinnati (Slot USC here if the Sugar gets to pick its second team before the Orange)
Fiesta: Notre Dame v. Boise State (maybe TCU)
Rose: Oregon v. Iowa.

JLEW1818
11/1/2009, 08:47 PM
The reason why we went to the Rose Bowl in 02-03 is b/c the Fiesta bowl was the national title game that year, and there were only 4 BCS bowls at the time, not 5

John Kochtoston
11/1/2009, 08:53 PM
The Orange Bowl enacted a "one time" exemption that allowed them to pair USC and Iowa and bumping the Rose Bowls pick. After the OB took the teams that the Rose Bowl wanted they took Washington State as the traditional Pac 10 pick and begrudgingly took OU as the best available option. Pretty much the same way Texas ended up there against Michigan in 2004 when USC went to the championship game.

The Rose Bowl committee was pissed about that and threatened to pull out at the next negotiations, so that exemption (or whatever they called it) does not exist anymore.

This. The Rose Bowl blamed OU for the poor gate in the 2003 game, conveniently ignoring the fact OU sold its entire ticket allotment and about 1/2 of Wassu's. Fact is, Rose Bowl ticket sales always suck if there is no California team in the game, because there are no walk-up sales.

bluedogok
11/1/2009, 09:07 PM
The committee did come out later and whine about Washington State not turning their unsold tickets back until the last minute, which WSU did because they knew the OU people would snap them up. If OU would have played one of the traditional Big 10 teams like Michigan or Ohio State, it would have been a full house like it was for UT-Michigan. Washington State was not at the same level of those teams and has never had the following even when they were at their best.

As John above stated, unless it is a California team in the game there will be no locals going to the game.

Sooner_Rog
11/1/2009, 10:38 PM
OU vs Arizona in Holiday, what are the chances?

sendbaht
11/1/2009, 11:36 PM
"OU vs Arizona in Holiday, what are the chances?"

Coach Stoops would win for sure.

silverwheels
11/1/2009, 11:40 PM
If we win out, we're probably going to the Cotton Bowl, assuming that the North champ will have 4 or 5 losses at the time of the bowl selections. OSU to the Holiday (if they only lose to us), North champ to the Alamo if that happens.

JLEW1818
11/1/2009, 11:49 PM
if we win out Cotton for sure

unless some how the north beats texas in the b12 cg

which will still probably mean Cotton

b/c the big 12 champ would go from the north, and texas would still get an at large bcs

and we would still be in Cotton

proudsoonergal
11/2/2009, 12:54 AM
if we win out Cotton for sure

unless some how the north beats texas in the b12 cg

which will still probably mean Cotton

b/c the big 12 champ would go from the north, and texas would still get an at large bcs

and we would still be in Cotton

So... you think Cotton?

:rolleyes:

JLEW1818
11/2/2009, 12:57 AM
word cotton

SGT Park3R
11/2/2009, 02:54 AM
With presumably Texas the winner of the Big XII, the Fiesta Bowl is not contractually bound to take the 2nd place team in the Big XII. I do believe they have either 1st or 2nd pick of the remaining teams not bound to another bowl.

4th place team in the SEC will end up in the Cotton Bowl this year...

Bama and Florida to BCS bowls.

Capital One bowl gets next SEC team. Presumably LSU..

Then. .the Cotton... What dog is left in the SEC? This year's version of Missouri.. a/ka Ole Miss? Allbarn? Tennessee?

Ewww. Don't really want us to play Tennessee. I've watched 3 of their games this year and that 'D' is awesome.

I'd like to see Landry work on his game in the offseason instead of recovering from an injury from Tennessee's D. JMO.

11/2/2009, 10:02 AM
Ewww. Don't really want us to play Tennessee. I've watched 3 of their games this year and that 'D' is awesome.

I'd like to see Landry work on his game in the offseason instead of recovering from an injury from Tennessee's D. JMO.I would NOT want to play them right now, either. We would need a new OC to be able to beat them.