PDA

View Full Version : BCS chances

kevpks
11/1/2009, 09:15 AM
I know the chances are slim, but humor me. What has to happen for us to get in the discussion for an at-large BCS bid? Here is a rudimentary breakdown but I look forward to other perspectives.

10 spots
6 conference champs

Contenders for 4 at-large spots:
1) SEC runner-up (pretty much a lock)
2) TCU or Boise (not both IMO)
3) and 4) (Penn St., Miami, USC, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Notre Dame)

the_sooners_abide
11/1/2009, 09:17 AM
I put our chances as 0% for a BCS bowl, 50% chance of the Cotton Bowl, and 50% chance for the Holiday Bowl. The only 3-loss (or more) team that makes a BCS bowl is Notre Dame.

budbarrybob
11/1/2009, 09:18 AM
No chance. 3 loss OU vs either TCU or Boise. I need some of what u had last night.

Crucifax Autumn
11/1/2009, 09:22 AM
We can always hope Boise blows a game they oughtta win. And texass is more than well-known for blowing games they should win.

IronHorseSooner
11/1/2009, 09:38 AM
Beat OSU, which we should, and we are lock for the Cotton Bowl. The match up would be us v. the loser between LSU and Bama (which should be LSU). OU v. LSU would be the best non-BCS game in the land. Right now, this is what I would have:

MNC: FLA v. *
Rose: Iowa v. UO
Sugar: Bama v. PSU
Fiesta: TCU v. Boise (I think that they will get in due to the win over UO)
Orange: GA Tech v. Cincy

TXBOOMER
11/1/2009, 10:25 AM
Beat OSU, which we should, and we are lock for the Cotton Bowl. The match up would be us v. the loser between LSU and Bama (which should be LSU). OU v. LSU would be the best non-BCS game in the land. Right now, this is what I would have:

Why would we not be going to the Holiday Bowl? I would much rather play in the Cotton because I would actually go to the game.

TXBOOMER
11/1/2009, 10:26 AM
Oh and no way Iowa will beat THEosu.

kevpks
11/1/2009, 11:07 AM
No chance. 3 loss OU vs either TCU or Boise. I need some of what u had last night.

A 3 loss Illinois got the Rose Bowl a few years ago. Granted that is largely because the Rose Bowl insists on the whole Big 10/Pac-10 thing. However, once a BCS bowl follows all of the rules regarding who HAS to go, they can pick who they want from the remaining contenders. If you think the Fiesta Bowl would rather have a two loss Georgia Tech or Pitt over a three loss OU I would like to have what YOU are smoking.

Eielson
11/1/2009, 11:22 AM
If Texas goes to the National Championship game, isn't another Big XII team REQUIRED to go to the BCS? I really don't understand all the negativity here. Even if a second team weren't required, I think everybody knows we lost those three games by a total of five points, and had our heisman trophy winner go down. Not to mention that those were all early season losses, and if that is all we end up with, they won't look at it as so bad.

Obviously we have to win out for this discussion to matter, but to say our chances are 0% or even close is just nonsense.

StanberryWasIn
11/1/2009, 11:45 AM
If Texas goes to the National Championship game, isn't another Big XII team REQUIRED to go to the BCS?

No.

Curly Bill
11/1/2009, 11:55 AM
If we did manage to get into a BCS bowl, for the first time ever I might support destruction of the BCS and implementation of some kind of playoff.

In other words: in no way do we deserve a BCS bowl bid this year.

sooner ngintunr
11/1/2009, 12:21 PM
In other words: in no way do we deserve a BCS bowl bid this year.

for sure.

soonermix
11/1/2009, 12:45 PM
our chances of making a bcs bowl game are as good as texas losing 2 games

Eielson
11/1/2009, 01:12 PM
After take a deeper look at this, we don't actually have much of a chance. Regardless, I think that by the end of the season we will be playing like a better team than most of the teams that did make it.

IronHorseSooner
11/1/2009, 02:07 PM
We will be that dreaded "team that nobody wants to play right now." Little chance to make a BCS bowl. Teams would have to start dropping like flies, and we have only one game left with a team ranked ahead of us. 9-3 and going to play LSU with a chance of a 10th win would be great considering all that has happened this year.

prrriiide
11/1/2009, 02:09 PM

Unless OU could play USC in the Holiday Bowl. THAT would be an innerestin' match-up.

Collier11
11/1/2009, 02:10 PM
We basically have one shot of making the BCS now with ut beating the snot out of osu.

We have to win out, hope(blaht) that ut makes the title game, and have a few teams lose.

If we could pass usc in the polls it would be nice cus like it or not they will still be up for an at large bid, if one or both of the mid majors could lose that would be great. The SEC will likely get two bids barring some major upset so who knows.

The way I see it you have

ut-natl title game
Sec winner- natl title game
sec runner up
boise and tcu
acc champ
big east champ
big ten champ
pac 10 champ

Then you have OU if we win out
Big ten runner up
Big east runner up
Pac 10 runner up

Those would be the 4 teams up for the final spot unless I am forgetting someone?

JLEW1818
11/1/2009, 07:03 PM
to get to a BCS bowl, u must win 9 games i think

OUTrumpet
11/1/2009, 07:08 PM
to get to a BCS bowl, u must win 9 games i think

FSU played in the Sugar Bowl with only 7 wins.

JLEW1818
11/1/2009, 07:16 PM
was it a BCS bowl at the time?

yermom
11/1/2009, 07:21 PM
FSU played in the Sugar Bowl with only 7 wins.

they won the ACC

JLEW1818
11/1/2009, 07:23 PM
yep

automatic bid

9 for an at-large ( to get considered)

Sooner98
11/1/2009, 07:26 PM
We will be that dreaded "team that nobody wants to play right now."

If my team was matched up with OU in a bowl game, I would be ecstatic.

pappy
11/1/2009, 08:44 PM
The only way we go to a BCS bowl is if texas chokes like they have done in the past (don't see it happening this year) and loses 2 games and we win out and go to the big 12 championship game and win it...otherwise its holiday or cotton.

BoulderSooner79
11/1/2009, 09:48 PM
Heck, I'll be cheering when we become bowl eligible.

I'll paraphrase the old Jim Mora postgame interview:

BCS? Don't talk about BCS. Are you kiddin' me - BCS? I'm just hoping we can win any bowl game.

TahoeSOONER
11/1/2009, 09:58 PM
LSwho or uSuCk please

Sooner_Rog
11/1/2009, 10:24 PM
I am being selfish, but my vote is for the holiday bowl... My boys 10 & 7 could witness their 1st OU game in person. We live 7-8 hrs up here in central Cali. OU vs UO/USC or better yet Arizona vs OU would be nice. Bob vs Mike, think of the possible draw tv/crowd etc....

Sooner70
11/2/2009, 07:35 AM
There's probably too many other Top 10 contenders for OU to get serious at large BCS consideration...TCU, Cincy, Boise State.....

Crucifax Autumn
11/2/2009, 07:49 AM
I'll just kick back and hope EVERYONE but us loses some games they shouldn't