PDA

View Full Version : unsportsmanlike penalty ???

ouwapiti
11/1/2009, 08:57 AM
what was the unsportsmanlike penalty that resulted in the first and 45????...they never said for sure or showed it on FSN.....

sooner518
11/1/2009, 08:59 AM
no idea. I was sitting in the stadium and saw nothing.

kevpks
11/1/2009, 09:02 AM
Was it for Broyles little high step as he went into the endzone? It wasn't excessive but it was all I could see that could have been it. Of course, Dave Lapham was no help explaining what was going on.

Crucifax Autumn
11/1/2009, 09:02 AM
Refs just felt like throwing a flag to keep up their "big 12 officials bad call" quota.

iwannabelikesam
11/1/2009, 09:07 AM
Was it for Broyles little high step as he went into the endzone? It wasn't excessive but it was all I could see that could have been it. Of course, Dave Lapham was no help explaining what was going on.

Yeah, I think it was for Broyles doing a little dance into the endzone. Very weak call.

SoonerLB
11/1/2009, 09:24 AM
Refs just felt like throwing a flag to keep up their "big 12 officials bad call" quota.

Yessir! :D

Flying Scotsman
11/1/2009, 09:30 AM
I believe it was for a chop block upfield on one of the lineman.

IronHorseSooner
11/1/2009, 09:41 AM
There was a hold, I think on a receiver down the field. The 15-yarder was because of Broyles high-step. It was ironic that he made the play to pick up the first down.

rawlingsHOH
11/1/2009, 09:52 AM

No, because then it would have either have been that OR the hold.

It was a dead ball penalty.

Judge Smails
11/1/2009, 10:00 AM
Broyles was doing a little dance and shaking the football as he hit the ten yard line. Wouldn't have hurt so much if it hadn't been called back.

Flagstaffsooner
11/1/2009, 10:03 AM
Refs just felt like throwing a flag to keep up their "big 12 officials bad call" quota.Zing!!!

ouwapiti
11/1/2009, 10:18 AM
i figured it was on broyles.....wonder when he's going to learn???...why not just run in the endzone, pitch the ball to the referee and celebrate on the sideline instead of hurting your team by hotdogging it....maybe mangino needs to have a 'talk' with him!!!!

Sooner Eclipse
11/1/2009, 10:47 AM
it was a live ball hold penalty. Then on top, they added the dead ball personal foul for the "taunting".

Eielson
11/1/2009, 10:55 AM

It would have had to been in the backfield, because we lost 35 yards. I think there might have been a real weak holding call they could have made on Trent Williams.

oudivesherpa
11/1/2009, 10:56 AM

Yeah, but they have to compete with the SEC Refs.

Sooner Eclipse
11/1/2009, 11:39 AM
It would have had to been in the backfield, because we lost 35 yards. I think there might have been a real weak holding call they could have made on Trent Williams.

It was 1st and 20 because of a hold on the previous play. Broyles scored on the next play. That play had a live ball hold and a dead ball PF called for 25 yds total = 1st and 45.

I Am Right
11/1/2009, 11:56 AM

Nope, unsportsman like conduct. 15 yards, after the holding penalty, 10 yrds

HolaKyle
11/1/2009, 12:22 PM
The official said "after the play" when they called this penalty, which Broyles' little move was during the play. I'm confused?

Jacie
11/1/2009, 12:24 PM
If the idea was that the refs were punishing the Sooners, the ploy backfired. Over 100 yards of offense on a 65-yard drive!

VMG
11/1/2009, 02:10 PM
Saw it up close right in front of me -- my seats are 15 rows up in the NW corner of the endzone. US conduct penalty was on Broyles after he crossed the goal line -- which made it a dead ball foul tacked on to the holding penalty. As someone above said, twas 1st and 20 before that play -- do the math.

bluedogok
11/1/2009, 02:15 PM
They never did call one on the KSU linebacker (who needed to buy a vowel for his name) who stood over and pumped his fist in the face of the OU player after every tackle he made.

Sooner Eclipse
11/1/2009, 02:24 PM
Saw it up close right in front of me -- my seats are 15 rows up in the NW corner of the endzone. US conduct penalty was on Broyles after he crossed the goal line -- which made it a dead ball foul tacked on to the holding penalty. As someone above said, twas 1st and 20 before that play -- do the math.

What was your opinion of the foul? Justified? I don't think Broyles said anything so it must have been because of the change in stride just before crossing the goalline. On the replay you can see the closest ref signal TD and then you see the line judge (i think) run up behind him and throw the flag.
If the ref closest to, and watching the action didn't call it, why did the Ahole behind him do it.

They never did call one on the KSU linebacker (who needed to buy a vowel for his name) who stood over and pumped his fist in the face of the OU player after every tackle he made.

Given the minor offense Broyles got called on, this was pissing me off as well.

Leroy Lizard
11/1/2009, 03:10 PM
If it had been a KSU player high-stepping into the end zone, what would we think about the call? Honestly, I would say that we got lucky, and if I was Stoops I would be pissed. So I really don't think the call was justified, but the way to cure the problem is to tell players not to high step into the end zone.

If the ref closest to, and watching the action didn't call it, why did the Ahole behind him do it.

Or, you could ask why the ref closest to it didn't. It's a subjective call.

This was not a phantom call. Broyles did taunt. Would I have pulled the flag? No. But there are those that will. And so you need to always behave as if someone on the officiating crew has an itchy trigger finger. And if one does, and you prance around on the field and get penalized, you only yourself to blame.

Collier11
11/1/2009, 03:11 PM
What Broyles did was not taunting, at worst it may have been an individual celebration.

bluedogok
11/1/2009, 03:19 PM
If it had been a KSU player high-stepping into the end zone, what would we think about the call? Honestly, I would say that we got lucky, and if I was Stoops I would be pissed. So I really don't think the call was justified, but the way to cure the problem is to tell players not to high step into the end zone.

Or, you could ask why the ref closest to it didn't. It's a subjective call.

This was not a phantom call. Broyles did taunt. Would I have pulled the flag? No. But there are those that will. And so you need to always behave as if someone on the officiating crew has an itchy trigger finger. And if one does, and you prance around on the field and get penalized, you only yourself to blame.
IF they're going to call piddly stuff like that, all I ask is they call it both ways. The KSU linebacker was much more demonstrative in his multiple celebrations than Broyles, if you are going to call that against Broyles you should call it against the KSU linebacker as well.

BoulderSooner79
11/1/2009, 03:32 PM
I hope they do something about the anti-celebration rule. The refs stalk the players with the resolve of a bloodhound after every TD. As noted above, they don't apply the rule the same on non-scoring plays and they let defenders get away with a fair amount of taunting. It's a game of passion and on some plays you can see the players just can't contain their joy - the Jake Locker play was a perfect example last year. Now it seems the players do a little protest against the rule by holding the ball and celebrating in the endzone until the ref is just about to pull the flag and then give up the ball. It's a tough call because if the rule is relaxed, there will be those that go too far, but it's ridiculous the way it is now.

rawlingsHOH
11/1/2009, 03:33 PM

Yep, he pushed the line literally every play he made. I'm shocked they didn't flag him at all.

A-M
11/1/2009, 03:34 PM
IF they're going to call piddly stuff like that, all I ask is they call it both ways. The KSU linebacker was much more demonstrative in his multiple celebrations than Broyles, if you are going to call that against Broyles you should call it against the KSU linebacker as well.

Yes, you should. However, Neither you nor I wear the black and while strip shirt so what we think really doesn't count.

stoopified
11/1/2009, 04:10 PM
Yes, you should. However, Neither you nor I wear the black and while strip shirt so what we think really doesn't count.I wear black while stripping all the time. :D

The most important thing on that sequence is we OVERCAME it and scored.I would like to have seen holdong penalties enforced on KSU as weall as the taunting ones.They nearly Strangled GK at least twice with no call.

CarolinaSoonerFan
11/1/2009, 05:18 PM
How about the delay of game that was not called on KSU on the TD they made before the return TD??? What is the play clock goes to 0 and then you get another sec before there is a flag?

VMG
11/1/2009, 05:41 PM
My opinion then and now is that it was total nit-picking BS on the part of the zebra.

thesnowbishop
11/1/2009, 08:18 PM
How about the delay of game that was not called on KSU on the TD they made before the return TD??? What is the play clock goes to 0 and then you get another sec before there is a flag?

Agreed, I was in the stadium, and thought I couldn't have been dreaming. I thought the clock went to zero prior to the snap.

Leroy Lizard
11/2/2009, 02:55 AM
I'm not sure the stadium clock is the official clock. I think the refs have their own timers.

I hope they do something about the anti-celebration rule. The refs stalk the players with the resolve of a bloodhound after every TD. As noted above, they don't apply the rule the same on non-scoring plays and they let defenders get away with a fair amount of taunting. It's a game of passion and on some plays you can see the players just can't contain their joy - the Jake Locker play was a perfect example last year. Now it seems the players do a little protest against the rule by holding the ball and celebrating in the endzone until the ref is just about to pull the flag and then give up the ball. It's a tough call because if the rule is relaxed, there will be those that go too far, but it's ridiculous the way it is now.

What do you suggest the NCAA do? Just allow players to act like complete jackasses?

It's the players' fault. For some reason, players feel they need to act this way after a good play. They need to learn self-control.

SGT Park3R
11/2/2009, 03:04 AM
Every team gets penalties but it seems we get ours at the worse possible time. Why is that?

bri
11/2/2009, 03:13 AM
I'm not sure the stadium clock is the official clock. I think the refs have their own timers.

The stadium game and play clocks are the official time. In the event of a clock malfunction, the refs keep time on the field, but that's only a last resort.

ouwapiti
11/2/2009, 08:27 AM

What do you suggest the NCAA do? Just allow players to act like complete jackasses?

It's the players' fault. For some reason, players feel they need to act this way after a good play. They need to learn self-control.

in my best sam kinison impression.....'i like the way you think'

westbrooke
11/2/2009, 09:42 AM

I think they're suggesting the NCAA coach their refs to use their discretionary powers better. I didn't get to see the KSU game, so I can't comment on what Broyles did. But what Jake Locker did last year should not have been punished. What AJ Green did in the Georgia-LSU game should not have been punished. What Charles Scott did in that same game just minutes later should not have been punished.

No one wants players to act like jackasses, but it is unrealistic to pretend that players should not be happy or show emotion of any kind after a big play. There's a line between the two, and the suggestions you've seen are for that line to be policed better.

Jello Biafra
11/2/2009, 09:59 AM

i dont think it really about allowing kids to act like complete jackasses, i think its about allowing some lattitude. it is a refs call or lack of call that could potentially change the game in the opponents favor. the referee has a responsibility to be part of the feild, NOT THE GAME.

do YOU know what its like to be a 20 year old, your team's back against the wall with 20 yards to go till a first down. you're an undersized, underclassman, whose been hurt a good portion of the season...your offense hasnt been playing well as of late and you've just gotten a screen across the middle of the feild that you take to the house. now add all of this together and see if you can keep the emotions bottled up. although it was uneccessary, i have seen worse this year and i have seen worse non calls in the KSU game.

leroy....surely you can remember back to the age of 20

gaylordfan1
11/2/2009, 10:41 AM
Nope, unsportsman like conduct. 15 yards, after the holding penalty, 10 yrds

This man is right!

fossil
11/2/2009, 10:49 AM

Remember what Emmett Smith used to do after every single touchdown he made. He would go directly to the nearest official and hand them the ball. That's the rule I'd establish and enforce on the team if I had the power to do it. It's OK to be happy about scoring, but do the damned celebration AFTER you leave the field and get to your bench. No excuse for EVAR getting a penalty for something like that.

Collier11
11/2/2009, 10:52 AM
Leroy,
I know you are an old curmudgeon but even you can understand that football is a highly emotional sport. If you make a great play, as long as you arent taunting or showing up the other team (which Broyles was not) the refs need to chill out.

Notice it is called on offensive players but not everytime a D player makes a basic tackle and does some rediculous celebration (this is the hipocritical NFL mostly)

BoulderSooner79
11/2/2009, 10:56 AM

I guess jackass is in the eye of the beholder. As I said, some players would take it too far, but most just get excited. The example I used of Jake Locker is exactly what I meant - his leap and dropping the ball over shoulder was totally spontaneous and I'll bet he didn't even know he did it. He had just lead a come back to force OT against a ranked team on the road (or so he thought). A.J. Green was flagged for *thinking* about celebrating for all I could tell. At least the SEC slapped the refs for that one, but the game was changed because of that. It's a game of entertainment and the current rule detracts from the entertainment value. The only way I can experience the emotions of the game is to see it. If I wrote the rules, I'd strictly flag taunting, make sure no players leave the bench area and not let any celebration take too much time. I'd still let the refs have leeway to catch those that abuse the rules. But that's just my opinion. BTW, if the ref thought what Broyles did with his high step was taunting, I have no problem with the flag.

Collier11
11/2/2009, 11:06 AM
Thats the only problem Boulder, what 90% of us think is just a kid having fun and being emotional, these old refs think is showing up the integrity of the sport. I dont see it, there is a line and most of these players would never cross it yet they still get flagged. That is why you see some of these rediculous penalties these days, refs react instead of actually paying attention to what just happened

Lott's Bandana
11/2/2009, 11:18 AM
Remember what Emmett Smith used to do after every single touchdown he made. He would go directly to the nearest official and hand them the ball. That's the rule I'd establish and enforce on the team if I had the power to do it. It's OK to be happy about scoring, but do the damned celebration AFTER you leave the field and get to your bench. No excuse for EVAR getting a penalty for something like that.

Fossil, I think you might be confusing Emmitt Smith with Barry Sanders.

BS used to hand the officials the ball when he scored.

Smith kept every ball he scored with, running to the sideline and putting them in a case.

NormanPride
11/2/2009, 11:21 AM
There is no way Broyles should have been penalized for the little shimmy he did after breaking free. He got to the endzone, dropped the ball, and ran to his teammates. That call made me furious, especially considering all the crap that other teams get away with after scoring. Remember Bush's flips he would do EVERY TIME HE SCORED? He never got flagged once.

NormanPride
11/2/2009, 11:27 AM
There is no way Broyles should have been penalized for the little shimmy he did after breaking free. He got to the endzone, dropped the ball, and ran to his teammates. That call made me furious, especially considering all the crap that other teams get away with after scoring. Remember Bush's flips he would do EVERY TIME HE SCORED? He never got flagged once.

ouwapiti
11/2/2009, 11:37 AM
collier, i agree with you on the defensive celebration/antics......ratliff for the cowboys makes me want to puke

homerSimpsonsBrain
11/2/2009, 11:43 AM
I didnt see the big deal but Stoops said he agreed with the call and was "disappointed" with Broyles on the replay show.

homerSimpsonsBrain
11/2/2009, 11:47 AM
The double post gremlin strikes again.

ocsooner
11/2/2009, 12:44 PM

Reggie is a "special" player. He was allowed to do things that nobody else could do - like pushing his QB across the line, flips on the field, condos, payments.

Can't believe you would even bring him up. :D

Jello Biafra
11/2/2009, 12:47 PM
collier, i agree with you on the defensive celebration/antics......ratliff for the cowboys makes me want to puke

the crap texas is allowed to get away with even when they arent at home makes me want to climb a tower in austin....what is with them making the eating motion after making a play?

TMcGee86
11/2/2009, 12:47 PM
That air punch was pissing me right the blank off.

I was hoping Stoops would tell the players to jump up right after getting tackled by that ****** and hopefully his little air punch would have accidentally connected with someones head and we would get 15 yards out of the deal.

Collier11
11/2/2009, 12:53 PM
and a broken knuckle

bluedogok
11/2/2009, 11:06 PM
What we are talking about getting flags now are such small, insignificant displays of exuberance that it is ridiculous to call them, it's not like the 80's Miami team celebration that we are talking about.

MamaMia
11/3/2009, 11:37 AM
The official said "after the play" when they called this penalty, which Broyles' little move was during the play. I'm confused?
I thought it was because he held the ball up in the air. It was such a lame call that there had to be some referee bias going on, no matter how you look at it.

TheUnnamedSooner
11/3/2009, 12:25 PM
I was in the NW endzone as well. The flag didn't come until he hugged one of his teamates. It was a stupid call IMO.

Leroy Lizard
11/3/2009, 12:44 PM
I know you are an old curmudgeon but even you can understand that football is a highly emotional sport. If you make a great play, as long as you arent taunting or showing up the other team (which Broyles was not) the refs need to chill out.

I watched the 1971 game recently and didn't see anything that would get flagged. If they could do it then, they can do it now.

Self-control is an important life skill because it is not always a good thing to display your excitement in front of others, especially opponents. So coaches need to teach this to their players and the players need to learn it.

When you score, you hand the referee the ball. Then you go to the sideline. If you want to display excitement on the sideline, fine. But the rule is: Do not rub your good fortune in the noses of your opponents. It is unsportsmanlike, and I have no problem with a ref throwing a flag on it.

Now, the KSU player should have been flagged as well. I agree on that point.

Crucifax Autumn
11/3/2009, 12:48 PM
Doesn't matter to me so much as long as it's consistent in all games, all teams, and all officials.