Rushing plays: 3
Passing plays: 4

THIRD QUARTER
Rushing plays: 2
Passing plays: 3

FOURTH QUARTER
Rushing plays: 5
Passing plays: 4

I have heard it said that KW always rushes on first down, then passes on the ensuing second down and third down.

That happened four times tonight. Result? Three first downs and a TD.

So where is all this predictability everone is talking about?

SOONER44EVER
11/1/2009, 02:18 AM
See the BYU, Miami and Texas games. :D

Leroy Lizard
11/1/2009, 02:20 AM
Okay, so what's the prediction for those three games?

SOONER44EVER
11/1/2009, 02:27 AM
Okay, so what's the prediction for those three games?

Predictability.

Curly Bill
11/1/2009, 02:31 AM
KW against good teams equals no nuttz.

KW against bad/mediocre teams equals offensive guru.

SOONER44EVER
11/1/2009, 02:32 AM

EXACTLY!

Curly Bill
11/1/2009, 02:35 AM
I'm actually surprised KW didn't totally nut-up when Kstate made a game of it.

Leroy Lizard
11/1/2009, 02:46 AM
So, you are saying that against good teams he does what?

Fourth quarter, BYU: 6 rushes, 8 passes.

Is that the type of predictability we are talking about?

gaylordfan1
11/1/2009, 02:53 AM
Well, all valid points.... But it does make a difference in a game when there is help from the WR corps. Leroy, see if you can pull the stats of how OU played when we caught more than 50% of the passes thrown. I'm just saying our offense does much better when we have a passing game to assist the running game!

TopDawg
11/1/2009, 03:01 AM
OU's up 21-0 in the 2nd quarter against K-State, has just forced another punt and has all of the momentum.

On our first play, we run a safe pass play and pick up a first down. On the next play we "throw the ball down the field" on first down, it's broken up and two plays later we're sending our punt team out there for the first time all game. On the ensuing drive, KSU begins a 23-7 run.

The call to throw the ball down the field was a good one...we had Tennell behind their defense. But the throw was a poor one, and the DB was able to make a play on it. Just makes me wonder if sometimes KW would like to be more aggressive but figures discretion is the better part of valor.

Leroy Lizard
11/1/2009, 03:02 AM
I'm actually surprised KW didn't totally nut-up when Kstate made a game of it.

It seems that way because we won. If KSU had somehow won on a few miracle plays, everyone would be saying that we lost because KW nutted up. It's always that way with armchair quarterbacking.

gaylordfan1
11/1/2009, 03:13 AM
OU's up 21-0 in the 2nd quarter against K-State, has just forced another punt and has all of the momentum.

On our first play, we run a safe pass play and pick up a first down. On the next play we "throw the ball down the field" on first down, it's broken up and two plays later we're sending our punt team out there for the first time all game. On the ensuing drive, KSU begins a 23-7 run.

The call to throw the ball down the field was a good one...we had Tennell behind their defense. But the throw was a poor one, and the DB was able to make a play on it. Just makes me wonder if sometimes KW would like to be more aggressive but figures discretion is the better part of valor.

I thought it was a good time to see how the long ball would work.... to see if a WR would step up or if Landry could make it.

Landry is almost there man.... The long ball should have been there, just a few inches too short. Give the kid some time. Thats is like his 3rd-4th pass greater than 20 yards. He just needs some game experience timing. It will come. He is no J. White or Bradford with that long ball. But maybe, maybe, he will soon learn that touch.

Crucifax Autumn
11/1/2009, 03:59 AM
I thought his touch was perfectly acceptable...it was the receivers who need some damned touch on the long ball.

TopDawg
11/1/2009, 03:59 AM
There's no doubt in my mind. I didn't mean that as a knock against Landry...it was actually a decent throw, just a hair too short and a great play by the DB. I was just throwing in another perspective about the play-calling.

Crucifax Autumn
11/1/2009, 04:12 AM
Of course. The play-calling was interesting, but I seriously doubt Wilson expected the "post mental block" Tenell to screw up just because the pass was slightly off...Broyles seems to do just fine on the slightly off passes and so does Caleb and the rest of them at this point in the season.

Shat turned ugly for a bit, but I DO think that going deep from time to time actually led to our victory despite the fact that the attempts were unsuccessful. Kinda like what I said a few days back about how just the very THREAT of Murray hitting the corner, no matter how many times it doesn't work out, keeps the defenses watching for it and thus keeps them unable to clog up the middle as much as they do when Brown is in the game. Luckily that also backfies on the D since Brown does sometimes manage to break through a stacked D.

Leroy Lizard
11/1/2009, 04:30 AM
I remember when Switzer's teams would go deep. There was little chance of success, but it keeps the defense on its toes.

And there were some games in which we didn't throw at all.

VA Sooner
11/1/2009, 08:19 AM
Offense saved defense last night. Defense came through with the final drive but damn that was close. And we were favored at home by 26.

OUHOMER
11/1/2009, 10:06 AM
So where is all this predictability everyone is talking about?

How many passes have we thrown from under center this year, 4 maybe 5 times. I would say when Landry goes under center put 9 people in the box.:cool:

thatmediadude
11/1/2009, 10:08 AM

PERFECT QUOTE!

tulsaoilerfan
11/1/2009, 10:16 AM

The biggest problem i have with KW is he sticks with the run even if it's not working; we have struggled mightily in the 3 losses to run the ball but he kept pounding it in; i don't mind running IF it's working, but quit pounding your head against the wall when it's not there

mightysooner
11/1/2009, 11:18 AM
EXACTLY!

X3

mightysooner
11/1/2009, 11:20 AM
I thought his touch was perfectly acceptable...it was the receivers who need some damned touch on the long ball.

Agree with this. Landry's deep ball is perfectly catchable. Our WR's need to be more physical in making adjustments to the ball once it's airborn. That goes for intermediate routes as well. I think they'll get there.

Soonerman08
11/1/2009, 12:14 PM
It seems that way because we won. If KSU had somehow won on a few miracle plays, everyone would be saying that we lost because KW nutted up. It's always that way with armchair quarterbacking.

Is that you Kevin Wilson? :D

You can't deny that he totally folded with playcalling against Miami and Texas. BYU loss I can pin on losing Sam, and it is difficult to throw a green quarterback into a game. The Texas loss, Wilson was pretty predictable in that game too, and factor in poor preparation. Screen after screen into the flats and go figure Muschamp caught on to that. The one thing I criticize Wilson the most are his schemes for running plays. Very little to no option at all. We installed the two back set/misdirection plays against Tulsa. (Why not against Texas, or Miami to keep them guessing????)

He is a decent coordinator, but facing some top competition his record speaks for itself. Could be because of his Big 10 roots.

bluedogok
11/1/2009, 03:04 PM
Offense wasn't the issue last night, especially when you consider how much has been lost since August. Some of the offensive tendencies to me may be dictated by Stoops, he seems to be more of a "Big 10 guy" than Wilson was when he was at Northwestern. Wilson ran a different offense at Northwestern than OU runs now.

The defense getting blown up last night from the second quarter on is more of a concern to me.

ashley
11/1/2009, 03:42 PM

No kidding. It is easy from the stands or the living room after the play. Amazing because it comes from guys that never called a play.

A-M
11/1/2009, 03:58 PM
Offense wasn't the issue last night, especially when you consider how much has been lost since August. Some of the offensive tendencies to me may be dictated by Stoops, he seems to be more of a "Big 10 guy" than Wilson was when he was at Northwestern. Wilson ran a different offense at Northwestern than OU runs now.

The defense getting blown up last night from the second quarter on is more of a concern to me.

On TV, they talked about our D being the best OU has had since the 2001 D. If they were any worse in the last 3 quarters last night, we would have lost that game. What happened to them after the 1st. quarter? :confused:

Curly Bill
11/1/2009, 11:06 PM
No kidding. It is easy from the stands or the living room after the play. Amazing because it comes from guys that never called a play.

...and then there's the peeps like me that have. :P

ashley
11/2/2009, 07:57 AM
...and then there's the peeps like me that have. :P

I doubt it. If you had you would know how difficult it is. You would still be in coaching if you had been any good at it.

Crucifax Autumn
11/2/2009, 08:14 AM
Any possibility you've both coached and just have different perspectives on things?

TheHumanAlphabet
11/2/2009, 10:24 AM

Thank you!

C&CDean
11/2/2009, 10:30 AM
Man we've got some stupid fans.

NormanPride
11/2/2009, 10:32 AM
No kidding, Deano. Venerables is the one to blame for this loss. DUH.

Curly Bill
11/2/2009, 07:57 PM
I doubt it. If you had you would know how difficult it is. You would still be in coaching if you had been any good at it.

Here's where you're a dumas, because I still am.

...but hey gramps: tell us about the ol split 6 defense again will ya. :P :rolleyes:

Isn't that how you prefaced one of your questions to me? With the split 6 as your example? I mean the split 6? Seriously?

ashley
11/2/2009, 08:28 PM
Here's where you're a dumas, because I still am.

...but hey gramps: tell us about the ol split 6 defense again will ya. :P :rolleyes:

Isn't that how you prefaced one of your questions to me? With the split 6 as your example? I mean the split 6? Seriously?

If you knew anything you would know that lot of people run the split stack. Please tell us the the truth. You once said you no longer coach and now you say you do. With the time you spend on this site you must be coaching pee wee ball. How in the world could you think you know more than the OU coaches with your experience? Dumas doesn't even come close to describing your knowledge. You are an expert on offense and defense. WOW

Leroy Lizard
11/2/2009, 10:01 PM
With the time you spend on this site you must be coaching pee wee ball. How in the world could you think you know more than the OU coaches with your experience?

That's easy: He's a fan.

Curly Bill
11/2/2009, 10:50 PM
If you knew anything you would know that lot of people run the split stack. Please tell us the the truth. You once said you no longer coach and now you say you do. With the time you spend on this site you must be coaching pee wee ball. How in the world could you think you know more than the OU coaches with your experience? Dumas doesn't even come close to describing your knowledge. You are an expert on offense and defense. WOW

Aw come on gramps, feelers hurt much? :P

Tell us about your experience at installing the single wing when that was new.

Curly Bill
11/2/2009, 11:04 PM
Hey Gramps,

Truth is I didn't coach football last year or this year. I gotta say I didn't enjoy coaching football all that much. If you did it for 35 years you're either a glutton for punishment, or aren't smart enough to know better. I won't even hazard a guess as to which it is. :D

Coaching B-ball agrees with me much better, and it gives me more time to be critical of those that still are coaching football. :D

Oh, and coached here in Texas at the varsity level from the 1-A to the 4-A level, very little of that was junior high (years ago), and I've never even see a pee wee game, a little on coached in one.

Now, tell me about what it was like when the wishbone was new and all the rage. :P

Stitch Face
11/2/2009, 11:09 PM

Exactly. Our opponents know he's going to run it about half the time and throw it half the time. See, too predictable.

Now, if he were to come out and, say, throw it on every single down it would totally catch them off guard. They'd be all like "where's the rushes?" and then we'd throw the ball into the endzone for a touchdown, and they'd be all like "wha-?!"

I could totally coach this game.

Curly Bill
11/2/2009, 11:16 PM
Coaching football is in fact not rocket science. Most anyone, if willing to devote the time to the game could do it. Yeah there are those that seem to have a knack for it, or are better motivators, or better organizers, or whatever, but understanding the game itself is just not terribly hard.

That's why it amuses me to pick at those that think, or try to act like there's some secret fount of knowledge that those that coach the game are able to tap into that a mere mortal has no access too.

Leroy Lizard
11/3/2009, 03:59 AM
Someone call Bob Stoops. We have our new offensive coordinator. The great thing is that no one will ever be able to second guess any of his calls because the defense will be faked out of its jock on every play. (Can't be predictable.) When he calls any play, you can bet it will gain big yardage. (Otherwise it was a bad call, and he doesn't make bad calls.)

Leroy Lizard
11/3/2009, 04:02 AM
Truth is I didn't coach football last year or this year. I gotta say I didn't enjoy coaching football all that much. If you did it for 35 years you're either a glutton for punishment, or aren't smart enough to know better. I won't even hazard a guess as to which it is.

Coaching B-ball agrees with me much better, and it gives me more time to be critical of those that still are coaching football.

So when you weren't coaching football, you were coaching basketball? Wow, you must have coached at a major powerhouse there. Did you win any Coach of the Month awards? :D

Crucifax Autumn
11/3/2009, 04:14 AM
He won coach of the Millennium 3 times straight!

ashley
11/3/2009, 07:01 AM
Coaching football is in fact not rocket science. Most anyone, if willing to devote the time to the game could do it. Yeah there are those that seem to have a knack for it, or are better motivators, or better organizers, or whatever, but understanding the game itself is just not terribly hard.

That's why it amuses me to pick at those that think, or try to act like there's some secret fount of knowledge that those that coach the game are able to tap into that a mere mortal has no access too.

Oh my, all my questions are answered, a b-ball coach. Wait till I tell all the guys about this.

OUmillenium
11/3/2009, 11:00 AM
Is that you Kevin Wilson? :D

You can't deny that he totally folded with playcalling against Miami and Texas. BYU loss I can pin on losing Sam, and it is difficult to throw a green quarterback into a game. The Texas loss, Wilson was pretty predictable in that game too, and factor in poor preparation. Screen after screen into the flats and go figure Muschamp caught on to that. The one thing I criticize Wilson the most are his schemes for running plays. Very little to no option at all. We installed the two back set/misdirection plays against Tulsa. (Why not against Texas, or Miami to keep them guessing????)

He is a decent coordinator, but facing some top competition his record speaks for itself. Could be because of his Big 10 roots.

SPEKKOING!