PDA

View Full Version : Rank the Big 12 coaches

Collier11
10/30/2009, 03:11 PM
1: Stoops - ut fans can say all they want how ut has won 4 out of 5 against us and their last few Bcs games, fact of the matter is Stoops has 6 conf titles to 1 and 4 natl title appearances to 1. I may be biased but im still right!
2: Mack
3: Leach
4: Mangino
5: Snyder
6: Gundy
7: Pelini
8: Rhodes
9: Briles
10: Pinkel
11: Sherman
12: Hawkins

Flagstaffsooner
10/30/2009, 03:16 PM
Mangino should be #2 for turning that program around.
Mack should be #8 for blowing it year after year.

badger
10/30/2009, 03:28 PM
The job Rhodes has done at ISU so far (they have the same record as OU right now... wha wha WHAT?!?!?) should warrant a high ranking, but it is far too early in his career to determine where he should be.

I think Mack and Stoops have earned equal billing at the top. Mack can recruit, Stoops can get the hardware. Mack drops a few games he shouldn't so does Stoops.

I would give kudos to Mangino and Leach for the tremendous rebuilding jobs they have done at their universities... and I can toss Snyder in there too, considering how craptacular KSU used to be.

High Tier:
Stoops, Mack, Mangino, Leach, Snyder (in that order, hehe)

Mid Tier:
Pelini (has a lot to prove still), Rhodes (ditto), Pinkel (haha), Briles (too early to tell)

Low tier:
Gundy (we're all waiting for the inevitable meltdown), Sherman (they already have had theirs)

Sh!t Tier:
Hawkins (there is absolutely no excuse for a coach who wins virtually every game at Boise State to go to another program and lose virtually every game... unless that coach is playing his son at QB)

TXBOOMER
10/30/2009, 03:30 PM
Stoops is the obvious # 1. If I had to replace him with any coach on that list I would go with Briles. After that I would have to put Snyder, Mangino and Leach in no particular order with Mack coming in at 6. There is a big gap between these guys and the remainder in my opinion.

Collier11
10/30/2009, 03:32 PM
C'mon guys lets be realstic. There is no way Mack should be lower than #2, the guy can flat out coach, he just cant coach quite as well as Stoops :D

rainiersooner
10/30/2009, 03:33 PM
I'd pick Mack after Stoops. I think he's a wanker, but his results are hard to argue with.

TXBOOMER
10/30/2009, 03:39 PM
C'mon guys lets be realstic. There is no way Mack should be lower than #2, the guy can flat out coach, he just cant coach quite as well as Stoops :D

Mack is a good coach. I believe Briles, Mangino, Snyder, and Leach would have more Big 12 Championships than Mack if they had been in Austin during the same period.

MeMyself&Me
10/30/2009, 03:46 PM
Mack is a good coach. I believe Briles, Mangino, Snyder, and Leach would have more Big 12 Championships than Mack if they had been in Austin during the same period.

This is a point a lot of people refuse to acknowledge. There is a tremendous advantage to being the coach at * in terms of what a given coach can accomplish.

badger
10/30/2009, 03:48 PM
Having more talent can absolutely change a solid coach's mindset.

I think it would be fair to say that Hawkie had more talent at Colorado than at Boise.... but wins did not follow.

When former OU basketball coach Kelvin Sampson seemed to get more-starred recruits than before, that didn't equate to more Final Fours.

I doubt that almost any of the Big 12 coaches could have similar or increased success just by moving to UT or to OU.

Collier11
10/30/2009, 03:48 PM
and Mack still has a natl title while those other guys dont even have conf titles except snyder, just sayin

TXBOOMER
10/30/2009, 03:49 PM
This is a point a lot of people refuse to acknowledge. There is a tremendous advantage to being the coach at * in terms of what a given coach can accomplish.

True...They pretty much get their pick of the texass high school talent other than what OU can sway away or LSU can pay away.

TXBOOMER
10/30/2009, 03:50 PM
Having more talent can absolutely change a solid coach's mindset.

I think it would be fair to say that Hawkie had more talent at Colorado than at Boise.... but wins did not follow.

When former OU basketball coach Kelvin Sampson seemed to get more-starred recruits than before, that didn't equate to more Final Fours.

I doubt that almost any of the Big 12 coaches could have similar or increased success just by moving to UT or to OU.

Competition is a little tougher in this league. Boise is on top in their league CU not so much.

TXBOOMER
10/30/2009, 03:52 PM
and Mack still has a natl title while those other guys dont even have conf titles except snyder, just sayin

Briles won his conference at UH. Mack had never won a conference Championship before he got to texass.

badger
10/30/2009, 03:52 PM
Competition is a little tougher in this league. Boise is on top in their league CU not so much.

OK, so that was a weird example, but I really don't think that a coach would go into a new place without changing his mindset a little, which could adversely affect his coaching abilities.

All you can rank the coaches on is how they are doing in their current situation, not how you would speculate that they'd do at a different college, because there's no telling how bad they'd be at a new place... like Hawkins.

Collier11
10/30/2009, 03:53 PM
I realize this, I criticize Mack just as much as the next person but I also realize that he has taken ut to levels that they werent at since the 60's and 70's

TXBOOMER
10/30/2009, 04:07 PM
OK, so that was a weird example, but I really don't think that a coach would go into a new place without changing his mindset a little, which could adversely affect his coaching abilities.

All you can rank the coaches on is how they are doing in their current situation, not how you would speculate that they'd do at a different college, because there's no telling how bad they'd be at a new place... like Hawkins.

I ranked the in the order that I would pick a coach to head up OU.

By the way, I just noticed your avatar. LOL

badger
10/30/2009, 04:15 PM
By the way, I just noticed your avatar. LOL

I used to have Kenney as South Park's Kenny... till Stoops yelled at him last weekend. I was ready to yell at him too... but instead, I just switched the avvie with the first thing that came to mind.

ADron better not let me down now too :(

FaninAma
10/30/2009, 04:23 PM
1: Stoops - ut fans can say all they want how ut has won 4 out of 5 against us and their last few Bcs games, fact of the matter is Stoops has 6 conf titles to 1 and 4 natl title appearances to 1. I may be biased but im still right!
2: Mack
3: Leach
4: Mangino
5: Snyder
6: Gundy
7: Pelini
8: Rhodes
9: Briles
10: Pinkel
11: Sherman
12: Hawkins

Mack isn't a coach, he's an administrator but he does that part of his job very well.

Texas wins like the Yankees do....the Yankees buy the best player talent available while UT buys the best coaching talent available.

StoopTroup
10/30/2009, 04:25 PM
Stoops #1.

The rest really don't matter...they are all way to far behind. It's really not fair even grading them on a curve.

ashley
10/30/2009, 04:55 PM
Mack is indeed a very good coach and great recruiter, but how would he do at Baylor. He does have one of the three best jobs in the nation recruiting wise.

rawlingsHOH
10/30/2009, 04:59 PM
Mack is indeed a very good coach and great recruiter, but how would he do at Baylor. He does have one of the three best jobs in the nation recruiting wise.
1. Texas
2. Florida
3. USC

Crucifax Autumn
10/30/2009, 05:02 PM
1. Stoops
2. Everyone but Hawkins
12. Hawkins

badger
10/30/2009, 05:20 PM
1. Stoops
2. Everyone but Hawkins
12. Hawkins

Good summary. Hawk, wow, man. Colorado went from winning the Big 12 North (and even the whole d@mn conference) down to being mediocre, period.

StoopTroup
10/30/2009, 05:30 PM

POST REPORTED

soonervegas
10/30/2009, 05:56 PM
We are Aggie.

mightysooner
10/30/2009, 06:34 PM
Hmmm....I'd have to take my homer glasses off and bump Mack up over Stoops (for now). He's beaten Stoops head to head 4 out of the last 5 and he doesn't lose his bowl games.

Collier11
10/30/2009, 06:57 PM
and still no big 12 titles, thats like given the guy credit for taking home all the hot girls but not giving the guy credit who married the hot girl

mightysooner
10/30/2009, 07:18 PM
and still no big 12 titles, thats like given the guy credit for taking home all the hot girls but not giving the guy credit who married the hot girl

Um....Mack has a big twelve title. 1 national title. And an 8-3 bowl record.

Collier11
10/30/2009, 07:32 PM
Mack has 1 conf title in 30 years of being a HC, Stoops has 6 in 10+ yrs. Mack has been to the natl title once, Stoops has been 4 times. Big diff

TXBOOMER
10/30/2009, 07:41 PM
All I can say is I'm glad that Bob came to OU and not texass. I'm also glad Saban is not in Austin.

mightysooner
10/30/2009, 07:41 PM
Mack has 1 conf title in 30 years of being a HC, Stoops has 6 in 10+ yrs. Mack has been to the natl title once, Stoops has been 4 times. Big diff

Who's beating whom regularly? And who wins all his big games on a national stage when the whole world is watching, including the tough ones that go down to the wire, year in and year out, regardless of what talent leaves?

At the end of this season Mack will have his second Big XII title and perhaps a national title. We'll see....

Soonerwake
10/30/2009, 07:47 PM
If you add in coaches from the past, this list would still favor OU, Texas, and Nebraska. Several schools wouldn't make the list if it was expanded to 20.

OU - Wilkinson, Switzer, Stoops, Owens
UT - Mack, Royal
NU - Osborne, Devaney

Collier11
10/30/2009, 08:01 PM
Who's beating whom regularly? And who wins all his big games on a national stage when the whole world is watching, including the tough ones that go down to the wire, year in and year out, regardless of what talent leaves?

At the end of this season Mack will have his second Big XII title and perhaps a national title. We'll see....

Winning championships is all that matters, Mack has a 30 year career and has exactly 2, Stoops has a 10 year career and has exactly 7. It doesnt matter if mack beats Stoops 10 times in a row(other than half of the people on this board would commit suicide) if Stoops wins 7 more conf titles in that time

mightysooner
10/30/2009, 08:10 PM
Winning championships is all that matters, Mack has a 30 year career and has exactly 2, Stoops has a 10 year career and has exactly 7. It doesnt matter if mack beats Stoops 10 times in a row(other than half of the people on this board would commit suicide) if Stoops wins 7 more conf titles in that time

Conference titles are becoming about as hollow to me as Dolly Parton's head given the low level of competition from the North contender and what happens to us after that game every year. Winning your average conference ever year and then going on to get embarrassed on a grand stage doesn't appeal to me anymore. The national opinion of us is very low. The national opinion of Mack is very high. Are all those people really wrong?

TXBOOMER
10/30/2009, 08:32 PM
Conference titles are becoming about as hollow to me as Dolly Parton's head given the low level of competition from the North contender and what happens to us after that game every year. Winning your average conference ever year and then going on to get embarrassed on a grand stage doesn't appeal to me anymore. The national opinion of us is very low. The national opinion of Mack is very high. Are all those people really wrong?

I'm as sick of losing these bowl games as anyone...BUT.... How would you feel if Bob beat texass and then went on to choke off against aTm or tech and let texass end up winning the Big 12. I think your opinion would be different. Just give that an honest thought and I think you will change your mind.

stoopified
10/30/2009, 10:25 PM
Stoops #1.

The rest really don't matter...they are all way to far behind. It's really not fair even grading them on a curve.We have a winner

JLEW1818
10/30/2009, 10:28 PM
Stoops
brown

Nobody even close

westcoast_sooner
10/30/2009, 11:19 PM
The job Rhodes has done at ISU so far (they have the same record as OU right now... wha wha WHAT?!?!?) should warrant a high ranking, but it is far too early in his career to determine where he should be.

I think Mack and Stoops have earned equal billing at the top. Mack can recruit, Stoops can get the hardware. Mack drops a few games he shouldn't so does Stoops.

I would give kudos to Mangino and Leach for the tremendous rebuilding jobs they have done at their universities... and I can toss Snyder in there too, considering how craptacular KSU used to be.

High Tier:
Stoops, Mack, Mangino, Leach, Snyder (in that order, hehe)

Mid Tier:
Pelini (has a lot to prove still), Rhodes (ditto), Pinkel (haha), Briles (too early to tell)

Low tier:
Gundy (we're all waiting for the inevitable meltdown), Sherman (they already have had theirs)

Sh!t Tier:
Hawkins (there is absolutely no excuse for a coach who wins virtually every game at Boise State to go to another program and lose virtually every game... unless that coach is playing his son at QB)

Needed the names for reference, and I like the way this guy had tiered coaching:

Upper Echelon:
Stoops say what you want - the win/loss record is up there with the other 2 best at OU
Mack - Mack consistently pulls in top recruits and puts winning teams on the field.

Hoping to break into the upper echelon:
Leach, Mangino - great coaches that makes the most of the talent they get.

Over the Hill and hopes he can bring the program back, but won't:
Synder - inflated a baloon in Manhattan, only to watch it fly off in a Kansas tornado. Now he's back thinking he can do the same? Pucker up Billy....I don't think so.

Still needs to prove he can build a program:
Pelini - The jury is still out on Bo. I think he's got 2 more years before the Huskers get restless. He'll need to win the North next year, and then again in 2011 to keep his job.
Briles - Wanted to put him in the "lost cause" category, but it's too soon to tell with the injuries he's had this year.
Pinkel - trying desperately to re-live the "Daniel" years already.

Hopes money can buy him a program:
Gundy - T Boone's money can't sell out a stadium in Stoolwater. Gundy gets basically left-over recruits and isn't really interested in playing defense - in a word - he's Leach without the endearing qualities of Fat Girlfriends and Pirates.
Sherman - is starting to get good recruits, but hasn't managed to turn them into a real consistent football team yet.

Hopeless Causes:
Hawkins - Pulling his own son from QB had to be tough, but did it make the team, or lose it? I'm betting (hoping?) on more trouble in Boulder and they'll be stuck with him for a couple more years.
Whoever coaches at Iowa State. - Is Iowa State really a Big 12 team?

gaylordfan1
10/30/2009, 11:38 PM
Well for one, I have a lot of respect for Badger! Girl knows what she's talking about. I will go for Stoops for # 1 bc he is my/our coach! Mack is an obvious second. My third is Leach.... that man can coach! He maybe gets a star recruit every 4-6 years... all the other are just players.... which he picks. He recruits players to fit his system, not players with high marks. IMO he has done more with less.

Crucifax Autumn
10/30/2009, 11:39 PM
heh...Badger the guy!

westcoast_sooner
10/31/2009, 12:01 AM

You would think that to get to a head coaching position anywhere, you would be aware of the situation, politics, etc. But I think history shows it's really hard for a guy who is successful at one school/team/location to be necessarily successful at his next job.

Spurrier went from UF to the Redskins in the NFL to South Carolina. He really hasn't enjoyed the success at either of his subsequent jobs as he did at Florida.

Lou Holtz had success at both Arkie and Notre Dame, but didn't fare well either in the NFL or at South Carolina.

Dan Hawkins was really successful at Boise - yet CU - not so much.

OTOH, Pete Carroll failed in the NFL, but is very successful at USC.

I think the bottom line is that success in the coaching ranks is really a matter of circumstances in the beginning which allow you to build/continue a program.

Bob Stoops was blessed with a lot of support from the the university his first couple of years (winning a MNC in year 2) which propelled the program to national prominence. If there had been major injuries in 2000 at key positions, who knows how things would have played out.

One of my favorite coaches of all time was Bum Phillips - who said "he can beat your-en with his'em and he can beat his'em with you-en". A coach like that is a very rare find - a guy like Mike Holmgren.

gaylordfan1
10/31/2009, 12:34 AM
Ok, I've been called to the carpet once already.... Badger is a she? Right? I know she is a she. I like her posts...